[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 NBA Draft  (Read 16933 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2018 NBA Draft
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »
I didn't watch the last few picks and thought you were kidding. Wow. When is the last time a guy who averaged 15 minutes a game for a mid major that finished with a sub .500 record got drafted into the NBA?

This just proves Wojo should have taken him. Then we'd all have another Marquette player in the NBA.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
When is the last time a guy who averaged 15 minutes a game for a mid major that finished with a sub .500 record got drafted into the NBA?

Kostas is already 20.  Look at his Dayton stats.

Compare that to Giannis, who averaged 12.7 ppg and 6.7 rpg in the Association when he was 20.  Just a bit different, huh?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
Maybe Philly is thinking about using Kostas the way Wojo used Wally.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »
As a high jumpa, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »
From The Ringer:

The Mavericks started the night with a bang by trading up for Doncic. They ended it by trading for the no. 60 pick: Kostas Antetokounmpo. Giannis’s brother is raw both physically and as a player, but the tools are there for him to be an impact defender who can space the floor. Maybe if Kostas develops into a player for the Mavs, Giannis will have eyes for Dallas during his free agency in 2021. You never know.

Trust The Process

• Walk-On
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2018, 10:07:22 PM »
Maybe Philly is thinking about using Kostas the way Wojo used Wally.

He's a Mav anyway - welcome to the Texas Legends Kostas.

As for Mikal... not happy to say the least. Would have been a perfect 3 and D plug into our system that is severely needed.

Donte should be a good fit for the Bucks. That is, after he overcomes his far too commonplace brain lapses and puts all of his tools together as he did in the Bama and Michigan games.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2018, 09:27:58 PM »
He's a Mav anyway - welcome to the Texas Legends Kostas.

As for Mikal... not happy to say the least. Would have been a perfect 3 and D plug into our system that is severely needed.

Donte should be a good fit for the Bucks. That is, after he overcomes his far too commonplace brain lapses and puts all of his tools together as he did in the Bama and Michigan games.

Common brain lapses? I think he'll fit in on the Bucks just fine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2018, 02:10:11 PM »
Hornets signed J.P. Macura to a 2-way contract.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2018, 06:15:34 AM »
Bucks had a deal in place with Atlanta to drop from 17 to 19 because Atlanta wanted Huerter or another unidentified player and thought Bucks and Spurs would take both.

When Charania tweeted that the Bucks were taking DDV, Atlanta backed out of the deal.

Adrian Wojnarowski cost the Bucks a first round pick. Atlanta was willing to give up 19 & 30 to pick Huerter at 17. They had two guys targeted for 19 (Huerter was one of them) and Woj's tweet let them know at least one would be available.

If I'm Milwaukee, I'd be pissed. Not sure what they can do, but Woj tweeting hurts the draft process.

http://amp.si.com/nba/2018/06/23/mikal-bridges-zhaire-smith-donte-divincenzo-draft-trade-sixers-suns-bucks-pacers-hawks
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2018, 06:33:20 AM »
Adrian Wojnarowski cost the Bucks a first round pick. Atlanta was willing to give up 19 & 30 to pick Huerter at 17. They had two guys targeted for 19 (Huerter was one of them) and Woj's tweet let them know at least one would be available.

If I'm Milwaukee, I'd be pissed. Not sure what they can do, but Woj tweeting hurts the draft process.

http://amp.si.com/nba/2018/06/23/mikal-bridges-zhaire-smith-donte-divincenzo-draft-trade-sixers-suns-bucks-pacers-hawks

Bucks/ddv camp could have kept it quiet until announced. It's not like he's psychic. Someone is telling him the picks. Don't want him to tweet it? Don't tell him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
Right. I have no problem with what Woj did. That’s his job.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2018, 08:26:04 AM »
Trust me. You wouldn't have.
TAMU - Can you give a little insight on Williams. I see that you aren’t a fan. As a Celtics fan I loved the pick because we could definitely use some length/youth/athleticism in the front court. I’ve heard the knocks on Williams attitude/effort/commitment and I’m assuming it’s all legit given he dropped so far in the draft. How much of it is true and how much of it was maybe a bad culture down at A&M?

I still like the pick because the Celtics can afford a high risk high reward at this point. And I like to think that we have a great organization and staff that can get Williams on the right page.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »

Not his fault.  The guy that leaked the pick to him is the one that should get the blame. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »

First, it was  Shams Charania's tweet that tipped off the Hawks, not Woj's.
Second, this is a part of the draft process. Teams need to account for it like any other factor in the process. If they don't and get burned by it, that's on them, not a journalist doing his job.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »
Any sportswriter who leaks picks is doing nothing more than puffing his chest in an attempt to show how important and well-connected he is. It has nothing to do with breaking news and everything to do with stroking one's own ego.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »
Any sportswriter who leaks picks is doing nothing more than puffing his chest in an attempt to show how important and well-connected he is. It has nothing to do with breaking news and everything to do with stroking one's own ego.

Not really the case. I didn't watch any of the draft on TV but rather followed the picks on twitter through Woj and Shams.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2018, 12:11:47 PM »

I think it has as much to do with job security and salary as it does ego.  Access and favor with the sources you cover = $$.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »

1. It's not leaking anything. These aren't safely guarded state secrets here. It's passing along information.
2. It has everything to do with breaking news. It's literally the reason about 2.4 million people follow Woj on Twitter, because they want this news as quickly as possible. If he simply regurgitated the pciks after they were made on television, nobody would follow him.
3. What do you suggest, exactly? They not do their jobs? Again, if the Bucks or anyone else doesn't want this to happen, they should tell people who they're going to pick until they make the pick.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »
I think it has as much to do with job security and salary as it does ego.  Access and favor with the sources you cover = $$.

ESPN told him not to announce picks before they were made. Ordered, rather. That's why he worded them the way he did. Like Merritts said, this was ego flexing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
1. It's not leaking anything. These aren't safely guarded state secrets here. It's passing along information.
2. It has everything to do with breaking news. It's literally the reason about 2.4 million people follow Woj on Twitter, because they want this news as quickly as possible. If he simply regurgitated the pciks after they were made on television, nobody would follow him.
3. What do you suggest, exactly? They not do their jobs? Again, if the Bucks or anyone else doesn't want this to happen, they should tell people who they're going to pick until they make the pick.

You really think that 2.4M people follow Woj just so they can find out an NBA Draft pick 90 seconds before it's announced on TV?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
You really think that 2.4M people follow Woj just so they can find out an NBA Draft pick 90 seconds before it's announced on TV?

I think, as I've written already, that 2.4 million people follow him because they want NBA news as quickly as possible.
But I will note that he picked up nearly 50K followers in the three days before the draft.

Serious question ... why do you care? If you need to hear the draft picks from Adam Silver's mouth, and only Adam Silver's mouth, nothing is preventing that.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2018, 02:12:20 PM »
ESPN told him not to announce picks before they were made. Ordered, rather. That's why he worded them the way he did. Like Merritts said, this was ego flexing.

This ^

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »

It was a ridiculous order. That’s why they hired him.

Regardless it’s ESPN’s problem if they want to deal with it. (They won’t do anything substantial.)  i much prefer reporters be allowed to do their job and not shackled by their employers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2018, 03:15:50 PM »
I think, as I've written already, that 2.4 million people follow him because they want NBA news as quickly as possible.
But I will note that he picked up nearly 50K followers in the three days before the draft.

Serious question ... why do you care? If you need to hear the draft picks from Adam Silver's mouth, and only Adam Silver's mouth, nothing is preventing that.

Excellent question.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »

I didn't even watch/follow the draft. I just don't understand the point of "breaking" the news of a pick just before it happens other than for the reporter to be able to pound his chest.