collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Can a woman be a head coach for mens sports?  (Read 10756 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
Re: Can a woman be a head coach for mens sports?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:38:42 AM »
yes

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »
Yes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »
Written by Pau Gasol:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon

"I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period."

"Because let’s be real: There are pushes now for increased gender diversity in the workplace of pretty much every industry in the world. It’s what’s expected. More importantly — it’s what’s right. And yet the NBA should get a pass because some fans are willing to take it easy on us … because we’re “sports”?

I really hope not.

I hope the NBA will never feel satisfied with being forward-thinking “for a sports league.” Let’s strive to be forward-thinking for an industry of any kind."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
Yes

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:53:25 AM »
The right woman, sure.   And she will have a higher mountain to climb than any who come after her.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 11:03:29 AM »
Well, at least OP's perspective on this topic matches his in the "privilege" thread.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 11:05:11 AM »
I can see it in basketball, but what about baseball, hockey or football? In those sports women have a hard enough time breaking the gender barrier just being an ump, ref or official. They are just starting to make headway in the broadcast arena; the Yankees have pretty good color commentator on the radio side.

How many women coach mens sports at the college or high school level?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:11:11 AM by muwarrior69 »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
if men can coach women they (and they are the majority in Women's College Basketball) then why can't a woman coach men's sports.

That said, I would be surprised if Hammon took the Bucks job, much speculation is that she's waiting for Pop to retire.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »
If a man can be a head coach for women's sports, than a woman can be a head coach for men's sports.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 11:11:58 AM »
if men can coach women they (and they are the majority in Women's College Basketball) then why can't a woman coach men's sports.

That said, I would be surprised if Hammon took the Bucks job, much speculation is that she's waiting for Pop to retire.

beat me by 20 sec!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »

...and why is that?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »
Yeah butt, how ya gonna deel wit da lockeroom walkin' 'round free willy and such, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
No.

Can a man play in the WNBA?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
No.

The question is not about whether a woman can play in the NBA, it is whether she can coach an NBA or men's team, and the answer to that question is yes.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »
Of Course!  Why not?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 11:22:26 AM »
Yeah butt, how ya gonna deel wit da lockeroom walkin' 'round free willy and such, hey?

From Gasol's article:

"O.K. — and then one more thing. It’s almost too stupid to include here … but at the same time, in another way, I also think it’s pretty important. And it gets at something about this league, in the bigger picture, that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.

It’s this idea that, if there were a female head coach in the NBA, there would be some sort of … “awkwardness in the locker room.”

Maybe you’re laughing to yourself as you read that. And I get it. It’s ridiculous. But I think it’s worth taking seriously, too, for a moment — just in terms of how embarrassing it is for us as a league that this is something people are actually talking about.

First, as for the idea itself: I mean, of course it’s a myth. Give me a break. There’s really nothing to say about it even. The players dress in a certain area, and the coaches dress in a certain area. O.K.? And yes, I’m sure, within that coaches area, Becky has a private space. But the point is — it’s not like you’re seeing male head coaches sharing a space with players while they’re changing. It doesn’t happen. So all I can tell you is that from a decade and a half of personal experience … this line of thinking — like I said, it’s all just very ridiculous. In terms of the locker room, and in terms of behind the scenes, there really is no practical difference in this league between having a male or a female head coach."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »
...and why is that?

much of it is male privilege because it's men making the decisions. We've had women's college basketball at the NCAA level for over 30 years and women's professional basketball for over 20 years and you're telling me there aren't enough qualified women to be head coaches?  There is one other factor too - sexuality.  Whether it is legit or now, on the recruiting trail many male coaches use it (whether legit or not) against female coaches.

MU has been fortunate to have two very qualified women running their program in Teri Mitchell and now Carolyn Krieger.  There are certainly more like Carolyn out there who deserve a chance to be a head coach.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 11:36:55 AM »
I can see it in basketball, but what about baseball, hockey or football? In those sports women have a hard enough time breaking the gender barrier just being an ump, ref or official. They are just starting to make headway in the broadcast arena; the Yankees have pretty good color commentator on the radio side.

How many women coach mens sports at the college or high school level?

Wait, so the justification for suppressing a particular women is because the system suppresses women generally?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »
much of it is male privilege because it's men making the decisions. We've had women's college basketball at the NCAA level for over 30 years and women's professional basketball for over 20 years and you're telling me there aren't enough qualified women to be head coaches?  There is one other factor too - sexuality.  Whether it is legit or now, on the recruiting trail many male coaches use it (whether legit or not) against female coaches.

MU has been fortunate to have two very qualified women running their program in Teri Mitchell and now Carolyn Krieger.  There are certainly more like Carolyn out there who deserve a chance to be a head coach.

How so? I am just trying to understand how a male coach could persuade a female recruit to come play for him because of "sexuality"( not sure what you mean by sexuality). It seems counter intuitive to me that a female recruit would choose to play for a male coach if he is denigrating a rival female coach based on her sex.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
How so? I am just trying to understand how a male coach could persuade a female recruit to come play for him because of "sexuality"( not sure what you mean by sexuality). It seems counter intuitive to me that a female recruit would choose to play for a male coach if he is denigrating a rival female coach based on her sex.

I could be mistaken here, but I believe he's suggesting that male coaches intimate that certain female coaches are gay in the hopes that this will dissuade the athlete from going to that program.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
Wait, so the justification for suppressing a particular women is because the system suppresses women generally?

I am not justifying anything. There are just more opportunities for women in basketball than the other sports and just asked the question? Who hires coaches at the high school level for all sports and how many women actually apply for those positions? If we want to see more women coaches I think that is where it should begin so they can go on to coach in college and even the pros. Are those not legitimate question?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
I could be mistaken here, but I believe he's suggesting that male coaches intimate that certain female coaches are gay in the hopes that this will dissuade the athlete from going to that program.

I don't think that strategy will work very well with today's open minded young women.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
I don't think that strategy will work very well with today's open minded young women.

I think you might be surprised.  I agree totally that it probably doesn't work nearly as well as it used to, but I think that there is still a fair amount of bias out there even if it's not discussed openly.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
No.

Ridiculous. 

feedback