[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: It is just a game  (Read 2432 times)

tower912

• All American
It is just a game
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »
I went to the last game of the season last night for the Grand Rapids Drive.   If they win, they are in the G-league playoffs.   I spent most of the night cursing Isaiah Whitehead, former Seton Hall player, as he was torching the Drive for 39 points.   

Then this happened
http://www.mlive.com/drive/2018/03/big_night_for_drive_turns_horr.htm

I didn't see him fall, even though he was about 100' away.   When I saw  him on the ground, I assumed he had taken a shot to the head during the scrum for a crucial rebound.    Then he didn't move.    At all.   The trainers came running out with an AED, which they did not use.    Then they signaled for the paramedics with the stretcher.     My first inkling that it wasn't a shot to the head came when I saw how they rolled him over and onto the sheet.    They did not protect his head or neck.   

All the while, my 11 year old and the kids seated all around me are carrying on a commentary/discussion about whether it was a concussion.    While I suspected far worse but was not going to let them know that.    I've seen death and dying so often that I am usually numb to it, but I could not help but think how this could affect these kids. 

No updates this morning.    I don't know if he lives or not.    I do know that the Drive won the game, but as stated in the article, it felt weird.    I do know that he is a young man with a family, loved ones, etc.    I am reminded that all of these players in all of these games on all of these teams are nothing more than young men and women playing a game.    With hopes, dreams, tics, successes, failures.    They aren't avatars.   They don't exist in a vacuum.       And as much as I love it and love to dissect it with any and all comers.......... it is just a game.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:26:47 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
Re: It is just a game
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:40:38 AM »
No news seems to be bad news tower.  Prayers for his family.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
Link broken..?

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:43:43 PM »
Wow, saw the video.  Really scary.  I'll be saying some prayers for Zeke, hopefully we will hear some good news soon.  It is just game...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:09:45 PM »
Still alive, critical condition.

Shameless plug: Learn how an AED works, people.  Please.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:10 AM »
They did not use the AED inside the arena.
FWIW, teammates tweeted yesterday afternoon that he had died.  A statement by the team and the hospital was issued shortly thereafter saying g he was still alive.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:57:10 AM »
Hmm .. cannot find a working link to the video..

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
A memory rush due to this death:

I had never seen a professional boxing match. Alfredo Evangelista (who had just fought Muhammad Ali) was on the 09/09/1977  main card at Madrid's Palacio de Deportes...so we got tickets and settled into watching an under card match ...for Spain's middleweight championship.

In the early 5th round, one fighter caught the other square and his whole body stiffened as he fell square back on his skull ...clearly totally out cold. Minutes passed ....four mili kids awkwardly ambled in the ring with a stretcher (think keystone cops)..and then the speaker urgently pled to the crowd (translated)..."is there a doctor in the house ?"...(yes...no doctor...1977 Spain is not like today).

The paper reported the next morning the fighter was dead before the hospital arrival...

I never attended a boxing match again, ...first time was my last time.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

tower912

• All American

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
Very sad.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »
Agreed, very sad.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
His mother is suing the Pistons, the Drive, and the arena for inadequate initial care.  Proving liability and negligence is tricky, but she has an interesting starting point.  It is also difficult to prove that the proper treatment would have changed the outcome.  From one experienced in emergency care in the field, I can say I was unimpressed with the care he received.  The video shows him in the ground with no meaningful first aid for going on for 4 minutes.   Never hooked up to a defibrillator or had oxygen started.  When the game finished and we exited the building, the ambulance was still there, even though there is a world class ER 5 minutes away.
   I don't know if she wins,  but some people have reason to be nervous.     The problems for her as I see it is that (A) The Pistons are 2.5 hours away.   (B) The team/arena had an ambulance on scene.  (C) There was an AED at courtside.    It was brought to the patient's side.    It was not used.    (D) I think her attorney is going for liability and negligence because medical malpractice is so hard to prove, particularly in the field, particularly against two trainers and an ambulance crew.   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/nba-to-be-sued-in-g-league-player-zeke-upshaws-death/ar-AAy1hbJ?ocid=spartandhp
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:14:02 PM by tower912 »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »
His mother is suing the Pistons, the Drive, and the arena for inadequate initial care.  Proving liability and negligence is tricky, but she has an interesting starting point.  It is also difficult to prove that the proper treatment would have changed the outcome.  From one experienced in emergency care in the field, I can say I was unimpressed with the care he received.  The video shows him in the ground with no meaningful first aid for going on for 4 minutes.   Never hooked up to a defibrillator or had oxygen started.  When the game finished and we exited the building, the ambulance was still there, even though there is a world class ER 5 minutes away.
   I don't know if she wins,  but some people have reason to be nervous.     The problems for her as I see it is that (A) The Pistons are 2.5 hours away.   (B) The team/arena had an ambulance on scene.  (C) There was an AED at courtside.    It was brought to the patient's side.    It was not used.    (D) I think her attorney is going for liability and negligence because medical malpractice is so hard to prove, particularly in the field, particularly against two trainers and an ambulance crew.   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/nba-to-be-sued-in-g-league-player-zeke-upshaws-death/ar-AAy1hbJ?ocid=spartandhp

I'd like to know what is expected these days?  D-fibs were not normal in my day and I do not know what the codes are today to make them available.  Can you shed some light due to your profession, are they required as a matter of law in certain buildings?  If not, what is the expectation a reasonable person should have in terms of the care that needs to be provided?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »

tower-correct me if i'm wrong, but they could have at least hooked him up to the AED and the worst that could have happened is it tells you "shock is not advised" and no shock is delivered. 

very sad and a very traumatic event to have occurred in front of everyone.  i'm thinking some kind of settlement will be awarded however, i just realized "awarded" is not a very good choice of words here.  his family/mom didn't win anything

don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/06/02/zeke-upshaw-death-grand-rapids-drive-g-league/665151002/

This is consistent with what I saw.    I assumed that he was being treated for a head/neck injury/concussion until they rolled him over without concern for his head.   

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »
Confused somewhat about the timeline- he was conscious ("answered affirmatively"?) when first responders showed?

I hesitate to judge first responders too harshly in any situation.  That being said, young athlete collapsing suddenly screams fatal arrhythmia, not sure why it wasn't immediately placed in this situation. CPR/AEDs should be something that most lay people can use (simple directions and only one or two buttons) that can and will be the difference for someone.