[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Automatic External Defibrillator  (Read 3422 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Automatic External Defibrillator
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:18:54 PM »
I think it's pretty common nowadays.  We rent out a gym once a week for some pickup basketball at a Montesori School in Wauwatosa and had to use an AED on someone who went into cardiac arrest.  Had to shock him twice, with chest compressions in between, to get his heartbeat back.

They are truly amazing.  Once you get it hooked up they tell you exactly what to do (shock if needed, chest compressions, etc.).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
I have to believe most every gym in America has one. I’ve seen them everywhere from schools to shopping malls.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 10:08:29 PM »
Said it before and will say it again.... everyone would do well to at least watch a YouTube video on how these things function.  They may be easy to use, but unfamiliarity can lay waste to comprehension when anxiety appears.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:54:43 PM »
Said it before and will say it again.... everyone would do well to at least watch a YouTube video on how these things function.  They may be easy to use, but unfamiliarity can lay waste to comprehension when anxiety appears.

+1

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:39:57 AM »
I think it's pretty common nowadays.  We rent out a gym once a week for some pickup basketball at a Montesori School in Wauwatosa and had to use an AED on someone who went into cardiac arrest.  Had to shock him twice, with chest compressions in between, to get his heartbeat back.

They are truly amazing.  Once you get it hooked up they tell you exactly what to do (shock if needed, chest compressions, etc.).

Does it happen to be the Milwaukee Montessori (thats basically in Wauwatosa) Cause I live about 300 feet from it.

To the actual post. I cant recall the last time I was in a gym/rec center that didn't have one. I've even seem them at parks in the summer.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »
Even the MKE HOG chapter carries one all the time, which considering the ages of most of the chapter members seems like a good idea.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 09:29:33 AM »
Does it happen to be the Milwaukee Montessori (thats basically in Wauwatosa) Cause I live about 300 feet from it.

To the actual post. I cant recall the last time I was in a gym/rec center that didn't have one. I've even seem them at parks in the summer.

It is not but I believe I know where that school is.  We play at the one on 121st and North.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »

With all the beef and cheddars being consumed on Scoop, watching this video is a good idea.

Seriously.

Using an AED by American Red Cross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAWGjNAj_vA

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »

i cannot disagree, but these things practically drive themselves.  you turn them on and they go thru step by step procedure telling you what to do.  once you attach the adhesive electrodes to patient's chest, the AED receives the info needed(heart rate, etc) to determine if a shock needs to be delivered or not
don't...don't don't don't don't

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »
Friend of mine who has just a mild cardiac issue bought one and has in his house.  Some believe this will be a common purchase in years to come. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
It is not but I believe I know where that school is.  We play at the one on 121st and North.
My memory is mid 70s ....121st and North is just about where Mt Zion Church is (where my sis was married) ....just around the corner on 124th and North there used to be a west suburban YMCA with lots of courts and facilities--they both still there?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 04:09:34 PM »
Friend of mine who has just a mild cardiac issue bought one and has in his house.  Some believe this will be a common purchase in years to come.

Should be as common, if not more common than fire extinguishers in a house.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
My memory is mid 70s ....121st and North is just about where Mt Zion Church is (where my sis was married) ....just around the corner on 124th and North there used to be a west suburban YMCA with lots of courts and facilities--they both still there?

The YMCA is still there.  Would the church have been on the north side of North Ave.?  There might be a church on the north side of North Ave.  I don't think there's one on the south side of North Ave.  There are baseball fields, a playground, and an outdoor basketball court back behind the school.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 06:43:15 PM »
Should be as common, if not more common than fire extinguishers in a house.

Good point. I think you just gave me an idea for my parents' next Christmas present.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 07:53:09 PM »
Good point. I think you just gave me an idea for my parents' next Christmas present.

either that or keep all matches, lighters, flammables, etc away from them, eyn'er? ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »
Had two on order last summer (one for the house, one for the car), but ran into problems with HSA payment.  For some reason, Costco.com wouldn't accept my HSA card as payment for a medical device.

Has anyone else attempted to purchase one of these with HSA/FSA funds?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »
Fantastic tools and very easy to use. If you need to use one on a child, just make sure the pads don't touch.

I've been pushing for our department to work more with schools in the Milwaukee area to make CPR training a part of the high school curriculum. We have a Community Paramedicine program that does different types of patient outreach and I feel it's a great chance for us to get out in the community. If everyone graduating from high school in the city knew CPR I feel it would drastically improve survival rates. Seattle has a similar program and they have the highest resuscitation rate in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback