[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: World Cup Schedule  (Read 34363 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: World Cup Schedule
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »
And 10 million Swedish hearts break

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2018, 07:23:13 AM »
Panama seems to running a little bit hot tonight.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2018, 07:27:45 AM »
Panama seems to running a little bit hot tonight.

Not sure why, they've been diving all over the pitch to start this match. England under Southgate have looked like no other England team I have ever seen. There isn't even a ton of talent in this side.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2018, 07:48:31 AM »
My mistake, I thought I turned on an England match, not bloody 1970s Brazil.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »
Probably the least deserving hat trick in WC history. 2 penalties and a massive unintentional deflection.  They all count though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
Panama.   The team that was better than the US. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
Panama.   The team that was better than the US.

Mexico, the team that can beat Germany and dominate South Korea, but can't get a draw at home against Panama. World Cup qualifying and the World Cup are two very different things.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »
That game made me happy. Seeing Falcao score was so heartwarming.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2018, 06:39:35 PM »
Through Day 7 of the World Cup:

57% of US viewers have only watched FOX/FS1

35% have only watched TEL

8% have watched both
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »
GER-SWE posts the best overnight rating for a non-US group stage match in at least 20 years, 4.2 rating and 11 share. 5.64 million viewers on FOX.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
The last five minutes in these two games have gotten nutty.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
Neither Spain nor Portugal looked very good today.  I'd definitely take Uruguay over Portugal at this point and Spain Russia could be a toss up as neither looked very good, I might give the slight edge to Spain because of the Russian suspensions, but that whole section of the bracket could be very weird. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Croatia in the semi's at this point.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »
Anyone else see this?

https://sports.yahoo.com/fifa-knew-russian-soccer-doping-nothing-new-investigation-finds-025558754.html

So, among all the other corruption, FIFA turns a blind eye to russian doping and to murder/slavery in Qatar. Good.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »
Anyone else see this?

https://sports.yahoo.com/fifa-knew-russian-soccer-doping-nothing-new-investigation-finds-025558754.html

So, among all the other corruption, FIFA turns a blind eye to russian doping and to murder/slavery in Qatar. Good.

FIFA is terrible. Like the IOC, just appalling organizations. And yet I love the World Cup and Olympics.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
Neither Spain nor Portugal looked very good today.  I'd definitely take Uruguay over Portugal at this point and Spain Russia could be a toss up as neither looked very good, I might give the slight edge to Spain because of the Russian suspensions, but that whole section of the bracket could be very weird. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Croatia in the semi's at this point.

Not to pat myself on the back too much buuuut...

Just put a couple of bets on today. Put $20 on Belgium, for really good value for them at 15-1.

Took a punt on Croatia with $5 at 30-1. Really like their team, especially that midfield.

Don't think either of them win, but thought they were good value bets. No such thing as sure bets on football, Germany for years ago was about as close as you get.

Still a long way to go but at least they both made the knock out stages.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
And that'll do it for group C. Neither France nor Denmark seemed too interested in going for a winner, and I can't blame them.  With Australia's inability to score from open play, Peru had that one locked up from the 50th minute.  If Argentina can get it together and finish second in their group,  France v Argentina will likely be one of the must see round of 16 matches.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:59:40 AM by Its DJOver »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2018, 11:10:20 AM »
If Argentina can get it together and finish second in their group,  France v Argentina will likely be one of the must see round of 16 matches.

Two teams that have shown basically nothing?  Agree to disagree.  Argentina has been horrible and I think France could run over them if they play with any sort of life.  But France would be on the outside looking in if they weren't in a cakewalk group.  They've played insanely cautious and conservative, which is pathetic given their talent and the style of play they normally represent.  I think they are probably top-4 most talented in the Cup, and have a good manager, but I haven't seen more than a fleeting flash of it, even understanding the strategy of group play.  That certainly hasn't held back Belgium.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
Two teams that have shown basically nothing?  Agree to disagree.  Argentina has been horrible and I think France could run over them if they play with any sort of life.  But France would be on the outside looking in if they weren't in a cakewalk group.  They've played insanely cautious and conservative, which is pathetic given their talent and the style of play they normally represent.  I think they are probably top-4 most talented in the Cup, and have a good manager, but I haven't seen more than a fleeting flash of it, even understanding the strategy of group play.  That certainly hasn't held back Belgium.

All true, but it's because of all that talent that they can turn it on at any point.  They both have world class potential so the match-up has world class potential.  Throw in that other potential round of 16 games are not likely to be all that great.  Mexico v Switzerland, Belgium or England v Japan or Senegal, Denmark v Croatia.  No bad match-ups per say, but none have the potential that France v Argentina has.  The only other potential match-up that could top it is Germany v Brazil.  You can bet that a whole bunch of story lines from 4 years ago will be brought up, but then again, neither of those teams are playing great either so its really a toss up.  People tune in and buy tickets based on star power, and those two match-ups have by far the most of it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:24:43 AM by Its DJOver »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »
All true, but it's because of all that talent that they can turn it on at any point.  They both have world class potential so the match-up has world class potential.  Throw in that other potential round of 16 games are not likely to be all that great.  Mexico v Switzerland, Belgium or England v Japan or Senegal, Denmark v Croatia.  No bad match-ups per say, but none have the potential that France v Argentina has.  The only other potential match-up that could top it is Germany v Brazil.  You can bet that a whole bunch of story lines from 4 years ago will be brought up, but then again, neither of those teams are playing great either so its really a toss up.  People tune in and buy tickets based on star power, and those two match-ups have by far the most of it.

You really think Senegal is going to beat Colombia? Wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-1 result for Colombia since they have their lineup straightened out. Colombia vs. England/Belgium will be fun.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »
You really think Senegal is going to beat Colombia? Wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-1 result for Colombia since they have their lineup straightened out. Colombia vs. England/Belgium will be fun.

Senegal knows that a draw will be enough to see them through.  That's a big boost both in game plan and mentality.  I think the Columbia Poland result was more because Poland were shockingly bad rather than Columbia being that good.  Columbia could win yes, but right now Senegal is playing very organized attacking soccer right now, if they can score 2 for the third straight game, they should be able to get the job done.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2018, 12:34:17 PM »
Senegal knows that a draw will be enough to see them through.  That's a big boost both in game plan and mentality.  I think the Columbia Poland result was more because Poland were shockingly bad rather than Columbia being that good.  Columbia could win yes, but right now Senegal is playing very organized attacking soccer right now, if they can score 2 for the third straight game, they should be able to get the job done.

I dunno, Colombia far and away have the best back four of anyone in the group. There's a reason Arias, Sanchez, and Mina are on some of the best teams in Europe, plus Ospina is a nice piece as well.

Really think that Japan game was a wakeup call and as you said, Senegal already played their two easier opponents. Nobody in group H has the talent to match Colombia and it's really, really difficult to park the bus for 90 minutes.

I will say where Colombia can run into problems in on set pieces. The thought of Quintero having to defend a corner against Senegal is terrifying.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:36:30 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »
I dunno, Colombia far and away have the best back four of anyone in the group. There's a reason Arias, Sanchez, and Mina are on some of the best teams in Europe, plus Ospina is a nice piece as well.

Really think that Japan game was a wakeup call and as you said, Senegal already played their two easier opponents. Nobody in group H has the talent to match Colombia and it's really, really difficult to park the bus for 90 minutes.

I will say where Colombia can run into problems in on set pieces. The thought of Quintero having to defend a corner against Senegal is terrifying.

Agree that on paper Columbia has more talent, I guess Senegal has just impressed me (by far the best team in CAF).  I also don't think Senegal will try to park the bus.  They'll have less possession no doubt, but playing long balls can work when you have someone as fast and as skilled as Sadio Mane.

Also Sanchez is very skilled, but Mina has only made 6 appearances for Barca, and while PSV are a good club for developing talent they are not one of the best in Europe.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:43:58 PM by Its DJOver »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
Maradona looks drugged up as per usual.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »

Senegal's weakness is their midfield, which is where Colombia could really take advantage and boss them around.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Senegal's weakness is their midfield, which is where Colombia could really take advantage and boss them around.

The funny thing is coming into the World Cup I thought Colombia's midfield may have ended up being a weakness.

Cuadrado is getting up there in years and you never know which Quintero you're going to get. But Quintero has been tremendous thus far and apparently James plays defense now. Don't know where that came from.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:25:08 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »