collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tubby Smith on Transfers  (Read 1890 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Tubby Smith on Transfers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
Quote from: Matt Jones KY Sports Radio
I love Tubby...but he has coached at 6 schools and quit 4 of them for another job.  Tubby is a great man but coaches sure love to hold players to a double standard they don't hold to themselves.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »
I agree there is hypocrisy.    That has been obvious for quite a while.    I just found the 800 number amazing.    More than 2 transfers per D1 school.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 09:37:13 AM »
I don't have a problem with all the transfers.
Kids want to get on the court, and if their path to playing time is blocked at one school, I don't see why it's unreasonable to try elsewhere. If that's inconvenient for the coaches and programs who benefit from the kids' cheap labor, tough.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
I don't have a problem with all the transfers.
Kids want to get on the court, and if their path to playing time is blocked at one school, I don't see why it's unreasonable to try elsewhere. If that's inconvenient for the coaches and programs who benefit from the kids' cheap labor, tough.

100% correct ... it is about finding the right spot.

If anything, they should consider easing rule of sitting out a year.  If someone wants to transfer to a "lesser" program, Like Cohen to Green Bay or Hannif to FGGU, they should be immediately eligible.  Rowsey coming from Asheville to MU would have to sit a year, ditto Froling from SMU to MU.

As I understand it, the sitting a year rule is intended to stop players from being recruited by other equal or higher schools.  So a Kentucky (to pick a name) cannot recruit from other top programs to get their players to transfer to them.  But what we are seeing in the vast majority of these 800 transfers is role payers going to lesser programs to get more playing time.  They should not have to sit a year.

That said, how do you define a "lesser program" is difficult.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
100% correct ... it is about finding the right spot.

If anything, they should consider easing rule of sitting out a year.  If someone wants to transfer to a "lesser" program, Like Cohen to Green Bay or Hannif to FGGU, they should be immediately eligible.  Rowsey coming from Asheville to MU would have to sit a year, ditto Froling from SMU to MU.

As I understand it, the sitting a year rule is intended to stop players from being recruited by other equal or higher schools.  So a Kentucky (to pick a name) cannot recruit from other top programs to get their players to transfer to them.  But what we are seeing in the vast majority of these 800 transfers is role payers going to lesser programs to get more playing time.  They should not have to sit a year.

That said, how do you define a "lesser program" is difficult.

This could be a boon to the Big Teen, if what Tuggles is promoting comes to be.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »
I agree with Stan Van Gundy: All transfers should be eligible immediately.

Oh, and he specifically called out the hypocrisy of coaches who move around with total freedom even as they happily prevent players from doing so.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »

Oh, and he specifically called out the hypocrisy of coaches who move around with total freedom even as they happily prevent players from doing so.

So what's to stop a program from stop recruiting HS players preferring to troll other teams for talent. 

I can imagine the day when Calipari is in the line to shake hands at the end of the game and hands the other teams best player an envelope. ("that is none of your business, it is between him and me.")

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
So what's to stop a program from stop recruiting HS players preferring to troll other teams for talent. 

I can imagine the day when Calipari is in the line to shake hands at the end of the game and hands the other teams best player an envelope. ("that is none of your business, it is between him and me.")

The NCAA has rules against tampering.
How and whether they enforce those rules, is anybody's guess, but rules already exist to penalize programs from doing what you suggest.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »

I think that can be a slippery slope. I don't think any mid-season transfer should ever be immediately eligible. That puts too big of a burden on the rest of the team. Plus, I don't think you want to allow a kid to transfer each year (hypothetically) and just bounce around for 4-5 years.

Maybe allowing one non-mid-season transfer without having to sit a year would be a good idea. I'm pretty sure the NCAA already allows transfers for sports outside of basketball and football. Just make the rules the same for all sports.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 05:57:47 PM »

Awful idea.

Hey. Let's ban birds from flying. It's not fair they fly and humans (most) can't.

Let's not allow cars on freeways. If bicycles aren't allowed on the freeway, this is totally unfair!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
You can't just have kids transfers without sitting out. Rosters would be so broken. Some schools would look like SMU football after the death penalty.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »
This could be a boon to the Big Teen, if what Tuggles is promoting comes to be.

Agreed, it would be helpful to mid-majors like UW, to be able to get transfers from conferences like the BE and have them be immediately eligible. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
Awful idea.

Hey. Let's ban birds from flying. It's not fair they fly and humans (most) can't.

Let's not allow cars on freeways. If bicycles aren't allowed on the freeway, this is totally unfair!

Outstanding goalpost-shifting and red herrings. You're getting your game ready for the tournament, that's for sure!

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 11:37:35 PM »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 11:16:09 AM »
Penny was my son's favorite player as a kid when he (Penny, not my son) was a young Orlando Magician on the rise.

feedback