[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Expectations  (Read 17025 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Expectations
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
Cain has made six 3 pointers in his life and poses like he is Jordan. Flat out, he would get his ass chewed out and bench time if I were Wojo.

Huh?
Cain has made 23 three-pointers this season (on 50 attempts, a very good .460 pct.).
Fake news.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2018, 12:35:32 PM »
Cain has made six 3 pointers in his life and poses like he is Jordan. Flat out, he would get his ass chewed out and bench time if I were Wojo.

BTW, he went 23/50 on threes this year.  He had the second best percentage on the team behind Sam.

So let's not intentionally diminish his year because you are all fed up about how he poses after the shot.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
Pakuni

That was tongue in cheek. Maybe I was thinking about number of free throws he has made (a joke). Forb the record, he is not a three point shooter and NEVER should have hoisted 50, even if he made 48 of them. Would prefer to see him develop skills that match his skill set.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2018, 12:39:54 PM »
sultan

You and others know a great deal more than I do, but have you ever seen a "three point shooter" not be a "free throw shooter"?

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »
ellenson

The three freshmen were given a lot of opportunities to earn more playing time and build for the future. I remember the first Xavier game and saying to my wife, Cain making those three point shots was the worst thing that could happen to him. Highlight of his season was making several shots he should not have taken in the first place.

On that note, if I were Wojo, the next time Hauser, Cain or someone else sat in the Jordan pose after taking a three I would bench them for the game. I really like Hauser, but he has not followed a shot this season. Cain should be benched for taking the shot and benched for two games for the Jordan pose.

The X game at the BC is "the one that got away" to me. People say we should have beat DePaul, PC, St Johns etc. but we win this game, we're an 8 or 9 seed on Sunday.

We win that game if not for some really poor play design at the end...

Which of the 4 3s that Cain hit do you wish he pulled back?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
The X game at the BC is "the one that got away" to me. People say we should have beat DePaul, PC, St Johns etc. but we win this game, we're an 8 or 9 seed on Sunday.

We win that game if not for some really poor play design at the end...

Which of the 4 3s that Cain hit do you wish he pulled back?
Disappointing that we lost, but that game probably had the highest entertainment value of any we played this year.  Back and forth all game, one possession losses always hurt but any neutral basketball fan would have been very satisfied.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2018, 12:46:29 PM »
I don't think the three point shot should be a staple of Cain's game.  But 50 of them over the course of a season isn't really all that many.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »
Well good thing you aren't because you are overreacting a tad.

That's how everyone used to coach until not too long ago.  Take 'em out and give 'em an earful when they did something boneheaded or lazy while it was fresh in everyone's mind.  Then wait a little bit (length dependent on how good the kid is) and pat them on the back and put them back in.  At UConn Calhoun used to do this all the time.  But you did it in November and December so it generally is not an issue by now. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
DJOver

We agree!!!! The X game at home was very entertaining., a very fun college basketball game and environment.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2018, 12:52:01 PM »
I don't think the three point shot should be a staple of Cain's game.  But 50 of them over the course of a season isn't really all that many.

I do. If he plays 20-25 min/game next year he shoudl take 4+ IMHO. He has a nice shot and nice shot selction to go along with it. Let it fly when you feel it, gives the defense one more thing to worry about.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
DJOver

We agree!!!! The X game at home was very entertaining., a very fun college basketball game and environment.
Hey! We also agreed that Traci had a low ceiling and that it was best for him to move on, and that everyone need to follow their shots.
CU was always gonna have a great environment, same with Nova (depending on your opinion about the chants), but the X game was just a flat out great game to watch.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 12:55:06 PM »
ellenson

Cain has a nice shot? He cannot make a free throw. He missed two shots badly last night and thought both were going in. Secondly, if he plays 20-25 minutes next year, it is NIT again. Who is he going play over? No one graduated except the little guy. Is he going to play point?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 12:55:57 PM »
Having the ability to hit an outside shot is never a bad thing, but Cain is gonna make a living getting to the hole.  His athletic potential is too high not to.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »
ellenson

Cain has a nice shot? He cannot make a free throw. He missed two shots badly last night and thought both were going in. Secondly, if he plays 20-25 minutes next year, it is NIT again. Who is he going play over? No one graduated except the little guy. Is he going to play point?

