[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What can still go wrong  (Read 17716 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: What can still go wrong
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2018, 10:08:21 PM »
What conference was Dean coaching in again?
Irrelevant, but if you want to limit it only to Big East seasons Wojo is 73-58 59.54%, Buzz 137-69 66.5% and Tom Crean 69-31 69%.Wojo would have to win 43 straight games to exceed Buzz's winning percentage.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2018, 10:13:17 PM »
Irrelevant, but if you want to limit it only to Big East seasons Wojo is 73-58 59.54%, Buzz 137-69 66.5% and Tom Crean 69-31 69%.Wojo would have to win 43 straight games to exceed Buzz's winning percentage.

Irrelevant?

I guess I missed all the low majors who win 25-30 games in a season who got NCAA at large bids.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

source?

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2018, 10:15:53 PM »
Mike Dean got fired with a 100-55 record after 5 seasons. Wojo is 73-58 after four seasons and will not come close to the five year record Mike Dean had. Marquette's all-time winning percentage is higher than Wojo's so he is under performing all the other coaches combined. I am not in the fire Wojo camp, but he needs to step up his results.

Mike Deane was trending down his last two years and was not showing signs of correcting that trend. Wojo is trending up and the recruiting outlook is solid. The results do need to improve starting this year, but I like our direction.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »

I'm not really concerned with Wojo exceeding Buzz's BE winning percentage.  Buzz was left with Lazar Hayward, Dominic James, Wesley Matthews, and Jerel McNeal when he took over the program.  Wojo was left with Duane Wilson, Luke Fischer, Deonte Burton, Derrick Wilson, and Juan Anderson.  The situations aren't even remotely comparable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2018, 11:56:07 PM »
Mike Dean got fired with a 100-55 record after 5 seasons. Wojo is 73-58 after four seasons and will not come close to the five year record Mike Dean had. Marquette's all-time winning percentage is higher than Wojo's so he is under performing all the other coaches combined. I am not in the fire Wojo camp, but he needs to step up his results.

Were you even following the program during the Deane era? Anybody who was knows what got Deane fired was simple, he won until O’Neill’s recruiting dried up.  The talent level difference between Wojo’s and Deane’s recruiting is undeniable.  Deane inherited a very solid group.  By Big East standards, Wojo had little to work with taking over from Buzz, and a recruiting class that fell apart.

Does Wojo need to start producing more and is what he’s done thus far underwhelming? Absolutely.  A pure wins/losses comparison with Deane is way over simplistic however.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:59:46 PM by HutchwasClutch »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 04:44:42 AM »
1.  Injuries
2.  Recovery from existing injuries is slower than anticipated.  Rust.  Skill and strength
3.  JC is not a Savior.
4.  Chemistry.  What happens when some guys don't get the minutes they think they deserve?
5.  Wojo really can't coach.
6.  Joey averages 20/10 in November & December, gets strong NBA interest, has his "year" complete and becomes the first ever 1/2 and done, going to the NBA as a free agent in January.  Wojo says something about what's in his refrigerator.  Scoop erupts about defections / transfers and how it's just not right. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2018, 06:28:37 AM »
7. Steve Kerr's back problems persist. Golden St. (calling him an "offensive genius") gives Wojo a 10 year, $250 million contract.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2018, 06:48:53 AM »
11. Theo's going to steal Heldt's girlfriend

is she hot?  pics

so glad that i'm not a famous b-ball playa
don't...don't don't don't don't

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »
Dean winning with O'Neil recruits = Gard winning with Bo's recruits
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »
Brother TAMU, I get that.

But doing it with a switchblade is the Warrior way!

Brother Sultan, The NCAA better find a switchblade sponsor by next April!!!!!

Then it's just expected...no longer the Warrior way.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2018, 11:25:46 AM »

Crean was already at the helm of MU for 5 or 6 years before his teams played in the Big East.  Coach Williams had an amazing team his first year because of Crean's departure.  Both started from a position of strength while Coach Wojo did not.

I'd prefer looking at ratings rather than records because who you play matters.  Unfortunately it is difficult to find any ratings going back to the Deane days.  Sagarin Ratings start in '99, the year after Deane.

On the NCAA site they do have the RPI ratings from way back then, literally on scanned paper.  https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/1995%20Final%20RPI.pdf

Deane's RPIs were 57, 22, 56, 71, 131   Deane is a classic example of waiting a few years to find out what you really have.  His recruiting was not where it needed to be, especially at the end. Trajectory was not going the right way.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
OK Willie put your Big Boy pants on. You've seen Wojo's  coaching deficits for 4 years and the teams talent, with that in mind What is the numbers of wins YOU SEE for the 18-19 season.

Put your talents on display here Willie: Just the number of wins as YOU SEE with Wojo coaching this team.

Simple Question. No qualifiers, just number of wins.  In Wojo's 4 years I can't recall you ever posting a prediction of Win/Loss record before each season. But I might be wrong on that.  Thanks Willie.
Ok. First, What he better get:
At least 25 or 26 wins, 2nd or 1st in Beast Regular season and at least BEast Championship game in tourney. At least a 3 or better seed in the Dance and at least a sweet 16 appearance. After all, according to many here, the stars are all in alignment for great things.
What they are likely to do under Wojo is 20-22 wins, about 
5th in Conference and 1 win in BEast tourney, with a 7 seed in Dance and 1 and done.
There, I tried to put my big boy pants on but cannot because your head is in the way.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
At least 25 or 26 wins, 2nd or 1st in Beast Regular season and at least BEast Championship game in tourney. At least a 3 or better seed in the Dance and at least a sweet 16 appearance. After all, according to many here, the stars are all in alignment for great things.
5th in Conference and 1 win in BEast tourney, with a 7 seed in Dance and 1 and done.
There, I tried to put my big boy pants on but cannot because your head is in the way.

His head is up your ass?
TAMU

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »

My response is:

-- 25-26 Wins -- Stretch Goal, probably unrealistic. If we do this, we will be a Top 5 team next year and a contender for a Natchamp.

-- 22-23 Wins -- We better. If we're not three games better with JC and Ed Morrow, then we really are in trouble.

-- 3 Seed or Better -- Possible if we land 22+ wins and defeat a couple of the best teams on our schedule. Very possible if we end up defeating Kansas and/or Tennessee in the pre-season NIT and defeat Villanova at home.

-- Big East Championship Game -- Realistic but much depends on how strong Villanova, X, Butler and Seton Hall are. I really believe we stepped into this category with JC's recruitment but we still have a ton to prove.

-- Sweet 16 Appearance -- Expected. Sure, things can wrong but if we play well, meld as a team and up our defense modestly (which I believe we will) and end up a 5 seed or lower, playing into the Sweet 16 should be pretty possible.

-- Beat Depaul Twice -- Damn well better!

-- Beat Bucky -- Only if we want to keep Scoop Nation from going bonkers next winter.

I'm not Big Daddy and don't have inside insights, but after getting JC and being into the fifth year of the Wojo era, I gotta believe everyone around the program knows how important next year will be. Sure, things can and may well go wrong but the time for Wojo to show what happens when he has his guys, his team and his way is NOW. I guarantee he knows that as well.

It didn't hurt any to see Loyola and Sister Jean go as far as they did. It proves good coaching and good team work, hustle and commitment to a goal can mean great things. On paper, we're a better team and a better program than Loyola. It's time to prove it.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
Let’s not forget asteroids......

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2018, 02:17:38 PM »

Gun to your head would you prefer the 26 wins and top 2 in big east or 5th, 22 wins and a sweet 16?
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2018, 02:52:57 PM »
Gun to your head would you prefer the 26 wins and top 2 in big east or 5th, 22 wins and a sweet 16?

26 wins and top 2. Tournament's a crapshoot. The regular season determines the program advancing in the proper direction.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
26 wins and top 2. Tournament's a crapshoot. The regular season determines the program advancing in the proper direction.

See that's clear to the standard poster but sadly I could see us kicking a$$ all year and losing in 64 or 32 and a certain poster still calling for wojos head saying we were terrible etc etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2018, 03:38:52 PM »

OK Willie, I'll get my head out of your way so you can Talk.

First, the question was regarding YOUR prediction?  NOT  what he better Get. What is this like Political  Pivoting.  Looks like your going into your 5th year and still No prediction.

Com' on Willie, what is your Prediction of Wins/Losses for this team with Wojo coaching. Not Expectations, But Your Predictions.  At this point you still haven't put on the Big Boy Pants!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2018, 03:47:41 PM »
OK Willie, I'll get my head out of your way so you can Talk.

First, the question was regarding YOUR prediction?  NOT  what he better Get. What is this like Political  Pivoting.  Looks like your going into your 5th year and still No prediction.

Com' on Willie, what is your Prediction of Wins/Losses for this team with Wojo coaching. Not Expectations, But Your Predictions.  At this point you still haven't put on the Big Boy Pants!

Sorry Willie, I apologize profusely, I miss your 2nd paragraph.   My fault completely, I was interrupted, But No excuses, this is all on me. Big lesson learned.  Thanks.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

fjm

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »

Nova and Xavier had 27 wins in 2017-18.
You expect us one less win in regular season than 2 #1 seeds and a national champ??
Me: 23 wins hopefully

1st/2nd in BEast is attainable. Agree there.
Me: 3rd or better.

You expect BEAST tourney champ game? That's tough seeing as how infrequently both the 1 and 2 seeds make the final.
Me: 2 wins atleast.

NCAA seed: you expect top 3? That's a bit high but with your win expectation that's acceptable.
Me: 6 or lower. Which is a top 20 ranking.

NCAA: you expect sweet 16.
Me: shiz happens: see MSU 2 years ago, Virginia this year.
Me: hopefully sweet 16, maybe Elite 8? But could see an early exit if we get the wrong draw.

I also am hopeful for an average of half the season in the top 20-25.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »
I'm not really concerned with Wojo exceeding Buzz's BE winning percentage.  Buzz was left with Lazar Hayward, Dominic James, Wesley Matthews, and Jerel McNeal when he took over the program.  Wojo was left with Duane Wilson, Luke Fischer, Deonte Burton, Derrick Wilson, and Juan Anderson.  The situations aren't even remotely comparable.

Steve Taylor, JuJuan Johnson, Todd Mayo and John Dawson all say hi..

This all aside, no excuses for next season - even though some are already trying to float a "rust" theory 7 months before the season kicks off.  Wow. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »

This all aside, no excuses for next season - even though some are already trying to float a "rust" theory 7 months before the season kicks off.  Wow.

Thank you for furthering my point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »

Todd Mayo wasn't an option. Wojo couldn't have kept him even if he wanted to.

There are no excuses next season....though there haven't been any excuses in past seasons either. Marquette has met expectations based on their roster every year of Wojo's tenure.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2018, 05:58:50 PM »
Todd Mayo wasn't an option. Wojo couldn't have kept him even if he wanted to.

There are no excuses next season....though there haven't been any excuses in past seasons either. Marquette has met expectations based on their roster every year of Wojo's tenure.

Cool.  Definitely seems like Lovell and company aren't the kind to push for excellence and/or overachievement.  4 years in and no NCAA wins, isn't exactly high standard material. 

Hopefully the long leash will be rewarded beginning next season and thereafter and Wojo guides us to consistent NCAA tourney appearances year in and out.

feedback