collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Can a woman be a head coach for mens sports?  (Read 10755 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Can a woman be a head coach for mens sports?
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 08:36:49 AM »

the other thing going on here is IF the bucks do not hire her, watch the main stream castigate the bucks AND milwaukee for being behind the times, misogynist, intolerant, old school, living out of the 60's etc etc

Well ... looky who's getting political here!

Given that other teams have interviewed and not hired her, I'm not sure why the Bucks would be singled out. A lot would have to do with the messaging - why she wasn't hired.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2018, 08:41:36 AM »
Explain it then.

Everything biologically necessary for a person to be a successful NBA coach is housed in the prostate gland.

Have some patience, FFS.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »
My take: It doesn't matter who the Bucks hire.  The roster is already screwed up with bad contracts.  I don't see anyway they can get a difference maker in free agency and any worthwhile trade would send out one of the few quality players they have.

With the new stadium opening, you can't even trade Giannis and burn it all down.  Otherwise, this would be the time to do it.  A good draft and some interesting young players already in the league; you might be able to get a good package since Giannis has three years of control.

Instead, the Bucks will stand pat and remain mediocre for the next two years. Maybe win a playoff series.  Then Giannis will be traded with one year left on his deal and the Bucks rebuild again.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2018, 09:06:22 AM »
Big picture, I don't care who the Bucks hire.   I am a Pistons fan.   We are in the same boat with similar crap contracts and not many draft picks.   The Pistons need a GM and a coach, since Gores was foolish enough to think SVG could do both.   The names being bandied about are Chauncey Billups for GM and Jerry Stackhouse for coach.     Billups, because he is seen as similar to Dumars.    Stackhouse, because he was a decent coach in the G-league (an aside here.   I saw him coach.   He actually had his players playing defense within a system.   Ironic because he never played defense as a player.   Impressive because it is exceedingly difficult to put in a defensive 'system' in the G-league due to roster turnover and players trying to make the league) and is not far removed from being a player.     

It pisses me off to no end to have ANYONE discounted due to gender, melatonin, or sexual preference.     I don't know if she can be a head coach in the NBA.   A male with her resume' would certainly be getting lots of interviews and not be getting nearly as much blowback. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:33:38 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2018, 09:17:34 AM »
This is excellent, and it's so true.

The NBA was the first league to take the "exposed willy" out of the equation in dealing with female sportswriters, too. NBA players have not been getting naked in the "outer locker room" for many, many, many years now, and that's the only place reporters of both genders are allowed entry.

Even before that, most NBA players would use an NBA-issued bathrobe, complete with logos in team colors. They would pull on their underwear without exposing themselves.

Very progressive league. First to use women game officials. First to have women in management positions. First to have women as full-time assistant. I would not be the least bit surprised to see a female head coach, and I have every reason to believe she would be accepted by most players.

Not to mention, the argument just doesn't make sense.  No one sees problems with male coaches, coaching females, and the whole possible nudity/locker room problem.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »
as warrior and goose stated this well in the "nm" thread-this ain't the time for a social experiment or to make a decision on a head coach based on what the "big chatter" is about.  if the bucks don't take becky, it should be for reasons other than her coaching abilities as most here seem to believe she can and i'm not going to deny that. 

the other thing going on here is IF the bucks do not hire her, watch the main stream castigate the bucks AND milwaukee for being behind the times, misogynist, intolerant, old school, living out of the 60's etc etc

the bucks cannot afford to get this wrong.  the owners cannot use the bucks as their little "play thing"  hobby to have something to do on weekends.  for milwaukee and the nba, and as uncle joe couldn't have put it any better-"this is a big F 'ing deal ya know"

This is too important of a decision to exclude candidates just for the sake of continuing the bizarre social experiment of completely ignoring one half of the world's population when interviewing coaches.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2018, 10:39:17 AM »
Explain it then.

Its a business decision. Ya select the best candidate whether they are blue, green, pink, black, male, female, trans, pan, heterosexual, homosexual or an elephant. Business men and women make business decisions regardless of a warm and fuzzy, feel good story. I can accept the result. Doubt that pertains to many of y'all, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »
Hammon's forgotten more basketball than you'll ever know.

Jay Bee less credible than the "Crystal Bowel".

What an awful personal attack. We’re discussing a broad in the public domain... yet you attack me?? This is far worse than the airport picture

Anyway, should people born as males be allowed to play in the WNBA?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »

Doubtful.  The Bucks will be praised for giving her a chance.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2018, 10:58:56 AM »
Not to mention, the argument just doesn't make sense.  No one sees problems with male coaches, coaching females, and the whole possible nudity/locker room problem.

Unless the coach is Tyler Summitt.  :-X
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2018, 11:14:22 AM »

I doubt it. She already wasn't hired for the Colorado state job and I don't remember any castigation.

Its a business decision. Ya select the best candidate whether they are blue, green, pink, black, male, female, trans, pan, heterosexual, homosexual or an elephant. Business men and women make business decisions regardless of a warm and fuzzy, feel good story. I can accept the result. Doubt that pertains to many of y'all, hey?

Who has said that she should be hired if she's not the best candidate?

I only want them to hire the best candidate for the job. I have no idea who that is. If it's Hammon, great. If it's someone else great.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »

Candidates that are not the best are selected for jobs all the time, not just in sports but in business and government, too. All the time.

