[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting - Guards  (Read 6582 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Recruiting - Guards
« on: March 09, 2018, 07:21:47 AM »
MU needs to bring in two guards for next year.One is not enough.Need point guard and combo.Can not just have Howard,Elliott and hopefully grad transfer.

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Recruiting - Guards
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:24:15 AM »
You're assuming someone leaves, which history tells us is fair, but is Sacar not a guard?

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:26:57 AM »
Sacar is not a guard.Not against high level competition

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 07:27:45 AM »
I agree with the premise.  But going forward, recruit guards with size.  Villanova is nothing but four big versatile guards and a wide body stretch 4 who can shoot the 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 07:28:46 AM »
One will be plenty. Markus will be playing 35 mpg. Between Cain, Elliott, Anim, hopefully a grad transfer, and Bailey there are plenty of guards to fill the other 45 guard minutes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:34:41 AM by hagansworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 07:32:26 AM »
Ok. With our increase in skill and depth in the frontcourt, Sam will primarily be able to play the 3, I only bring this up because we've run three guard sets before and I don't think we'll be seing a lot of that next year.  That means we have to get 80 minutes a game from guards. Markus is pretty much locked into 30, and grad transfer wouldn't come unless they were promised 20-25,  that means we have 25-30 minutes to split between Greg and Sacar. I think that's pretty manageable and I think Sacar is a guard. We most definently need one guard coming in the summer I don't think we need two.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 07:35:19 AM »
You're assuming someone leaves, which history tells us is fair, but is Sacar not a guard?

They can call him a guard if they want to, but no, Sacar is not a guard.  Sacar is a small forward.  You want him dribbling against pressure?  I sure don't.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
They can call him a guard if they want to, but no, Sacar is not a guard.  Sacar is a small forward.  You want him dribbling against pressure?  I sure don't.
If Sacar is a small forward he's gonna have a tough time seeing the court over Sam, our starting small forward next year.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 07:40:45 AM »
One will be plenty. Markus will be playing 35 mpg. Between Cain, Elliott, Anim, hopefully a grad transfer, and Bailey there are plenty of guards to fill the other 45 guard minutes.

That grad transfer better be a 6-4 guy with a great handle who can defend.  We need one of those guys next year and we're a top 25 team.  I think we are going to miss Rowsey because we don't have one remaining guy with rudimentary PG skills, unless Elliott's hand injury is so bad that I am completely misreading his talent level.  I get combo guards are all the rage, but you still need someone who can handle pressure, distribute the ball and defend the other team's primary ball handler.  I know Rowsey couldn't do the last part, and that is why we are likely an NIT team.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:48:48 AM by CTWarrior »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:03 AM »
If Sacar is a small forward he's gonna have a tough time seeing the court over Sam, our starting small forward next year.

I he starts at the 2 then we will only have one guard on the floor and two small forwards.  He is not a guard.  He can't do any guard things.  Hauser is more of a guard when it comes to offense than is Sacar.  He is a very able passer, at least.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:49:41 AM by CTWarrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 07:50:06 AM »
Need guards over 5'8", butt more importantly, dey kneed sum ass kickers inside hoo can protect the rim and board, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 08:00:02 AM »
Between Cain, Elliott, Anim, hopefully a grad transfer, and Bailey there are plenty of guards to fill the other 45 guard minutes.

I thought Bailey was a forward. Has he got the handle to spend time at guard?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 08:03:02 AM »
Need guards over 5'8", butt more importantly, dey kneed sum ass kickers inside hoo can protect the rim and board, hey?
Need a Pogo stick than create his own shot .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 08:35:40 AM »

Luckily positions are pretty fluid in college hoops for the 2-4 in a lot of cases. You do need to always have a guy that can handle the ball on the floor, and you typically need a guy that plays in the paint. Outside of those two roles, the rest can be pretty flexible. Seeing a lineup next year of PG, Markus, Sacar, Sam, and Morrow may become pretty common. If we don't land a PG, then you can add Joey or Heldt to that mix.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
Luckily positions are pretty fluid in college hoops for the 2-4 in a lot of cases. You do need to always have a guy that can handle the ball on the floor, and you typically need a guy that plays in the paint. Outside of those two roles, the rest can be pretty flexible. Seeing a lineup next year of PG, Markus, Sacar, Sam, and Morrow may become pretty common. If we don't land a PG, then you can add Joey or Heldt to that mix.
Very good points.  Just with the log jam that we're gonna have in the front court, throwing Sacar in as a forward seems excessive.  MU lists him as a G/F so I guess its fair, I've always just viewed him as a guard.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 08:45:31 AM »
Very good points.  Just with the log jam that we're gonna have in the front court, throwing Sacar in as a forward seems excessive.  MU lists him as a G/F so I guess its fair, I've always just viewed him as a guard.

I think he's capable of filling both roles. He can get to the rim, and his shot has improved a lot this year. He can definitely defend both spots. If he can work on his handles a little bit this summer and continue to improve his jumper, he's going to be a pretty complete play next year. I've always thought of him as a 2 guard too, but I think he's a typical switchable guy.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »
Along the lines of recruiting - does anyone know if we took a hit in being able to recruit guards when Diener left the coaching staff? I'm guessing that having a former NBA guard on staff could be a selling point for recruits, but I also don't know how involved he even was with recruiting.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
Along the lines of recruiting - does anyone know if we took a hit in being able to recruit guards when Diener left the coaching staff? I'm guessing that having a former NBA guard on staff could be a selling point for recruits, but I also don't know how involved he even was with recruiting.
Diener could not recruit as he was not one of the 3 main assistants.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 09:02:10 AM »
I am going to type something historic in the annals of scoop.    I agree with Chicos and Buzz.       Chicos, whom I tend to agree with on basketball matters, liked to point out that college basketball is a guards game.    I agree in principle, but would make some adjustments to that.    I think college basketball has become a big guards game.    Buzz wanted a PG, a big, and a bunch of switchables.    I agree with that, but I would mention that I would want the PG to have some size and the big to be able to shoot.   

We see other teams (all other teams, it seems sometimes) who have 6'6 guys who can handle and shoot from distance.  (guarded by 5'10 guys)  A big guard and a switchable, all at once.    What is Villanova except a really good PG, a bunch of SG's with size who can defend 4 positions, and a wide body stretch 4 who can shoot?     A guards game.   With switchables.     

Wojo has recruited size.    On paper, Marquette are going to be as tall as anyone next year.   But can that size move?    Can it attack off the dribble and get its own shot?    How many positions can that size guard?     How many mismatches will be created on defense?    To really play good defense, all 5 players have to play it, and they are going to have to be able to work through switches and be able to defend multiple players.   

Going forward, the recruiting emphasis needs to be guards with size.   Like Butler, Crowder, Blue, Hayward. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »
If they only bring in one guard they are an injury away from the season going down the drain.Mu needs two players that can handle the ball

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »
If they only bring in one guard they are an injury away from the season going down the drain.Mu needs two players that can handle the ball
Completely agree.    A graduate transfer PG and a 2018 PG who is willing to learn is the dream. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 10:52:18 AM »
Losing Rowsey is bigger than losing Luke this past year. Fischer got consistent crap for never meeting expectations but all year we lacked an inside presence on offense. Losing Andrew will be tough since he is clearly our best distributor and play maker. Markus is always going to be a shoot-first guard lacking size. Like Elliot and his grit but don't think he's the answer at point. MU desperately needs a couple of guys that can handle the ball and make plays for others. Getting a grad transfer PG will make or break next year's team, so I agree with you Aircraftcarrier.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 10:56:59 AM »
Wait, is this forum trending back to the 'switchables' when before it was 'we have no size and are just switchables'?  I see Sacar as a 2 guard myself.  I am extremely pleased with his progress as some had him transferring out after his red shirt year.  Tough as nails defender, good size/strength/body, shot improving, good driver and finisher.  Based on that I can only see him getting better.

I think it is a little premature to say Greg Elliot isn't a guard or can't handle guard duties.  Let us see him next year when he hopefully has two good hands that are 100% instead of a hand and a half.

Sam Hauser is a savvy ball handler that can assist.  His brother Joey has good handles and is tall enough to see over the top on pressure.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »
I agree that Rowsey is the best ball handler and distributor.  However, when the ball hit his hands it really seemed to stall the offense.  I thought without him the offense looked much better with improved motion, quicker passes and cutting.  When he got it I swear he must have held it 5 seconds every time to assess the situation.

I'm looking forward to next year an offense that is based more on quicker passes, quicker cuts, better motion, and more guys looking like they are involved.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
Sacar is a guard.

feedback