collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf thread  (Read 34318 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Golf thread
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
West Michigan.   Yesterday.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2018, 10:33:59 PM »
My son and I are playing Dubsdread at Cog Hill on Saturday. Curious on who has played there and thoughts. I have walked the course many times when PGA stop, but never played there. Just decided we are playing the Blue tees and very jacked up.

I played there many times, Goose, but last time was probably 2007 or 2008. So I don't know if they've made any changes. It's a very difficult but very fair test. Like most difficult courses, if you live off of the fairway, you're in trouble. Hit the short stuff, and you've got a chance.

Being a high-handicapper, I never played from the tips. You sound like a good player, so maybe that's what you'll do. THAT would be a major test.

The first few holes are the easiest. You definitely want to make hay early, so I recommend getting nice and warmed up before you tee off No. 1

Whenever I played it, I found the course to be in exquisite condition despite the fairly high number of rounds it logged. The Jemseks did a great job with it. I loved Cog #2, as well. It's challenging but a little more sporty and definitely more walkable.

Good luck. Let us know how it went!

BTW, I played today on a course nowhere near as good or challenging as Dubs. I needed to par my last two to shoot 90 - which is pretty good for me, bogey golf. And I actually got the pars; my birdie putt on 18 burned the hole even.

But had I been playing Dubs today, I probably wouldn't have sniffed 100.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »
MU 82

Thanks for the Dubs info. As I mentioned, I have been there a dozen times watching the Tour guys, but first time on the course as a player tomorrow.

We debated between gold and blue tees and decided on the blue. The tips were never in play. Twenty years ago I would have jumped at playing the tips, now I know my limitations.

I am very jacked to play and hoping to continue my minor golfing resurgence. My best round this year was Erin Hills and hoping this historic track brings out my best.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »
Got Sunday Masters tickets for next year. Anyone been?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »
PTM

Congrats. Only been a practice round and top five highlight of my golfing life. Have a blast!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »

The mountain top.   Enjoy. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2018, 04:52:00 PM »

Ass.  I must have entered online for the past 6 years, with zip.

But nonetheless, congrats.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2018, 05:41:40 PM »
I got 2 for Saturday.  I too would love to hear from anyone who's been.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »
I plan on gift shopping hard, let me know if you guys want anything.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
I went to the 2008 Masters.

One of the most boring Masters ever, won by one of the least accomplished Masters champions ever.

Trevor Immelman led from wire-to-wire and never was challenged on Sunday, when he built a 2-stroke lead on the 5th hole and nobody ever got closer. Tiger finished second, but he never threatened, losing by 3 strokes after making a meaningless birdie on 18. (Who could have guessed that Tiger would win the U.S. Open a couple months later and then never win another major?!?!)

Aside from the lack of drama, however, the experience was outstanding.

The weather was close to perfect all weekend, the grounds were in perfect condition, the entire facility actually exceeded my very lofty expectations going in. I am a skeptic by nature, and I was determined not to fawn over the place ... and I failed. It was too beautiful and all I could think (the first day especially) was how lucky I was to be there.

A few impressions -- keeping in mind that some of these things might have changed:

++ I was shocked at how inexpensive the food was. Pimento cheese sammiches (local treat), $1.50, soda $1, beer $2. Other food similarly cheaper than ballpark food was 25 years earlier.

++ Souvenir prices were higher but not outrageously so. I bought a couple of Ben Hogan polos (still have 'em, still wear 'em, still in good shape), a hat (still have it and wear it occasionally but not for golf because I don't want to mess it up), a greens tool/ballmarker set, a few other things. They weren't "cheap," but they weren't nearly as expensive as I expected. They did have plenty of outrageously priced things, and kitschy things though. A set of 4 wine glasses - $360; a "special edition" keychain - $79; apron/oven mitt/potholder set - $25, etc.

++ I walked the course every day and it was challenging. There are a lot more hills and valleys than appear on TV.

++ No cellphones were allowed for the actual tournament days (they were for practice rounds). It was a nice respite from the things. Maybe they've changed this rule.

++ I asked an official where I could go to avoid the huge crowds yet still get the full Masters experience, and he suggested the small viewing area near the 11th tee. Sure enough, there weren't a lot of people there even though some big-name groups were coming through. After a few groups hit, I went down the fairway. From there I could see both the 11th and 12th greens.

++ As a sportswriter, I signed up for the lottery to play on the Monday after the tournament. Unfortunately, I wasn't chosen. It's supposedly a random thing, but I was warned that those covering the Masters for the first time almost never get "randomly" selected, so I wasn't too disappointed. I'm not sure the course could have survived me!

I couldn't justify spending $350/night for a crappy motel in Augusta, so I stayed outside of Columbia, about an hour away -- an easier trip than, say, Chicago to Joliet. There was a lot to choose from there.

There ya go ... a 5-minute Masters primer. Your results may vary!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2018, 08:17:28 PM »
Anyone gonna make the pilgrimage to the Black for the PGA next May?  My inlaws live in Bethpage so I think I might swing down from Boston.

Any tips on going to a major?  Been to plenty of PGA events in the past...was thinking of going a combo of Wed/Thur so see the most/best action.
I like to go on Thurs and follow the players I am interested  all the way around the course  and then on Sun I pick an early group to watch around the course and then watch the leaders come in.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2018, 08:23:16 PM »
The one thing I've always been curious about are the greens at Augusta. I want to go just to see the slopes and reads they're having to deal with that the TV doesn't show.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »
MU 82

We played Dubs on Saturday and very much enjoyed the course. It was in very good condition, minus many traps being partially washed out, but very wet. It played very long and the bunkers were a half shot penalty due to the condition. I did not hit the ball at all, with exception of the five greens I hit in regulation, and putting my way to an 89. Very good course and we will return. I felt it was well worth the $155 in green fees.

That said, aside from the the course, I found it to be a strange place. Customer service was not strong, amenities so-so and had a feel of a Door County resort golf from the 70's. I need to Whistling Straits amenities, but thought they are missing the boat on sprucing up the place and the staff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »
MU 82

We played Dubs on Saturday and very much enjoyed the course. It was in very good condition, minus many traps being partially washed out, but very wet. It played very long and the bunkers were a half shot penalty due to the condition. I did not hit the ball at all, with exception of the five greens I hit in regulation, and putting my way to an 89. Very good course and we will return. I felt it was well worth the $155 in green fees.

That said, aside from the the course, I found it to be a strange place. Customer service was not strong, amenities so-so and had a feel of a Door County resort golf from the 70's. I need to Whistling Straits amenities, but thought they are missing the boat on sprucing up the place and the staff.

Glad to hear you had fun, Goose. It's always tough to play an already-challenging course in wet conditions.

I'd have spun cartwheels if I ever shot an 89 at Dubs -- different folks, different expectations. And different strokes -- in my case, a lot of strokes every round - ha!

Sorry to hear that about the customer service and "un-spruced-up" facility. It was always in great shape when I played it 10+ years ago, and I always thought I was treated well.

If you do feel like returning, I'd also recommend #2. Very good course - or at least it was.

Actually, my favorite Jemsek course wasn't Cog but Pine Meadow up in Mundelein. I used to like playing there on a weekday afternoon, walking. Very walkable, very good test of golf, very beautiful property, very reasonable walking rates. Heck, I just checked it now and the twilight weekday walking rate is still only $41. (Cart is an extra 10-11, I think.) But again, I haven't played there since 2009, so I can't vouch for the conditions now.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »

++ I was shocked at how inexpensive the food was. Pimento cheese sammiches (local treat), $1.50, soda $1, beer $2. Other food similarly cheaper than ballpark food was 25 years earlier.   I went to the Wednesday practice round this year.  Beer was $5 for a 16 oz pour.  The pimento cheese sammie was horrible (IMHO) but hte $3 BBQ was outstanding.

++ Souvenir prices were higher but not outrageously so. I bought a couple of Ben Hogan polos (still have 'em, still wear 'em, still in good shape), a hat (still have it and wear it occasionally but not for golf because I don't want to mess it up), a greens tool/ballmarker set, a few other things. They weren't "cheap," but they weren't nearly as expensive as I expected. They did have plenty of outrageously priced things, and kitschy things though. A set of 4 wine glasses - $360; a "special edition" keychain - $79; apron/oven mitt/potholder set - $25, etc.  I got out of the merchandise "tent" with only $400 in damage.  I overheard some talking about the $1,000s they spent.  It wouldn't be hard to do.  But if you want Master's attire or anything else Master's, it's the only place to get it.

++ I walked the course every day and it was challenging. There are a lot more hills and valleys than appear on TV.  It's definitely more hilly than you can imagine by just watching on TV.  It's also more green than you can imagine.  Everything is green, including the beer cups I had and the sandwich wrappers, so if you drop one, it'll look green on TV.

++ No cellphones were allowed for the actual tournament days (they were for practice rounds). It was a nice respite from the things. Maybe they've changed this rule.  This is still the rule, even for the Wednesday practice round.  You could take a camera but not a phone/camera.  There are banks of phones though so if you need to make a call, you can do so anywhere in the country.

I couldn't justify spending $350/night for a crappy motel in Augusta, so I stayed outside of Columbia, about an hour away -- an easier trip than, say, Chicago to Joliet. There was a lot to choose from there.  We flew into Charlotte, stayed and played at the Ballantyne, and made the 2 1/2 hour trip the following day to Augusta.  The parking is free, but get there early.   

There ya go ... a 5-minute Masters primer. Your results may vary!  Fantastic experience.  Keep putting your name in the lottery and go when you can!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »

Thanks for adding your perspective.

Those are still fairly cheap food/bev prices, but that is a 150% increase in beer in only 10 years time! I actually love pimento cheese, but I agree those sammiches blow.

I spent about $200 on souvies. As I said, I still have everything except I lost the little ball marker.

If you go again, and come through Charlotte again, and want to get together for a beer, PM me.

I might go back to the Masters someday, but if I do it won't be as a member of the media. So there will be no lottery for me to enter to play on Monday.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
Thinking about staying in Charlotte as well, golfing area until Sunday. Any recommendations?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »

Actually, my favorite Jemsek course wasn't Cog but Pine Meadow up in Mundelein. I used to like playing there on a weekday afternoon, walking. Very walkable, very good test of golf, very beautiful property, very reasonable walking rates. Heck, I just checked it now and the twilight weekday walking rate is still only $41. (Cart is an extra 10-11, I think.) But again, I haven't played there since 2009, so I can't vouch for the conditions now.

Mike - Only played Dubs twice, but played Pine Meadow 20+ times. Both great tracks but Pine Meadow, though challenging, was more playable for the average golfer. Last time I played there (2015?) the greens were damaged by some kind fungus - but it was still fun.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2018, 10:06:36 PM »
Mike - Only played Dubs twice, but played Pine Meadow 20+ times. Both great tracks but Pine Meadow, though challenging, was more playable for the average golfer. Last time I played there (2015?) the greens were damaged by some kind fungus - but it was still fun.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Pine Meadow. I hope they no longer have fungus among us!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2018, 10:07:12 PM »
Thinking about staying in Charlotte as well, golfing area until Sunday. Any recommendations?

PM me with some specific questions if you have them. I'll be happy to answer best I can.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
Tiger within shouting distance at another tournament in the final round. He’s starting to put it together more in tournaments, just needs to figure out how to break through.

If he can get a win before Augusta, I think he could be a strong contender. Trying to win for the first time in awhile at the Masters wouldn’t be an easy task.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
Tiger within shouting distance at another tournament in the final round. He’s starting to put it together more in tournaments, just needs to figure out how to break through.

If he can get a win before Augusta, I think he could be a strong contender. Trying to win for the first time in awhile at the Masters wouldn’t be an easy task.

Right now, he's kind of Matt Kuchar. Obviously talented, has all the shots, just can't quite put everything together. Of course, one could argue that's not entirely fair to Kuchar, who actually wins a tournament every now and again while saving most of his choking for the majors.

It would be a great thing for golf if Tiger can be Tiger circa 2005 at Augusta. It's already good for golf that he is contending again.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »
Right now, he's kind of Matt Kuchar. Obviously talented, has all the shots, just can't quite put everything together. Of course, one could argue that's not entirely fair to Kuchar, who actually wins a tournament every now and again while saving most of his choking for the majors.

It would be a great thing for golf if Tiger can be Tiger circa 2005 at Augusta. It's already good for golf that he is contending again.

I was listening a podcast where one of the folks brought up a really good point....if you look at how Tiger is approaching tournaments this year it is definitely to make cuts and play as many rounds as possible. He doesn't start to get aggressive per se until Saturdays (has the best Saturday scoring average of anyone on the tour this season). As he starts to feel more comfortable that he can sustain aggression across 4 days you'll see him start to score on Thursdays and Fridays. He shouldn't need to heroic Sunday results to contend, he'll be there when the round starts on Sunday.

I don't think Swashbuckling Tiger comes back, but I've never been more confident that Tiger has 3 more majors in him before he's done. I think next year's Masters is a must see for Tiger barring some sort of health setback or him being "Mr Come for Your Girl" with DJ or something like that.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »
I was listening a podcast where one of the folks brought up a really good point....if you look at how Tiger is approaching tournaments this year it is definitely to make cuts and play as many rounds as possible. He doesn't start to get aggressive per se until Saturdays (has the best Saturday scoring average of anyone on the tour this season). As he starts to feel more comfortable that he can sustain aggression across 4 days you'll see him start to score on Thursdays and Fridays. He shouldn't need to heroic Sunday results to contend, he'll be there when the round starts on Sunday.

I don't think Swashbuckling Tiger comes back, but I've never been more confident that Tiger has 3 more majors in him before he's done. I think next year's Masters is a must see for Tiger barring some sort of health setback or him being "Mr Come for Your Girl" with DJ or something like that.

Interesting viewpoint, mu03.

I don't know about 3 more majors, but I'd be surprised if he never wins another. And sure, 2 or 3 or more are possible ... just as they are possible for any of the very good players on tour.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2018, 07:08:56 PM »
Tiger with a share of the lead on Thursday.

Will he finally notch a win heading into Paris?