[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Good Karma Brands Purchases WTMJ-AM and WKTI  (Read 5843 times)

MarqKarp

• Starter
Good Karma Brands Purchases WTMJ-AM and WKTI
« on: July 27, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
http://goodkarmabrands.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/GKB_Scripps-Acquisition-Release_FINAL.pdf

Good Karma Brands also owns 540, the home of MU hoops.   I wonder how this deal (if at all) will effect future MU radio broadcasts?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Good Karma Brands Purchases WTMJ-AM and WKTI
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »
Upgrade to the 540 transmitter to dual-hamster?

Ardmore Mug

• All American
ESPN 540 owner bought WTMJ 620
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 04:12:14 PM »
I saw an article in the Business Journal, that says Karshian (sp) owners of540 bought the 2 Journal radio stations.   Evidently, the WTMJ TV owners (Scripps) wanted out of the radio business .   I wonder if this might impact MUBB broadcasts in upcoming years ???   One could only hope.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2018/07/27/wtmj-am-wkti-being-bought-owner-espn-radio-milwaukee-wauk-scripps-good-karma-brands/848437002/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:15:48 PM by guzica »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 06:59:10 AM »
Be really good karma if we were on WTMJ 620 AM for all our basketball games.

Yes, I still listen to AM radio!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »

I really don't see it.  When TMJ and Bucky parted ways that may have signaled something.  Of course it could all have been about the package costing too much.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »

Don't see MU on WTMJ happening.  We would be fourth in the pecking order behind the Brewers, Packers, and Bucks.  One of the reasons that the Badgers departed the station is that they wanted "clearance" over those teams instead of their games consistently being bumped to other stations.  WTMJ obviously said "no way."  We're probably better off being the big fish in a small pond.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 07:22:57 AM »
I still get my Marquette basketball news by telegraph.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »
One of the reasons that the Badgers departed the station is that they wanted "clearance" over those teams instead of their games consistently being bumped to other stations.  WTMJ obviously said "no way." 

My understanding at the time was the Red Rodent wanted too much money.

For football, I may be wrong but I thought they were getting clearance over the Brewers. The Packers don't matter because the Red Rodent plays on Saturday and the Packers on Sunday.

For Red Rodent basketball, that's another story. A Sunday afternoon or Monday night game will NEVER get clearance over the Green Bay Packers. Ever. Playing a Rodent game on Sunday during football season is absurd, because you would have about 125 people listening if it was on opposite a Packers game (the 125 are players families and relatives of Bo Ryan). The conflicts are with the Milwaukee Bucks and who won that battle depended on whose team was better.

The Rodent's issue ultimately was whether they wanted to be the Junior Partner on Wisconsin's Big Stick or they wanted to be the dominant voice on a CB radio. That's the same choice we face.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:20:25 AM »
My understanding at the time was the Red Rodent wanted too much money.

For football, I may be wrong but I thought they were getting clearance over the Brewers. The Packers don't matter because the Red Rodent plays on Saturday and the Packers on Sunday.

For Red Rodent basketball, that's another story. A Sunday afternoon or Monday night game will NEVER get clearance over the Green Bay Packers. Ever. Playing a Rodent game on Sunday during football season is absurd, because you would have about 125 people listening if it was on opposite a Packers game (the 125 are players families and relatives of Bo Ryan). The conflicts are with the Milwaukee Bucks and who won that battle depended on whose team was better.

The Rodent's issue ultimately was whether they wanted to be the Junior Partner on Wisconsin's Big Stick or they wanted to be the dominant voice on a CB radio. That's the same choice we face.

This is why MU could end up on 620:

#1 - Marquette doesn't have football... so no radio-dick measuring contests to worry about there.

#2 - I seem to recall very few Big East basketball games in conflict with the NFL.  Probably has something to do with a) FS1 not wanting to go up against the mothership and b) with only 10 teams, you can easily schedule weekend slate around NFL, which isn't so easy with 14, 16 or 18 teams.

#3 - To the bolded portion above, the probability of a Bucks/Marquette conflict is 50% that of a Bucks/Badgers conflict.

#4 - Hard to make the hometown radio partner happy when 620 AM comes in clear as day in Madison.  For that matter, it's hard to make several of the radio affiliates happy when they overlap TMJ's listening area.  (i.e. Marquette's existing radio network being much smaller creates fewer conflicts with the local affiliates).

#5 - It's not an earthmover, but MU playing in the new arena is a modest bump to its relevancy factor outside Milwaukee.  That's meaningful to any media partners, even radio.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »
Upgrade to the 540 transmitter to dual-hamster?

This would be just my luck...  I recently upgraded to an FCA vehicle because the am radio receiver is so much better than the Saab I got rid of.    I was all excited I'd be able to hear pre/post game talk and the Thursday shows... yet now apparently it seems I could have still rocked the Saab a few more years!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 12:28:34 PM »

This would be just my luck...  I recently upgraded to an FCA vehicle because the am radio receiver is so much better than the Saab I got rid of.    I was all excited I'd be able to hear pre/post game talk and the Thursday shows... yet now apparently it seems I could have still rocked the Saab a few more years!

You changed vehicles because of AM radio coverage?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
You changed vehicles because of AM radio coverage?

My smartphone is 4.5 years old... it's so full of pics and videos that I don't have room to install the tunin app.   What else am I supposed to do?   Plus it's amazing how well 540 comes in now on the new vehicle.

But no... I may have exaggerated the "because" part of that post.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
This is why MU could end up on 620:

#1 - Marquette doesn't have football... so no radio-dick measuring contests to worry about there.

#2 - I seem to recall very few Big East basketball games in conflict with the NFL.  Probably has something to do with a) FS1 not wanting to go up against the mothership and b) with only 10 teams, you can easily schedule weekend slate around NFL, which isn't so easy with 14, 16 or 18 teams.

#3 - To the bolded portion above, the probability of a Bucks/Marquette conflict is 50% that of a Bucks/Badgers conflict.

#4 - Hard to make the hometown radio partner happy when 620 AM comes in clear as day in Madison.  For that matter, it's hard to make several of the radio affiliates happy when they overlap TMJ's listening area.  (i.e. Marquette's existing radio network being much smaller creates fewer conflicts with the local affiliates).

#5 - It's not an earthmover, but MU playing in the new arena is a modest bump to its relevancy factor outside Milwaukee.  That's meaningful to any media partners, even radio.

Why MU might not end up on 620.  It's not all that popular a broadcast.  Does Marquette basketball draw a larger audience than TMJ's regular evening programming?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »

My smartphone is 4.5 years old... it's so full of pics and videos that I don't have room to install the tunin app.   What else am I supposed to do?   Plus it's amazing how well 540 comes in now on the new vehicle.

You can put your dick pics out der on da cloud for like three bones a moon, aina.

Free up Dee ifone data ta listen to AM radio apps in the Saab, kin.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 10:29:37 PM »

Why MU might not end up on 620.  It's not all that popular a broadcast.  Does Marquette basketball draw a larger audience than TMJ's regular evening programming?

On the margin, I would think so.  You’d be surprised at how many people don’t change the station in their car... that’s pretty much the only people who listen to the evening programming as it is, so Marquette would - almost by default - be an improvement.  The real question is how much of an improvement, and to that, I have no clue.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2018/10/26/wkti-fm-move-country-music-sports-under-new-owner-good-karma-espn-radio-milwaukee/1774328002/

MU on FM...WKTI?  It says" Initially, WKTI and WAUK will carry the same programming, including local on-air sports personalities Mark Tauscher and Steve “The Homer” True. "  Does that include MU games?

MarqKarp

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 01:01:10 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2018/10/26/wkti-fm-move-country-music-sports-under-new-owner-good-karma-espn-radio-milwaukee/1774328002/

MU on FM...WKTI?  It says" Initially, WKTI and WAUK will carry the same programming, including local on-air sports personalities Mark Tauscher and Steve “The Homer” True. "  Does that include MU games?

I would imagine so, at least initially.  This is great news for MU and MU fans.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »

Maybe transferred the pics and videos to your computer?

I’m guessing you’ll buy a phone with more space, however.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 11:50:18 AM »
Maybe leaving WISN for a two bit station was a colossally stupid decision by Marquette leaving us wanting a move to TMJ so badly that is highly unlikely to happen for reasons stated?!  Nah, that's right wing radio over there, nobody listens to that ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 04:46:58 PM »
Maybe leaving WISN for a two bit station was a colossally stupid decision by Marquette leaving us wanting a move to TMJ so badly that is highly unlikely to happen for reasons stated?!  Nah, that's right wing radio over there, nobody listens to that ::)

If 540 offered them more money, they should take the money.  Why assume it was for politics?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 11:36:19 PM »

If 540 offered them more money, they should take the money.  Why assume it was for politics?

Yup.

It's always about the $$$$$.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 06:02:30 AM »
MU and belling don't much like each other and my hunch is that MU does not want to do business with anything MB has his fingers on.  belling likes to run his show past the 6 o'clock hour to random times when he wants to get more chit in, although he did get out of the way of uwm b-ball as it occurred 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »
MU and belling don't much like each other and my hunch is that MU does not want to do business with anything MB has his fingers on.  belling likes to run his show past the 6 o'clock hour to random times when he wants to get more chit in, although he did get out of the way of uwm b-ball as it occurred

::)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »
One call, that's all thru sum sheckles Craig's wey. 'Sposin' his commercials wiil bee evan mor prevalent, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
::)

ok, i'll try another one-wisn's signal after sundown sucks as bad as 540 except i might be able to hear the post game at least thru the zoo interchange...then it's back to old yeller for the rest of the ride home :D
don't...don't don't don't don't