Quite often, it's because those doing the selecting go for the familiar - a person they know or have some kind of history and/or comfort with. Jordan, for example, has favored guys with UNC background - often to very poor results.

When I got some decision-making power years ago, all of a sudden "friends" were coming out of the woodwork looking for jobs/promotions/etc.

Other reasons the better candidate might not get a job even if racism, sexism or some other kind of ism is a non-factor: money (he/she wants too much); perceived "fit" in the organization; too similar to employee being replaced ("we lost with a defense-minded coach, so now we're going for an offensive-minded coach" or vice versa - happens quite often in the NFL); went for the "big name" coach or CEO assuming he/she "had to be better" than the relative no-name; etc.

Let's not pretend that sports teams ... or corporation board of directors ... or voters always (or even usually) select the "better" candidates.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
What an awful personal attack. We’re discussing a broad in the public domain... yet you attack me?? This is far worse than the airport picture

Anyway, should people born as males be allowed to play in the WNBA?

Thoughts and prayers.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2018, 12:26:39 PM »
Candidates that are not the best are selected for jobs all the time, not just in sports but in business and government, too. All the time.

Quite often, it's because those doing the selecting go for the familiar - a person they know or have some kind of history and/or comfort with. Jordan, for example, has favored guys with UNC background - often to very poor results.

When I got some decision-making power years ago, all of a sudden "friends" were coming out of the woodwork looking for jobs/promotions/etc.

Other reasons the better candidate might not get a job even if racism, sexism or some other kind of ism is a non-factor: money (he/she wants too much); perceived "fit" in the organization; too similar to employee being replaced ("we lost with a defense-minded coach, so now we're going for an offensive-minded coach" or vice versa - happens quite often in the NFL); went for the "big name" coach or CEO assuming he/she "had to be better" than the relative no-name; etc.

Let's not pretend that sports teams ... or corporation board of directors ... or voters always (or even usually) select the "better" candidates.

Well den dayer fookin' idiots, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »

Well den dayer fookin' idiots, aina?

Know arguemento hear.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
Man do I hope they hire her!
We can't do much worse than Kidd. And great PR, a whole new fan base of women. And better tan anything else, she can coach and coach really well.

Sign me up.

I have a friend who is a NBA assistant and just lost out on a HC job for the third time when he was a “finalist.” He’s been hyped as one of those “nines to watch “ for a few years. Over brews once he said he has no issues with losing out to a qualified candidate who’s paid their dues, but what frustrates him and other assistants are the Jason Kidd types: no coaching experience but getting their jobs because of their playing experience alone. Kenny Smith getting called for the Knicks job pissed him off. He climbed from D2 assistant to D League assistant to NBA assistant over the last 14 years. Meanwhile, Kidd walked off the court to the first chair. As for Hammon, she’s paid her dues, climbed through the ranks, she coaches with Pop and has learned from the best, he’s all good if she get a HC job.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »

We agree.    The Bucks should hire whomever they think is best for the job.   If they decide she is it, OK.    If they decide they like someone better, OK.     I don't exclude her because of her gender.  I don't give her bonus points for her gender.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:31:20 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »

See Kidd, Jason F.

As for the original question... of course yes. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »
I have a friend who is a NBA assistant and just lost out on a HC job for the third time when he was a “finalist.” He’s been hyped as one of those “nines to watch “ for a few years. Over brews once he said he has no issues with losing out to a qualified candidate who’s paid their dues, but what frustrates him and other assistants are the Jason Kidd types: no coaching experience but getting their jobs because of their playing experience alone. Kenny Smith getting called for the Knicks job pissed him off. He climbed from D2 assistant to D League assistant to NBA assistant over the last 14 years. Meanwhile, Kidd walked off the court to the first chair. As for Hammon, she’s paid her dues, climbed through the ranks, she coaches with Pop and has learned from the best, he’s all good if she get a HC job.

Really?!  4 years as an assistant is paying your dues?  How has she "climbed through the ranks"?  She's held 1 job in the NBA! 

Of course that summer league title three years ago... ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »
The fact is you don't need to "pay your dues."  Smart, capable people can succeed without a lot of experience, and experienced people can fail miserably.  Pat Riley was an assistant for two seasons.  Doc Rivers was coaching a couple years after his playing days ended and never served as an assistant. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2018, 06:10:23 PM »
The fact is you don't need to "pay your dues."  Smart, capable people can succeed without a lot of experience, and experienced people can fail miserably.  Pat Riley was an assistant for two seasons.  Doc Rivers was coaching a couple years after his playing days ended and never served as an assistant.

Steve Kerr was hired from TV.  You just never know.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2018, 06:17:52 PM »
Steve Kerr was hired from TV.  You just never know.

But he had served for a number of years as GM of the Suns.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2018, 07:28:40 PM »

You know, I had completely forgotten about that.  Maybe that is an indicator of Kerr's GM ability.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2018, 07:40:23 PM »
Deadspin picked up D'Amato's pretty dumb column about this.

https://deadspin.com/crap-for-brains-columnist-says-existence-of-misogyny-sh-1825984902

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »

I don't have his history right in front of me, but IIRC, Kerr was a pretty crappy GM.

feedback