[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 116777 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
Enjoyed the Deadwood movie.

It wasn't as good as the show -- a bit too much wrapped up with a bow, and sealed with a kiss -- and it wasn't even the best program I saw on HBO in the last week (Chernobyl was), but I am glad I watched it. Very entertaining.

Agree w all this; fun to see those characters and hear the crass poetry one more time.  My only real complaint was the new character who sort of comes in out of nowhere and gets way too much screen time - I get the purpose, but she needed more time to develop in order to really work-hard to do that in 2 hours.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2019, 11:20:44 AM »
Is Deadwood worth going back and watching? Never watched it, always heard good things but I've never had an HBO subscription, probably never will unless Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg FINALLY get around to doing the Band of Brothers - 8th Air Force series that's been talked about/rumored for like 6 years.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »
Is Deadwood worth going back and watching? Never watched it, always heard good things but I've never had an HBO subscription, probably never will unless Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg FINALLY get around to doing the Band of Brothers - 8th Air Force series that's been talked about/rumored for like 6 years.

I do the Amazon 7-Day Trial every couple of months. Started on Friday, got caught up on Chernobyl and through most of Barry season 2. I'll hopefully complete those two and the last season of Crashing before cancelling on Friday.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »
Previous post got me thinking, I now have what I think is a fun little challenge/game for those in this thread.

My wife is scheduled to have our second kid on the 12th (if the woman is cool with it, scheduled C-Sections are the best) and I will have two weeks of paternity (will have two more weeks later in the year but more on that in a bit) to do the parenting thing while not working. Our son will be in daycare M-F as is typical to keep things as normal for him as possible, plus let us figure out this new born thing all over again.

So having said all that, we'll have 7 days while we're both off that we can watch whatever during the day when our son is at daycare. So what should be on the binge list? Here are the perimeters: Has to be on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu with Ads. It can't be too Sci-fi cause my wife won't go for it. Can't be some huge morality narrative because I don't care, just want to be entertained not preached at.

Already on the list is Season 5 of Breaking Bad (I know, I know). Might advocate for something like Deadwood. Going to try to talk the wife into Catch-22 on Hulu. I'd welcome any other thoughts.

Side challenge, in September I'll have another two weeks off when my wife goes back to work where I'll hang with the daughter. Obviously going to run around town and do fun stuff that's easy to take a 3 month old to but there be some downtime during the week days, what shows would you recommend? Sci-fi is definitely in play (love shows like The Expanse and the BSG re-make, etc). Will have 10 days where I can fit in a show or two. Don't say GoT, have zero interest, I don't do dragons/fantasy.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
I do the Amazon 7-Day Trial every couple of months. Started on Friday, got caught up on Chernobyl and through most of Barry season 2. I'll hopefully complete those two and the last season of Crashing before cancelling on Friday.

Interesting

MU82

• All American
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »

Deadwood is one of the more unique great shows HBO has ever aired. As Lloyds alluded to, there is a Shakespearean poetry feel to much (if not most) of the dialogue. It also is extremely profanity-filled and violent, and sexual abuse is prevalent. Aside from the cursing, most of the bad stuff is central to the plot lines and therefore not gratuitous IMHO, but these are reasons many have not liked the show.

The very talented Ian McShane as Swearengen is one of the great characters in TV history, IMHO, and there are many more fine acting performances, too. But again, it's not for everybody.

If you do decide to give it a try, watch at least 3 episodes before you decide if it is or isn't for you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2019, 11:58:20 AM »
Agree w all this; fun to see those characters and hear the crass poetry one more time.  My only real complaint was the new character who sort of comes in out of nowhere and gets way too much screen time - I get the purpose, but she needed more time to develop in order to really work-hard to do that in 2 hours.

Agree about her, LL. I guess they put her in there mainly so Trixie can deliver the message to her that she did, but otherwise there wasn't much use for her character.

A lot of air time for Trixie, BTW. Her outstanding work in Ray Donovan and some other projects no doubt lifted her profile in the eyes of Milch and HBO. She was very good, as always.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
Previous post got me thinking, I now have what I think is a fun little challenge/game for those in this thread.

My wife is scheduled to have our second kid on the 12th (if the woman is cool with it, scheduled C-Sections are the best) and I will have two weeks of paternity (will have two more weeks later in the year but more on that in a bit) to do the parenting thing while not working. Our son will be in daycare M-F as is typical to keep things as normal for him as possible, plus let us figure out this new born thing all over again.

So having said all that, we'll have 7 days while we're both off that we can watch whatever during the day when our son is at daycare. So what should be on the binge list? Here are the perimeters: Has to be on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu with Ads. It can't be too Sci-fi cause my wife won't go for it. Can't be some huge morality narrative because I don't care, just want to be entertained not preached at.

