[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo, 4 years in  (Read 34365 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Wojo, 4 years in
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »
Admittedly 4 mediocre seasons?  You lost me there.  First few years rebuild. Two post season appearances since, youngest team in Big East this year.   Way too many glass half empty fans.

I'm definitely in the pro Wojo camp and completely understand the first two years were not his fault. Really woulda liked to be in the big dance this year is all. Stupid DePaul.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
I'm definitely in the pro Wojo camp and completely understand the first two years were not his fault. Really woulda liked to be in the big dance this year is all. Stupid DePaul.

It's almost like some Marquette fans change their opinion depending on which way the wind is blowing. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »

We played an extremely difficult schedule.  Depaul loss was one, but Georgia was another. Young teams sometimes have shocking wins and shocking losses.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »
Admittedly 4 mediocre seasons?  You lost me there.  First few years rebuild. Two post season appearances since, youngest team in Big East this year.   Way too many glass half empty fans.

Yeah, I'm with you WD. At the Beginning of the year many Posters were expecting a Step Back from last year and would be happy with an NIT bid.

I think KenPom Had us at 16 wins (They Didn't consider the Maui games), well we beat that.  I think the BEAST Coach's as well as others had us finishing where we did.

I think most Posters are happy with the Offense and would agree that the Defense has to be fixed.  If anyone  get a chance to see Coach K's Sideline interview immediately after the Syracuse game they might get some more insight in coaching Players.

I view these 4 years as an upward trend and would not be surprised if Wojo is  rewarded by the Admin.

I'm upbeat about year 5, But still cautious after the Froling  experience and now a player coming off a 2 year Mission, it would seem away from Basketball.  But I see a NCAA bid with no sweat.  All Good.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
of note for Marquette fans
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2018, 07:54:05 PM »
Porter Moser had a losing record in four of his first five seasons at Loyola. Now he’s bringing his Ramblers to the Final Four. Loyola's administration showed patience letting him build the program. Moser is a Rick Majerus disciple.

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: of note for Marquette fans
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2018, 11:02:49 PM »
Porter Moser had a losing record in four of his first five seasons at Loyola. Now he’s bringing his Ramblers to the Final Four. Loyola's administration showed patience letting him build the program. Moser is a Rick Majerus disciple.

Not just a losing record, a really bad conference losing record.

Year 1  1-17
Year 2  5-11
Year 3  4-14  (A portion of MU fans asking for firing here)
Year 4  8-10  (Some are silenced for a year with improvement)
Year 5  7-11  (MU fans go off the rail here)
Year 6  8-10  (the fire Porter MU train is full steam ahead with 10% refusing to get on)

Year 7  15-3  (100% on board Porter is greatest coach ever and never waivered)

Juniors and Seniors that learn how to win will do that for you.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2018, 11:59:48 PM »
Not just a losing record, a really bad conference losing record.

Year 1  1-17
Year 2  5-11
Year 3  4-14  (A portion of MU fans asking for firing here)
Year 4  8-10  (Some are silenced for a year with improvement)
Year 5  7-11  (MU fans go off the rail here)
Year 6  8-10  (the fire Porter MU train is full steam ahead with 10% refusing to get on)

Year 7  15-3  (100% on board Porter is greatest coach ever and never waivered)

Juniors and Seniors that learn how to win will do that for you.

One most consider the starting point as well.  From the April 2017 from the press release announcing his second extension. He also received an extension in 2013:

Over the last three years, Moser has steered the Ramblers to 57 wins, the most over a three-year period in 30 years and he piloted Loyola to the 2015 College Basketball Invitational (CBI) championship, the program’s first postseason title since capturing the 1963 NCAA championship. This season, Loyola received votes for the Associated Press Top 25 Poll for the first time since the 1984-85 campaign.

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/porter-moser-signs-extension/

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2018, 06:54:53 AM »

We aren't Loyola.

I'm a graduate of both schools and I hope Loyola does what they did when I was six. But, we spend oodles more on basketball than they do. We play in a real conference with only one mid-major team (DePaul) and the probable national champion. We have a new arena coming on line more than twice the size of their's.

Look, I'm not diminishing what Loyola did this year. It's spectacular. Sister Jean is a sweetheart who embraces all the values we hold dear as Jesuit educated people. But this year is a bit of a freak for Loyola. Their year is an expectation for us. When we don't get it, we start calling for heads and wonder what's wrong. If we went 33 years without a trip to the NCAA, we'd burn campus down!

If they don't go, they act like Cub fans.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2018, 07:11:08 AM »
dgies

Spot on. To compare Moser’s career path at Loyola to MU situation is off target. MU is a basketball school and Loyola is not. I have said many times, if MU wants to spend limited money on the program, I would not complain about on court success.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2018, 08:46:05 AM »
It's almost like some Marquette fans change their opinion depending on which way the wind is blowing.
Not dissimilar from most fans.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
When Loyola was getting interest from the MVC, they were told that they needed to increase their basketball budget in order to be considered for membership.  They did.  This year's team is the first class experiencing the increase in expenses on recruiting and under the MVC-label.  If they decided to spend as much on men's basketball as other Big East programs, due to this historical run, then it is likely that this year is not a one-off. 

If Loyola is committed, they will continue building this thing up.  Who's to say they didn't see what the Big East was able to do - becoming the highest and most prestigious non-football conference nationwide - and ask, "Why can't we be at that level?" 

It will be fascinating to see where Loyola is in ten years.  Runs like these really spark more investments, admissions and resources into a school and program.  Heck, look at Marquette's Final Four run in 2003.  It's very arguable that the run alone was enough to propel us into an invitation to the Big East.