'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 02:18:09 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How did MU's OOC season compare to your expectations?

Better
20 (12%)
Worse
10 (6%)
About as expected
131 (78.4%)
Wait, isn't this just clickbait?
6 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Voting closed: December 27, 2017, 07:07:52 AM

Author Topic: OOC results vs. expectations  (Read 6475 times)

tower912

• All American
OOC results vs. expectations
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:07:52 AM »
Pre-season is over.   The Big East awaits.   Is the team better, worse, or approximately what you expected?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: OOC results vs. expectations
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:10:17 AM »
As Expected. In the moment I think we could be 10-2 but I went into the season expecting three losses
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 07:31:05 AM »
Georgia would have been nice.
Loved the Wisc beat down.
As Brew stated, getting past VCU, and therefore games vs WSU and LSU, was the biggest win of the non-con schedule.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »
I expected 9-3 but it's slightly worse than expected.  I thought we would get Michigan in the third round.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
The freshmen have stepped up.   Wojo has managed them well.   Haanif leaving hurt.   IMO, if he stays, MU beats UGA.   Sam is developing nicely.    A little too 3 reliant, but MU does have shooters.    I am not sure if MU is going to be able to shoot 3's at the same level in league play.    The defense has improved during the season, but the last few teams have not run a lot of high pick and roll.    Froling is going to contribute during the conference.   It will be nice to have 3 guys with the size to defend Delgado, etc.   
     IMO, MU held serve in the pre-season.   The team moves the ball well, shares it, shoots it.    I worry about the physicality of league play.    Guards are small, Elliott and Cain are so skinny, and every time I see Rowsey or Howard hit the floor, I flinch.     With all things considered, slightly better.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »
Bump the game by game prediction thread... might be a few of us right on the money...
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »
9-3 is fine and about what I expected. Let us not forget however that we almost ruined our season against EIU.

On to the gauntlet.  I really believe we're capable of 10+ wins.  On any given day we can beat anyone because we might be the best 3 point shooting team ever.  But when the shots aren't falling, the back-up plans aren't great.  But seeing Theo evolve into a true rim protector is a step in the right direction.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »

Well, with many Posters, preseason forecast of a step back season I think we're better than that.  And I really liked what I seen with Harry and Theo on the floor at the same time.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
We got this.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »
9-3 is fine and about what I expected. Let us not forget however that we almost ruined our season against EIU.

On to the gauntlet.  I really believe we're capable of 10+ wins.  On any given day we can beat anyone because we might be the best 3 point shooting team ever.  But when the shots aren't falling, the back-up plans aren't great.  But seeing Theo evolve into a true rim protector is a step in the right direction.

We are not as good a 3 point team as last year or ever
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:08 AM »
Record is what I thought it would be.   For entertainment value this team is great to watch.  They like to run, shoot the 3, and are starting to play some D.  They will
have trouble against athletic teams that are in the Big East, but can play with any of them if the ball keeps moving on offense and Rowsey and Howard do not play
hero ball.  I like how Theo keeps learning how to play at this level, not sure about Cain or Elliott on the offensive end but add some D.  Froling showed a big jump form
game 1 to game 2.  Will add value to the team.

The biggest surprise is how good Sam Hauser is.  Yesterday was the quietest 29 points and most efficient game any MU player as ever played.  Took 10 shots and scored
29 points, wow.  Can his brother be better than him, not sure about that?  And Bo Ryan did not want him?  Adding Morrow and Hauser next year, it will be intereting playing time for all the bigs.  If Eke is anything, they really will have time issues.  Next 2 years should be special, as the other teams loss there stars, and not sure how
they can replace them.  It will even be hard to replace for Villy.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
I was very disappointed when we lost to Georgia but I am cautiously optimistic that we are going to do better than expected in conference play.

Theo is an interior presence like we haven't seen in many years.  He seems to have figured out how to play without fouling as much, and we need his skill set on the defensive end. 

Based on last night, Harry looks like he can contribute and once he gets more time on the court he'll only get better.  The offense had an entirely different feel with him in the game and playing well (granted, it was against American).

The Freshmen can contribute.  there are times when they look like freshmen but by and large they can be relied on for some quality minutes.

Damn, we can shoot the ball.  That ability is going to keep us in most games.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
9-3 give and take...Georgia - woulda, shoulda, coulda.    Can't forget EIU.  Good teams are better than us... BUT.... we will get better.

I think hypothetically, we would be 11-1 if playing the same schedule at the end of the season. Yes, beat Purdue...no on Wichita State.

But forget Hypotheticals .. beat X then beat GT then beat the next guy..

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »
The only game that I can look back and say 'I thought we should have had that one' is Georgia.  There were plenty of games that I turned on and wondered how the heck these teams were sticking around.  There were also games that went into overtime and was worried. 

However, we won those games.  I am happy with an ugly win any day.  My biggest goal for this season for Marquette is not to see them lose any of those games against the crappy Beast teams that swing their season.  Some years I look at our Beast record and think how a bad loss against a DePaul or St. Johns kept us from the NCAA tournament.  That one loss to DePaul/St. Johns kept the team under 500 instead of that conference record with 1 win over 500.  I think that makes a huge difference when you have this huge jumble of Beast teams in that 1 game over 500, 500, 1 game under 500 conference record range.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 09:09:44 AM »
The UGA and EIU games (and Lindenwood) were the stumblers. Maui and Madison were the delighters. In the end, UGA was the only stinker with the team stressed on the seams with Cheatham quitting and Rowsey off the rails.

However, since then, these guys look like a NCAA team. No question, this team is better without Haanif. The freshmen are getting minutes, Sam is moving into the three slot. Harry is active, providing more depth and options on both defense and offense. Theo and Matt can now slip into what they do well. Rowsey has assumed the role Wojo wants him to.

Xavier will be a test as to how good this team can be. Please come out and support the boys. If MU can surprise X after break, we are off to the races.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 09:16:58 AM »
About as expected, though we'd be sitting real pretty with a better game (and a W) against Georgia.

Oh well.  9-9 should be plenty to have this team safely in the field.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »
The UGA and EIU games (and Lindenwood) were the stumblers. Maui and Madison were the delighters. In the end, UGA was the only stinker with the team stressed on the seams with Cheatham quitting and Rowsey off the rails.

However, since then, these guys look like a NCAA team. No question, this team is better without Haanif. The freshmen are getting minutes, Sam is moving into the three slot. Harry is active, providing more depth and options on both defense and offense. Theo and Matt can now slip into what they do well. Rowsey has assumed the role Wojo wants him to.

Xavier will be a test as to how good this team can be. Please come out and support the boys. If MU can surprise X after break, we are off to the races.

If we are shooting 60% we might have chance. It's our physicality and athleticism or lack thereof that defeats us.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
We are not as good a 3 point team as last year or ever

Disagree.  Only Markus' percentage is down and the utilization rate of our big 3 scorers seems to be way up.  For reference, Katin shot 40.3% last year meaning that his Senior year production was roughly comparable to Markus' Sophomore year.  Even though Markus is down from his record breaking performance, I wouldn't argue he's 'worse' because of his utilization and the defense focus he receives.  As to my 'ever' comment, I meant MU ever.  I'm sure the statisticians here can do more work on this as necessary.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
I think this was about as expected.  Two players that really got important minutes during these games IMO were Theo and Sacar.

Theo is starting to figure out how to play defense and protect the rim a lot better without fouling.  And if he contributes 2-5 ppg, even better.

Sacar showed a lot defensively, but he also really showed he can get to the rim.  The one thing he was terrible at was finishing once he was there.  Hopefully these minutes he's received along with additional practice time and we'll see him begin to finish at a higher clip.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »
The UGA and EIU games (and Lindenwood) were the stumblers.

UGA sure.  But they beat EIU and Lindenwood was an exhibition.  Neither were stumbles.

Overall they are where I thought they would be.  Thought they would beat UGA and lose to UW however. 

Losing Haanif IMO hasn't hurt us at all.  (I was wrong about that.)  I like how this team is playing and how they play for each other.  Still worried about defense (but it's getting better) and turnovers.  But love the offense.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
we seem to be able to light it up pretty good, but i don't have our first 11-12 game stats from last year.  elliot, cain and john are definitely improving and gaining confidence.  now if we can just slap the floor a little
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 11:29:06 AM »
9-3 is right about what I was thinking, while hoping for 10-2. Actually ... I was hoping for 12-0!

I know folks are frustrated about Georgia and EIU, as I was while watching the games, but look around. Almost every team in the country - even top-10 teams - have had their Georgias and their EIUs already this season. Indeed, several teams that were highly ranked at the time suffered far more embarrassing defeats than our loss to Georgia. I mean, UNC just lost at home to a team that had been 0-25 all-time against ranked teams and had been 0-23 against UNC. It would be like us losing to UWM - but probably worse.

I remain very optimistic about our lads. 9-9 in BE is very doable, and that's a tourney bid for sure. 10 or 11 wins isn't out of the question. (Of course, neither is 7 or 8.)

We are going to be a team with little margin for error in every game, so it will always be "exciting."

I agree about getting off to a nice start. Win our two home games vs. X and GT, and we're gonna have a great year.

But please, folks, let's not climb on the ledge if we don't win those games. It's a long season.

(Yes, I know, asking that of Scoop was beyond dopey. Fire Wojo!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
While 9-3 is around the right numbers for wins and losses expectation .. I voted worse.   

MU's defense was abysmal last year, making it a top priority.    The expectation for at least a mediocre defense was not met.   

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 11:32:23 AM »
While 9-3 is around the right numbers for wins and losses expectation .. I voted worse.   

MU's defense was abysmal last year, making it a top priority.    The expectation for at least a mediocre defense was not met.

Topper voting for worse....Eat at Arby's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
I said worse. I expected us to beat Georgia and had everything else correct. I still think we beat Georgia 7/10 in that situation, but it wasn't our day. I'm satisfied with results, largely because we beat VCU (you all know my thoughts there) and didn't take any truly bad losses, but I wanted the matchup with Michigan (though beating LSU is an acceptable substitute) and felt 10 wins was realistic.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.