Already on the list is Season 5 of Breaking Bad (I know, I know). Might advocate for something like Deadwood. Going to try to talk the wife into Catch-22 on Hulu. I'd welcome any other thoughts.

Side challenge, in September I'll have another two weeks off when my wife goes back to work where I'll hang with the daughter. Obviously going to run around town and do fun stuff that's easy to take a 3 month old to but there be some downtime during the week days, what shows would you recommend? Sci-fi is definitely in play (love shows like The Expanse and the BSG re-make, etc). Will have 10 days where I can fit in a show or two. Don't say GoT, have zero interest, I don't do dragons/fantasy.

If you're finishing Breaking Bad I would suggest Better Call Saul. I am a big fan of the show.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »

Try Animal Kingdom on Amazon. Very entertaining crime/family dynamics show.
3rd season just came out so there is enough to last for a week or so bingeing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »
Interesting

I think I just answered your maternity question...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
I think I just answered your maternity question...

You most definitely did

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2019, 02:06:25 PM »
That’s the new David Tennant one correct? Previews looked good.

Yes it is, and he's spectacular in it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2019, 04:37:25 PM »
Interesting statement.  Not sure I agree or disagree.  I enjoyed Dr. Farmer’s Soviet Poli Sci class at MU and wish he was still around to opine on that.  Chernobyl has been interesting to watch, even with the large latitudes the director has taken with the story (for example, the female scientist interviewing the victims in the hospital is an imaginary character).  The costs to clean up were enormous and remain so, but their economy was already in tatters for a number of other reasons.  Maybe it was the final straw to break the back of the camel?

She’s basically a composite of multiple female physicists. I guess it was easier to combine them all into one fir a 5 part series?

It was more than the cost too. It was the straw that broke the camel’s back in terms of the public finally realizing they couldn’t trust their government with the Politboro’s response to the danger to the public.  Gorbachev mention Chernobyl as bring the biggest contributor to the fall.

As Mikhail Gorbachev, the last Soviet leader, reflected years later, the meltdown, "even more than my launch of perestroika [restructuring], was perhaps the real cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union". It was a catalyst for glasnost, the opening up of the media.

https://www.afr.com/business/energy/nuclear-energy/chernobyl-disaster-sparked-end-of-soviet-union-20160429-gohwxi
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2019, 06:02:02 PM »
No one thing brought down the Soviet Union. Chernobyl certainly exposed the propagandist nature of the Politburo and allowed exposure of the dire fiscal state of the empire. A fiscal state arrived thanks to things like the space race, the arms race, and Chernobyl

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »
Below Deck Med is back tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi, Hannah!!!!!!!  :-* :-* :-*
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #215 on: June 04, 2019, 12:05:48 PM »
Below Deck Med is back tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi, Hannah!!!!!!!  :-* :-* :-*

I hope the chef stays that awful all season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #216 on: June 04, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »
She’s basically a composite of multiple female physicists. I guess it was easier to combine them all into one fir a 5 part series?

I believe that in the postscript they showed after the final scene, it said that she represented all of the nuclear physicists who rallied to get the USSR to make their nuclear plants safer, not just the females.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #217 on: June 04, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »
Barry S2 - incredible. There’s three brilliant episodes, the rest are good. NoHo Hank cannot be understated enough, Winkler acted his ass off. Hader directed those three episodes as well, even better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2019, 11:28:47 PM »
Just watched first 2 episodes of Dead to Me. Will come back for more. My wife and I liked it more than Fleabag; we didn't hate that but expected to like it more than we did.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2019, 11:32:53 AM »
Just watched first 2 episodes of Dead to Me. Will come back for more. My wife and I liked it more than Fleabag; we didn't hate that but expected to like it more than we did.

It picks up, the first few are very foundational.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2019, 10:20:53 PM »
It picks up, the first few are very foundational.

You're talking about Fleabag, yes?

Also ...

Watched season opener to Handmaid's Tale tonight. Typically well done.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
I hope the chef stays that awful all season.

I eat some nasty stuff, but those nachos.... nah.

burgers and tacos.. mmm, what's next? She's crazy.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #222 on: June 06, 2019, 11:09:20 AM »
I eat some nasty stuff, but those nachos.... nah.

burgers and tacos.. mmm, what's next? She's crazy.

She's Russian, you expected sanity? 100% she's the one fired in this season on previews because the 3rd stew is also a chef.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
I'm 3/4 of the way through "When They See Us." I'd seen Ken Burns' documentary in 2012 so I had significant knowledge of the case but this does more to focus on the families of the wrongly accused young men. Very well done show.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
2019 Season premieres tonight on DSC at 7:00pm.  Fulfill your lust for metal on metal carnage and teach your kids the importance of STEM all in just under 60 minutes. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iR4DpbY0JU0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iR4DpbY0JU0</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.