Dude. He has hit 46% from 3 (57% in conference play I might add). As a skinny frosh. Once he puts on some muscle, using the 3 to pull out a defender will make it easier to blow by on the dribble and finish through contact in the lane. If he maintains 40%+, he should let it fly when open, otherwise he's doing himself and the team a disservice. And if we go more zone with added length next year, he's shown the ability to be very disruptive in those sets. Frankly, I'm confused by what you DON'T see in him.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
Having the ability to hit an outside shot is never a bad thing, but Cain is gonna make a living getting to the hole.  His athletic potential is too high not to.

To be good at it in this league, he needs to get a lot bigger, though. Right now, he can get bumped off his line too easily and can have issues finishing a drive because of his size. Add 20-30 pounds over the next few years, and he'll be a handful for defenders.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
brew

Traci left because he was not skilled enough to be a starting PG on BE program. He can spin it any way he wants, he was not a high level D1 PG. I respected his decision to leave the program and wished him well.

Disagree here Goose.  Traci made everyone around him better  His PT was wildly inconsistent.  Wojo vacillated between he and Cheatham.  Traci was the one junkyard dog Wojo has landed..though Sacar qualifies too.  Traci played with a lot of confidence and swagger too, great qualities to have in a PG.

I'd be shocked if Traci doesn't put up REALLY good numbers at LaSalle.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
Dude (ellenson)

I like Cain and think he will be an above average player moving forward. That said, I do not think being a three point shooter is in the cards for him. Manute Bol shot three pointers, did not mean it was a good idea. Cain has other skills to develop that would benefit him and the program in the long haul.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2018, 01:33:01 PM »
Which goes back to depth and options.   You chew out Cain and bench him.    And you put ? into the game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Dude (ellenson)

I like Cain and think he will be an above average player moving forward. That said, I do not think being a three point shooter is in the cards for him. Manute Bol shot three pointers, did not mean it was a good idea. Cain has other skills to develop that would benefit him and the program in the long haul.

There's a difference between shooting 3 pointers and making 3 pointers. Cain made 3 pointers. If you can make 3 pointers and do not shoot them, that's a terrible idea.

If he regresses as a shooter in the future, then yeah he will probably shoot less three pointers.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2018, 01:43:32 PM »
Eagle

See my post re: X game. Making the four against X was worst thing for his development this year. To boot, fans lacking ball knowledge, urged him to shot the three ball. He has far more upside in other area's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
Eagle

See my post re: X game. Making the four against X was worst thing for his development this year. To boot, fans lacking ball knowledge, urged him to shot the three ball. He has far more upside in other area's.

Basketball isn't a zero sum game.  You can score in more than one way. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2018, 01:53:17 PM »
sultan

Nick Foles caught a TD pass in the SB, should be utilized as WR? Believe what you want about players and skill sets. That said, do not be disappointed if your team teams do not live up to expectations.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:55:51 PM by Goose »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »
I think what Goose is getting at is that a year from now, the scouting report on Jamal should not read three point shooter.  Teams should not run him off the line the way they do Markus or Sam.  His scouting report should read slasher, finisher around the rim.  If he can hit a three as well, that's not a bad thing, but he should be living in the paint, because that's where his future lies and that's where he'll be most effective.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »
I think what Goose is getting at is that a year from now, the scouting report on Jamal should not read three point shooter.  Teams should not run him off the line the way they do Markus or Sam.  His scouting report should read slasher, finisher around the rim.  If he can hit a three as well, that's not a bad thing, but he should be living in the paint, because that's where his future lies and that's where he'll be most effective.

And that I agree with.  It shouldn't be his primary game.

sultan

Nick Foles caught a TD pass in the SB, should be utilized as WR? Believe what you want about players and skill sets. That said, do not be disappointed if your team teams do not live up to expectations.

First, that is a terrible analogy.  Football positions are nothing like basketball.

Second, he didn't just hit one three pointer.  He hit 23 of them at a 46% clip.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »
On the contrary, I want every player on the roster to have scouting report that says "solid three point shooter" among other things, 1 through 5.

Imagine the possibilities.