[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lunardi just tweeted Marquette as "next four out"  (Read 38946 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Lunardi just tweeted Marquette as "next four out"
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »
Seton Hall, Butler, and Creighton are not locks.  There is no "fight for a last spot."  It's friggin January 3.  We're 2 games into conference play.  The Big East could get 6.  Or it could get 8.  Or it could get 5.  Lot of ball game left.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:39 PM »
16 games to go.    It will sort itself out.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 09:07:05 PM »
Crap ... that's about the 5th time we've had to cancel the rest of the season already!
Jock, Tower and MU82 - wow, you are missing even a remedial understanding of how basketball seasons play out I guess. It's the only way to comprehend those 3 statements.

Let's start really slowly - and I apologize for starting with the assumption that anyone who had watched basketball before would understand why it is important to know where you stand in relation to an invite to the NCAA tournament.

If you are 5 to 8 spots out of the tournament based on your games so far, then it means you are close and games are really important because every game moves you higher in relation to the other teams, lower, or you could stay about the same.

So try to follow this next step - getting a big win at Providence tonight means we move closer. Let's say it moved us from the next four out to the first four out. Then if we have a good stretch over the next few games - then we could move up further and be in position to make the tournament. And this will play out all year.

Saying where we stand today is irrelevent would mean it wouldn't matter if we were 50 spots out of  the tournament today or a projected no 1 seed.  If that statement were true, the today's no. 1 seeds, grambling and Marquette would all be in the same boat - go .500 the rest of the way and they'd all have the same chance at the tournament because where they are now is irrelevent. But just so you know, it that happened, Nova would make the tournament, grambling would not and Marquette might - so today's position is not irrelevant.

That is also why it would not make sense to cancel the rest of the season when you learned you were 5-8 spots out of a bid heading into the tournament game.

I hope this basic understanding of how basketball seasons play out will help you enjoy the rest of the season more with the full understanding that the teams chances will continue to improve or diminish with each game.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:12:01 PM by auburnmarquette »
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
Longest teal ever.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Brother Auburn, I think they were just poking fun at those that like to declare that we suck or are doomed at the first sign of trouble. No need to insult people's intelligence.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

source?

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 12:03:33 AM »
If it’s 2019, I’ll probably have a couple spare bedrooms. Just gotta get the adult kids out by then...

Dibs. I used to work at two men and a truck so....willing to help with the kids situation if needed.

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
Bracketology updated today... still listed as Next 4 Out for now

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »
He currently has Virginia the #8 ranked team in the country (12-1) as next four out. Ill take what he says worth a grain of salt.

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
He currently has Virginia the #8 ranked team in the country (12-1) as next four out. Ill take what he says worth a grain of salt.

Supposed to be Va. Tech.  In the actual bracket he has Virginia as a 2 seed.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »
Jock, Tower and MU82 - wow, you are missing even a remedial understanding of how basketball seasons play out I guess. It's the only way to comprehend those 3 statements.

Let's start really slowly - and I apologize for starting with the assumption that anyone who had watched basketball before would understand why it is important to know where you stand in relation to an invite to the NCAA tournament.

If you are 5 to 8 spots out of the tournament based on your games so far, then it means you are close and games are really important because every game moves you higher in relation to the other teams, lower, or you could stay about the same.

So try to follow this next step - getting a big win at Providence tonight means we move closer. Let's say it moved us from the next four out to the first four out. Then if we have a good stretch over the next few games - then we could move up further and be in position to make the tournament. And this will play out all year.

Saying where we stand today is irrelevent would mean it wouldn't matter if we were 50 spots out of  the tournament today or a projected no 1 seed.  If that statement were true, the today's no. 1 seeds, grambling and Marquette would all be in the same boat - go .500 the rest of the way and they'd all have the same chance at the tournament because where they are now is irrelevent. But just so you know, it that happened, Nova would make the tournament, grambling would not and Marquette might - so today's position is not irrelevant.

That is also why it would not make sense to cancel the rest of the season when you learned you were 5-8 spots out of a bid heading into the tournament game.

I hope this basic understanding of how basketball seasons play out will help you enjoy the rest of the season more with the full understanding that the teams chances will continue to improve or diminish with each game.
Holy crap, you should see your doctor about your severe humor deficiency/excess pomposity issue, he may be able to help.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
Bracketology updated today... still listed as Next 4 Out for now

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Forgive my ignorance, but bracketology is an "if the season ended today" thing, yes? If so, I would imagine that mid major teams tend to gradually trend down because losing a couple of games in those weaker conferences hurts them more than playing .500+ ball in the major conferences?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
Puds, no kidding?  ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

muguru

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
Palm has MU as a 10 seed, and the highest 10 seed at that...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 09:24:27 PM »

Wow!

You're right. Because if only we had a "remedial understanding" we could do something to assure that our beloved Warriors make it into the tournament.

This is hilarious stuff. You WERE trying to be hilarious, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 09:27:23 PM »

Wait, so you're saying we still have a chance?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 09:32:46 PM »
Holy crap, you should see your doctor about your severe humor deficiency/excess pomposity issue, he may be able to help.

Remember he used to work for Breitbart so...

MuMark

• All American

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »
Now last four in...
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
Wait.  I'm confused.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »
We're in.  Kneel down on the ball for the rest of the season.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 10:17:10 PM »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »

I guess we can turn off 'scoop for the rest the year...oh wait you and the overlords already tried that  ;)
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2018, 12:14:42 PM »

damn the falcons could have used insight like this last year... :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »
damn the falcons could have used insight like this last year... :)

Amen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter