[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Daniel
[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Of the following outcomes, which would you prefer over the next four games?

1-3, w @X
1-3, w vs. Nova
2-2, wins Prov and Butler
I don't care, as long as everyone tries hard and has a good time.
Arby's

Author Topic: Next four games  (Read 4122 times)

1SE

• All American
Next four games
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:19:40 AM »
Mini-poll for this crucial stretch. Of course if we go 4-0 there's going to be a plethora of boys born in 9 months named Wojo. 3-1 is almost as good and, let's not kid ourselves, 2-2 with a win over one of the big boys will have us all smiling. And of course 0-4 will bring the "fire" posts back to the front page, while picking up just 1 against Butler or Providence puts us in a tough spot. But what about the creamy middle - what would you prefer (not necessarily what you think is most likely)? 
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Next four games
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 07:21:18 AM »
Poll option added.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:46:00 AM »
Go Marquette!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »
I'm kind of surprised by the direction of the responses - is the bid really going to be that much of a bean counting exercise? Do you think the committee really prefers 10-8 (19-11) with SH as best win to 9-9 (18-12) with a top-10(ish) road win or a home victory over a (maybe still) #1?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:12:16 AM »
I'll be honest, less than 3-1 will leave me disappointed. Not mad or "fire Wojo," but disappointed. I think we should win against the middle at home and think getting at least one against Xavier and Nova is something realistically attainable.

The bid is a bean counting exercise. 8 league wins, probably out. 9 league wins, probably in. 10 league wins, stone cold lock. If we get the four remaining against St John's, Georgetown, and DePaul, it'll just take 1-2 more wins to assure our bid. Personally, I still think 12 Big East wins is on the table.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
I'm kind of surprised by the direction of the responses - is the bid really going to be that much of a bean counting exercise? Do you think the committee really prefers 10-8 (19-11) with SH as best win to 9-9 (18-12) with a top-10(ish) road win or a home victory over a (maybe still) #1?

Both of your scenarios probably get us in. I voted 2-2 because you take the wins where you can get em in this league. We won't be faulted for losing to Nova or @Xavier. We might be docked for losing home games to Butler and Providence.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 08:19:23 AM »
If we go 4-0, I'll name my next child Teve. He has to earn the right to share a name with Coach.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »
2-2, but I would happily exchange one of the wins for one against Xavier or Nova  :)
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »
If we go 4-0, I'll name my next child Teve. He has to earn the right to share a name with Coach.
Name him Wojciechowski.   Go big. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
2-2, but I would happily exchange one of the wins for one against Xavier or Nova  :)

Right, I said 2-2, but don't really care where the 2 come from, and which 2 we drop.  Ok, I care a lot, but 2-2 is my hope over the next 4.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 11:07:31 AM »
I'll be honest, less than 3-1 will leave me disappointed. Not mad or "fire Wojo," but disappointed. I think we should win against the middle at home and think getting at least one against Xavier and Nova is something realistically attainable.

The bid is a bean counting exercise. 8 league wins, probably out. 9 league wins, probably in. 10 league wins, stone cold lock. If we get the four remaining against St John's, Georgetown, and DePaul, it'll just take 1-2 more wins to assure our bid. Personally, I still think 12 Big East wins is on the table.

Based on the data set we have now, I think 9-9 is the floor and 12-6 is the ceiling....and the roof is whatever it is, with those outcomes it's an NCAA bid one way or another.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
Based on the data set we have now, I think 9-9 is the floor and 12-6 is the ceiling....and the roof is whatever it is, with those outcomes it's an NCAA bid one way or another.

So Eng, I'm not going to go back and study your 'optimistic' season prediction but are we on or ahead of your pace?

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
2-2 and it’s not close.  Losing to both Providence and Butler puts us on the 9-9 track, with a disadvantage versus Butler (0-2) and Providence (1-1 but with win when best player was sick).  With 2-2, MU needs just to defend home court and win two of three road games versus DePaul, Georgetown and St. John’s to hit 10-8, which almost certainly gets them in. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
So Eng, I'm not going to go back and study your 'optimistic' season prediction but are we on or ahead of your pace?

Actually on pace, I said we could get to 11-7 and a top 4 conference finish. I think that's less likely than not, but it is definitely attainable if we can beat Butler and Creighton at least once each and maybe sweep Seton Hall.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
Actually on pace, I said we could get to 11-7 and a top 4 conference finish. I think that's less likely than not, but it is definitely attainable if we can beat Butler and Creighton at least once each and maybe sweep Seton Hall.

You were really THAT optimistic?  Wow.  That would be great.  But limiting ourselves to 4 more losses does seem possible.  Perhaps not probable but I can see it if we meet expectations at home.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
You were really THAT optimistic?  Wow.  That would be great.  But limiting ourselves to 4 more losses does seem possible.  Perhaps not probable but I can see it if we meet expectations at home.

Yep, broken clocks are also right twice a day.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
Why isn’t NM an option?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
@Xavier a win?  They are 9 point favorites for a reason.
Nova a win?  Lightning striking twice?
Butler?  Butler is Marquette's kryptonite.   Butler has owned us, 10 of the last 13 games.
Providence?   Best chance.  Sure hope Markus can drop 52 again by then, though.

Easily could be 1-3.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 04:02:44 PM »
@Xavier a win?  They are 9 point favorites for a reason.
Nova a win?  Lightning striking twice?
Butler?  Butler is Marquette's kryptonite.   Butler has owned us, 10 of the last 13 games.
Providence?   Best chance.  Sure hope Markus can drop 52 again by then, though.

Easily could be 1-3.

Did anyone who voted in this think we'd go this stretch at 0-4?

Performing below expectations.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 04:06:40 PM »

Yes.

And I could pretty much use the same post for today's "thoughts" thread.  Theo, check.  Hero ball from the tiny guards, check.

I'm feeling a 4 game losing streak here.  No bueno.

Xavier is very, very good.

Theo should start and he should play until he fouls out.  At least he's willing to hit somebody and fight for the rebound.  Have him in there for as long as he can be in before he fouls out and at least set the tone for guys driving freely down the lane.  Then maybe they'll at least fool themselves into thinking someone is going to put them on their a$$ if they sprint down the lane even when Theo isn't on the court.

Rowsey...ugh.  While Howard scored a lot and made some very tough shots, in my opinion he was pretty ugh too.

We're going to need an immediate impact point guard that can control the offense and get everyone involved next year.  If we get that I'm very excited.  If we don't I'm very worried (in the sense of I think we can be a top 15 team, but a lack of that will make us more of a 6-9 seed than a 3-6 seed).

We know what the defense is.  That's not changing.  So I'm more concerned about the offense.  Just too much hero ball from Rowsey and Howard.  I've said it before, I'll say it again.  If one of the two of them want to completely dominate the ball all game, I'm more than happy to watch him go for 30 while the rest of the team goes for 40 total if I’m gameplanning against MU.  The ball needs to move.  MU can spread the heck out of defenses.  But it doesn't matter if one guy is dribbling with his head down the entire possession.  The ball moves faster through the air than off the bounce.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »

Yes 22% of us.  That's why I added Arby's as a poll option.   #sadtrombone

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Yes 22% of us.  That's why I added Arby's as a poll option.   #sadtrombone

Ha, in the pre Big East poll, I was the only one who picked them going 7-11.  I prayed I was going to be wrong, but now that is a distinct possibility. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »
They tried hard!!

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 04:37:42 PM »
They tried hard!!
thing is, they didn’t until final 4 min

feedback