Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Riding the shoulders of ...  (Read 3437 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Riding the shoulders of ...
« on: January 16, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »
Heldt, John, Froling, Cain, Anim and Elliott.  We know what Rowsey, Howard and Hauser can do.  If we are going to be dancing the listed six guys are the ones that are going to get us there.  They have come a long ways already this season.  I don't think they have to play harder, just smarter.  Less turnovers, making defense assignments, taking smart shots. 

tower912

• All American
Re: Riding the shoulders of ...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:19:39 AM »
The unheralded 6 all played well against DePaul.     And every compliment is going to be tempered with a ..."but it was DePaul".    They were all committed to defense.   The freshmen were committed to making plays.    Froling showed what we hoped he would be.   That drive from the 3 pt line was really good.    Cain's release on his jumper in the lane was nearly at rim height.    Theo dunked and blocked like an enforcer should.    Elliott's handle is still a little sloppy, but I am curious how much of that is due to his left thumb.   

If they all find ways to contribute in every game going forward, MU can be pretty darn good.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »
DePaul came close to upsetting Xavier at Cintas. They took Oregon to overtime, were a basket away from beating Northwestern, and had a sizable lead on Providence. No, they're not a great team, but we made them look bad while playing pretty poorly ourselves.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:23:46 AM »
The unheralded 6 all played well against DePaul.     And every compliment is going to be tempered with a ..."but it was DePaul".    They were all committed to defense.   The freshmen were committed to making plays.    Froling showed what we hoped he would be.   That drive from the 3 pt line was really good.    Cain's release on his jumper in the lane was nearly at rim height.    Theo dunked and blocked like an enforcer should.    Elliott's handle is still a little sloppy, but I am curious how much of that is due to his left thumb.   

If they all find ways to contribute in every game going forward, MU can be pretty darn good.

Worst team nickname ever.

Honestly, though, these were the guys - outside of Sam - that kept us in rhythm and got it done tonight. Rowsey and Markus just seemed disjointed (good to get it out of the system, and plenty of coaching to do in the next 9 days). But these guys came thru.  Froling didn't force anything, and Cain is just so smooth.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
DePaul came close to upsetting Xavier at Cintas. They took Oregon to overtime, were a basket away from beating Northwestern, and had a sizable lead on Providence. No, they're not a great team, but we made them look bad while playing pretty poorly ourselves.

This.  I've seem DePaul play several times on TV this year and genuinely believed they were making real progress. I didn't get to see the entire game last night but putting a bullet in any BEast team by halftime is a laudable accomplishment.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 11:33:26 AM »
Worst team nickname ever.

Honestly, though, these were the guys - outside of Sam - that kept us in rhythm and got it done tonight. Rowsey and Markus just seemed disjointed (good to get it out of the system, and plenty of coaching to do in the next 9 days). But these guys came thru.  Froling didn't force anything, and Cain is just so smooth.

I'm actually a little concerned about how we will react to how we are defended now.  The last two games our opponents really concentrated on forcing Rowsey and Howard off the three point line to make them penetrators, and then have defenders waiting for them in the lane daring them to pass.  They both (particularly Rowsey) have a penchant for driving into crowds/trouble.  We are going to need those two to distribute without turning it over and we are going to need those 6 to catch and score the rest of the way to be successful.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »
Heldt, John, Froling, Cain, Anim and Elliott.  We know what Rowsey, Howard and Hauser can do.  If we are going to be dancing the listed six guys are the ones that are going to get us there.  They have come a long ways already this season.  I don't think they have to play harder, just smarter.  Less turnovers, making defense assignments, taking smart shots.

I get what you're saying, but we don't win without a big game from one of our Big 3 unless it's against a really bad opponent. If most or all of the "unheralded 6" are off their game, we'll struggle but still have a shot. If all 3 studs struggle, I don't see anyone else being able to pick up that much slack.

Luckily, our 3 studs are just that - studs. When one struggles, the others are there to pick the team up. These guys are about 70% of our scoring, which is what wins us ball games. For us to get to the dance, we still need Rowsey, Howard, or Hauser to show up every game. For us to be a lock, continued contributions from the other guys is key. If the freshmen keep stepping up, Harry keeps pounding the boards, and Sacar continues to slow down scoring threats we can be dangerous come March.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 11:43:25 AM »
DePaul has made some nice strides and not the patsy they have been for quite some time. They might be a nice path to building a sound program. Last nights win is a decent win overall.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »
DePaul has made some nice strides and not the patsy they have been for quite some time. They might be a nice path to building a sound program. Last nights win is a decent win overall.

Sorry, what strides have they made?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »

Have you seen that perty new stadium?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »

FTs matta...

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »

I mean, they're close to a top 100 RPI win. Not sure where they finished the last several years, but feel like it was much closer to 150.

Edit: I took a look at Kenpom - results of which are below. Feel like this can't be right.

2017 - 183
2016 - 183
2015 - 150
2014 - 183 (nothing if not consistent, eh?)
2013 - 173
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:15:20 PM by GB Warrior »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

Solid shot at finishing 9th in the BE.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
I mean, they're close to a top 100 RPI win. Not sure where they finished the last several years, but feel like it was much closer to 150.

Edit: I took a look at Kenpom - results of which are below. Feel like this can't be right.

2017 - 183
2016 - 183
2015 - 150
2014 - 183 (nothing if not consistent, eh?)
2013 - 173

I know it's early, but their RPI is 185 right now.  I don't see how they climb much higher than 160, which in itself is doubtful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
I know it's early, but their RPI is 185 right now.  I don't see how they climb much higher than 160, which in itself is doubtful.

What's your source? I know there are different ways of estimating that I don't fully appreciate. I used KenPom just for apples to apples - they are currently 109 after last night there.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »
What's your source? I know there are different ways of estimating that I don't fully appreciate. I used KenPom just for apples to apples - they are currently 109 after last night there.

NCAA publishes the RPI. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

DPU at 184

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »

They are 109 in Kenpom. Not RPI. The numbers you listed are all Kenpom, not RPI.

So yes they are definitely much improved this year according to Kenpom.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
NCAA publishes the RPI. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

DPU at 184
Hopefully they can reach 183. Seems to be the # they are striving for.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
Depaul looked pretty terrible lat night, but I think they're much improved from previous seasons.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »
Hopefully they can reach 183. Seems to be the # they are striving for.

Eighty three...