[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Shaka on Thanasis' podcast by MarquetteMike1977
[June 14, 2024, 10:07:57 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by tower912
[June 14, 2024, 07:44:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread  (Read 20323 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2018, 07:46:32 AM »
Saquonered opportunity, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2018, 01:27:14 PM »
The Bulls got a great deal on the Parker contract. Kudos to the Bucks for removing the qualifying offer. Long term it was a smart move on their end, they weren’t in a position to match, and theoretically Bartelstein owes them a solid down the road.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »
jb passed on his option to stay with tibbs...could a homecoming be in the back of his mind for next year?  he is taking a risk once again.  turning down decent money for...oh no...no, nope, jb ain't got a family to feed yet.  jb also ain't no latrell.  besides, it ain't in him to choke no one either ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
jb passed on his option to stay with tibbs...could a homecoming be in the back of his mind for next year?  he is taking a risk once again.  turning down decent money for...oh no...no, nope, jb ain't got a family to feed yet.  jb also ain't no latrell.  besides, it ain't in him to choke no one either ;D

Irrationally holding out hope he comes home to Chicago to play with Kyrie and a young talented core.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2018, 11:47:30 PM »
The Bulls got a great deal on the Parker contract. Kudos to the Bucks for removing the qualifying offer. Long term it was a smart move on their end, they weren’t in a position to match, and theoretically Bartelstein owes them a solid down the road.

Please elaborate. This and the Levine contract are terrible.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »

I think you could argue the risk was worth it if Jabari can get healthy, but $20MM is pretty insane given his history and performance.

The Bulls are going to give up 110 PPG next year.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2018, 01:11:44 AM »

Who's Levine?

There's absolutely no harm taking a chance on Parker based on the contract.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2018, 06:40:38 AM »

Because it is essentially a one year deal.  If he sucks or gets injured, they can drop him.  If he is good, they have him for a cheap year then have his Bird rights after that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
Who's Levine?

There's absolutely no harm taking a chance on Parker based on the contract.

Bulls new point guard, Adam Levine.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »

I thought he was playing The 5?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »

Jeans and basketball, bold move.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »

As others have said, you get Parker on a one year deal with no risk.

One can argue they messed up utilizing max cap space they had available, and could have taken on bad money with gaining draft picks. I won’t argue that, but there’s no risk spinning the wheel on Parker for a year.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »

Nicely done.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »
I guess the question is did the Bulls really get Jabari for "cheap?"  I get that it's a 1+1 so there's little risk, but who was going to give Jabari either close to $20M even on a shorter term contract or a longer term but still solid (15M+?) money?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »
I guess the question is did the Bulls really get Jabari for "cheap?"  I get that it's a 1+1 so there's little risk, but who was going to give Jabari either close to $20M even on a shorter term contract or a longer term but still solid (15M+?) money?

Jabari's agent told the Bulls there were 10-12 teams interested for twice that amount! How could they not believe him?  ;)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2018, 08:59:17 AM »
Gotta hand it ta Edens abd Lasry, dey reely outsmarted da udder teems, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »

You have to weigh what the offset was here, the second year not being guaranteed. He most likely got more money up front in year one from the Bulls then was being offered elsewhere, but no security after year one.

Hypothetically if the Kings were offering 4 yrs/60 to Parker, all guaranteed, Parker took the Bulls offer of less overall cash to bet on himself.

I don't disagree that if you just had Parker out there, I don't think he's a $20 mil a year player, but a team generally overspends on offer sheets to restricted guys and the Bucks did Parker a solid, so I can see how he got what he got. If he gets hurt again or just can't play any more, it's not money the Bulls were going to spend on a young player anywhere else.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »
Sounds like the Spurs and Raptors are finalizing a deal to send Kahwi Leonard to Toronto for Demar DeRozan. Brad Galli noted it's impressive if the Spurs can get DeRozan when everyone knows the only place he wants to go is LA.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2018, 08:14:06 AM »
Yeah not sure what the Raptors are doing here.  Trading for a guy who will have no interest in being in Toronto and sat out an entire year because he wasn't happy where he was, that has 1 year left on his contract and will be heading out to LA, and giving up a top 25 player with 4 years left on his contract I believe?  Plus a first round pick and a young big that has shown some great potential (but getting a shooter back).

If Kawhi is healthy and buys in the Raptors could push the Celtics in the ECF I guess.  But that's a best case scenario and next year you lose Kawhi.  Not sure I get it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2018, 08:31:34 AM »
I mean, could a team any further from LA make this deal? The Raptors are at the other end of the continent in a different country. I mean, maybe the ability to offer a larger and longer max deal helps, but it's hard to believe one extra year and less than $3M/year salary is going to convince Leonard to stay in a place that seems to be the antithesis of what he's stated he wants.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »
Yeah not sure what the Raptors are doing here.  Trading for a guy who will have no interest in being in Toronto and sat out an entire year because he wasn't happy where he was, that has 1 year left on his contract and will be heading out to LA, and giving up a top 25 player with 4 years left on his contract I believe?  Plus a first round pick and a young big that has shown some great potential (but getting a shooter back).

If Kawhi is healthy and buys in the Raptors could push the Celtics in the ECF I guess.  But that's a best case scenario and next year you lose Kawhi.  Not sure I get it.

Didn't everyone say the same thing about Paul George going to OKC? He was a #donedeal going to the Lakers this offseason!  ;)

The Raptors needed to do something with DeRozan. They weren't going to get equal value from anyone else, since everyone knew that they were looking to move him and his massive contract. Nearly all of their other huge contracts come off the books after 2019-20 so their window is closing. Leonard is worth a shot, IMO. If nothing else, they can try to work out a sign-and-trade with an LA team next offseason to at least get something back.  I can't imagine Leonard is happy with this deal but the grass isn't always greener.

Side note: Poeltl will be a great fit in SA.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
Didn't everyone say the same thing about Paul George going to OKC? He was a #donedeal going to the Lakers this offseason!  ;)

The Raptors needed to do something with DeRozan. They weren't going to get equal value from anyone else, since everyone knew that they were looking to move him and his massive contract. Nearly all of their other huge contracts come off the books after 2019-20 so their window is closing. Leonard is worth a shot, IMO. If nothing else, they can try to work out a sign-and-trade with an LA team next offseason to at least get something back.  I can't imagine Leonard is happy with this deal but the grass isn't always greener.

Side note: Poeltl will be a great fit in SA.

Yeah I certainly thought PG was only in OKC for a year.  But at least he wasn't having his camp tell the media that he had "no interest" in playing in OKC before he was traded there like Kawhi is.

I thought the Raptors had to shake things up, but I would've been trying to move Lowry first.  It's just tough for me to see how trading 4 years (again, too lazy to look up how long DeRozan signed for but I thought it was 5 years going into last season) of DeRozan for a guy who hasn't played in a year and only has 1 year left on his contract.

Agred on Poeltl.  And they get a first round pick.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2018, 09:00:29 AM »
Yeah I certainly thought PG was only in OKC for a year.  But at least he wasn't having his camp tell the media that he had "no interest" in playing in OKC before he was traded there like Kawhi is.

I thought the Raptors had to shake things up, but I would've been trying to move Lowry first.  It's just tough for me to see how trading 4 years (again, too lazy to look up how long DeRozan signed for but I thought it was 5 years going into last season) of DeRozan for a guy who hasn't played in a year and only has 1 year left on his contract.

Agred on Poeltl.  And they get a first round pick.

DeRozan is signed for 2 more seasons plus a $27.7M player option...so 3 more seasons. He's only 28 though. That 1st Rounder is top 20 protected in 2019 and then becomes two 2nd Rounders.

As a Bulls fan, I can respect this move from the Raptors. Not all that long ago, the Bulls were a top team in the East but they weren't THE top team in the East. Despite this, they never wanted to take the risk of making a big move and breaking up their "core" to try to take down LeBron. They just kept going at it with what they had, which simply wasn't enough. If nothing else, Toronto is going for it this season in a wide-open East. They may get to the Finals or they may play 82 games with Leonard pouting at home but at least they're taking a shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2018, 09:39:26 AM »
I agree with MM. This was worth a shot by the Raptors. As soon as they decided they didn't want DeRozan's contract any more, this was their best avenue to get rid of it.

Then there's this ...

Let's say the Lakers are better than many think they'll be next season - entirely possible with the best player on the planet on the team. Maybe they give up some nice chit before the trade deadline to get Kawhi.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
DeRozan is signed for 2 more seasons plus a $27.7M player option...so 3 more seasons. He's only 28 though. That 1st Rounder is top 20 protected in 2019 and then becomes two 2nd Rounders.

As a Bulls fan, I can respect this move from the Raptors. Not all that long ago, the Bulls were a top team in the East but they weren't THE top team in the East. Despite this, they never wanted to take the risk of making a big move and breaking up their "core" to try to take down LeBron. They just kept going at it with what they had, which simply wasn't enough. If nothing else, Toronto is going for it this season in a wide-open East. They may get to the Finals or they may play 82 games with Leonard pouting at home but at least they're taking a shot.

And you never know what Leonard is going to do after a year.  And if he leaves, they've got a bunch of cap space to play with.