Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NIT . . . too early?  (Read 18018 times)

warriorfred

• All American
Re: NIT . . . too early?
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »
If we don’t get into the tournament, I think it will be due to our lack of a signature win. It won’t be due to the DePaul loss.

I sort of agree.  A signature win and the DePaul loss, and we're in.  A win against DePaul, and we are still a bubble team, but we would have reason to complain if left out of the Tournament. 

At this moment, I have no reason to complain if Marquette doesn't make the Tournament.

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 08:44:19 PM »
If we don’t get into the tournament, I think it will be due to our lack of a signature win. It won’t be due to the DePaul loss.

Had quite a few chances. What... 6 of our losses have come to top 10-12 teams? 5 being in the top 3. Guess it doesn’t matter if they didn’t win.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
Oh. Dayton doesn't count.

I asked Google Home if the game in Dayton were part of the NCAA tournament. She said yes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
My expectations for Marquette basketball in 2018-19: Top four in conference.  Five seed in NCAA.

That's fine Sultan, but if those expectations don't happen, what will your excuse be then?? There will be one, no doubt(an inury, whatever it is), you will just keep saying "next year".
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 08:49:41 PM »
I can accept the NIT this year.  But my expectations for 2018/2019 dramatically change:

-  Top 25 ranking for a few weeks (in and out of the Top 25)
-  First round bye in the BET
-  Solidly in the NCAA tournament (4-7 seed)
-  First round win in the NCAA Tournament.

I will accept a nail-biter loss in the first round of the Tournament (I'm magnanimous).

As for "watered-down expectations," anything less will be a grave disappointment.  Year 5 and millions spent; I expect a return on that investment.

This seems reasonable. What's it doing on Scoop!?!

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »
I either drank too much or too little.  I'll find out in the morning.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »
That's fine Sultan, but if those expectations don't happen, what will your excuse be then?? There will be one, no doubt(an inury, whatever it is), you will just keep saying "next year".

There have been no excuses thus far. We just looked at the same team preseason and came to different conclusions about what they were capable of. Personally, my expectations matched up with all the expectations of the various professionals who analyze college basketball for a living.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »
I asked Google Home if the game in Dayton were part of the NCAA tournament. She said yes.

Go ask fans from any team in a major conference, if they want their team in dayton?? See what their answers are...most will tell you, it's like not even being in the tournament...if you win, fine, but if you lose..it's not. Heck, go read the Louisville board...more than a few posters there say they'd rather win the NIT than play in Dayton..Just the way it is. I can't believe anyone would be HAPPY with Dayton.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
Yeti

I have zero idea what the hell your point is. Of course we are all fans of MU ball. My point is simple, a group on here has been very bullish on next year and I have not been. I have stated many times over, I hope the program bulls are right. IMO, we see the same results next season as we did this year, a bubble team from a watered down BE.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
Go ask fans from any team in a major conference, if they want their team in dayton?? See what their answers are...most will tell you, it's like not even being in the tournament...if you win, fine, but if you lose..it's not. Heck, go read the Louisville board...more than a few posters there say they'd rather win the NIT than play in Dayton..Just the way it is. I can't believe anyone would be HAPPY with Dayton.

No offense, but the Louisville fan base doesn't exactly scream intelligent. A lot of them still think Patino was clean
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 08:54:22 PM »
That's because Louisville needs a banner to replace the one the strippers took away.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »

I will take Dayton, AND A WIN, almost any year.  Of course, I will also settle for #1 seed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »
Go ask fans from any team in a major conference, if they want their team in dayton?? See what their answers are...most will tell you, it's like not even being in the tournament...if you win, fine, but if you lose..it's not. Heck, go read the Louisville board...more than a few posters there say they'd rather win the NIT than play in Dayton..Just the way it is. I can't velieve anyone would be HAPPY with Dayton.

