[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MUbiz
[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul...... meh.  (Read 17292 times)

tower912

• All American
DePaul...... meh.
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:52:57 PM »
1.   A nice bounce back.   Way to take out your frustrations on a cupcake.
2.  MU's defensive stats are going to be helped.
3.  Positive contributions by each and every one of the less heralded 6. 
4.   So sloppy.     So painful to watch at times.
5.  The midgets were abysmal.    But it didn't matter tonight. 
6.   But it was DePaul and now there are 9 days off to rest, regroup, refocus. 
7.  I had the over.    Ah, well. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

connie

• All American
Re: DePaul...... meh.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »
4.   So sloppy.     So painful to watch at times.
5.  The midgets were abysmal.    But it didn't matter tonight.

Understatements.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »
Number 1 is right on the head. Felt more like a cupcake game than a big east game. Hard to watch but I'll take the win.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
Was it 5 games in 11 days? I'll write it off on that. Effort was there on defense.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:57:36 PM »
1.  TCB
2.  Next

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »
Theo is progressing nicely.
Best game from Harry, very active.
Jamal with incredibly athleticism.

Other than that pretty awful all around.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 10:01:59 PM »
Ugliest game of the year so far, but there were some bright spots that make me hopeful for the remainder of the year and the next couple of years. Seeing Theo play aggressively but under control and throwing down some big dunks was awesome. He's my vote for most improved this year. Greg and Jamal both have a good nose for the ball on D. At times, they both needed to slow things down a bit, but I like seeing some fast break opportunities, especially ones that end at the rim. And Harry looked like a solid big tonight. He did a great job getting into position for rebounds and did a nice job distributing the ball from the post as well. He still seems to get winded quickly, but I'm guessing one more summer of boot camp will get him past that conditioning hump.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:04:14 PM by skianth16 »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:05 PM »
Rowsey and Howard go 4 for 19, with 3 for 14 from three and eight turnovers (MU had 16) and they win by 18.

Take it and rest.  Something was off with Markus tonight, has like two duds in a row, so he due for X.....

Best game for Froling.  Had a few looks at taking a three and realed it in.  Good for him. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
Harry + either Matt or Theo = much better D than usual.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
Rowsey shot bad. Other then that had great passing and defense. He ended with 5? Turnovers and a couple should have been attributed to others. Also would have over 10 assists islf people would have converted.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: DePaul...... meh. F
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 10:06:26 PM »
Four Big East wins with Georgetown, DePaul and SJU (2) to go.  Then hold serve at home (2out of 3) versus Butler, PC or Creighton.  A few more surprises and a Top 4 finish, with a little sprinkle of fairy dust defense, who knows?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »
Great night for them to have a horrible game.  Hope they keep working on that defense, which I think had at least a little bit to do with DePaul?s uber-wretchedness tonight.  This team is going to keep getting better.

Don?t know if anyone noted,  Markus still perfect from the line. Dickie talked right over it.  Keep the streak going!
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
Everyone bitches about our poor defense and then when we win and hold our opponents to 52, people bitch about the poor offense.

Shots were just off tonight, lots of open looks we just didn?t hit.  5 games in 11 games will do that to your legs.

Defense was very active and guys were very tough under the basket.

Take it and go prepare for a huge week vs. X and V.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
According to Wojo, Markus is sick. That could explain his rough couple of games. Impressive he still hasn't missed a FT even with that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
Everyone bitches about our poor defense and then when we win and hold our opponents to 52, people bitch about the poor offense.

Shots were just off tonight, lots of open looks we just didn?t hit.  5 games in 11 games will do that to your legs.

MU held DePaul to 14-37 in the paint (37%). Wojo dropped three back in the paint at most points, no high hedging, won rebounding total with all those misses. The underclassmen brought energy on D.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »
As long as Jean Lenti-Ponsetto is the AD at DePaul, they will remain at the bottom of the Big East.  DePaul, despite having a brand new arena, is one terrible basketball program with an apparent lack of Big East-quality talent.  Leitao honestly looks like he is phoning it in at this point. 

Rowsey did not have a good game.  At all.  I'll chalk it up to playing down to the competition and trying to get too cute with the ball many times.  Whatever - onto the next game against X.  Hauser was solid and I was really impressed with Froling.  He looks to be settling into a nice role off the bench. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »
I legit felt sad for DePaul, had to turn the game off. I wish DU was good, would love to see a heated MU/DU rivalry. That program is just the epitome of sadness.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »
Harry Froling, inches from greatness.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
You know what boys?  This was like our 5th game in the last couple weeks.  Been a grind where frankly the only less than successful effort was at Butler.  We're sitting at 4-3 with 9 days to regroup before another tough stretch.  All good.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 10:43:43 PM »

Welcome to scoop - where certain segments of the population are only happy with we lose <2 each year and blow every team out by 35 while shooting >75%

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 10:43:55 PM »
Harry Froling, inches from greatness.

Story of my life

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 10:50:20 PM »
"DePaul:  Putting the D back into MU Defense".  Best defensive game of the year drops MU below the Mendoza Line (#180 down to #145).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 12:00:38 AM »
I know folks get frustrated with our Warriors sometimes. Even I do every once in a blue moon.

But how 'bout if you had to watch THAT team all the time?

Horribly coached. More than half the time, whoever got the ball for DePaul just drove into the lane and tossed total crap toward the basket. Little motion. Few screens on or away from the ball. The players seem pretty clueless, too - they aren't blameless, that's for sure.

Our two 20-point scorers barely did a thing - and it wasn't because the Demons played any defense; it was just because our shooting was off - and yet this was an annihilation from beginning to end.

This is the first time I've seen DePaul this season, and I really wonder how they won 8 games.

As for our side ...

Nice all-around game by Sam, as usual.

Each of our centers had his moments. Harry had his best game, and Theo had his career high.

That little stretch from Cain was absolutely electric. So excited about how good he can be.

Elliott got out of control too often, negating some of the good stuff he did.

Rowsey had several excellent dishes, but he also tried some really silly ones. He had Sam wide open for a 3 but instead of just passing it to him, he went for a completely unnecessary no-look pass and air-mailed it. Also a little loose with the ball. In general, however, I do like the "set up my teammates as well as myself" AR.

2 more FTs in the bank for Markus - 2 more and he ties Novak. He also had a few nice passes. Gotta get well and get shooting again, though!

9 days off and then a huge, very demanding five-game stretch. Win 2 of those, and I'll feel very confident about us dancin'. Win 3, and it's a done deal. Crazily, we probably could survive 0-5 ... but I don't want it to come to that!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:04:38 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 12:02:18 AM »
Harry + either Matt or Theo = much better D than usual.

Yeah.  DePaul had plenty of dribble penetration and shots near the rim but with two of those three + Hauser very few uncontested close shots.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 12:53:23 AM »
I legit felt sad for DePaul, had to turn the game off. I wish DU was good, would love to see a heated MU/DU rivalry. That program is just the epitome of sadness.

I was actually at the DePaul vs. Providence game last Friday. My dad got free tickets from work and they were nice seats, so we went. The arena is actually really nice. 

Anyway, during the game with like a minute left, DePaul pulls within 3 and the arena is going crazy (it wasn't even half filled).Moments later Providence starts to pull away and Strus jacks up a terrible contested shot that barely hit the rim. That was it for DePaul and It just immediately deflated that entire arena. (Except for the large section of Providence fans). Their one moment of happiness was gone so quickly, with just a small moment to savor it.

The guy in front of me turns to his friend and says "we were THIS close.." and his friend replies back, "we've been THIS close for years... I'm sick of being close"  After I heard that it just made me sad. We complain about so many things but we have no idea what a terrible program really looks like. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:55:49 AM by cheese ball chaser »