'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Something major going on at UWM? A lot of departures announced  (Read 15828 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Something major going on at UWM? A lot of departures announced
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 05:26:07 PM »
sure, after a year. You make a commitment to an institution, who thus makes a commitment to you, you should play your whole career there, and unless you are run off or the coach with whom you signed leaves, you sit.  The power conference schools want the changes so they can poach even more than they are doing now.

I bet you don’t want college athletes to be paid, so why should these particular students who receive a scholarship be bound to a university no matter what, while another non athlete who’s given a scholarship at the same institution is free to transfer whenever they like?

Also to your other point ---- Te'jon Lucas just announced he's transferring from Illinois to UWM. Those dang power schools just poaching all of the talent !!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:00:33 PM by panda »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »
sure, after a year. You make a commitment to an institution, who thus makes a commitment to you, you should play your whole career there, and unless you are run off or the coach with whom you signed leaves, you sit.  The power conference schools want the changes so they can poach even more than they are doing now.

I don't have a problem with poaching.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »
Wait ... UWM still has a basketball team?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
Wait ... UWM still has a basketball team?
Beat Iowa State and Loyola last year. 
That was about it for a highlight moment.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 10:04:22 PM »
Jordan and Baldwin both walked into a total mess thanks to the AD who was going to fire Jeter no matter how many players, and major boosters of the program she alienated in the process.    That's at least a 5 year rebuild. 

Baldwin did pretty well all in all his first year, a game below .500 overall, middle of the pack in conference, wins at IA St and over Loyola as mentioned, and a conference tournament win.  All of these guys transferring out weren't his guys.  There's a stigma over that program thanks to A. Braun that's going to take a couple years to blow over, which I think explains this massive roster turnover.

I'm not sure I get why not hiring TJO is considered a mistake already?!  They needed an unexpected run just to get in the 2017 tournament, and were a 16 seed.   Night and day difference between program he inherited and what Baldwin took over.   Maybe TJO will be great and Baldwin not so much, but verdict is out on both still running their own show.   But encouraging signs out of UWM last year for a guy hired in June and inheriting an 11 win team (and a tournament run to get to 11!)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 10:20:37 PM »

The current players' comments sure do make it sound like it's probably an issue with Baldwin.  Wonder if Todd Townsend will be their HC by this time next year?

What I read about these last three said nothing of the sort.  They cited wanting to move up and play at high D-1 level, and overall instability of program as the major factors, but they all said they were leaving on good terms with Baldwin.  Nze mentioned about just getting out of WI period.  Maybe I missed something with the first two. 

But again, really believe that program just has a stigma over it now.  The whole Jeter situation was a total debacle created by an idiot AD and it's really hard getting it on track again after that and then Jordan leaving for Butler last summer after only one year (who can blame him?)

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »
didn't the AD offer the job to TJ?   He went back to Iowa to bring his family to the Thursday press conference to announce him as head coach.

Then the Chancellor holds a press conference on Wednesday and announces Jordan as the next coach.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 10:31:33 PM »
didn't the AD offer the job to TJ?   He went back to Iowa to bring his family to the Thursday press conference to announce him as head coach.

Then the Chancellor holds a press conference on Wednesday and announces Jordan as the next coach.

Think that is correct as I recall it, rug was pulled out from under him very late. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 10:32:55 PM »
I bet you don’t want college athletes to be paid, so why should these particular students who receive a scholarship be bound to a university no matter what, while another non athlete who’s given a scholarship at the same institution is free to transfer whenever they like?

What? They shouldn't be bound no matter what. They simply should need to sit out a year in residence. They still can and generally do receive scholarships. Stop making up lies!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

panda

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 07:10:23 AM »
What? They shouldn't be bound no matter what. They simply should need to sit out a year in residence. They still can and generally do receive scholarships. Stop making up lies!

Let me rephrase - What other student is withheld from extracurricular activities for one year if they transfer from one university to another?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 07:20:27 AM »
Let me rephrase - What other student is withheld from extracurricular activities for one year if they transfer from one university to another?

Are they withheld from extracurricular activities? I mean yeah basketball but could they join clubs or organizations during that year if they wanted?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 08:30:40 AM »
Think that is correct as I recall it, rug was pulled out from under him very late. 

Then why is Braun the problem and not Mone?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
Well chicos you surely know the coach, AD, president or quite possibly all three.  Please expound on what the article doesnt already tell us.

Well chicos, I surely don't know the coach, AD, president or any of the three.  I do, however, follow Todd Rosiak and have for a long time since he was the beat writer for Marquette.  Rosiak had the story and I relayed it here.

It should have been in the Superbar.  Is it possible for a user to move it or does the moderator need to perform that action?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
Wait ... UWM still has a university?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 12:38:57 PM »

What? These kids are being given a full ride+. smh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »
Are they withheld from extracurricular activities? I mean yeah basketball but could they join clubs or organizations during that year if they wanted?
What other students have hundred of thousands of dollars poured into their extracurricular development while receiving a totally free ride?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
What other students have hundred of thousands of dollars poured into their extracurricular development while receiving a totally free ride?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »

panda

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »
What? These kids are being given a full ride+. smh

So the value of the scholarship means they should be stripped of rights every other one of their student peers have? Makes a ton of sense….

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »
Well done, GB.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »

So the value of the scholarship means they should be stripped of rights every other one of their student peers have? Makes a ton of sense….

No, the privileges and perks of their scholarship come with some trade offs.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »

Yes, if they choose to take the scholarship and all that comes with it... no one is forcing them to play college basketball at the D1 level.  But, doing so means that schools make a major financial commitment to the student-athlete, unlike any other student on scholarship. 

What is the cost that a school like MU spends per basketball player per year on room, board, tuition, and coaching/training, etc?  Let me make a wild guess and say 400K+.  That kind of commitment comes with trade offs.  If the student transfers, they still can get a scholarship at the new school immediately, but they can't play their sport for a year.  Really not that big of a "stripping of rights" based upon the financial commitment by the school, in my opinion.  But, obviously others differ with me.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
Add to that $400,000 number the fact that is after tax. You and I would have to earn a lot of money--more than $500,000 to be on level footing if that number is correct. Add to that many leave college with accumulated debt so interest over several years has to be added to be equal and paid with after tax money--though there can be a deduction for interest. I have a nephew who left a private college with about $90,000 in debt. He "worked it off" under the reverse GI Bill--put it on the line with the US Army in Afghanistan. We as sports fans have to recognize the significant value that high D1 athletes gain with a 4 or 5 year scholarship with room, board, books, laundry money, shoes, gear etc. It is a really good deal.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 07:31:49 PM »
Add to that $400,000 number the fact that is after tax. You and I would have to earn a lot of money--more than $500,000 to be on level footing if that number is correct. Add to that many leave college with accumulated debt so interest over several years has to be added to be equal and paid with after tax money--though there can be a deduction for interest. I have a nephew who left a private college with about $90,000 in debt. He "worked it off" under the reverse GI Bill--put it on the line with the US Army in Afghanistan. We as sports fans have to recognize the significant value that high D1 athletes gain with a 4 or 5 year scholarship with room, board, books, laundry money, shoes, gear etc. It is a really good deal.

Yet the marketplace determines that it still isn't sufficient.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2018, 10:01:31 PM »

Yet the marketplace determines that it still isn't sufficient.

Is it the marketplace or the secondary gray market?  I think the problem is the latter.

It seems that agents, shoe companies, parents, financial managers, handlers, coaches, hangers on, strippers, etc. are also cashing in.  See FBI.

feedback