[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2018 Grad Transfer Thread, Updated 4/19/2018  (Read 176706 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
2018 Grad Transfer Thread, Updated 4/19/2018
« on: January 15, 2018, 11:25:18 AM »
Updating this for 4/19/2018. I am only including players Marquette has confirmed interest with. The original list of potential grad transfers was moved down to the 4th post of this thread. At the bottom of this thread will be relevant articles for those looking for more grad transfer info.

• PG Joseph Chartouny, 6'3", Fordham: kenpom / espn Chartouny is a big PG that competed in the A-10 with less than stellar advanced numbers but an impressive raw statline (12.2 ppg/5.6 rpg/4.6 apg). He's a great defender that has been among the national leaders in steals each of the past two seasons. The hope would be that he would improve his efficiency if he had better surrounding talent. His shooting stats took a dip last year, but that could be because Fordham lost their three best players from 2017, two of which left as grad transfers: Christian Sengfelder to Boise State and Antwoine Anderson to UConn. It may be worth noting that Sengfelder and Anderson both put up career bests in offensive efficiency after leaving Fordham. UPDATE: Chartouny visited Marquette on April 17. Louisville also has been mentioned as a possible destination.
  • SG Joe Cremo, 6'4", Albany: kenpom / espn This kid is an offensive beast. He ranked 15th in the country in offensive efficiency for players with 24+% usage, can score inside and out while also getting to the line and converting, and has a great raw line (17.8 ppg/4.1 rpg/3.8 apg). Defensively, he is the opposite. Cremo would likely fill the Rowsey role perfectly, putting up big numbers but allowing opponents to do the same. He's getting a lot of interest, including Duke.
  • PG David Nichols, 6'0", Albany: kenpom / espn Nichols committed to Florida State on his first official visit.
Paint Touches Free Agent Tracker

Grad Transfer Tracker
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:52:15 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

skianth16

• All American
Re: 2018 Grad Transfer Thread, 1/15/2018 Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »
I've seen a lot of talk about who would be a good grad transfer, but the lists seem to always be a bit too good to be true. Are these players that have indicated a strong desire to transfer, or are these just guys who are in a position to transfer due to graduation status? Happ, for example, while he may be eligible, I highly doubt will be a guy who wants to transfer. If he leaves UW it's got to be because he's going pro.

So if the above list is just guys who are eligible, are there any that have indicated that they plan to leave?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
Ahmed Hill is a RS-JR due to missing a year with injury. About as likely as Happ but worth listing just for the Scoopiness.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
Potential grad transfers.    Far too early for any of them to have indicated they are going to . 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »
Ahmed Hill is a RS-JR due to missing a year with injury. About as likely as Happ but worth listing just for the Scoopiness.

Would find that hilarious
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »
I'm sure some will say this is jumping the gun, but we missed on Grimes, have an open scholarship, and are ready to watch the last couple months of Rowsey's career. Not going to go into much detail, but here are some potential grad transfer point/combo guards in alphabetical order that could be on the market come April or May:

• Robert Cartwright, Stanford: kenpom/espn Not a great shooter, but a proven high-major distributor with size (6'2") and experience.
  • Jon Elmore, Marshall: kenpom/espn Redshirted at VMI before transferring. Currently 12th in the country in scoring at 22.7 ppg and 8th in assists at 7.3 apg. Trae Young is the only player in the top-15 in both categories. Great size (6'3") and is top-100 in both fouls conceded/40 minutes and fouls drawn/40 minutes. Really intriguing player.
  • Isaac Fleming, East Carolina: kenpom/espn Good raw numbers, terrible advanced stats this year. Showed more promise at Hawaii. Passing is his best attribute.
  • Ethan Happ, Wisconsin: kenpom/espn It would be fun, hilarious, and oh so satisfying. I'm keeping him on this list until the dream is over no matter what you say.
  • Ria'n Holland, Mercer: kenpom/espn YES PLEASE! Originally a Wichita State recruit, he looks like a little bit bigger Andrew Rowsey. 6'0", high-usage, great distributor, doesn't turn it over, can score at all three levels. Not necessarily a pure point, but he is a complete offensive player.
  • Paul Jackson, Eastern Michigan: kenpom/espn Doing a bit of everything at the mid-major level. In addition to distribution, does most of his work inside the arc, something this team could use more of.
  • Tayler Persons, Ball State: kenpom/espn Solidly built, has shown the ability to shoot in the past, great distributor. Not sure how he'd handle the speed of the Big East because he is built like a linebacker, though he did torch Notre Dame in a road upset.
  • Ahmaad Rorie, Montana: kenpom/espn Originally an Oregon recruit, has been great at Montana. Has the quickness to play at this level with more length than Rowsey (6'1").
  • Shawn Roundtree, Central Michigan: kenpom/espn Might be available, but I'm not convinced he's a high-major player.
  • Deshon Taylor, Fresno State: kenpom/espn Does a bit of everything, and scores a ton, but is definitely more a combo than a true point. Though on this team, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • Devin Watson, San Diego State: kenpom/espn Raw numbers are down since transferring from San Francisco, but his efficiency is up.
  • Isaiah Wright, San Diego: kenpom/espn Originally a Utah recruit, has good size (6'2"), scores at all three levels, and distributes well. Would be near the top of my list.
If anyone has other names, let me know and I'll add them. If any of the above links are wrong, let me know and I'll correct them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:16:21 PM by brewcity77 »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 12:47:37 PM »
I've seen a lot of talk about who would be a good grad transfer, but the lists seem to always be a bit too good to be true. Are these players that have indicated a strong desire to transfer, or are these just guys who are in a position to transfer due to graduation status? Happ, for example, while he may be eligible, I highly doubt will be a guy who wants to transfer. If he leaves UW it's got to be because he's going pro.

So if the above list is just guys who are eligible, are there any that have indicated that they plan to leave?

We don't know the toll the season takes on a high caliber player like Happ.  Does he want to go through a season like this again?  Does he want to be on a bubble team his last year of college or perhaps he wants to go to a top ten team and make a run.  There are a lot of different reasons players leave.  I don't have a great feel of what kind of 5th year player Happ wants to be.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
If Happ comes out and decides to transfer, he would almost assuredly be the most sought after transfer on the market.  He's the kind of player previous MU squads would have needed to put them over the top, and imagine there's gonna be a guard-heavy top 25 team looking to make the leap that will gobble him up.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 01:25:40 PM »
Don't underestimate the impact the 2018 freshman class could have on Happ as well. Most of the top bigs are committed in a very thin big man class. Both Duke and Kentucky could be looking for a player like Happ.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
Being hapless this year might make the Badgers Happ-less next year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
Ethan and Joey are from the same AAU team

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
Being hapless this year might make the Badgers Happ-less next year.

Slow clap.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
You could probably add Gavin Schilling from Michigan State. He has a Big East style body and approach.

He went to Loyola Academy as a freshman so he understands what the Jesuit School system is all about. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
You could probably add Gavin Schilling from Michigan State. He has a Big East style body and approach.

He went to Loyola Academy as a freshman so he understands what the Jesuit School system is all about.
Marquette needs guards, not bigs.  Seems weird to say, but the last thing MU needs is more size up front.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:55:24 PM by tower912 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 01:54:28 PM »
I'm only including guards that fit the point/combo role. Happ plays like a point center, so he's the exception.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
Ethan and Joey are from the same AAU team

Don't think they ever played with one another though.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 03:30:07 PM »

• Robert Cartwright, Stanford: kenpom/espn Not a great shooter, but a proven high-major distributor with size (6'2") and experience. .881 pppa,
     42nd percentile

• Jon Elmore, Marshall: kenpom/espn Redshirted at VMI before transferring. Currently 12th in the country in scoring at 22.7 ppg and 8th in assists at 7.3 apg. Trae Young is the only player in the top-15 in both categories. Great size (6'3") and is top-100 in both fouls conceded/40 minutes and fouls drawn/40 minutes. Really intriguing player. .873 pppa 45th percentile
  • Isaac Fleming, East Carolina: kenpom/espn Good raw numbers, terrible advanced stats this year. Showed more promise at Hawaii. Passing is his best attribute. .847 pppa 51st percentile
  • Ethan Happ, Wisconsin: kenpom/espn It would be fun, hilarious, and oh so satisfying. I'm keeping him on this list until the dream is over no matter what you say. .857 pppa 48th percentile
  • Ria'n Holland, Mercer: kenpom/espn YES PLEASE! Originally a Wichita State recruit, he looks like a little bit bigger Andrew Rowsey. 6'0", high-usage, great distributor, doesn't turn it over, can score at all three levels. Not necessarily a pure point, but he is a complete offensive player. .906 pppa 36th percentile
  • Paul Jackson, Eastern Michigan: kenpom/espn Doing a bit of everything at the mid-major level. In addition to distribution, does most of his work inside the arc, something this team could use more of. .702 pppa 83rd percentile
  • Tayler Persons, Ball State: kenpom/espn Solidly built, has shown the ability to shoot in the past, great distributor. Not sure how he'd handle the speed of the Big East because he is built like a linebacker, though he did torch Notre Dame in a road upset. .917 pppa 33rd percentile
  • Ahmaad Rorie, Montana: kenpom/espn Originally an Oregon recruit, has been great at Montana. Has the quickness to play at this level with more length than Rowsey (6'1"). .735 pppa 77th percentile
  • Shawn Roundtree, Central Michigan: kenpom/espn Might be available, but I'm not convinced he's a high-major player. .710 pppa 81st percentile
  • Deshon Taylor, Fresno State: kenpom/espn Does a bit of everything, and scores a ton, but is definitely more a combo than a true point. Though on this team, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. .877 pppa 43rd percentile
  • Devin Watson, San Diego State: kenpom/espn Raw numbers are down since transferring from San Francisco, but his efficiency is up. .937 pppa 29th percentile
  • Isaiah Wright, San Diego: kenpom/espn Originally a Utah recruit, has good size (6'2"), scores at all three levels, and distributes well. Would be near the top of my list. .854 pppa 49th percentile
If anyone has other names, let me know and I'll add them. If any of the above links are wrong, let me know and I'll correct them.

I added the points per possession allowed for each player this season as well as where that number ranks in comparison to the rest of Division 1. After watching what passes for defense here the past two seasons I would like to have a defensive stopper running the point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »
Looking at the defensive numbers, Ahmaad Rorie looks even more impressive. I hope Stan has some connection there.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 03:51:17 PM »
TAMU that is a great advanced stat of the ppp allowed.  Any chance you could post the top Big East players in this metric?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
In addition to grad transfer, there may be some hidden gems in D2. DePaul found one in Max Struss.  Michigan found one in Duncan Robinson who transferred from D3 Williams. 

I realize these are long shots, but it is still worth scouting around . You never know what you may find.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:51:07 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 07:19:53 PM »
Don't think they ever played with one another though.

I don't think they did either, but at least the grassy knoll connection is there.  I think Happ goes pro if anything but he should have done that after last season. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2018 Grad Transfer Thread, 2/15/2018 Edition
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »
Took a look for some more guards. Here's some more eligible names from higher conferences. Hoping TAMU can take a look at their defensive numbers. Most may be unrealistic, but some intriguing options if any did decide to transfer.

• Marcquise Reed, Clemson: kenpom / ESPN A combo guard that can shoot, distribute, and rebound. Seems unlikely the leading scorer on a top-15 team will transfer again, however.
  • Shelton Mitchell, Clemson: kenpom / ESPN The other half of Clemson's backcourt. More of a true point guard and has size (6'3"). More apt to pass than shoot.
  • Alex Robinson, TCU: kenpom / ESPN Robinson isn't as efficient as you'd like, but he is definitely pass first. The other concern is TCU isn't a good defensive team.
  • Tavarius Shine, Oklahoma State: kenpom / ESPN Great size at 6'6", but has never really been a true point guard. Some injury issues, but could be intriguing as a secondary ball-handler.
  • Kory Holden, South Carolina: kenpom / ESPN Was great at Delaware, but hasn't been able to find minutes at USC. I'd guess if he transfers, it will be to a mid-major.
  • James Palmer, Nebraska: kenpom / ESPN More of a combo 2/3, but has the ball in his hands a lot and is the best player on Ed Morrow's old team. Bit player at Miami who found his footing in the Big 10.
  • Cane Broome, Cincinnati: kenpom / ESPN Broome transferred from Sacred Heart and seems unlikely to transfer, but is a great distributor playing for a great defensive team. Good shooter and distributor who is pass-first. There are numerous younger guards behind him and Cincy's only 2018 commit is a freshman PG.
  • BJ Taylor, UCF: kenpom / ESPN Taylor missed much of this season but has averaged double-digit scoring every year while tallying 27 assists to just 12 turnovers in his 8 games since returning this year. Good size at 6'2". Not sure he'd want to leave his hometown team, but could be an interesting option if he wants to step it up a level.

forgetful

• All American
Re: 2018 Grad Transfer Thread, Updated 2/15/2018
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
Two other possibilities:

Lance Tejada (Lehigh):  Started at ECU.  Stats improved dramatically after transfer.  Averaging 15.6 ppg and 49% from 3 (74-151).  Played PG in high school.  Combo guard now. Played great against top competition; 19 points against USC and 22 against UVA (shot 5-9 from 3 and 8-14 from the floor against a top defensive squad).

Malik Marquetti (Louisianna Ragin Cajuns)...strictly because of his name.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
How soon after the end of the season do players usually announce their intent to grad-transfer?  Something that happens in April/May, or more so over the summer?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »
How soon after the end of the season do players usually announce their intent to grad-transfer?  Something that happens in April/May, or more so over the summer?

Sometimes as soon as March, but I think most announce by the beginning of May. There are exceptions in both directions, but you probably have 95% of the list in May.

feedback