Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take the win and run against NIU thoughts  (Read 13161 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Take the win and run against NIU thoughts
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2017, 10:27:30 AM »
Thread title should be "From Harry to Hairy."

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »
TJ having a solid game.  I'm hoping the more physical BEast games will suit his style and perhaps 'let him play' and 'let them bang' attitude will get him more time.

Cain. . . .wow!  That follow up dunk was nice to see.  The defensive effort.

Sacar with the face guard just about sealed the game and it definitely turned the tide.  The guy is a testament to embracing a redshirt year and getting better.

Matty Heldt. . .did he read my post dogging him about just turning his shoulder when guys go to dunk?  That guy was blocking shots out of bounds.  He was challenging shots with both hands up in the air.  Matty . . . .if you are reading this, then I'm sorry!  Now finish that role with a dunk!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »
TJ having a solid game.  I'm hoping the more physical BEast games will suit his style and perhaps 'let him play' and 'let them bang' attitude will get him more time.

Sacar with the face guard just about sealed the game and it definitely turned the tide.  The guy is a testament to embracing a redshirt year and getting better.

Matty Heldt. . .did he read my post dogging him about just turning his shoulder when guys go to dunk?  That guy was blocking shots out of bounds.  He was challenging shots with both hands up in the air.  Matty . . . .if you are reading this, then I'm sorry!  Now finish that role with a dunk!

Yep.  He was blocking those shots so hard it looked like he was trying to get souvenir basketballs into the upper deck.
Have some patience, FFS.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »
I'm perfectly fine with those guys taking one or two wide open 3s per game, regardless of their percentage right now.
Need to keep the defense honest to open driving lanes.

Taking one open shot every game is incredibly hard,  it would be better if they would take a few more if the other players would give up the ball.  Howard and Rowsey
are somewhat ball hogs.   At times because of that, there is to much standing around and not enough ball movement.  If the team wants to improve during Big East play,
those kids have to improve and to improve you can not take 1 shot a game like that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
Literally the last thing I worry about on this team is it's outside shooting.  Elliott and Sacar should still take those shots if they are in game rhythm, but I would like them to continue to attack the basket.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
We’ve won 6 of our last 7 and heading into BE play we likely will have won 7 of our last 8. Not bad

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
Any word on Rowsey?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2017, 01:22:18 PM »
1) Get Healthy. Shots will fall.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »
Really enjoy watching the Warriors fight their way to a win.  NIU looked much better than the rodents.

ecc5051

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2017, 05:38:15 PM »
Tom Eades sure had an off night. It is hard to believe he is ranked as one the top refs.

Tom Eadeshas officiated the NCAA Division I Men's Championship Game and has refereed in 3 Final Fours including 2012 in New Orleans & 2016 in Houston. He has worked numerous conference tournaments during his career.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2017, 07:00:08 PM »
Literally the last thing I worry about on this team is it's outside shooting.  Elliott and Sacar should still take those shots if they are in game rhythm, but I would like them to continue to attack the basket.

I don't worry about outside shooting as long as it's Markus, Sam, Rowsey and maybe Froling shooting the ball. Nothing I've seen shows me that Sacar or Elliott are good enough from the outside to be putting up 3s.

Big tuna

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »

Big tuna

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »

Cover 2 defense!
The SAC ur Man!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 01:44:59 AM »
Sacar is shooting less than 10% from three. Drive n kick or drive plz n werk on 3 in practice
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2017, 03:39:10 AM »
Sacar is shooting less than 10% from three. Drive n kick or drive plz n werk on 3 in practice

On what, 11 attempts? He needs to
Shoot the 3 when he’s left wide open.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2017, 08:41:08 AM »
Yeah the idea that wing/guard players should be not allowed to shoot the 3 is silly.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »
Yeah the idea that wing/guard players should be not allowed to shoot the 3 is silly.

The Rodman Rule

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »

No. What's silly is that players should be encouraged/allowed to shoot open 3 point shots based on the position they play rather than their ability to actually make them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 08:58:57 AM »

nm

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
No. What's silly is that players should be encouraged/allowed to shoot open 3 point shots based on the position they play rather than their ability to actually make them.

Sacar can make them.  Coaches can't get in their head too much.

Should he be taking them off the dribble or contested like Markus and Rowsey do?  No.  Should he take them when he is in rhythm with the defender sagging off?  Absolutely.

He's taken just over one a game.  That's fine.  Not even worth worrying about.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »

Sacar can make them.

What are you basing this on?  He just doesn't seem like much of a shooter to me.  Question may sound snarky, but I'd really be interested if you have something to back up the idea that he can make them often enough that it is worthwhile for him to shoot them.  If he shoots and misses them it doesn't make the defense more honest covering him.  Derrick Wilson was always left wide open at the three point line and I wouldn't want him shooting them either.  He would occasionally brick one but that didn't mean the opponents would start guarding him there.

I agree that one a game is no big deal. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2017, 10:08:57 AM »
What are you basing this on?  He just doesn't seem like much of a shooter to me.  Question may sound snarky, but I'd really be interested if you have something to back up the idea that he can make them often enough that it is worthwhile for him to shoot them.  If he shoots and misses them it doesn't make the defense more honest covering him.  Derrick Wilson was always left wide open at the three point line and I wouldn't want him shooting them either.  He would occasionally brick one but that didn't mean the opponents would start guarding him there.

He came to Marquette with the reputation of a streaky shooter, but not an absolute terrible shooter like Derrick.  1/11 isn't good, but I think he could hit three or four of his next nine.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember comments from teammates last year that one of the things that he had really improved on while redshirting was his shooting. 

So far, it has not seemed to translate to game flow, but that may be because he isn't taking enough shots to get into rhythm--I don't necessarily think he should be taking many 3s, but you want him to feel confident that if he gets an open look to take a shot (yellow light?).

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember comments from teammates last year that one of the things that he had really improved on while redshirting was his shooting. 

So far, it has not seemed to translate to game flow, but that may be because he isn't taking enough shots to get into rhythm--I don't necessarily think he should be taking many 3s, but you want him to feel confident that if he gets an open look to take a shot (yellow light?).

I believe he has the talent for the 3's, but his  main Focus is defense (Wojo said he our best) and with our Defense and Offense ratings it seems obvious where the attention should be.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »
People "believe" Sacar has the talent, think they recall teammates saying his once poor shot had improved or think he had a rep as a streak shooter in high school. Meaningless. His form and his history (including his recent history) say he's a decidedly below average 3 point shooter on a great 3 point shooting team. I'd rather have Rowsey throwing up the off balance. left handed, give me 3 free throws shot than Sacar shooting an open 3. Why? Because he makes 'em at a better %

feedback