[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Is A "Booster"  (Read 2919 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
What Is A "Booster"
« on: December 17, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »
What is the definition of a "booster" and consider this example ...

First, meet Charles Besser   
https://charlesbesser.wordpress.com/about/

Charles Besser earned his undergraduate degree at Marquette University, where he played on the varsity golf team and earned the McCahill Award, which recognizes outstanding student-athletes. He completed his law degree at Marquette University Law School. Devoted to his family and active in the community, Charles Besser supports a number of organizations, including the Joffrey Ballet, Special Olympics, New Horizon Center for the Developmentally Disabled, and the Latin School of Chicago. He serves on the boards of directors of the YMCA of Metro Chicago and Teach For America Chicago Region.

And now meet Besser's firm that he founded in 1985, Intersports

https://www.intersportnet.com/

A collection of directors, producers, writers, strategists, negotiators, implementers, digital natives and visionaries with a 30 year history of building differentiated sports and entertainment platforms that engage consumers.

What does this mean?

With television programming including the College Home Run Derby, the Under Armour All-America High School Football Game, and the Women’s College Basketball Tip-Off Classic, Charles Besser has placed Intersport shows on ESPN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and the FOX television stations. He launched the company’s Sponsorship & Event Marketing division, which earned Best Mall Event Program honors from Event Marketer in 2011, and CelebTV.com, which creates multi-platform programming that has received online views in excess of 1 billion. In 2008, Charles Besser added 20 West Productions to the mix. The subsidiary develops and produces television programs for the A&E Television Networks, LLC; the History, Discovery, and National Geographic Channels; and other major networks.

At this point let me say that Charles is a decent guy and I am not about to suggest any wrongdoing in any way.  Rather I will be asking for definitions.

Also, let me note, because it is relevant for this discussion, Charles is extremely wealthy, as in the multiple private plane category (one private plane is for "regular wealthy") ....

Duke and Intersports

Interports has a long relationship with Duke and NCAA Basketball.  Let's conclude that Interports is not a stranger to either.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2011-08-08/duke%E2%80%99s-china-dubai-trip-televised
Three Duke games from the Blue Devils upcoming trip to China & Dubai will be televised live in the United States on ESPNU and ESPN3.com. Duke’s Friendship Games contests in Shanghai (Aug. 18), Beijing (Aug. 22) and Dubai (Aug. 25) will be shown live in as many as 195 countries throughout the world with the capability of reaching more than 275 million households.

In addition to the live game coverage, Intersport will be traveling with the Blue Devils throughout the trip and will produce a one-hour documentary that will air later in the college basketball season. Intersport assisted Duke with the negotiation of the deal with ESPN and ESPN International to have the Shanghai, Beijing and Dubai games all on live television in the United States via ESPNU and ESPN3.com, as well as distributed internationally via select ESPN International Networks.

August 22, 2017
Intersport announces first 3-on-3 College Hoops Invitational
https://fansided.com/2017/08/22/intersport-announces-first-3-3-college-hoops-invitational/
The 3-on-3 basketball rage is headed to the college ranks as Intersport announced the first-ever College Hoops Invitational on Tuesday.

Following in the footsteps of the BIG3 and with the inclusion of 3-on-3 basketball in the 2020 Olympics, Intersport is hoping to capitalize on the latest trend by hosting a three day tournament during Final Four weekend for college seniors who have exhausted their eligibility. The all-star teams which will be comprised of players from the sport’s top conferences will vie for a $100,000 prize pool.

Ok, now meet Charles son Brennan Besser
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210294987
Career
• Has seen action in two career games
• A high-motor guard who competes hard in practice on a daily basis
• Regularly one of the last Duke players off the practice floor after helping facilitate additional workouts for his teammates
• One of the most well-liked and respected players in the Duke locker room

2016-17
• Played one minute in the season-opening win over Marist (11/11)

2015-16
• Saw one minute of action against Elon (12/28)

High School
• A three-year letterwinner at Latin School
• Averaged 14.6 points and 7.1 rebounds as a senior

Personal
• Born Brennan Jacob Besser on April 22, 1997, in Chicago
• Son of Charles and Rebecca Besser
• Father played golf at Marquette
• Has four older sisters: Lauren, Rachel, Elena and Jacqueline

Ok, Charles Besser has more money than god, his firm is deeply involved in both Duke and the NCAA.  His son is a walk-on at Duke. 

