Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2018 Grad Transfer Thread, Updated 4/19/2018  (Read 179923 times)

Tha Hound

• All American
Re: 2018 Grad Transfer Thread, Updated 2/15/2018
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »
If we can bring in Chartouny, or another grad trasnfer that is of his caliber, I see no reason why we shouldn't consistently be top 25 and at least top 3 Big East next year.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2018, 02:30:35 PM »
At least those are still on the topic of basketball, not favorite movies.

Haha in what way is discussing your favorite submarine sandwich related to basketball?  ;)
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »
....or another grad trasnfer that is of his caliber...

I'm becoming increasingly less convinced of this logic.  What changed my mind was the "Minutes" thread.  There just aren't enough minutes for ANOTHER starting quality player, so bringing someone in pretty much guarantees we lose someone else.  We have two pretty clear starters at guard (Markus and Sacar) and two backups (Greg and Jamal).  Because of the huge log-jam at the 3-4-5 spots in the lineup we only need two guards on the floor at one time.  Greg and Sacar aren't going to be sliding up to the 3 like they did at times this year, maybe Jamal.  We just need a little more depth behind the few guards we have.

What I would prefer is a back-up point that we can trust when Markus comes out of the game and who can occasionally play alongside him.  Maybe a 8-12 mpg kinda player.  Could that be a freshman?  A mid-level grad?  A JUCO?  Why not?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »
Yeah I don't think adding a grad transfer PLUS another grad transfer or JUCO makes sense.

A grad transfer and a traditional transfer makes a lot of sense however.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2018, 03:13:44 PM »
Haha in what way is discussing your favorite submarine sandwich related to basketball?  ;)

Referring to your Fire Wojo comment. ;)

I lose interest quickly when threads get off topic and usually don't read. Checked back on the grad transfer thread for some real info, but nope still Spaceballs.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »
Still little sense of humor.  Cartoon-ey had me laughing.

Sorry it didn't seem like a joke. I honestly didn't think you knew how to spell it,  I didn't either,  had to look it up to be sure
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2018, 04:22:56 PM »
I'm becoming increasingly less convinced of this logic.  What changed my mind was the "Minutes" thread.  There just aren't enough minutes for ANOTHER starting quality player, so bringing someone in pretty much guarantees we lose someone else.  We have two pretty clear starters at guard (Markus and Sacar) and two backups (Greg and Jamal).  Because of the huge log-jam at the 3-4-5 spots in the lineup we only need two guards on the floor at one time.  Greg and Sacar aren't going to be sliding up to the 3 like they did at times this year, maybe Jamal.  We just need a little more depth behind the few guards we have.

What I would prefer is a back-up point that we can trust when Markus comes out of the game and who can occasionally play alongside him.  Maybe a 8-12 mpg kinda player.  Could that be a freshman?  A mid-level grad?  A JUCO?  Why not?
. How about the possibility of a foreign player?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »
If players want to leave because the talent on the roster overwhelmed them and put them on the bench I'm all for it.  I'd never pass on a guy who could start from day one because someone already on the roster might eventually leave the team because his minutes were eaten into.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
. How about the possibility of a foreign player?

Fine by me.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
If players want to leave because the talent on the roster overwhelmed them and put them on the bench I'm all for it.  I'd never pass on a guy who could start from day one because someone already on the roster might eventually leave the team because his minutes were eaten into.

This is it exactly...I know a lot of people have a problem with kids leaving...but you know what?? I want the most possible talent they can have. If that causes lessor players to leave, so be it, that's just the way it is. Give me as much talent as possible, and whatever happens to the lessor talented guys, happens.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »

This, of course.

Get the best players you can. The rest will sort itself out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2018, 07:03:58 PM »
^^^ can't wait to hear some of you flip when someone transfers
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
This is it exactly...I know a lot of people have a problem with kids leaving...but you know what?? I want the most possible talent they can have. If that causes lessor players to leave, so be it, that's just the way it is. Give me as much talent as possible, and whatever happens to the lessor talented guys, happens.

If a grad transfer comes in for one year and that pushes Greg or Jamal to the bench so he transfers and we lose three years of rising star, then hell yeah I have a problem with that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »
If a grad transfer comes in for one year and that pushes Greg or Jamal to the bench so he transfers and we lose three years of rising star, then hell yeah I have a problem with that.

If Greg or Jamal can't be patient for a year to regain their playing time, that's on them. Is it about winning, or is it about them?? Chances are however when this occurs, someone lower on the depth chart is one that transfers.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »
If Greg or Jamal can't be patient for a year to regain their playing time, that's on them. Is it about winning, or is it about them?? Chances are however when this occurs, someone lower on the depth chart is one that transfers.
The problem is that they do not know who will come in to replace the grad transfer after a year. No guarantee that waiting a year will result in them starting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »

I think getting multiple one year rentals that may cause other players to become frustrated and transfer is a problem.  It's one thing to get a stop-gap that fills a hole on the roster for a year. 

^^^ can't wait to hear some of you flip when someone transfers

Yep.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:51:18 PM by #bansultan »

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2018, 09:59:00 PM »

Funny how some want to stay the course and be patient with our coach, yet don't have the same patience for our kids.

That said, full agree with your take.  We continue to talk about how "young" we are as a team.  This trend will continue if guys feel they are recruited over, don't like their role, or see their role diminished as a result of a grad transfer...all of Traci Carter, Duane Wilson, Haanif fall in this realm.

On the surface it sounds great - yea, get the best possible player/talent, and if the guys on the roster don't like it, tough.  Problem with that thinking is, we will perpetually be young and unbalanced in our classes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »
Funny how some want to stay the course and be patient with our coach, yet don't have the same patience for our kids.

That said, full agree with your take.  We continue to talk about how "young" we are as a team.  This trend will continue if guys feel they are recruited over, don't like their role, or see their role diminished as a result of a grad transfer...all of Traci Carter, Duane Wilson, Haanif fall in this realm.

On the surface it sounds great - yea, get the best possible player/talent, and if the guys on the roster don't like it, tough.  Problem with that thinking is, we will perpetually be young and unbalanced in our classes.

Serious question: Which of the recruits Wojo brought in would you have passed on so we at least theoretically could have kept Carter, Wilson and/or Cheatham?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2018, 10:25:15 PM »
Serious question: Which of the recruits Wojo brought in would you have passed on so we at least theoretically could have kept Carter, Wilson and/or Cheatham?

Do you find it at all ironic that you are a beacon of patience with our head coach, (saying we don't know what we have in him as a coach after 4 years), but have NO problem whatsoever with churning our kids?  AND you also lament that we are so "young?"

A grad transfer AT THIS POINT, on THIS roster, could be disruptive, and adversely affect the program bigger picture. 

It is unfortunate that Wojo could NOT sell Carter on staying.  When Traci signed there was no Markus, not even sure if there was Rowsey at that point either.  Would I trade Traci for either of those guys?  No.  But, sure as hell would have liked for Wojo to be able to have sold Traci the vision of redshirting this year and taking the reigns full time next year.

I was okay with Duane and Haanif leaving, as Sacar and Jamal are better/higher ceiling than Haanif.  Duane would not have had much of a role this year.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2018, 11:16:42 PM »
Not taking a grad transfer does not guarantee there are no transfers either.  Heck, Odartey Blankson transferred a month after being named a captain!  You just never know what kids are going to decide.

There's no guarantee that Elliott and Cain develop as hoped.

There's no guarantee that Marquette guards remain healthy and avoid a season derailing injury or two.

Wojo has to put forth the best team he can next year.  Worry about the year after when the time comes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2018, 11:26:42 PM »
Do you find it at all ironic that you are a beacon of patience with our head coach, (saying we don't know what we have in him as a coach after 4 years), but have NO problem whatsoever with churning our kids?  AND you also lament that we are so "young?"

A grad transfer AT THIS POINT, on THIS roster, could be disruptive, and adversely affect the program bigger picture. 

It is unfortunate that Wojo could NOT sell Carter on staying.  When Traci signed there was no Markus, not even sure if there was Rowsey at that point either.  Would I trade Traci for either of those guys?  No.  But, sure as hell would have liked for Wojo to be able to have sold Traci the vision of redshirting this year and taking the reigns full time next year.

I was okay with Duane and Haanif leaving, as Sacar and Jamal are better/higher ceiling than Haanif.  Duane would not have had much of a role this year.

So ... your answer to my question - Which of the recruits Wojo brought in would you have passed on so we at least theoretically could have kept Carter, Wilson and/or Cheatham? - is you wouldn't have passed on any of them. So you would have done the same thing Wojo did. But that doesn't stop you from taking shots at Wojo's method of building the team.

Also, please show proof that I have "lamented we are so young." Thanks.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »

While this idea works in theory, at some point experience wins out over talent.  This is why Kentucky does not win the National Championship every year.  Now I'm not saying that a Senior Sandy would have helped very much this year, or a Senior Traci would help very much next year, but I would be disappointed if of this years freshman class, at least 3 of the 4 spend all 4 (or 5 in Ike's case) years with the program.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »

I'll play the game here.  I would have passed on Eke to have retained Tracy.  Could have passed on Harry as well.  We have an overload of front court players which will lead to (and already has in the case of Harry) people leaving the program.  As for Hannif his ship is the one currently available for a Grad transfer.  If Hannif stays and we have Traci entering his junior year I'm perfectly comfortable with NOT having room for a Grad transfer in fact I wouldn't even want one.  Traci and Markus as the primary ball handlers with Hannif and Greg if someone is in foul trouble is a solid rotation.  Put those guys back on the team along with Joey and the existing cast and you have very solid team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
Well we could have had Harry AND Traci.  Keeping Traci would have cost us one of the three freshmen - Eke being the most obvious one to choose HOWEVER Greg took the last scholarship.  I would much rather have Greg than Traci.

Regardless I am not sure Traci is as good as some people think he is.  We will see.  But he turned the ball over a ton and wasn't that great defensively. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »
Jaylyn Patterson LSU PG
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3136216/jalyn-patterson

Grad transfer eligible?  I see three years of stats, but did he redshirt?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback