[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:41:23 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What can still go wrong  (Read 17678 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: What can still go wrong
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
The D still sucks.  Does the scheme stay the same with the belief that JC makes it way better? Or is there an actual scheme change?

Here's how I'd guess the staff looks at it. It's the pie in the sky mindset, but I think there's some validity to the thought process.

My guess is the belief is that the defense sucked because we were running out Howard and Rowsey, both of whom were subpar defenders for their size, which made it worse because their size was an impediment of itself. Chartouny should help both the on-ball defense, the ability to create turnovers, and our zone because of his wingspan.

Further, in theory another year in the system should help our young players, as Cain, Elliott, and John all showed flashes. In terms of turnovers, Cain and Elliott were 1/2 in steal percentage while John led us in block percentage (Elliott was third). They clearly grew over the year and added strength and experience should help.

In addition, personnel should be improved. Morrow brings toughness, rebounding, and shot-blocking inside. I don't think he's a great man defender (not bad, just not great) but he brings physicality that we lacked when Theo wasn't out there. Joey Hauser, Bailey, and Eke add length and depth inside. Not sure how much they'll play, but their presence should insure our players aren't as worried about foul trouble. Also, both Hauser and Eke have been present for practices during their recoveries so they should be more up-to-speed than the average freshmen.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »
That isn't pie in the sky.......it's virtually impossible to be good on defense with the personnel we had to run out there the last 2 years. Rowsey and Howard were great offensively but could be attacked relentlessly on the other end......youth and lack of physicality with rest of the team also presented huge problems.

Add JC over Rowsey.....add Morrow and Joey(defensive rebounding and toughness).....add experience and hopefully some muscle in the offseason for guys like Cain and Elliott..... .no reason to not honestly believe that the defense will improve........

It's not the X's and the O's.....it's the Jimmy's and The Joe's.......1 of Buzz's favorite sayings.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
That isn't pie in the sky...

I think there's some validity to it, but the idea that Chartouny, Morrow, and Joey are all defensive difference makers, we will see marked improvement from all the freshmen, and length will fill in the gaps is pretty much hoping everything comes together. I think the hope is that all those things would result in a top-50 defense. Personally, I'd be happy with anything inside the top-100 next year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
I'm not suggesting we are going to be great defensively.....I'm suggesting we will be improved enough to make a difference....  if you go from bad to mediocre or even decent that is a huge jump up.

Markus will always pose problems on that end... but much easier to hide 1 midget then 2. When you rep.ace a horrible guard defender with an excellent one it should make a pretty big difference.

If people think if we don't become a top 20 defense it's some kind of failure then I'm not sure what to say.....this has been an offensive juggernaut that just needs to be ok on the other end.

We aren't going to be Virginia......not with our personnel.....and Tony Bennett is the best defensive coach in the country.......and even he has had a couple of mediocre defensive teams in his first 2 years at Virginia when his personnel wasn't good enough.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »
Another factor affecting MU’s defense last year was opponents offensive rebounding which led to many second chance points.  With the addition of Morrow and Joey along with Theo’s maturation along with the other factors MuMark noted, hopefully giving up offensive rebounds will also be less of an issue for MU.

One caveat I would have is that this is sill not the most athletic team around and, while taller, this is not a team with overall great length. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:12:04 PM by Nukem2 »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 02:20:31 PM »
Short of major injury or two derailing the season to one of the core guys, they have no excuses not to be really good next season.   Wojo and staff have done an excellent job putting together a balanced and deep group.  They finally have a roster make up of guys with plenty of experience.  It's up to Wojo to make all the ingredients work together now. 

I don't think they'll disappoint at all, but major expectations for really the first time of the Wojo tenure.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »
Short of major injury or two derailing the season to one of the core guys, they have no excuses not to be really good next season.   Wojo and staff have done an excellent job putting together a balanced and deep group.  They finally have a roster make up of guys with plenty of experience.  It's up to Wojo to make all the ingredients work together now. 

I don't think they'll disappoint at all, but major expectations for really the first time of the Wojo tenure.

I agree, with all Wojo's guys in place it's time to deliver.   The degree of that improvement will be in the perceptions of each poster.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 03:10:48 PM »
Having two under six foot guards would not have been as bad defensively if we had a Jim McIlvanie type shot blocking center. Having a 6'3" guard helps, but we still have Heldt at center. Our only other option is to go smaller at center. People seem to forget our front line was not good defensively. It is hard for any guard to stop a drive, if the refs are going to call hand checks. You need bigmen who can discourage the opponent from driving.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
Having two under six foot guards would not have been as bad defensively if we had a Jim McIlvanie type shot blocking center. Having a 6'3" guard helps, but we still have Heldt at center. Our only other option is to go smaller at center. People seem to forget our front line was not good defensively. It is hard for any guard to stop a drive, if the refs are going to call hand checks. You need bigmen who can discourage the opponent from driving.

That should be Theo John.  Team really needs him to make a jump next season and impact games, especially rebounding and defensively.  He has size, length, and athleticism to do so.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 03:36:27 PM »
That should be Theo John.  Team really needs him to make a jump next season and impact games, especially rebounding and defensively.  He has size, length, and athleticism to do so.
He is pretty athletic. However he does need to get stronger. He was strong for a freshmen, but the top teams often have stronger players than John was last year. John improved a lot as a freshmen. He started out foul prone and learned to play without fouling so much and developed a really nice hook shot.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
Cutting down the net next April with a switchblade!!!!!

I promise you that neither Marquette....not any other team...will cut down the nets with a switchblade again
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 03:41:52 PM »
I promise you that neither Marquette....not any other team...will cut down the nets with a switchblade again

Unless the NCAA lands a switchblade sponsor.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 04:07:24 PM »
I agree, with all Wojo's guys in place it's time to deliver.   The degree of that improvement will be in the perceptions of each poster.
he had all his guys in place last season, and they crapped the bed. Bottom tier BEast and no dance. But lets keep rinsing and repeating.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
he had all his guys in place last season, and they crapped the bed. Bottom tier BEast and no dance. But lets keep rinsing and repeating.

Next year will be the first senior class that Wojo has had at MU that he actually recruited. This isn’t hard to understand.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 04:12:39 PM »
Replacing Andrew Rowsey with Joseph Chatrouney and more time for Elliott alone should be worth close to a 100 point bump in our defensive rating on KenPom.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 04:13:03 PM »
A lot can go wrong.

But people like Whiney Will and Johnny b and ners will just complain. And then their predictions will be either way too high! (1st in BEast, National Champions, Undefeated) and then be pissed when they don't meet them.

Or way low
(Last in BEAST, CBI tourney) and then say "I TOLD YOU SO!" Or "MU GOT LUCKY, had nothing to do with Wojo!"

Next years predictions from scoopers should be interesting.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »

I haven't always been thrilled with Wojo myself, but how about an honest assessment and not hyperbole to get attention?

Your "rinsing and repeating" line is tired too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
I believe the defensive issues were personnel related, not scheme related.  MU's basic man and high ball screen action was fairly common.  Having 2  sub 6 ft guards defending at the in the paint wasn't.  And, IMO, the crux of the problem.  Short guards and slow bigs is always going to be a recipe for disaster.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »

Brother TAMU, I get that.

But doing it with a switchblade is the Warrior way!

Brother Sultan, The NCAA better find a switchblade sponsor by next April!!!!!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 05:38:55 PM »
1.  Injuries
2.  Recovery from existing injuries is slower than anticipated.  Rust.  Skill and strength
3.  JC is not a Savior.
4.  Chemistry.  What happens when some guys don't get the minutes they think they deserve?
5.  Wojo really can't coach.

6. It takes us an entire season to learn to shoot with the lighting of the new arena
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2018, 06:11:51 PM »
The Dodd's theorem.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2018, 06:14:32 PM »

OK Willie put your Big Boy pants on. You've seen Wojo's  coaching deficits for 4 years and the teams talent, with that in mind What is the numbers of wins YOU SEE for the 18-19 season.

Put your talents on display here Willie: Just the number of wins as YOU SEE with Wojo coaching this team.

Simple Question. No qualifiers, just number of wins.  In Wojo's 4 years I can't recall you ever posting a prediction of Win/Loss record before each season. But I might be wrong on that.  Thanks Willie.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
I haven't always been thrilled with Wojo myself, but how about an honest assessment and not hyperbole to get attention?

Your "rinsing and repeating" line is tired too.
Mike Dean got fired with a 100-55 record after 5 seasons. Wojo is 73-58 after four seasons and will not come close to the five year record Mike Dean had. Marquette's all-time winning percentage is higher than Wojo's so he is under performing all the other coaches combined. I am not in the fire Wojo camp, but he needs to step up his results.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2018, 09:37:46 PM »
Mike Dean got fired with a 100-55 record after 5 seasons. Wojo is 73-58 after four seasons and will not come close to the five year record Mike Dean had. Marquette's all-time winning percentage is higher than Wojo's so he is under performing all the other coaches combined. I am not in the fire Wojo camp, but he needs to step up his results.

What conference was Dean coaching in again?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2018, 10:05:09 PM »
The ticket for jaywalking on 6th and WI hits too close to home.

feedback