[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU @ IU - Gavitt Games  (Read 22632 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: MU @ IU - Gavitt Games
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2018, 10:32:36 PM »
Have you been?  What is it like?  On my bucket list to see it and Cameron. Heard both are amazing. I've been to UCLA's Pauly Pavillion, nothing special but that could be because the crowd was not in it.  If you get a chance, Hinkle is great and the Palestra in Philadelphia also wonderful.  Also underrated is the Pit in Albuquerque.

I went to Cameron two years ago, and Phog Allen this past season. I really enjoyed Phog Allen, but Cameron Indoor was like seeing the Sistine Chapel. That was the best basketball experience I’ve ever had, can’t recommend it enough.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2018, 11:00:26 PM »
They were bad last year & lost a bunch, imo. Lotsa OK teams on deck.

Lose a lot at the top. Gain a lot at the bottom. Likes like a good old fashioned cluster
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »
I went to Cameron two years ago, and Phog Allen this past season. I really enjoyed Phog Allen, but Cameron Indoor was like seeing the Sistine Chapel. That was the best basketball experience I’ve ever had, can’t recommend it enough.
I've been to Phog a number of times and it's cool but not worth heading out to Lawrence just for that.  I may be turned off by the "isn't this just the greatest environment?  It's really special!  Unlike anything else" multiple times a visit if a) you don't openly fawn about it or b) you tell someone you didn't go to KU. 

Your connection to the program probably afforded you a different experience than mine.  I'm dropping my kid off there for hoops camp in a couple of weeks, maybe his experience will endear me more to the facility/program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
I was at Phog for a December (during break) game against Binghamton. It was packed and loud. I was very impressed.

At many schools (not just Marquette), a winter-break game against a crap opponent leads to half-full (at best) buildings and middling excitement.

I know they have nothing else there in Lawrence, but it still was impressive to me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »
I've been to Phog a number of times and it's cool but not worth heading out to Lawrence just for that.  I may be turned off by the "isn't this just the greatest environment?  It's really special!  Unlike anything else" multiple times a visit if a) you don't openly fawn about it or b) you tell someone you didn't go to KU. 

Your connection to the program probably afforded you a different experience than mine.  I'm dropping my kid off there for hoops camp in a couple of weeks, maybe his experience will endear me more to the facility/program.

Agreed, I/we love college hoops, so Phog is a cool experience, but I don't feel the need to go back. Getting to Lawrence is a pain, I liked the campus and the town, but it's not a "gotta get back there" again place for me.

I'd encourage people if they have the means to go to a Duke game, even if you hate Duke as a program, it's campus is unreal, the building is unassuming when you get to it on campus, and the walk from the "concourse" to getting into the seating area and seeing the court/hearing the sounds still gives me goosebumps. Probably like baseball fans that walk up the concourse steps at Wrigley for the first time and then see the field.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »
Agreed, I/we love college hoops, so Phog is a cool experience, but I don't feel the need to go back. Getting to Lawrence is a pain, I liked the campus and the town, but it's not a "gotta get back there" again place for me.

I'd encourage people if they have the means to go to a Duke game, even if you hate Duke as a program, it's campus is unreal, the building is unassuming when you get to it on campus, and the walk from the "concourse" to getting into the seating area and seeing the court/hearing the sounds still gives me goosebumps. Probably like baseball fans that walk up the concourse steps at Wrigley for the first time and then see the field.

Although IMHO nothing beats the horn at the Phog.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »

I'd encourage people if they have the means to go to a Duke game, even if you hate Duke as a program, it's campus is unreal, the building is unassuming when you get to it on campus, and the walk from the "concourse" to getting into the seating area and seeing the court/hearing the sounds still gives me goosebumps. Probably like baseball fans that walk up the concourse steps at Wrigley Yankee Stadium for the first time and then see the field.

FIFY

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
Bucket list of college hoops arenas I'd like to see a game in someday:

The Silk Exotic Chaluparena  ;)
Cameron Indoor
Hinkle Fieldhouse
Allen Fieldhouse
The Palestra
Pauley Pavilion

I know Pauley isn't in the same ballpark as the others in terms of age/atmosphere - even a friend who went to UCLA admits it's nothing special - but I grew up watching MU in the Arena and remember hearing about those UCLA teams playing at Pauley all those years. Seems like it'd be fun to check it out...hopefully as an MU road trip.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2018, 06:44:02 PM »
That sounds great and all, but have you ever seen Marquette beat South Florida on a Tuesday in early February? The BC was magic.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
The BC is horrible.  So excited for the move and having a homecourt advantage more than just a few times a year again
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »
The BC is horrible.  So excited for the move and having a homecourt advantage more than just a few times a year again
Nah, that’s BS. Too many good memories there.  But, we move on to the WESC.   

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2018, 07:29:25 AM »
That sounds great and all, but have you ever seen Marquette beat South Florida on a Tuesday in early February? The BC was magic.
I could make that argument about pretty much any stadium under those circumstances.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »

Unless the BC was filled to the corners with 19,000+ it was difficult to make so much noise that it intimidated the opponents.  Now, the MECCA - that place rocked and vibrated and shook with 12,O00.  Ah rah?  Hope the new place rocks

MU82

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »
I could make that argument about pretty much any stadium under those circumstances.

I generally agree with you except that it doesn't apply to many college basketball venues.

I was at the Phog for a Xmas break game against Binghamton. It was sold out and rocking.

Assembly Hall and Cameron are always sold out and rocking, regardless of when the game is played and who the opponent is.

But yes, these and a select few other places are exceptions and not the rule.

Now, the MECCA - that place rocked and vibrated and shook with 12,O00.  Ah rah?  Hope the new place rocks

It was always sold out and rocking when I was there - and that was the start of the Hank Era.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson