[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Froling Gone  (Read 33955 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Froling Gone
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
Sorry it didn't work out.  I thought he would be a difference maker.   Every now and again there would be a flash.  A dribble drive and dunk.  A really nice pass.  A tough rebound.  But he was slow defensively, particularly in space.  And there just aren't minutes for a third center.   Good luck, young man.  Seemed like a good kid.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
Now the intrigue :  What DO we do with TWO?

Plan A  Best case scenario.
 Plan B
 Plan C
 Plan D

Start a thread.  But I like glow 's take in the recruiting thread.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
Honestly I think one of the biggest factors working against Harry was the midseason transfer.  You don't have time to log minutes and prove yourself against cupcakes and Wojo rightly was not interested in experimenting in a one possession game at Providence or Seton Hall.  Knew this was probably coming but I still wish he had stayed as I think he never really got comfortable.  Now go get someone good to fill the spot!

Luke was a midseason transfer and looked just fine from day one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2018, 06:51:07 PM »
 :-[
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Guess I was a little early.
I think most here suspected you would be in the end.   And most suspected it didn't or wouldn't go down exactly like you had been told.  But he gowne.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
I thought this guy was going to help us elevate another level. Good luck to him but he was not this year's springboard to success for whatever reason.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2017/01/10/smu-transfer-harry-froling-picks-marquette/96388088/

(At SMU) Froling was disappointed with his role under Jankovich. He averaged 4.3 points and 3.2 rebounds in 14.6 minutes per game, appearing in 10 contests.

Ooops.  Grass is always greener.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2018, 07:31:41 PM »
Froling had a lot of playing time when he got here  and the team was urging him to do more. He just did not bring it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
One and dones under Wojo:
Harry, Wally, Carlino, Henry, Katin, Steve Taylor.

None and Dones:  Gabe, Nick, Toddler

6 Months and Dones:  Magic, Deonte

1.5 and Dones: Traci and Sandy

Next season is Wojo's year with his roster.  That's a lot of quick turnover and not all bad as he builds his roster ...but the clock is running as it is all his guys now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2018, 08:29:47 PM »
Probably works out best for both parties. Best of luck, Harry!

onepost

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2018, 08:38:43 PM »
Waiting for the Dude that he was a difference maker to speak up about Harry.

Crickets.

You may be referring to me.  I think Tower stated it perfectly a few posts ago, but I thought Harry would be awesome here.  I saw a big man who could stretch the floor and had a really nice stroke given his size.  After his year of getting in shape I was even more bullish on Harry, but as has already been mentioned, he just didn't have the drive.  He'd show flashes to get you excited, knock down a couple threes, make a really nice move in the post, but nothing materialized.  It seemed like his teammates wanted it more for him than he himself.

Sucks it didn't work out, cause I thought he could have added a crazy dimension to this program, but I'll happily admit when I'm wrong.  Fortunately we are loaded in the front court and can bring in a grad transfer and best transfer available this offseason.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »
What's this from .. 90 days ago ..

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=55033.0

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 08:58:45 PM »
Man,did coach Carawell  mislead us.  ;)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »

Luke was a midseason transfer and looked just fine from day one.
I know it sounds like an excuse but I believe that foot injury put him at a big disadvantage, he missed like 2-3 months of practice. Did not have a chance to gel with the team, he looked lost. Can't really blame Wojo, why not go after a 6-11 guy who was a top 100 recruit.
Goal is National Championship

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2018, 10:07:40 PM »
You may be referring to me. 
Jay Bilas seemed to think so too
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2018, 10:28:59 PM »
I actually saw Harry tonight around 6 in the Apple store in Mayfair while I was getting my phone fixed, he was wearing MU gear and looking at iPhones and I was surprised to get on here to find out this news broke before I even saw him there. Best of luck to the kid

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »
Jay Bilas seemed to think so too

I thought this as I read some Scoopers trashing those who initially were high on Froling.

Bilas is a pretty darn good analyst. He thought Froling was going to excel for us. He was wrong. It happens.

Froling was a 6-10, 6-11 kid with a decent shot and a nice nose for defensive rebounds. He was recruited by Larry Brown. He absolutely was worth a flyer.

He went 9 and 7 in his second game, had 8 rebs vs. X in his third game and there weren't a whole lot of Scoopers who were predicting he'd be garbage then.

He had a 3-game stretch midway through the conference season in which he averaged 8-6-2 while playing 23 mpg and shooting 69% to work his way into the starting lineup. He looked like he'd be at least as good as Heldt, who was benched.

That turned out to be the beginning of the end, though. Harry struggled mightily, was benched and never really regained his footing.

Still, he did hit two crucial 3's against Georgetown when the other bigs were in foul trouble. His teammates were telling him to shoot it, and they seemed absolutely thrilled for him. There was no faking how they felt about him.

So despite it all, he did make some good memories during his short time at MU - at least I hope that's how he feels.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2018, 11:59:21 PM »
The Aussie Niv Berkowitz

There are REALLY big Marquette fans who don’t remember Terry Sanders or Todd Townsend but know exactly who Niv is. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:36:36 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
Let me say this though.  All indications are that Harry worked hard, did what he was told, and was a good teammate.  We all wish him future success.  #mubb

Agreed. Good luck, Harry.

connie

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2018, 06:12:31 AM »
Let me say this though.  All indications are that Harry worked hard, did what he was told, and was a good teammate.  We all wish him future success.  #mubb
Always looked like he was a class act personally.  Good Luck Harry.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2018, 07:26:45 AM »
I thought this as I read some Scoopers trashing those who initially were high on Froling.

Bilas is a pretty darn good analyst. He thought Froling was going to excel for us. He was wrong. It happens.

Froling was a 6-10, 6-11 kid with a decent shot and a nice nose for defensive rebounds. He was recruited by Larry Brown. He absolutely was worth a flyer.

He went 9 and 7 in his second game, had 8 rebs vs. X in his third game and there weren't a whole lot of Scoopers who were predicting he'd be garbage then.

He had a 3-game stretch midway through the conference season in which he averaged 8-6-2 while playing 23 mpg and shooting 69% to work his way into the starting lineup. He looked like he'd be at least as good as Heldt, who was benched.

That turned out to be the beginning of the end, though. Harry struggled mightily, was benched and never really regained his footing.

Still, he did hit two crucial 3's against Georgetown when the other bigs were in foul trouble. His teammates were telling him to shoot it, and they seemed absolutely thrilled for him. There was no faking how they felt about him.

So despite it all, he did make some good memories during his short time at MU - at least I hope that's how he feels.
I’m thinking a large part of Bilas’ opinion on Froling was taken from Wojo’s opinion of Froling
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2018, 07:59:41 AM »
Hot take alert

Not just a hot take, but a bad take
If Harry is Wojo's worst miss on the recruiting trail, I can live with that. No coach bats 1.000.
Lest we forget, the two previous coaches gave scholies to the likes of Kevin Menard, Bret Roseboro, Yousoupha Mbao and Niv Berkowitz.

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2018, 08:19:41 AM »
Harry was a nice kid who just lacked the motor to become an effective player in the big east.

Loved his consoling of rowsey at the big east tournament when he had known he was already long gone. Best of lucky, harry!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2018, 09:10:09 AM »
Not just a hot take, but a bad take
If Harry is Wojo's worst miss on the recruiting trail, I can live with that. No coach bats 1.000.
Lest we forget, the two previous coaches gave scholies to the likes of Kevin Menard, Bret Roseboro, Yousoupha Mbao and Niv Berkowitz.

+1

And to be fair, Harry did have some skills that no other big here had. His rebounding, passing, and even shooting was better than anyone else at the 5. His lack of defense and maybe being a step too slow prevented that from being enough.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
Our roster build is such that him leaving doesn't put us in a bind... we're fine.

But, I refute the claim that he was a bust with little to no hope going forward... he gave us a look that Matt and Theo didn't.

Plus-rebounder, good size, with the ability on offense to face up and shoot from outside, as well as distribute.

There's a good chance he could have become a nice piece over the next two years. Would have been happy to see him stay.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »
Our roster build is such that him leaving doesn't put us in a bind... we're fine.

But, I refute the claim that he was a bust with little to no hope going forward... he gave us a look that Matt and Theo didn't.

Plus-rebounder, good size, with the ability on offense to face up and shoot from outside, as well as distribute.

There's a good chance he could have become a nice piece over the next two years. Would have been happy to see him stay.
Agree.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.