collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Christian proselytizing to public school basketball players  (Read 19173 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Christian proselytizing to public school basketball players
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2018, 03:29:57 PM »
And some for brain dead conservatives.    So we have the name calling covered.   

And we need them all to make the world go round.

Reminds me of the most underappreciated soliloquy of the modern era.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/32iCWzpDpKs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/32iCWzpDpKs</a>

[Disclaimer: Language NSFW]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
You are presuming that teachers in all subjects are teaching left wing politics to our kids.

Simply untrue. You know that. The vast majority of teachers never mention politics unless that is the subject they are teaching.

I never said "all subjects". I specifically said the arts and soft sciences - political science, history, philosophy, sociology, anthropology, women's studies, theology, etc.. You cannot possibly be naive enough to believe that teachers in these subject don't bring their world view/biases to the classroom.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2018, 05:08:41 PM »
You cannot possibly be naive enough to believe that teachers in these subject don't bring their world view/biases to the classroom.

Everyone brings their world view/biases everywhere they go.
But from my college experience - and that of everyone who's discussed their experiences in this thread - faculty were professional, fair and open to all viewpoints. This includes those faculty members who weren't shy about sharing their world view. 

Why do you find it impossible to believe that a person can't both have a point of view and be professional?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/07/health/millennials-conservative-generations/index.html

Here's one article that disagrees, at least in part. I agree that the arc of history favors the acceptance of equal rights for all. But that's something that needn't break down on a liberal/conservative basis. True disagreement between liberals and conservatives stems from views on topics like the role of government in her citizens lives. In that area, at least, it appears millennials at 20 may be more conservative than baby boomers or Xers at a similar age.

I don't disagree with this actually. But fair or not, liberals have been associated with acceptance of equal rights for all and conservatives have been associated with limiting equal rights for some. I would guess that very few vote on things like what role the government plays and vote instead on specific issues that are important to them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2018, 09:02:01 AM »
I don't disagree with this actually. But fair or not, liberals have been associated with acceptance of equal rights for all and conservatives have been associated with limiting equal rights for some. I would guess that very few vote on things like what role the government plays and vote instead on specific issues that are important to them.
Liberals have been associated with preferential rights for favored classes . Conservatives have been associated with equal rights for all.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:18:59 AM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »
Liberals have been Associates with preferential rights for favored classes . Conservatives have been Associates with equal rights for all.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2018, 10:12:30 AM »
Teal, right?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »
Liberals have been associated with preferential rights for favored classes . Conservatives have been associated with equal rights for all.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »
i've often wondered what makes a person, liberal-moderate-conservative.  familial, educational, geographic, etc.  the only thing that i can think is that some are just wired differently. some just don't know what/why they believe in certain things.  some rely on "how it feels", some are very factual.  i don't know-a left/right brain thing?

my whole family is conservative, except for the 2nd youngest.  he's as liberal as we are conservative. a madison educated pharmacist, very bright lil guy, whom i love like a brother.  we can have pretty civil discussions.  when it starts to cross the line, we both just laugh at each other.  if ya can't laugh at yourself, it's time to go home, eyn'er? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2018, 05:38:05 PM »
Here are some very fine conservative people standing up for equal rights for all
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
Here are some very fine conservative people standing up for equal rights for all

Does /\ /\ /\ count as Godwinning a thread, or do the nazis actually have to be the German flavor?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
Does /\ /\ /\ count as Godwinning a thread, or do the nazis actually have to be the German flavor?

that would be discrimination, ehhyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »
Y'all would have been proud of me tonight.

The HS team I asst coach played a big conference game. Some kid who attended our school and played sports died unexpectedly a couple years ago. His parents have set up some college scholarship fund in his name and tonight's game was dedicated to his memory (and served as a fund-raiser).

As part of the festivities, the girls wore tie-dye warmup t-shirts with a likeness of the kid on it, and us coaches wore them all game.

The likeness of the kid included an angel's halo over his head - in other words, Jimmy was a living angel once upon a time, but he is now in heaven, smiling down on all of us.

A real pain-in-the-arse atheist never would have worn that t-shirt. I took it for what it was, an opportunity to raise money for what seemed like a good cause, and wore my t-shirt without causing a stir.

Oh ... we beat our archrivals by 1 point to all but clinch the regular-season conference title. We're 19-1, and ranked #1 in the region (#2 in the state).

Maybe Jimmy was smiling down on us. Then again, we blew most of a 12-point lead down the stretch, so maybe Jimmy was too busy canoodlin' a lady angel to give a rat's rump about our game!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »

The HS team I asst coach played a big conference game. Some kid who attended our school and played sports died unexpectedly a couple years ago. His parents have set up some college scholarship fund in his name and tonight's game was dedicated to his memory (and served as a fund-raiser).

As part of the festivities, the girls wore tie-dye warmup t-shirts with a likeness of the kid on it, and us coaches wore them all game.

The likeness of the kid included an angel's halo over his head - in other words, Jimmy was a living angel once upon a time, but he is now in heaven, smiling down on all of us.

A real pain-in-the-arse atheist never would have worn that t-shirt. I took it for what it was, an opportunity to raise money for what seemed like a good cause, and wore my t-shirt without causing a stir.

Oh ... we beat our archrivals by 1 point to all but clinch the regular-season conference title. We're 19-1, and ranked #1 in the region (#2 in the state).

Maybe Jimmy was smiling down on us. Then again, we blew most of a 12-point lead down the stretch, so maybe Jimmy was too busy canoodlin' a lady angel to give a rat's rump about our game!

Well done, Mike - on all fronts!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2018, 10:29:07 PM »

Your face should be on the team’s next shirts, no doubt.

Honestly, disturbing. I’m happy for your team’s success but the weird/fake nod to Christianity is at best sickening. Hope you like it hot!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2018, 12:05:35 AM »
Your face should be on the team’s next shirts, no doubt.

Honestly, disturbing. I’m happy for your team’s success but the weird/fake nod to Christianity is at best sickening. Hope you like it hot!

Interesting take.

I certainly would have no issue choosing which of the two of you had higher moral standards. (Hint: he lives down South).

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2018, 12:34:30 AM »

I have no problem with a family giving out a scholarship that revokes around faith. It's where an organization tries to do it to the public I have a problem.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2018, 01:42:29 AM »
Tell us about your one loss.  Did you lose on a Hail Mary shot?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »

Honestly, disturbing.

Well, he hasn't called for people he disagrees with to be arrested yet.   Now THAT would be disturbing.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »
Tell us about your one loss.  Did you lose on a Hail Mary shot?

Nope.

We were playing in a Thanksgiving event (not a tournament - each team played 2 games) and went up against a good private-school team with a couple of D1 players.

It was a close game the entire way, and we just didn't shoot well the whole game. Missed a ton of layups, went something like 4-for-15 from the FT line. We had the ball in the closing seconds but didn't get off a good shot.

The day after that 56-54 loss, we beat the team that had been ranked No. 1, which started us on the 16-game winning streak that is still active - although just barely.

Last night's opponent let us stall for almost a minute with a 3-point lead before finally fouling us with 9 seconds left. After we missed the FT, they went down and didn't even try to shoot a 3. They hit an open layup - our girls smartly stepped out of the way - at the buzzer. So that was either some very bad coaching or just some teenage kids not following instructions. I don't keep the book, so I don't know if they had a timeout left or not. Very exciting game, though!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2018, 09:39:37 AM »

It was a close game the entire way, and we just didn't shoot well the whole game. Missed a ton of layups, went something like 4-for-15 from the FT line. We had the ball in the closing seconds but didn't get off a good shot.

Last night's opponent let us stall for almost a minute with a 3-point lead before finally fouling us with 9 seconds left. After we missed the FT,

I know #free throws no matta but 'cmon, Mike! Coach 'em up!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

Thank God there is no Scoop Jr. Board...

All kidding aside, I love these updates.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »

At the end of practice Thursday, coach made each girl shoot a FT. If she made it, no running. If she missed it, everybody had to do a full-court sprint, there and back. The 12 girls combined to make 7, so they had to do 5 sprints. He then surprised me by tossing me the ball and saying, "OK, Coach, make a free throw." I hadn't shot a basketball in a month, and promptly - and embarrassingly - shot an airball. Everybody ran, and I ran an extra sprint because I deserved the self-imposed punishment! The other assistant, a former college player, swished hers. But the coach bricked his off the backboard (and he's a really good shooter).

So the coaches (especially yours truly) really need to practice FTs!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2018, 12:19:19 PM »
Athletes In Action, anyone remember those exhibition games?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »
Thank God there is no Scoop Jr. Board...

All kidding aside, I love these updates.

Now. Now. No Christian proselytizing.