[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can Wojo finally...  (Read 17492 times)

goldeneagle91114

• All American
Can Wojo finally...
« on: March 04, 2018, 08:07:13 PM »
Can Wojo finally...win 3 conference games in a row? remember, he has not done it yet, and DePual ruined our last chance in Chicago. I hope wojo has his team ready.

Daniel

• All American
Re: Can Wojo finally...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
It is our time.  Go Marquette!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 08:36:02 PM »
And should a Wednesday game at the BET count?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:24:17 AM »
Winning streaks no matta.

You play each individual game, and try to win each individual game.

We got this!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »

We got this!

Just win, Baby (Brew)!

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:53:01 AM »
Can someone find a stat on how many teams in the big east have won 3 in a row? Besides Butler, Xavier or Nova I'd like to know how many times Creighton, Providence & Seton Hall have accomplished this. 10-8 last year and 9-9 this year is solid, the cupboard was bare when he arrived. I do expect more considering the amount of resources invested into Marquette Basketball, but it's a tough conference from top to bottom.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:12:31 AM »
Can someone find a stat on how many teams in the big east have won 3 in a row? Besides Butler, Xavier or Nova I'd like to know how many times Creighton, Providence & Seton Hall have accomplished this. 10-8 last year and 9-9 this year is solid, the cupboard was bare when he arrived. I do expect more considering the amount of resources invested into Marquette Basketball, but it's a tough conference from top to bottom.

This year, every BE team has done it except Georgetown, DePaul and Marquette.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
This year, every BE team has done it except Georgetown, DePaul and Marquette.

Well then, that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that St. John's had a better season than we did.

And also that we sucked last season.

Because 3-game winning streaks ... I mean, what could possibly matter more than those ... except maybe FT percentage?!?!?!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:20:31 AM »
Well then, that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that St. John's had a better season than we did.

And also that we sucked last season.

Because 3-game winning streaks ... I mean, what could possibly matter more than those ... except maybe FT percentage?!?!?!

Obviously it doesn't say anything about the season on the whole, but it is a fairly low bar to set for consistency. The fact that we still haven't won 3 in a row in the Wojo era may not mean anything in the long run, but it sure is frustrating.

I'd just about bet the farm that we reach this milestone on Wednesday, though, and Wojo can finally have the monkey off his back.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
The never winning 3 in a row thing I guess is annoying? But it's not a big deal...
You can go 12-6 in the BEast every year and never win 3 in a row. 2-1 every three games would be fine with me. So who cares. If we won 5 straight then lost 13... atleast we won 3 straight or more!!!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
Wojo's won 4 of 5 a couple times. Not winning 3 in a row is kind of a fluky coincidence.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
Wojo's won 4 of 5 a couple times. Not winning 3 in a row is kind of a fluky coincidence.

Since Wojo has been at MU, Marquette is the only BE team who has NOT won three BE games in a row.  Even DePaul has accomplished this historic feat.

#justwinbaby

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 10:44:49 AM »
Obviously it doesn't say anything about the season on the whole, but it is a fairly low bar to set for consistency. The fact that we still haven't won 3 in a row in the Wojo era may not mean anything in the long run, but it sure is frustrating.

I'd just about bet the farm that we reach this milestone on Wednesday, though, and Wojo can finally have the monkey off his back.

Bingo. The point is just not the arbitrary winning three in a row milestone, it is about putting together a run. Having some sustained success against conference foes and quality opponents.

We are nearing the end of Wojo's fourth year, it has yet to occur. That's troubling to me. Outside of his first year, its been start/stop, start/stop the past three seasons. And, the opportunities have been there. The end of last year was a perfect example. That team went into the BET playing its best basketball, but was a no-show in NYC and was no-match for South Carolina.

Right now, MU has won 4 out of the last 5, but of course, that one loss is a soul-crushing defeat to hapless DePaul. That's just how the Wojo era has gone so far. In my eyes, this a big week for Wojo. Here's another opportunity to put together a run, with a big prize on the line.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »

#FakeNews  -  This whole empty cupboard nonsense has to stop.

And as you learned below, every team has won three conference games in a row (including DePaul) since Wojo arrived. 

Nothing wrong with being supportive of our coach, but let's not make things up and try to rationalize/excuse the very mediocre performance thus far.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »

And as you learned below, every team has won three conference games in a row (including DePaul) since Wojo arrived. 

Nothing wrong with being supportive of our coach, but let's not make things up and try to rationalize/excuse the very mediocre performance thus far.

Find me a team that missed the NIT,  lost 6/7 of its top players (by mpg), it's coach,  and all but one of its incoming recruits and made the NCAA within 2 years. Bonus points if the one returning player was the same caliber as Derrick Wilson.

If you saw that on any other roster you would say the cupboard was barren.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »

Your weird obsession with the high school rankings of some of those players has to stop as well. There was no legitimate returning production. The players you're obsessing over did not pan out, like many of the top 100 guys Buzz brought in. Or are you gonna tell me we had deep bench talent when Erik Williams and Jamail Jones were on the team as well?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 11:18:40 AM »
Find me a team that missed the NIT,  lost 6/7 of its top players (by mpg), it's coach,  and all but one of its incoming recruits and made the NCAA within 2 years. Bonus points if the one returning player was the same caliber as Derrick Wilson.

If you saw that on any other roster you would say the cupboard was barren.

Ugh.  Again?  It was a very talented roster inherited that included:  Deonte Burton, Todd Mayo, Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson, Duane Wilson, Luke Fischer, JuJuan Johnson, and John Dawson.  Absolutely NO way to win with that empty cupboard, sh$thole of a Top 100/Top 50 recruit cupboard.  All of Deonte, Steve, Luke, JJJ, Duane, Dawson went on to have solid careers.   Wojo chose to kick Mayo off the team - his prerogative.  Buzz was able to make it work for 3 years with Todd.

Now, you know how I feel about Derrick:  No teams stands a snow balls chance in hell of winning if you choose to play Derrick Wilson as your PG for 35 minutes per game - but that was Wojo's choice...he had both Duane and Carlino at his disposal.  Buzz doing it the year prior was his big F-You to admin on the way out the door - granted Dawson wasn't as good of option as having Duane or Carlino.  Anybody with a fleck of intuition could see Buzz was clearly off and checked out his last year at MU.  And sure as sh$t, 4-days after the season was over he inked the deal to go to VaTech. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Sorry but the team was sorely lacking in high-end talent when Wojo came on board.  To say otherwise is just not true.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
Ugh.  Again?  It was a very talented roster inherited that included:  Deonte Burton, Todd Mayo, Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson, Duane Wilson, Luke Fischer, JuJuan Johnson, and John Dawson.  Absolutely NO way to win with that empty cupboard, sh$thole of a Top 100/Top 50 recruit cupboard.  All of Deonte, Steve, Luke, JJJ, Duane, Dawson went on to have solid careers.   Wojo chose to kick Mayo off the team - his prerogative.  Buzz was able to make it work for 3 years with Todd.

Now, you know how I feel about Derrick:  No teams stands a snow balls chance in hell of winning if you choose to play Derrick Wilson as your PG for 35 minutes per game - but that was Wojo's choice...he had both Duane and Carlino at his disposal.  Buzz doing it the year prior was his big F-You to admin on the way out the door - granted Dawson wasn't as good of option as having Duane or Carlino.  Anybody with a fleck of intuition could see Buzz was clearly off and checked out his last year at MU.  And sure as sh$t, 4-days after the season was over he inked the deal to go to VaTech.

I find it unceasingly humorous that you continue to shred Derrick Wilson and laud John Dawson, despite the former being a far better player in the Big East than the latter was in the Big South.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »

Key word is they went on to have solid careers. They weren't seniors and juniors which is when most players with those rankings hit their stride.

Mayo: Head case who didn't deserve to be at MU to begin with.

Burton: Had a red shirt year before he put it together

Taylor: Red shirt year before he put it together at a mid major

Luke: not available till mid season and had a shoulder injury

Dawson: averaged 8.5 and 3 as a senior in a horrendous conference. Seriously considering that solid?

Starting to see how it took them years of development? It's not like they were seniors that year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »

Oh good...this stupid ass debate yet again.  Might as well just have at it and get yet another banning over with.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »

We got this!
The no matta fad jumped the shark long ago. This might be the best example. *waits for wins no matta post at some point in the future*
No Finish Line

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
Oh good...this stupid ass debate yet again.  Might as well just have at it and get yet another banning over with.

Yep - Takes two sides for any debate, right ATL?  But, all my bad.  It is simply a dumb comment to say Wojo walked into an empty cupboard and trainwreck of a program.

I find it unceasingly humorous that you continue to shred Derrick Wilson and laud John Dawson, despite the former being a far better player in the Big East than the latter was in the Big South.

LOL.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »

Dawson was a good kid, but seriously.

As a senior, John Dawson shot 38.7% and had a 2.7/2.0 (1.35/1) assist/TO ratio.

As a senior, Derrick Wilson shot 41.2% and had a 4.7/1.6 (2.94/1)assist/TO ratio.

And Derrick played against MUCH better competition.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
Dawson was a good kid, but seriously.

As a senior, John Dawson shot 38.7% and had a 2.7/2.0 (1.35/1) assist/TO ratio.

As a senior, Derrick Wilson shot 41.2% and had a 4.7/1.6 (2.94/1)assist/TO ratio.

And Derrick played against MUCH better competition.

I understand your position.  Here is what you aren't taking into consideration:

Dawson is playing in the NBA G-League, which, if you look at rosters are filled with guys who were all very good college players.

Dawson arrived at Liberty while they were rated 333 the year before he became eligible.  They improved to 279 his Junior year.  211 his Senior Year.

Teams played largely a Box and 1 defense on Dawson as a senior, as he was the focal point of the team as a Junior and had a strong Junior year.

Junior year stats:  26% Usage.  55% eFG.  20% DRebound Rate.  25.9 Assist RAte.  One negative:  24.9% TO Rate.

The team's record with Derrick at the helm speaks for itself.  Great kid.  Hard worker.  Kind of kid you'd want to date your daughter.  BUT.  He was brutal as a 35 minute per game PG.

I'll stop here, and won't further engage on the topic as I know some here get frustrated/maddened.  I firmly believe, however, it is a great misrepresentation to suggest Wojo walked into an empty cupboard and trainwreck of a program.

feedback