collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Interesting Conversation with former Kentucky guard Tony Delk  (Read 1033 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
I had the opportunity to meet Tony at the gym where my family has a membership.  I was working with my 10-year old son on some shooting drills and in walks who I thought looked like Tony Delk.  For any that don't remember, he was a sophomore on the Kentucky team MU beat in the 1994 tournament to make the Sweet 16.  He also had a long journeyman NBA career. 

Anyway, he made a comment about my son and his excellent shooting form and we struck up a conversation.  Turns out he just started a youth basketball training program at the gym.  I was wearing a Marquette sweatshirt and he we got to talking and he shared some of his thoughts on that Sweet 16 game and Marquette program in general.

- Admitted that Kentucky didn't really know anything about Marquette and probably overlooked us due to what would have been a Duke match up in Sweet 16.  Didn't sound like he was making excuses, just an honest observation.

- Was very complimentary of Tony Miler's performance in that game.  Said he made the press completely ineffectual and admitted they probably should have just called it off.  Also remembered Damon Key. 

- Knows Kevin O'Neill a little bit and said nice things about him.

- Thinks Wojo will make MU a top tier program

- Brought up Markus' 52 point game and asked if there was a chance he'd leave early.  I said possible, but doubtful due to size and poor defensive abilities.

Was a very interesting conversation and thought worth sharing.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Interesting Conversation with former Kentucky guard Tony Delk
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:06:56 PM »
I had the opportunity to meet Tony at the gym where my family has a membership.  I was working with my 10-year old son on some shooting drills and in walks who I thought looked like Tony Delk.  For any that don't remember, he was a sophomore on the Kentucky team MU beat in the 1994 tournament to make the Sweet 16.  He also had a long journeyman NBA career. 

Anyway, he made a comment about my son and his excellent shooting form and we struck up a conversation.  Turns out he just started a youth basketball training program at the gym.  I was wearing a Marquette sweatshirt and he we got to talking and he shared some of his thoughts on that Sweet 16 game and Marquette program in general.

- Admitted that Kentucky didn't really know anything about Marquette and probably overlooked us due to what would have been a Duke match up in Sweet 16.  Didn't sound like he was making excuses, just an honest observation.

- Was very complimentary of Tony Miler's performance in that game.  Said he made the press completely ineffectual and admitted they probably should have just called it off.  Also remembered Damon Key. 

- Knows Kevin O'Neill a little bit and said nice things about him.

- Thinks Wojo will make MU a top tier program

- Brought up Markus' 52 point game and asked if there was a chance he'd leave early.  I said possible, but doubtful due to size and poor defensive abilities.

Was a very interesting conversation and thought worth sharing.

That was interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Three questions:

• How does he feel about Wojo's timeouts?
  • Does he think free throws matta?
  • Arby's Sauce or Horsey Sauce?

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 04:27:52 PM »
Did KO teach him any new words?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »
That was interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Three questions:

• How does he feel about Wojo's timeouts?
  • Does he think free throws matta?
  • Arby's Sauce or Horsey Sauce?
Damn.  Somehow I forgot to ask the really important questions!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »
Are the "benefits" really better at Kentucky compared to Louisville?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:16:11 PM »
Are the "benefits" really better at Kentucky compared to Louisville?

Lousville in 1994 is waaaaay different from Louisville in 2017.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback