[Today at 12:26:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The worst part  (Read 4438 times)

The Lens

• All American
The worst part
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:32:24 AM »
The worst part of all of this is we’re the rabid ones.  We care enough to post on Scoop, travel to games, have season tix and live and die with this team.

And we still left early, turned it off etc. 

Imagine the casual fans? 

Last night the student section was completely empty in the upper deck.  3 days after taking Nova to the wire and still empty. We’re not exactly developing new fans. 

Next season we move into a new spot with a heftier bill. 

None of this is good. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
Re: The worst part
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
Yep.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
I stayed all the way through, not sure why but I did  ;)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
I stayed.  Always do.  The rest of you bandwagon folks, meh....

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:49:33 AM »
Don't know why I subjected myself to the pain of staying through the game but I did. For the rest of the fans that are not die hards like us with the mentality of "I show up when the team shows up"...its not looking great. If the next game wasn't NMD the place would be empty.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:51:28 AM »
Indeed, agree.  Besides a one-and-done NCAA blip last year, MU's trend is --at best-- flat. 

In addition to zero new fans from the student population, could alumni angst be at a ~20 year high? 

Maybe 'angst' isn't the right word.  Indifference?  Apathy?

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 08:53:05 AM »
Congrats to those of you that stayed until the end.

It's entertainment, once it stops being enjoyable to watch leave. I did so with about 10 minutes left.

I bought the same amount of snacks and beers, paid the same for my ticket whether I left then or stayed until the end.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »

I'd be careful not to judge brother.  Chick gets 5 hours sleep after 8:15 starts.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »
Left at halftime, was too painful to watch. Team looked lost a/t, no one driving the lane, just chunking up shots

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »

I'm there every night. Cupcakes, bad weather, bad team, doesn't matter. I was so disgusted that I left early last night.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
I stayed all the way through, not sure why but I did  ;)

Now I know who the two other fans were who stayed with me.  You and Nuke.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
Was in the student section straddling the Majerus and Dukiet years.    Not in my nature to quit or walk away.     Even though I got 3 hours of sleep Tuesday night, I stayed up until the bitter end.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
Yep! We F----en stunk.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
Was in the student section straddling the Majerus and Dukiet years.    Not in my nature to quit or walk away.     Even though I got 3 hours of sleep Tuesday night, I stayed up until the bitter end.
Yes, its not my nature either.  These kids work hard representing MU. This young team had a bad night against a team with two very good seniors in Martin and Wideman and a PG that MU does not match up with.  Must be disheartening for the kids and the coaches to see all those fan leaving so early.  Moving on to Saturday with a full house for National Marquette Day.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 09:30:02 AM »
Was extremely pleased that I missed a phone all from my brother in law offering up a couple of tickets. A horrible performance last night. I stated in another thread,  that this team better learn how to win and it needed to start ASAP. Truthfully, Wojo and the staff should be ashamed of that performance.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
The best part, I didn't hear (m)any boos.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
The best part, I didn't hear (m)any boos.

Except at the refs!  Agree with you by the way.  That's good.  Classless to boo college kids.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
At the 12:00 minute TO, it was approaching 10:00 pm.  50% of those still in attendance left at that point.  I recall a game vs. Cincinnati early in the Deane years, where MU was losing by 40 and more folks stuck around.

Of course, the Kohl Center was empty when Wisky was sh!tting the bed vs. Nebraska, too.  Maybe that's just how fans are these days.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:59:45 AM »
Was extremely pleased that I missed a phone all from my brother in law offering up a couple of tickets. A horrible performance last night. I stated in another thread,  that this team better learn how to win and it needed to start ASAP. Truthfully, Wojo and the staff should be ashamed of that performance.

I am of the belief that the talent level on this team is not what many MU fans think it is. We have some excellent players but clearly not enough. The team will not make the NCAA this year. It is unrealistic, given the level of play, that a switch will suddenly go on and we go on a tear. This team does not have the defensive ability to pull it off. Very disappointing in year 4 of Wojo regime.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »
Wow .. graphic video representation of how many people were gone with a third of the game left to play:

https://twitter.com/mubbnation/status/958911685028405248

Just brutal.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 10:02:29 AM »

This is the first game this year where I share that sentiment. The mighty Kev O'Neill was not ashamed to call his mentor Lute Olsen when things got rough. I hope Wojo isn't afraid to reach out to K. That's a wealth of knowledge and experience he can access. He's got to tap into something.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:17 AM »
Wow .. graphic video representation of how many people were gone with a third of the game left to play:

https://twitter.com/mubbnation/status/958911685028405248

Just brutal.

8:15 PM tips will do that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
Indeed, agree.  Besides a one-and-done NCAA blip last year, MU's trend is --at best-- flat. 

In addition to zero new fans from the student population, could alumni angst be at a ~20 year high? 

Maybe 'angst' isn't the right word.  Indifference?  Apathy?

Not sure how you can say it's flat and that the NCAA appearance was a blip. This game was so horrendous that it's got to be the statistical outlier not the "norm". we can still go 6-2 for the balance of the season and have a decent seed in the NCAA and next year's roster is clearly a step up from this years.

I do share the concern that fans just don't seem to care right now....especially considering the investment MU makes in basketball.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »
The real worst part is how silly these threads are going to look when our name gets called on Selection Sunday. Or that might be the best part. Depends on your perspective ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 10:21:26 AM »
8:15 PM tips will do that.

On the bright side, because the crowd left so early, I was able to catch 2 of the parachutes