Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[Today at 10:44:37 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MUBB players to NBA Question?  (Read 14371 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Re: MUBB players to NBA Question?
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
Again, I don't want to sound like I'm rippin' on Markus because I'm not ...

But is he REALLY a better NBA candidate than Brunson is?
this is all based on potential. Howard is younger

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »

That's what jumped out at me as well. Brunson has ridiculous instincts/hoops IQ and is far more athletic than people generally think. He tends to move around slowly on the court, but if you watch him closely, he is actually quite quick when he wants to get around someone to go to the hoop or for a kickout. He lulls people to sleep a bit. I watched him play up close many times in high school and finally caught on that his frame and general body language is deceptive. He put down a dunk easily when I would have guessed there was no way he could dunk at that time. His body is leaner and stronger now than it was then. I think Brunson will be an outstanding NBA player for a decade. I'm really surprised where he is on that list.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »

Wow didn't realize how low they had Brunson. That's madness. I hate playing against that guy but sheesh, he is really a joy to watch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »
That's what jumped out at me as well. Brunson has ridiculous instincts/hoops IQ and is far more athletic than people generally think. He tends to move around slowly on the court, but if you watch him closely, he is actually quite quick when he wants to get around someone to go to the hoop or for a kickout. He lulls people to sleep a bit. I watched him play up close many times in high school and finally caught on that his frame and general body language is deceptive. He put down a dunk easily when I would have guessed there was no way he could dunk at that time. His body is leaner and stronger now than it was then. I think Brunson will be an outstanding NBA player for a decade. I'm really surprised where he is on that list.

Agree totally with this. Brunson will have a long pro career.

The best modern comparison is JJ Barea.  Again more of a natural PG but really a 2 in a PG size package...

This is a very good comparison - similar size and game.

Barea's scoring at Northeastern is similar to that of Markus. Markus shot a much better percentage, but Barea averaged about 8 assists over his final 2 years.

Even though Barea was a high-turnover guy, I think he generally proved he could handle PG duties. That's what Markus almost surely will have to show NBA GMs, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »
JJ Barea was jet quick. I still don't have a great comparison for Howard. Maybe a modern day Butch Lee with a 3 point shot? But Butch was before my time so I have to defer to the old timers.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
JJ Barea was jet quick. I still don't have a great comparison for Howard. Maybe a modern day Butch Lee with a 3 point shot? But Butch was before my time so I have to defer to the old timers.
No no Butch was an all around playa, I know I'm biased but.... almost beat the powerful US Olympic team by himself if it wasn't for a bs call. He would have had a good NBA career if it wasn't for the knee injury he suffered was averaging 20+ minutes per game prior.

http://top10busts.com/2015/02/injury-exemption-butch-lee/
Goal is National Championship

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
Isaiah Thomas is a 5'9" volume shooting PG that plays no D... and he finished 5th in the MVP race last year for the Eastern conference 1 seed. Surprised he hasn't been brought up as a comp (unless I missed it).

He went from a 19.5% assist rate his sophomore year (compared to Markus' 20% this year) to 32.7% as a junior then bounced early entrant. Yes he was the last pick in the draft, but he set the template proving a guy like that could have NBA success, and Markus is just a better player at the same stage of their careers. If Markus can up that assist rate next year (no doubt he'll work on that all summer), then I'd say the chances he leaves early are high.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2018, 11:40:54 PM »
Isaiah Thomas is a 5'9" volume shooting PG that plays no D... and he finished 5th in the MVP race last year for the Eastern conference 1 seed. Surprised he hasn't been brought up as a comp (unless I missed it).

He went from a 19.5% assist rate his sophomore year (compared to Markus' 20% this year) to 32.7% as a junior then bounced early entrant. Yes he was the last pick in the draft, but he set the template proving a guy like that could have NBA success, and Markus is just a better player at the same stage of their careers. If Markus can up that assist rate next year (no doubt he'll work on that all summer), then I'd say the chances he leaves early are high.

Several of us have said that Markus has to prove he can play PG.

Unless Wojo brings in a grad transfer or unless a healthy Elliott makes a significant leap, Wojo will have no choice next year but to let Markus try to prove it.

I wonder if Vander's basketball life would have gone any differently if he had a great senior season in which he proved he could play PG. Maybe not ... but maybe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2018, 08:27:42 AM »
Knot for sure why wee can't all bee fookin' friends here, doe, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2018, 08:47:53 AM »
You call it a disease like we're leppers and feel entitled to tell me to f*ck off? Own your bull sh*t and shut up.

How about taking the "education" route next time instead of the "swearing and flying off the handle" route.

feedback