[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette - Oregon Game  (Read 2014 times)

djorling

• Walk-On
Marquette - Oregon Game
« on: April 13, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »
I do not post here often but read Scoop a lot to keep up to date on MU hoops.  I live in Oregon, but follow MU hoops faithfully.  Graduated from MU A&S 1968 and Law in 1971.  So I'm not sure where to post this, so am going to the superbar just to be safe.  I am wondering if Marquette received any complaints about the conduct of the Lacrosse team during the NIT games when they engaged in some innovative ways to distract from players.  I have a local acquaintance (Not an Oregon Alum) who thought this was egregious unsportsmanlike conduct which should have been called for a technical and suppressed by University Administrators.  I defended the actions of the Lacrosse team with a number of points and still pictures of 3 of those events, as did an Oregon Alum that is a friend of mine.

We received the following response from this acquaintance:

"Interesting responses from you both.  Disappointing, in fact.  Sure, ‘students will be students’ and other schools are worse.  That includes Oregon fans.  But that doesn’t mean that we (and school administrations) should tolerate fans who, as in this case, represent the University and act like goons.  This is especially egregious behavior for a supposedly upstanding private university…Catholic, no less…as Marquette. Shame on you two.

Has there been any negative feedback from the public, the NCAA, the officials of the games or MU officials.  I have a call into the Alumni Office and the Athletic Department.  Thanks in advance for any info along these lines.  If preferred, contact at my email address is ok.  djorling@comcast.net

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Marquette - Oregon Game
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 03:35:19 PM »
I'm glad Nova fans aren't this sensitive.  That was the only game where the students potentially crossed the line. 

I saw nothing wrong with the actions of the lax team, and since there were multiple times that the ref looked up before the free throw was shot and laughed means that they most likely did not have a problem with it either.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:45:24 PM by Its DJOver »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 03:44:38 PM »
I do not post here often but read Scoop a lot to keep up to date on MU hoops.  I live in Oregon, but follow MU hoops faithfully.  Graduated from MU A&S 1968 and Law in 1971.  So I'm not sure where to post this, so am going to the superbar just to be safe.  I am wondering if Marquette received any complaints about the conduct of the Lacrosse team during the NIT games when they engaged in some innovative ways to distract from players.  I have a local acquaintance (Not an Oregon Alum) who thought this was egregious unsportsmanlike conduct which should have been called for a technical and suppressed by University Administrators.  I defended the actions of the Lacrosse team with a number of points and still pictures of 3 of those events, as did an Oregon Alum that is a friend of mine.

We received the following response from this acquaintance:

"Interesting responses from you both.  Disappointing, in fact.  Sure, ‘students will be students’ and other schools are worse.  That includes Oregon fans.  But that doesn’t mean that we (and school administrations) should tolerate fans who, as in this case, represent the University and act like goons.  This is especially egregious behavior for a supposedly upstanding private university…Catholic, no less…as Marquette. Shame on you two.

Has there been any negative feedback from the public, the NCAA, the officials of the games or MU officials.  I have a call into the Alumni Office and the Athletic Department.  Thanks in advance for any info along these lines.  If preferred, contact at my email address is ok.  djorling@comcast.net

Why does your acquaintance think it was disrespectful?  From my understanding, it wasn't obscene or indecent.  It was a bunch of college kids making noise and being creative about it.  They were hardly goons.

This guy must be a lot of fun at parties.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »
Know won mooned the shoota dat eye know of. Maybee just go back to da you suck cheer den, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »
LOL @ ur acquaintance.

It's not a golf match.

Fans are supposed to try to distract the opposing FT shooters/opposition in general. It's called home court advantage!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 03:50:58 PM »
I thought it was brilliant and as far as I know they did absolutely nothing that could have been considered offensive.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 03:54:45 PM »
If he saw what ASU does at home games, he might have a heart attack.

Hell, if he heard the hip hop tracks Marquette played pre game, his head might have exploded.  Damn youths.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 03:54:58 PM »
They had Coach Amplo's young girls involved in most of their skits. Absolutely none of it was inappropriate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
There was no blowback.  The lacrosse team was nearly universally praised.  Coach Wojo actually made a personal trip to one of their workout sessions the next day and thanked them personally.   There were no obscenities.    Your acquaintance  sounds  like he is suffering from hurt feelings and a lack of perspective.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
Lol. This is ridiculous.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »
SMH

At a Catholic school no less!  I mean, I expect that out of state school heathens but not Catholics!

Seriously though, this friend of the OP sounds overly sensitive. Methinks he's a sore loser.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 05:09:22 PM »
OK, so maybe I'm a little slow, but it's been a really long week...

As I was reading the initial post, I'm thinking, "Marquette LAX played Oregon?  I wonder when.  They have an NIT in LAX?  I wonder who won."

It wasn't until I read the first response and saw the reference to "free throws" that I realized he was talking about the LAX antics at the basketball game.  Like I said...I'm a little slow today.

My next thought was, "You've got to be kidding me?!  Someone had a problem with that?!  That was awesome!"

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 05:50:39 PM »
Lol for real? This guy should go hang at NBA games where there is no real cheering at all. College kids are buffoons whether it's the uncoordinated loud noises during free throws, the "Karen sypher" chant, the f*ck the Irish chant or the "you suck" chant. Some people are so removed from their youth it's unbelievable
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
Send this picture to your buddy on our behalf.

Those Pacific Northwesterners are even snowflakier than I thought.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »
I thought the Lax bros were fantastic.  Nothing the did was anything but creative, good fun.  I always draw the line with the Syracuse incident 35 years ago involving Ewing.  Never disrespect the opponent.  Short of that, go for it boys.  And here's hoping that Wojo sets 'em up with some darn good seats next year.  Maybe this can catch on with the broader student body in some form of a 'superfan' group.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »
You're kidding....right?

Their antics were replayed many time by ESPN with high praise from the announcers.

Respectfully, you're kidding...right?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 07:47:10 PM »
Tell him:

#ftsnomatta

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
Also, please do us a favor and point out to your friend that Oregon missed 8 free throws, but they lost by 9 points.

It's a moot point.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »
Respectfully - and I mean super respectfully - eff your friend.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 08:23:50 AM »
You need to get better acquaintances

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »
They had Coach Amplo's young girls involved in most of their skits. Absolutely none of it was inappropriate.

We're those Amplo's daughters that won the tug o war against the entire team?  Hilarious.

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
Thanks, Scoopers, for your feedback. Especially those that said that there had not been any blowback, which was what I was concerned about.  Clearly my acquaintance - a lawyer no less - has grown up to be a curmudgeon in his old age.  He's not a Duck fan, as his email makes clear.  And the Duck fans I know - which are many since I follow the Ducks (my favorite team after Marquette) - all said they thought it was fun and think it will spread.

By the way, one of my Duck friends said that this was the first meeting between the two schools, and that MU's media guide's record of having met and defeated Oregon once before, in 1927-28, in Milwaukee by a score of 16/15 was in error.  I checked Oregon's Media Guide and the game is not shown.  So I checked Oregon State's media guide and sure enough, there is was in their guide that OSU lost to MU in Milwaukee back in 1927-28 season by a score of 16/15.  So assuming this is correct, MU's all time won loss record against Oregon is 1-0 (MU's Nit win) and our record against OSU is 1 - 2, not  0-2 as reflected in MU's media guide.

I know, I  have too much time on my hands, but I hate it when the record book shows that we have never beat an opponent (i.e. Purdue).  I sent the Athletic Department an email about this apparent error, but have not heard back.  Anyway, thanks again for your feedback.  dj

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 07:46:09 PM »
I thought it was the best display of school spirit in a long time.  Hope it carries over into the new arena.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback