[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NIT . . . too early?  (Read 18144 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: NIT . . . too early?
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2018, 08:10:11 PM »
DJO

I hope you experience a real big win in your lifetime. If you do,you will know the difference.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
DJO

I hope you experience a real big win in your lifetime. If you do,you will know the difference.
I'd like to think thay I've done ok so far. Got a ways to go, but appreciate the good wishes.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
Nothing better than "remember the good old days" guys yucking it up about how they are much better fans than the rest of us.

Holding poses is bad. Shooting 3s is bad. Need to go to the bench for not following their shot.

Etc etc etc

Probably don't think advanced stats mean anything and hate that golden state is an amazing NBA team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2018, 08:37:43 PM »
Some solid goal post shifting.  A 7 seed is now considered a "high seed."  Got it.  Think most would disagree.  A high seed to me is a 3 or 4.

No goal post shiftting at all. You misinterpreted what I said. To prove it here is a post of my expectations from before the golden power point post

Let me be as clear as I can. My expectations for Wojo next season are that we are "comfortably" in the tournament. Let's call that a top 7 seed. If they do not achieve this, Wojo will not have met my expectations for the first season and I will be concerned.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
No goal post shiftting at all. You misinterpreted what I said. To prove it here is a post of my expectations from before the golden power point post

Guess where you lost me was on the golden power point comment that the expectation was a "high seed" in Year 5.  A 7 seed, IMO is not a high seed.  It is solidly in the tournament, but, NOT a high seed.  Basically a coin flip game in the first round. 

Oh well.  I'd be pleased with a 7 seed next year.  I can live with our program being a consistent NCAA tournament team, with occasional breakthroughs to Sweet 16 say every 3 years.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2018, 03:21:06 AM »
Jesmu

I have said many times on here, the young guns on here are far better fans than I am at this point in my life.

I have said in last 24 hours that I am 1000% in on having three point shooters. Simply stated that some me guys are not three point shooters. IMO, regardless of this year’s stats, Cain is not one of them. Shooters know if a shot is going in the second it leaves their hands. Cain misses shots badly and is still hoping it goes in. He simply, flat out is not a shooter.

My suggestion to you, try and become a shooter and not Cain. Before you post what you think an old Fock is saying, read their posts first.

For the record, I love the GS Warriors and everything about their style.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
I finally just read through this entire thing over the last 20 minutes or so. My son is getting married tonight, so I have been busy as heck, but I thought I'd take a break from the craziness to read a little Scoop ...

In short, a lot about this thread made me a little sad.

We had factions, tribes, people taking personal shots, "you guys," people talking over each other without listening, etc. It was almost like reading the politics board again.

I am going to try to avoid doing any of that while discussing some of the points herein. (Hopefully I'll succeed.) Disclosure: Just about everything that follows is IMHO.

1. Dayton games obviously are part of the NCAA tournament. Shaka Smart's entire reputation was shaped in 2011, when VCU barely squeaked into the tournament, won in Dayton, and then won 4 more games - including the stunner against Kansas to reach the Final Four. It's easy to say now, "Yeah, but does anybody here think this MU team is capable of doing that?" OK, but did anybody back in 2011 think that VCU team was capable of doing that? It's the NCAA tournament. You want to get in. Period.

2. I have never liked an argument that includes a line like, "Take away that win against Villanova and we've accomplished nothing," or "Take away Barry Sanders' three 60-yard runs and the defense did well." You can't take away the Nova win. You can't take away the Sanders runs. Nova was a great win. I'm not sure why anybody would want to take it away or to make it "count less." In the past, I was never a big fan of storming the court, but it was fun watching the students do that.

3. Also, to say that was the only big win Wojo has had is not fair. The win over Nova was preceded by a road victory at No. 7 Creighton. That seems like a pretty important  win to me. Another over Creighton and 2 over Xavier later in the year. Even the Brooklyn tournament and the win at Kohl during Henry's year ... they were pretty big at the time.

4. I'd much rather be great all season and have no sweat on Selection Sunday. But getting one of the last bids ... isn't that exactly what the 1977 Warriors did? Should they have been embarrassed to accept the bid?

5. Sacar is a role player and will continue to be so. Sam isn't, at least not by the way I define role players; I still think Sam will play in the NBA. Jury is still out on this year's freshmen. My gut tells me that Theo will be a role player his entire 4 years and the other 2 probably will be, too. Cain is especially intriguing, though.

6. If we get a competent PG and if we don't have some unforeseen departures of players, I am extremely high on next season. Ranked most of the year, top-5 NCAA seed, etc.

7. So unfair and silly to pre-dismiss any accomplishments of next year's team because the Big East might not be as strong. You play the schedule you have. You play in the league you're in. I mean, the BE was very strong last season. Does that mean Wojo gets extra points for making the NCAAs?

8. I learn a ton from people younger than I am just about every day. I also learn a ton from people older than I am all the time. I am the parent of two Millennials. They are amazing people, and it would pretty offensive to summarily dismiss their ideas because they are a part of an age group some don't respect.

Gotta go get ready for a Millennial wedding, so chat with y'all more in the future.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
I finally just read through this entire thing over the last 20 minutes or so. My son is getting married tonight, so I have been busy as heck, but I thought I'd take a break from the craziness to read a little Scoop ...

Congratulations but I have to say that last sentence had me LOL!

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2018, 02:40:21 PM »
MU82,

That was great summary of this thread.  It's interesting how these threads take on a life of their own.  When I started this thread, the Warriors were getting pounded by Villanova, and I was trying to reconcile myself to a NIT bid.

-  Did the season meet my expectations?
(Yes, if the Warriors squeak into the NCAA Tournament.)
-  Are the Warriors where I thought they would be in year 4 of the Wojo era? 
(Yes, if the Warriors squeak into the NCAA Tournament.)
-  Is there upside in 2018/2019, or have the Warriors plateaued under Wojo? 
(Undecided - but interesting discussions.)

As I get older, I've learned to accept the well-reasoned (non-emotional) thoughts of others.  I appreciate the input.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
Congrats 82. Best wishes to the happy couple.  I hope there is enough Milllennial Toast on hand.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
Congrats MU82.  Well done.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »
Thanks MU82, especially since I didn't want to have to read the first seven pages of this thread.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2018, 04:36:59 PM »
Mu has announced that if we end up in the NIT (which we won't cause we are definitely getting a NCAA bid).

We would host the games at the Al

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »
Mu has announced that if we end up in the NIT (which we won't cause we are definitely getting a NCAA bid).

We would host the games at the Al

Women are having a NCAA viewing party.  Men's will be private.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:00:09 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2018, 05:00:55 PM »
Jesmu

I have said many times on here, the young guns on here are far better fans than I am at this point in my life.

I have said in last 24 hours that I am 1000% in on having three point shooters. Simply stated that some me guys are not three point shooters. IMO, regardless of this year’s stats, Cain is not one of them. Shooters know if a shot is going in the second it leaves their hands. Cain misses shots badly and is still hoping it goes in. He simply, flat out is not a shooter.

My suggestion to you, try and become a shooter and not Cain. Before you post what you think an old Fock is saying, read their posts first.

For the record, I love the GS Warriors and everything about their style.

Jamal Cain shot 46% from 3 this year. Limited attempts, sure. But plenty to be worth noting. Pretty impressive for a freshman.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
Congrats, MU82. I hope your son and his wife have a long and happy marriage!!!

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »

To escape craziness you read scoop? I read it when I’m looking for craziness.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2018, 06:22:30 AM »
To escape craziness you read scoop? I read it when I’m looking for craziness.

Well, there are all different kinds of craziness!

There's nothing kind of like wedding craziness, especially when one is a parent of the groom or the bride.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback