[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 NBA Draft  (Read 16969 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2018 NBA Draft
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
I didn't even watch/follow the draft. I just don't understand the point of "breaking" the news of a pick just before it happens other than for the reporter to be able to pound his chest.

Well, there's the "It's his job" angle. That is, Woj's job is to be the first with news of interest to NBA fans. That draws interest/viewership to his employer.
What would be the point of him developing sources, obtaining information and then sitting on it until it's announced publicly?
As Sultan aptly points out, it's stupid for ESPN to hire a guy who's built a brand on knowing and reporting NBA news before anyone else, and then expect him not to do that. He's doing exactly what they hired him to do (and I very much doubt they're upset with him for doing it on draft night).

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
Fire Woj!

Wait, I'm in the wrong thread. Sorry.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »

It was a ridiculous order. That’s why they hired him.

Regardless it’s ESPN’s problem if they want to deal with it. (They won’t do anything substantial.)  i much prefer reporters be allowed to do their job and not shackled by their employers.

When it's such a small window, I'd prefer GMs be able to do their job too. It's not like breaking these when they will be announced in a couple minutes is consequential.

I understand the whole "protect your leaks" aspect, but who does this actually serve to leak it 90 seconds early other than his ego?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
When it's such a small window, I'd prefer GMs be able to do their job too. It's not like breaking these when they will be announced in a couple minutes is consequential.

I understand the whole "protect your leaks" aspect, but who does this actually serve to leak it 90 seconds early other than his ego?

Exactly!

Breaking news on trades, free agency, coaching changes, rule changes, etc. That's actual worthwhile news to report. Saying who the Grizzlies are about to draft 2 minutes before it's announced? What purpose does that serve?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »

It was a ridiculous order. That’s why they hired him.

Regardless it’s ESPN’s problem if they want to deal with it. (They won’t do anything substantial.)  i much prefer reporters be allowed to do their job and not shackled by their employers.

It was the NBA that ordered it through ESPN, Turner Sports, and Yahoo. Woj basically mocked the notion. Guess it's just the new world order for the NBA.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »

Nothing Woj or any other reporter did during the draft prevented an NBA GM from doing his job.
You're shooting the messenger here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »
The problem isn't Woj, it's whoever is leaking things to Woj.

I'm always curious how reporters develop sources like this. What benefit does the leaker get? If I'm the Bucks GM, I would fire the guy who leaked the draft pick and cost them an additional first round pick. What benefit do they get that outweighs that risk?

I get it in whistleblower type situations but draft picks? Does the leaker just get a thrill out of it? Does Woj return the favor somehow?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »
I thought it was fun and hilarious how Woj was going to keep wording his tweets, I enjoyed that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
The problem isn't Woj, it's whoever is leaking things to Woj.

I'm always curious how reporters develop sources like this. What benefit does the leaker get? If I'm the Bucks GM, I would fire the guy who leaked the draft pick and cost them an additional first round pick. What benefit do they get that outweighs that risk?

I get it in whistleblower type situations but draft picks? Does the leaker just get a thrill out of it? Does Woj return the favor somehow?

I think the sources sometimes are agents and Woj shares info back.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2018, 05:46:05 PM »
I think the sources sometimes are agents and Woj shares info back.

True ... but the agents only know because the teams are telling them "we're taking your guy at 17."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2018, 05:47:25 PM »

Reporting often is a two-way street.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2018, 06:56:29 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
celtics pick #27 in round 1, robert williams, off to a tough start.  guys would be giving their left ones to be in his position

for those of you keeping score at home-spurned offer to be at draft in brooklyn(O....kay) over sleeps conference call day after draft after spending the previous night with family at buffalo wild wings...rescheduled call plagued by, ummmm, poor sound quality(hmmmmm)  missed flight for sunday's workout-awesome...any other teams in the market for a 6'10" "sleeper"??

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23967447/robert-williams-absent-boston-celtics-first-summer-league-practice
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »
I meant huge deal and stupid deal as the same thing. Didn't phrase it right. Should have read:

Well, there is a bigly difference between a huge/stupid contract - which those of Snell, Dellavedova and Henson are - and a max contract, which is what was being discussed by a few of us.

brand, I agree that there probably are owners who will pay too much for a guy like LaVine. I stand by my statement that there is 0.00% chance he will get a max contract -- which according to the Tribune would be a 5-year, $146 million deal.

You were correct with both statements.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
You were correct with both statements.

Even a blind squirrel ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback