Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: For everyone who is giving Wojo credit...  (Read 7942 times)

denverMU

• All American
For everyone who is giving Wojo credit...
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
for this win, you need to admit that if MH wasn't injured and Rowsey didn't pick up his 3rd foul, Wojo would have played mostly M2M in the second half. We would have lost if we didn't play zone the entire second half.  Wojo was forced to play zone.  Just look at the St. John's game, we played zone a total of 10 possessions and M2M the rest and Ponds went off for 47. Lastly, I want Wojo to be our coach but he needs to couch to the team he has not stubbornly play M2M with this group of players.  We should play zone the vast majority of the rest of this season.

bilsu

• All American
Re: For everyone who is giving Wojo credit...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »
He still made the decision to switch to the zone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:25:23 AM »
He only makes the easy coaching decisions.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
Im sorry... But Im sick of all of the WHAT IF's ....If it fits for you it means it would have happened.  But the fact is what happened in the game, really happened, for whatever reason.  WHAT  IF, CU would've shot 40%  in the 1st half, not 70% for 2's and 60% for 3's???  What if the refs would have called traveling on Hegner when he travels, ) almost every time in the lane) or 3 sec..??  What IF the refs actually called the game evenly or more importantly, correctly??  What IF CU didn't have and make all those FT's??   I can make any WHAT IF I want to fit to make my case..  The fact is, what happened , happened,.. MU Adjusted better..  Comment on what happened , not What IF..  OK   End of rant ! ! ! 8-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:32:13 AM by guzica »

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
He still made the decision to switch to the zone.
Ok, let's see what decision he makes in the St. John's game.  No way we should play them M2M.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
Im sorry... But Im sick of all of the WHAT IF's ....If it fits for you it means it would have happened.  But the fact is what happened in the game, really happened, for whatever reason.  WHAT  IF, CU would've shot 40%  in the 1st half, not 70% for 2's and 60% for 3's???  What if the refs would have called traveling on Hegner when he travels, ) almost every time in the lane) or 3 sec..??  What IF the refs actually called the game evenly??  What IF CU didn't have and make all those FT's??   I can make any WHAT IF I want to fit to make my case..  The fact is, what happened , happened,.. MU Adjusted better..  Comment on what happened , not What IF..  OK   End of rant ! ! ! 8-)
Fine, look what happened in the St. John's game.  We got killed when we played M2M.  We played zone on 10 possessions and M2M on 57 possessions. In the second half we played 5 possessions of zone and 27 M2M and Ponds scored 47.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 11:44:33 AM »
I guess I wasn't clear enuf on my rant....... I was just venting, about when people say WHAT IF.... The fact is it didn't happen.. WHAT IF is just a guess/ opinion.... No-one  knows what would have happened IF Markus didn't get hurt, or if CU didn't hit the shots in the 1st half,  etc......Maybe Wojo would've went Zone in 2nd half....  Just a guess..  Thats my rant...  Comment on What REALLY happened...NOT What IF ...  OK ??  Im off my soapbox again.. 8-)

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:09 AM »
I think it’s a fair criticism. Why did it take M2N getting hurt for Wojo to only play one of AR or Markus at a time? And why did it take that injury for Wojo to see this D needs to play more zone? I honestly think we could have 2-3 more wins this year if we’d seen more zone.
No Finish Line

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
Fine, look what happened in the St. John's game.  We got killed when we played M2M.  We played zone on 10 possessions and M2M on 57 possessions. In the second half we played 5 possessions of zone and 27 M2M and Ponds scored 47.

We got killed in zone against SJU. Baskets 4 possesions in a row. Switched back to man.

Zone is more effective with only 1 of Howard/Rowsey in.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »

Bingo!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
I think it’s a fair criticism. Why did it take M2N getting hurt for Wojo to only play one of AR or Markus at a time? And why did it take that injury for Wojo to see this D needs to play more zone? I honestly think we could have 2-3 more wins this year if we’d seen more zone.

Simple, Sacar wasn't playing this well. 

Taking M2N or Rowsey off the floor left only two players that the opposing team needed to guard. 

Really hard to score in that type of setup.  Earlier in the year when we were forced into such situations, we went on massive scoring droughts. 

With Sacar playing like a different person, and Cain/Elliott now making 3's, it is easier to go with only one of Rowser/M2N. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »
Simple, Sacar wasn't playing this well. 

Taking M2N or Rowsey off the floor left only two players that the opposing team needed to guard. 

Really hard to score in that type of setup.  Earlier in the year when we were forced into such situations, we went on massive scoring droughts. 

With Sacar playing like a different person, and Cain/Elliott now making 3's, it is easier to go with only one of Rowser/M2N.
Sacar has been playing well for a decent stretch now. He was also given his biggest opportunity to have an impact last night
No Finish Line

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
The 2-3 zone was a look our opponents wouldn’t have prepared for against a team with no inside presence and a team that missed shots. If it works that well going forward should we play it? Of course. Will it work that well going forward? My guess is St. John’s is spending a lot of time preparing for it and watching video on it. My guess is they’ll put someone who can hit a 15 footer in the middle of the zone as we conceded that pass and shot.

Maybe some people are right and Wojo is totally clueless and he can only make decisions when he has no other option. Or maybe he’s working with the team every day and knows what he has and has a better idea of what will be successful and what won’t. I’m guessing it’s the latter, but hey, maybe some Scoopers really would be better on the sidelines than Wojo is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:11:23 PM »

The 2-3 zone was a look our opponents wouldn’t have prepared for against a team with no inside presence and a team that missed shots. If it works that well going forward should we play it? Of course. Will it work that well going forward? My guess is St. John’s is spending a lot of time preparing for it and watching video on it. My guess is they’ll put someone who can hit a 15 footer in the middle of the zone as we conceded that pass and shot.

Absolutely. Creighton was clearly surprised and did not adjust well. Now that it worked so well last night, St. John’s and others will likely be preparing to play against zone. We will see how it works then. Fingers crossed 🤞

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »
Sacar has been playing well for a decent stretch now. He was also given his biggest opportunity to have an impact last night

He's been inconsistent, and is often in significant foul trouble. 

Look at Providence for why we weren't playing only 1 of them.  Rowsey sat due to poor play and foul trouble.  So we were only running one of Rowsey/Howard.  They keyed in on shutting down Howard and Hauser.  Theo was are only offense, who came up big.

But when Theo is forced to be the focal point of the offense, MU is going to be in trouble. 

Even in this game, we needed 26 from Sacar, or we do not win.  He got them.  But every team in the BE would take their chances on Sacar scoring 26 again.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
We got killed in zone against SJU. Baskets 4 possesions in a row. Switched back to man.

Not true. Go back and watch the game, like I did.  We played zone, in the second half, for 5 possessions and STJ scored twice.  We played M2M for 27 possessions and they scored 16 times. Ponds killed us M2M.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 12:34:17 PM »
Not true. Go back and watch the game, like I did.  We played zone, in the second half, for 5 possessions and STJ scored twice.  We played M2M for 27 possessions and they scored 16 times. Ponds killed us M2M.

We also played zone in the 1st half.

I agree we should play a lot of zone against SJU Wednesday 

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »

Maybe some people are right and Wojo is totally clueless and he can only make decisions when he has no other option. Or maybe he’s working with the team every day and knows what he has and has a better idea of what will be successful and what won’t. I’m guessing it’s the latter, but hey, maybe some Scoopers really would be better on the sidelines than Wojo is.

I freely admit that Wojo has forgot more about basketball than I know.  As I said I want him to be our Coach.  It has been frustrating watching games this season, knowing how bad our M2M defense is, and seeing us continue to play M2M and lose.  Teams have been shooting 60%+ against us when we play M2M, that will not get us to the tourney. 

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
We also played zone in the 1st half.

I agree we should play a lot of zone against SJU Wednesday
Yes we did, 5 possessions, and STJ scored once.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
Yes we did, 5 possessions, and STJ scored once.

I admit i don't have the stats in front of me, but i don't think this is accurate for either half

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
While the zone was somewhat the difference maker, it still was not good. It fooled Creighton and made them adjust when they were in rhythm but they will expect it next time.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
I admit i don't have the stats in front of me, but i don't think this is accurate for either half
Well, being a loser who obviously spends too much time on Scoop and has too much free time, I went back and watched the STJ game again (very painful) and I tallied our defensive possessions.  I may be off on total possessions, not sure how to tally a turnover that led to a fast break layup, but I am sure on the number of possessions we played zone and the number of times they scored.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 01:01:38 PM »
While the zone was somewhat the difference maker, it still was not good. It fooled Creighton and made them adjust when they were in rhythm but they will expect it next time.
Maybe or maybe not, my point is, they obviously were not surprised by how bad our M2M defense is.  We all know this years team has a great deal of difficulty playing M2M defense.  We can keep playing M2M or we can try something different.  We had lost 5 of 6 games and were on our way to losing our 6th game until we changed defense and played zone.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
The oeople that are arguing if our zone was good or not are missing the point we have speed and size issues and lack athleticism so we are not going to pay good defense, period.  The qwestion is is our zone less terrible than our man.  I too was very frustrated we didnt play more zone against SJU as the layup line against our M2M continued.  We actually got some stops and steals with the zone. 
Additionally our offense is historically good, in fact its historically good even when howard n rowsey are not on the floor together.  Last night was more proof positive that we can still score a crap load of points without the two on the court.  We scored significantly more in the second half. 
Bottom line the zone doesnt have to be the greatest zone ever, it just needs to keep opposing teams under 90-100 points.  In most of our BE losses we have given up over 90!!! Last night the zone was not the greatest zone in the history of college basketball but it kept the opponents under 90, and it allowed us to win.  I have zero confidence we can keep teams under 90 with M2M.  We gave up 53 in the first half n 33 in the second half.  Pretty stark
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »
The oeople that are arguing if our zone was good or not are missing the point we have speed and size issues and lack athleticism so we are not going to pay good defense, period.  The qwestion is is our zone less terrible than our man.  I too was very frustrated we didnt play more zone against SJU as the layup line against our M2M continued.  We actually got some stops and steals with the zone. 
Additionally our offense is historically good, in fact its historically good even when howard n rowsey are not on the floor together.  Last night was more proof positive that we can still score a crap load of points without the two on the court.  We scored significantly more in the second half. 
Bottom line the zone doesnt have to be the greatest zone ever, it just needs to keep opposing teams under 90-100 points.  In most of our BE losses we have given up over 90!!! Last night the zone was not the greatest zone in the history of college basketball but it kept the opponents under 90, and it allowed us to win.  I have zero confidence we can keep teams under 90 with M2M.  We gave up 53 in the first half n 33 in the second half.  Pretty stark

Very well said, I agree 100%