[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette: Steve Wojciechowski  (Read 9172 times)

radome

• Team Captain
Marquette: Steve Wojciechowski
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
From: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-moves-grading-2014s-biggest-hires-four-years-into-the-job/

Grade: B

The Golden Eagles have made one NCAA Tournament (2017) in four seasons under Wojo, who has a 73-59 record. This is the Duke alumnus' first go of it as a head coach. Wojciechowski's done a solid job, but it's a letdown when you contrast with Virginia Tech's situation above. How so? Whereas Virginia Tech seldom makes the NCAA Tournament (and with Williams making back-to-back Dances, it bumps up his grade), Marquette has a much better history.

The Eagles have made only one NCAA Tournament in the past four years. The last time the school had this kind of "drought" under one coach was from 1989-1993, when it took Kevin O'Neill four years to make his first NCAA Tournament. Personally, I think Marquette is a sneaky candidate to break through next season and be a No. 5, 6 or 7 seed. Not many are projecting MU to be that good, but a lot of guys return.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Marquette: Steve Wojciechowski
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:01:02 PM »
Pretty fair. He was left nothing in the cupboard and took no shortcuts in trying to fill it. But we have a lot of talent and great balance heading into next season. Exciting time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
Wojo is already an A recruiter and that is obviously half the battle. As a head coach he’s still young and learning. If he can match his coaching ability to his recruiting ability watch out
No Finish Line

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »
If Wojo can continue the upward trajectory in recruiting I think we will see his coaching improve also...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »
Pretty fair. He was left nothing in the cupboard and took no shortcuts in trying to fill it. But we have a lot of talent and great balance heading into next season. Exciting time.

Fixed.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
Fixed.
Thank you!  the over/under for you turning this into the same tired argument as the "Take it to the bank" thread and countless others was 10 posts.  I won $40 off your predictable posting over generations of user names.

Edit: also, i agree with the B rating.  I, like others, assume/see evidence that Wojo is building the program to be sustainable and is being graded in an 'immediate satisfaction' world.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:22:26 PM by naginiF »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:50:35 PM »

mr.MUskie

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
Like when you take a dog to the vet fixed?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »
Fixed

/\
    |
    |
    |
    \______  What he said.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »
    /\
    |
    |
    |
    \______  What he said.
you         have                     too                                    much                                                      time                                                                      on                                                                                   your                                                                                             hands

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 10:53:55 PM »
From: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-moves-grading-2014s-biggest-hires-four-years-into-the-job/

Grade: B

The Golden Eagles have made one NCAA Tournament (2017) in four seasons under Wojo, who has a 73-59 record. This is the Duke alumnus' first go of it as a head coach. Wojciechowski's done a solid job, but it's a letdown when you contrast with Virginia Tech's situation above. How so? Whereas Virginia Tech seldom makes the NCAA Tournament (and with Williams making back-to-back Dances, it bumps up his grade), Marquette has a much better history.

The Eagles have made only one NCAA Tournament in the past four years. The last time the school had this kind of "drought" under one coach was from 1989-1993, when it took Kevin O'Neill four years to make his first NCAA Tournament. Personally, I think Marquette is a sneaky candidate to break through next season and be a No. 5, 6 or 7 seed. Not many are projecting MU to be that good, but a lot of guys return.

Hard to argue with this.

Next year is huge for the program.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »
NM

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 11:44:50 PM »
Hard to argue with this.

Next year is huge for the program.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 06:00:59 AM »
That was the most negative review for a B I've ever seen.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 07:15:41 AM »
Wojo is already an A recruiter and that is obviously half the battle. As a head coach he’s still young and learning. If he can match his coaching ability to his recruiting ability watch out

This will be the big question mark next year, how to use 12 players correctly?  I think Bailey will have to get sometime to keep him happy?
He is older, then again he maybe like Froling and not deserve anytime or maybe one of the best players on the time?  That would make MU
real interesting next year, Stan seems to love him, has a good family pedigree and the 2 years off he has put on some weight as he was Cain
skinny.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
The question is, has the program turned the rebuilding corner now, and can we expect sustained performance from this point forward.   We will see.  But looking good.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »
Riiiggghhhttt... "Still young and learning.." Lets see, he spent what.. about 15 years "learning" at the elite level of Duke and is in his 40's. I would submit that his learning curve should have been achieved well before now. But that is OK, get this one cued up in the EXCUSE LIST so if necessary, it can be called out later.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 09:54:10 AM »
Hard to defend Wojo on some areas of coaching, there is no doubt on this in my mind.  With that said his roster has been defensively inept regardless of scheme and no number of years as an assistant can fully prepare a guy to be head coach.  Absolutely entirely different. Every head coach was arguably and at least in some peoples eyes an exemplary assistant in fact the best assitant available and warranted the job. Yet most fail. 
All that said Wojos recruiting has even better than i could imagine .  IMO its gonna be really interesting to see what he does with this 2019 class if he gets some of the current targets we will have an absolutely incredibly highly rated roster. Really good times potentially ahead. 🍆
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:24:19 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
Riiiggghhhttt... "Still young and learning.." Lets see, he spent what.. about 15 years "learning" at the elite level of Duke and is in his 40's. I would submit that his learning curve should have been achieved well before now. But that is OK, get this one cued up in the EXCUSE LIST so if necessary, it can be called out later.

Haven’t gotten your Mazos burger in you yet today Willie? Your exceptionally crabby today, even by your standards.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
Wee willie whines weekends
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »
Haven’t gotten your Mazos burger in you yet today Willie? Your exceptionally crabby today, even by your standards.
Crabby---really? Nothing like stating facts about Wojo and learning, which he had quite a bit before he arrived at MU. Don't see how that is crabby. Your standards may need adjustment.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback