[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brendan Bailey  (Read 29980 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Brendan Bailey
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2019, 11:10:33 AM »
I don't want to be negative about a player. BB seems to be a fine person and he's just a freshman...so waiting till the end of next year is a good idea before knowing his worth as a player...but right now he's lost out there. Great shooting seems to be an anecdote rather than a reality. His lack of minutes is, I believe, Wojo's justified misgivings about his effectiveness at gametime. I'm sure he could hit a few three's in a row in practice with his eye's closed. But it's not happening out there yet. A good coach plays the players who give us the best chance to win....so less Matt (one of my favorite players), less BB.
What about Matt makes him your favorite?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2019, 11:17:21 AM »
While I had hoped for more when hearing all the rave reviews from pre-season, I can't say I'm disappointed in BB at all. During the early stages of a player's career at any level if they are not an immediate star, I just hope to see those glimpses where they will make a high level play here and there to hint at their potential and what may come. BB has shown at times a scorer's mentality, a smooth stroke, an ability to drive inside and finish (I believe he had a big drive and bucket in either the Creighton or SH games) with a soft shot and the ability to use his length on D. I'm excited for his future given the skill set and what I've heard about his make-up. Sam, Joey and BB could really create some problems with their height and ability to play inside and out. I still think BB has a very bright future in the program.

This is exactly where I am at as well. He shows some great flashes here or there that shows me he has gret instincts for the game. 

The best one I can recall is towards the end of n early season game, can't remember which, he faced a 2 on 1 situation after we gave up a TO.  I thought, ok lets get this basket out of the way and get on with things.  Not BB though. He covered the driving players perfectly and made a great defensive play to prevent the bucket.

I am excited for his potential.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2019, 11:21:57 AM »
I believe that BB still has some very good basketball ahead of him. He looks like a good athlete and has refined basketball skills. I would expect him to be a big contributor down the road.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2019, 11:24:48 AM »
This is exactly where I am at as well. He shows some great flashes here or there that shows me he has gret instincts for the game. 

The best one I can recall is towards the end of n early season game, can't remember which, he faced a 2 on 1 situation after we gave up a TO.  I thought, ok lets get this basket out of the way and get on with things.  Not BB though. He covered the driving players perfectly and made a great defensive play to prevent the bucket.

I am excited for his potential.

I’d add that he has shown good hustle too at points—diving on the floor for loose balls, etc.  one of those intangible things that will help him find the floor even when he isn’t hitting shots.  That’s great to see out of a freshman.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
The only way BB was going to play much for this year's team was if he could prove he could do more things better than Sacar.

He can't. And, it turns out, neither can Cain.

I went in not knowing what to expect from BB. I now know to expect little in 2018-19. wades' analysis about playing time in 2019-20 seems right on, too, especially if Markus returns.

Barring injury, BB is going to have to earn his minutes. Which, of course, is the way it should be.

He's a good athlete with length, he has some hoop skills, he's a willing defender. We'll see how much better he can get and how soon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2019, 11:30:47 AM »
its unfortunate but BB was never going to be at the top of his game coming back. Two years off is nothing like a red shirt year, and even those guys need time to get back into the swing of things.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »
I think the biggest drawback for BB has been simple, Wojo has shortened bench much more than many expected. Wojo is playing the guys he thinks will get the W a ton of minutes. I have no zero problem playing to win and not develop guys. Last season BB would have received more PT. IMO, there appears to be sense urgency to get the W's this season.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »
I think Brendan has more to contribute this year.  Too much Talent to remained covered.  I'm waiting for just dropping a few more 3's and the rest follows.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2019, 11:42:41 AM »
I, too,  optimistic that Brendan will become a great Warrior.  Perhaps we expected too much because of his father and is 21 year old age.  His play so far reminds me of Juan and Sandy. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2019, 11:57:14 AM »
I, too,  optimistic that Brendan will become a great Warrior.  Perhaps we expected too much because of his father and is 21 year old age.  His play so far reminds me of Juan and Sandy.
But more of a Junior Senior year Juan/Sandy.  Lots more to develop here.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »

Not sure how much was expected. I remember most of the minutes guesses we were doing during the offseason had him at just a few mins per game.

When Wojo talked him up a bit during the preseason and he ended up starting the opener, I think it had some of us thinking he could be better than we expected this season.

Again, his only route to real PT would have been taking minutes away from Sacar, and Sacar has earned his minutes.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »
No issues for me with BB at all.  He’s long, big hops, mature kid.  Maybe i’m In the minority, but I think he takes big leap next season.

The comments about him being lost are similar to many freshmen, that’s usually the deal.  Add that he’s been out of competitive ball for a few years, it is only natural.  His raw talent and athleticism you can see, and I believe he plays quite a bit next year.  I expect with our transfer being ready next year, that gives us latitude to do some things defensively like pressing, and playing a bit differently with our wings than today. 

It’s one of the concerns I still have with MH dominant.  I’d love for team sake next year of MH’s shot volume came down some, and the void lifted by others.  Could be an amazing team with more scoring options.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »
Brendan has 2 TOs in 198 minutes.  Cain has 15 in ten fewer minutes. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »
The only way BB was going to play much for this year's team was if he could prove he could do more things better than Sacar.

To me they do two different things.  Sacar is a slasher, pretty good on ball defender, and occasionally a 3 pointer comes from him.  BB is longer, can potentially guard different type of player, and isn't as much of a slasher, but can pick up some garbage points in the paint. If his 3 point shooting comes back to what is expected, I see BB as some that fills in for Sacar, Joey, etc.  I expect his 3 point shooting to improve exponentially this off season. He's at 21% right now, Sacar is at 28%.  Feels like BB should be a 30% to 35% consistently from reputation.   Also cannot teach height, and at 6'8" with hops, there is a place for him next year to make a difference IMO

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
I cannot believe grown men are 5 pages into this discussion on Brendan Bailey.  BB is doing a great job as a Freshman.  Shows a ton of promise, and i love his hops and length.  He plays extremely solid defense for a Freshman.  As with most Freshman to expect much from him during his freshman year is a fools folly.  BB will make great strides over the summer and will be vastly improved by next year.  I see BB as a really solid player by his junior and senior seasons with the potential of being a really special player by the time his senior year ends.
Al used to have a saying about Freshman...
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »
I would think there is potential there for Bailey to be one of, if not the top scorer, for the team his junior year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »
I cannot believe grown men are 5 pages into this discussion on Brendan Bailey.  BB is doing a great job as a Freshman.  Shows a ton of promise, and i love his hops and length.  He plays extremely solid defense for a Freshman.  As with most Freshman to expect much from him during his freshman year is a fools folly.  BB will make great strides over the summer and will be vastly improved by next year.  I see BB as a really solid player by his junior and senior seasons with the potential of being a really special player by the time his senior year ends.

Yeah if it's not irrational extreme hatred toward Luke Fischer it's immature
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »
Never hated him, im sure hes a great guy.  I said he wasnt any good.  Still thankful Wojo moved Heldt ahead of him into the starting lineup and we went on our late season tear after that to secure an NCAA bid.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2019, 03:51:44 PM »

We're really only two pages into this conversation. Most of this is a zombie thread from a year ago asking about Bailey
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »
Never hated him, im sure hes a great guy.  I said he wasnt any good.  Still thankful Wojo moved Heldt ahead of him into the starting lineup and we went on our late season tear after that to secure an NCAA bid.

Im quoting myself, but amazing how long a ways we have come defensively, that our turnaround that season was when we switched a sophomore Matt Heldt who could defend and rebound into the starting lineup. We beat Xavier, nova etc to get into the tourney to today when Heldt is our third string 5 and defensively inferior to the two guys ahead of him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
Im quoting myself, but amazing how long a ways we have come defensively, that our turnaround that season was when we switched a sophomore Matt Heldt who could defend and rebound into the starting lineup. We beat Xavier, nova etc to get into the tourney to today when Heldt is our third string 5 and defensively inferior to the two guys ahead of him.

Luke not only started in the upset of Nova, he had 15 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Heldt played 2 mintues. But nice try!

Heldt did play well in a few games down the stretch, and Wojo's decision helped light a fire under Fischer. Agree it was a smart move. When Heldt looked like a deer in headlights against South Carolina, Wojo was smart enough to bench him. Wojo has had a very good feel for the center position since pretty early on as MU coach. He definitely has earned my trust.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2019, 09:55:30 PM »
Brendan was there tonite!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2019, 09:56:07 PM »
Huh, maybe we should resurrect threads on Chartouny and Jamal and see if we can get them going.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2019, 09:56:37 PM »
He had a hell of a game.  Excited for the future of Bailey.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »
BB was huge tonight. And a huge part of his impact isn’t on the stat sheet. He stepped up huge when he was needed most. So happy for that kid
No Finish Line

feedback