[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: World Cup Schedule  (Read 34280 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: World Cup Schedule
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2018, 07:31:14 AM »
Did not know this.  I wonder if they’ve been training at night?  Can imams give dispensations?

Brilliant scheduling by Russia/FIFA

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/4/17426094/2018-world-cup-tunisias-goalie-faking-injury-ramadan-fast

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2018, 08:07:24 AM »
Did not know this.  I wonder if they’ve been training at night?  Can imams give dispensations?

They were given dispensation to eat.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/fast-friends-world-cup-squads-dealt-with-ramadan
https://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/ramadan-2018-saudi-arabia-s-football-players-to-fast-intermittently-during-world-cup-preparation-1.731527

But that can be worse than fasting.
And, during qualifying, despite the dispensation, only 4 players on Saudi team chose to eat. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2018, 08:12:20 AM »

It was done by random draw.  Russia could have faced one of 8 teams from Pot 4.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2018, 08:14:58 AM »

It was done by random draw.  Russia could have faced one of 8 teams from Pot 4.

You view FIFA in a much more favorable light than I do, they're sketchy as crap. Smart, but sketchy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2018, 08:16:13 AM »
You view FIFA in a much more favorable light than I do, they're sketchy as crap. Smart, but sketchy.

They're sketchy.  But I really doubt they drew SA into a match with Russia knowing it was during Ramadan.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2018, 08:31:21 AM »
Nothing important happens in Russia without some input from Putin.  In this case, his input would have been that "we need to win the first match". 

I would imagine nothing was left to chance.  Certainly not the draw, nor the opponent, nor the foreign ruler who would be sitting in the box with him. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2018, 08:48:56 AM »
Holy crap, Uruguay.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51:15 AM »
That's a damn shame. Started parking the bus and Uruguay had chance, after chance, after chance.

After the crap Suarez pulled against Ghana I have never wanted to see Uruguay win anything.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
That's a damn shame. Started parking the bus and Uruguay had chance, after chance, after chance.

After the crap Suarez pulled against Ghana I have never wanted to see Uruguay win anything.

Interesting perspective.  I actually have no problem with what he pulled against Ghana, it was the right play, and it was up to Ghana to convert, either from the penalty or the man advantage, even though it was short lived.  I take much more exception to him biting Chiellini, especially as that was his third biting incident.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:57:33 AM by Its DJOver »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2018, 08:56:43 AM »
God I hate Suarez.

You'll appreciate this one though Sultan. Thought the referee was outstanding in this match.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »
Interesting perspective.  I actually have no problem with what he pulled against Ghana, it was the right play, and it was up to Ghana to convert, either from the penalty or the man advantage, even though it was short lived.  I take much more exception to hit biting Chiellini, especially as that was his third biting incident.

It wasn't so much the handball, as much as I'd like to say I wouldn't do that I have no clue, it's the way he celebrated in the tunnel after as though he scored a game winning goal.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »
It wasn't so much the handball, as much as I'd like to say I wouldn't do that I have no clue, it's the way he celebrated in the tunnel after as though he scored a game winning goal.

That's more understandable, I just know that a lot of people see intentional handball to prevent a goal and assume he's a dirty player.  While he is a dirty player, it's not because of that.  Tactically speaking it was %100 the right play.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »
God I hate Suarez.

You'll appreciate this one though Sultan. Thought the referee was outstanding in this match.

LOL.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the game this morning.  Saturday and Sunday morning though...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2018, 09:13:25 AM »
Anyone got a favorite World Cup Ball.  If you go vintage I much prefer the Tango over the more famous Telstar.  For modern balls, the Fevernova just edges out the Teamgeist as my favorite, while the Jabulani is by far the worst, even though the Brazuca was bad too.  Unsure how I feel about the Telstar 18.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »
I'm in Helsinki right now and I'm seeing obvious soccer fans I assume are enroute to Russia (St. Petersburg, guessing) to watch a match.  There was a whole horde of people with Morocco soccer jerseys and a bus in front of my hotel and they got off wearing soccer jerseys and started doing a loud soccer chant.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »
Mr. Messi, it is now your turn. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2018, 07:20:19 AM »
First ever VAR penalty given in a World Cup and they got it right.  Only quarrel with it is that it should come right away, the ref played on for a full 30-45 seconds before signaling for VAR.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
I am a sucker for a good underdog story.  Go, Iceland.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »
Ice, Ice, baby.   Word to your mother. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:03:27 AM by tower912 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2018, 03:26:57 PM »
OK, I will admit that it doesn't seem like not having announcers actually at the games is much of a problem.  The production value is pretty high, so if I didn't know it ahead of time, it really wouldn't be noticeable.  (I'm looking at you BeIn Sport.)

Their studio show sucks though.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »
I guess we couldn't make it with two positive statements. Heck, it's babysteps.

As I thought not having some of the crews in Russia was not going to be an issue.

Rob Stone has been outstanding, like always. Need more Ian Wright.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:47:16 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2018, 09:59:01 PM »
I guess I just wish that studio shows would stop insulting our intelligence and approach the sport as if people have a brain. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2018, 11:49:26 PM »
I guess I just wish that studio shows would stop insulting our intelligence and approach the sport as if people have a brain.

Yup, that's been my biggest issue. If the US isn't in the World Cup, your audience is most likely going to be people who st least follow the sport.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2018, 10:35:51 AM »
wow - go mexico. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2018, 07:54:07 AM »
Alright, officially opting out of these Fox broadcasts after that one announcer was convinced that Sweden drew a foul in the box. That wasn't even close to being a penalty.