In a vacuum? No I'm not happy with Dayton. When I take into account the roster we came in with? I am happy. Making it to Dayton was exactly what I expected this year. Don't believe me?

https://painttouches.com/2017/08/16/way-too-early-bracketology-summer-2017/

Yeeesh, some of those picks did not age well. But the MU one was right on!
TAMU

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2018, 08:58:47 PM »
Flip a coin, I think we did enough to be in but won’t be surprised at all if we don’t get called and oh yeah, guru is a whiny little b**ch.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
Yeti

I have zero idea what the hell your point is. Of course we are all fans of MU ball. My point is simple, a group on here has been very bullish on next year and I have not been. I have stated many times over, I hope the program bulls are right. IMO, we see the same results next season as we did this year, a bubble team from a watered down BE.

You hit the nail on the head Goose...next year their expectations are all high...well yeah, when the Big east will probably be as down as it has been since it's inception. How about being competitive or finishing top half when the Big East is at it's best?? It's funny, because so many here would talk about how Wisconsin took advantage of a bad B10 for so many years(which is true, they did), but now, when MU finishes top 3 next year, it will be a GREAT accomplishment, and they can all pound their chests about how they were right..sure, they were, but if someone points out that the Big East was down, it won't matter to them, because MU finished where they predicted them too, so that makes it a great accomplishment in year freaking 5 of Wojo!

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »
Looked at the Team Sheets for RPI 40-75. MU is in as long as there aren’t a lot of conf bid stealers. And they are getting fewer and fewer.

I think we’re in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2018, 09:02:08 PM »
Mmmmk...and I'm supposed to listen to someone half my age tell me what i am right and wrong about??

You don't think you can learn anything from someone half your age? 

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2018, 09:02:11 PM »

If you play in Dayton you're in the tournament. You have worse odds to get a Sweet 16 banner but you at least have a shot. If you're in the NIT you have a 0.0% chance. It's that simple.

The reality is we have about a 50% chance to make the tournament, so your proclamation that the season was over once we lost to DePaul is just dumb.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »

Lol. You don't want MU in the NCAA tournament. Wow.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Guru

Truthfully, it is a losing battle discussing program progress with folks hoping for Dayton play in game. I am not certain that the team next year will benefit a great deal from a weak BE. At this point I think they end up with 1-2 additional conference wins, at best. Loss of Rowsey will hurt more than many realize today.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:28 PM »
...well yeah, when the Big east will probably be as down as it has been since it's inception.
Not sure that is true. Year two. 60% in the tournament. Year 3. National Title. Year 4, 70% in the tournament. Highest in college basketball.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »
I’d love to see the warriors in for this year, but also wouldn’t mind the NIT.   We should make a deep run in the NIT and even have a good chance of winning it.   That would be great experience for the whole team and for the fan base.

I never liked the play in games, so yes I’d rather go to NIT than Dayton.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
Guru

Truthfully, it is a losing battle discussing program progress with folks hoping for Dayton play in game. I am not certain that the team next year will benefit a great deal from a weak BE. At this point I think they end up with 1-2 additional conference wins, at best. Loss of Rowsey will hurt more than many realize today.

What does this even mean? Who is hoping for Dayton? I want MU to be in the NCAA this season. Dayton or otherwise.

I would expect any MU fan would want the same, at this point in the season.

Am I missing something?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
I’d love to see the warriors in for this year, but also wouldn’t mind the NIT.   We should make a deep run in the NIT and even have a good chance of winning it.   That would be great experience for the whole team and for the fan base.

I never liked the play in games, so yes I’d rather go to NIT than Dayton.

You just won this thread!

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
Yeti

Firstly, you have no reason encouraging a troll that has hijacked all of the threads - the board was more about muguru tonight than it was the actual game that was played.

Further, you are welcome to your opinion, but to reiterate I don't think there is a "group" on here at all pushing an agenda.

Further even (to debate on the actual points), I'm personally not sure how you are bearish on next season, or whether you are just bearish on all things in general. We do not currently have a primary ball-handler and therefore (even just based on that) a lot is still up in the air.