I am in no way suggesting that Brennan is undeserving of his walk-on spot on the Duke team.  His bio is very complimentary of him

An Interesting Connection Not Fully Explained

Read this passage ...

November 2, 2017
Grayson Allen uses emotion for productive purpose as Duke's lone captain
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/11/grayson-allen-emotion-productive-duke-captain

When Allen decided to return for his senior year, Krzyzewski instructed him not to touch a basketball for three months to get healthy and rediscover his love for the game. Allen went to Chicago for a brief internship with a media sales company called Intersport, staying with walk-on teammate Brennan Besser’s family, and arrived at school with a renewed mindset.

Of course, the article neglects to mention Interports relationship with Duke and Besser's relationship with Intersports.  The cynic could argue this looks a lot like Charles Besser "paying" Allen to return to Duke.

So here is my question?

From all of the above Besser seems to fit the definition of booster.  The major difference is he is also the parent of a current player.  Does this change things?

Hypothetical ... If I "contribute" to MU and want to give, say junior Matt Heldt an internship with my firm this summer (meaning I give him money to "internship" which I define what that means) and let him stay in my house in Chicago (presumably) rent-free, is that allowable?  I assume not under current rules as I am a booster.  Correct this, please.

But if Wojo were to pick up my son (hypothetical again, I don't have a son, only daughters) would that make the above example ok?

What got me think about this is I've noticed a lot of top programs have walk-ons of wealthy people.  A couple of years ago Louisville had 5 walk-ons (for a roster of 17), most were from very wealthy families and what would be considered boosters.  (they did not travel but all of them but they did practice with the team and dress for home games.

Is this a way to skirt the booster rules?  My son is a walk-on so now I can shower the program, and the kids with money?

Again, I am not suggesting anything against the rules here.  Charles is a decent guy, Brennan is a deserving walk-on and I'll assume Grayson Allen had a legitimate internship this summer.  But, how can they do this when it looks like it is not allowable under the rules.  Does having a kid on the team change things?  Otherwise, I'd be happy to have Howard or Heldt stay with me this summer and "internship" as I stuff them with money and give them a nice home rent free.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:14:09 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

GGGG

• All American
Re: What Is A "Booster"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »
Was Allen paid for this?  If no, then I don't think it's a problem.  If yes, the NCAA is going to want to see if the internship program is actually an existing program and not a one shot deal.

Anyway, I had a friend at MU whose dad was a booster and ran a local business.  He had Warrior basketball players serve as interns every so often.  But it was a regular internship that hired a few MU students every year.  Were basketball players favored by the company?  Probably. 

(This was 20 years ago so I am not sure this is still the case given the summer requirements of the players.)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Was Allen paid for this?  If no, then I don't think it's a problem.  If yes, the NCAA is going to want to see if the internship program is actually an existing program and not a one shot deal.

Anyway, I had a friend at MU whose dad was a booster and ran a local business.  He had Warrior basketball players serve as interns every so often.  But it was a regular internship that hired a few MU students every year.  Were basketball players favored by the company?  Probably. 

(This was 20 years ago so I am not sure this is still the case given the summer requirements of the players.)

Don't know about the money ... I would assume yes.  Don't know if he was the only one at Intersports, I assume Intersports had other interns as it is a big company.

How about the free rent?  I cannot imagine Allen paid for his room.  They live in a VERY high-end house.  I assume the frig was also full and he had the run of it, the "staff" of their house cleaned his room and did his laundry.  He might have also had the ability to borrow a car, or use Intersports to get tickets to Lollapalooza this summer in Grant Park (I assuming he went to this or other things like this with Brennan).  Did he pay for any of this?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
So you are making a bunch of assumptions about what his living arrangements are and then ask if he paid for them?  Neither of us know what his arrangements were.

I'm sure Duke compliance reviewed everything.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »
So you are making a bunch of assumptions about what his living arrangements are and then ask if he paid for them?  Neither of us know what his arrangements were.

I'm sure Duke compliance reviewed everything.

I was clear that I thought there was no wrongdoing.  And I'm sure Duke cleared all this.

But that was not my question ... I was asking if Allen staying with a teammate in Chicago changes the rules from staying with a booster.

If the answer is yes, that might explain why a lot of top programs have multiple walk-ons from wealthy families ... is this a way to skirt the booster rules?  Now it is not a booster give support to a player (a big no-no) but one teammate helping another teammate.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:12:19 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 02:14:02 PM »
TLDR
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
I know of other instances at D1 institutions where athletes took free trips to beach houses on private jets with rich friends.  The thing is, many friends went on the same free trip (not just the athlete).  No reason that should be a violation. 

As long as other friends are treated the same way when they visit/go on trips should be perfectly legal. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
Speaking of walk-ons of wealthy people, consider Northwestern's two walk-ons

Charlie Hall, Son of Brad Hall and Julia Louis-Dreyfus (NU Alum and seven-time Emmy Award winner who has starred in television shows such as Seinfeld, The New Adventures of Old Christine and Veep)
http://www.nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5488&path=mbball

Tino Malnati - Grandfather founded the popular Chicago chain Lou Malnati's Pizzeria.  Father (Rick) played college basketball at Bradley, was an assistant coach at Loyola University Chicago and is currently the head coach at Fenwick High School
http://www.nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5492&path=mbball

Oh, and Tino's father coaches Fenwick sophomore DJ Stewart, stud point guard ranked in the top 10 nationally among PGs and already has offers from Depaul, Illinois, and Georgia Tech. https://247sports.com/Player/DJ-Steward-46047999

I'm sure his father and family fortune played no role in Tino getting a walk-on spot.

(Again not suggesting anything improper.  Just arguing that walk-ons are chosen for considerations beyond being another body for practice.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:33:17 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
No kidding. Bo’s attorney’s kid was a walk on at Madison. Cam Marotta has obvious Marquette connections.

Is this the really the point you were trying to make here?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »
Notre Dame's walk-on family gave ND $5 million
http://www.und.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/liam_nelligan_1057591.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-notre-dame-donor-spt-0219-20150218-column.html

I'm asking if once these wealthy people are "in" with a kid on the team, are they free from boosters restrictions thus allowing them to legally "help" the team in ways boosters cannot?

Just teammates lending a hand to each other ... all part of the team!  ... come live with me in my huge house, need a "job" or "internship", want to borrow a car, need some money, etc?.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:47:24 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Notre Dame's walk-on family gave ND $5 million
http://www.und.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/liam_nelligan_1057591.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-notre-dame-donor-spt-0219-20150218-column.html

I'm asking if once these wealthy people are "in" with a kid on the team, are they free from boosters restrictions thus allowing them to legally "help" the team in ways boosters cannot?

Just teammates lending a hand to each other ... all part of the team!  ... come live with me in my huge house, need a "job" or "internship", want to borrow a car, need some money, etc?.
These kind of things are rampant in the non revenue non head equivilancy scholarship sports. In fact some of the teams have their own defacto placement departments.

You are pointing out a gray area in the rules that it I believe is frequently taken advantage of by the coaches.  The solicitations the coaches send out in these sports to families of the team are quite sophisticated.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »
Logical counterpoint...most fringe D-1 college basketball players don't necessarily have the financial means to walk-on for essentially an unpaid full time job.  You could potentially be a scholarship player at a low major or get a partial at a D-2 school.  Affluent kids don't have the financial worries other kids might when weighing that decision, especially at expensive private schools.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 05:38:40 PM »
Logical counterpoint...most fringe D-1 college basketball players don't necessarily have the financial means to walk-on for essentially an unpaid full time job.  You could potentially be a scholarship player at a low major or get a partial at a D-2 school.  Affluent kids don't have the financial worries other kids might when weighing that decision, especially at expensive private schools.

Which is all fine and good until Grayson Allen, who was debating returning to Duke, spends the summer with his walk-on teammate in their $10 million Chicago home and "interns" at his father's company.

If this was a straight booster that did this UNC and everyone else would be screaming eligibility problems as this smacks of paying Allen to return to Duke.

But because it's a teammate it's all good.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:41:17 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »
Which is all fine and good until Grayson Allen, who was debating returning to Duke, spends the summer with his walk-on teammate in their $10 million Chicago home and "interns" at his father's company.

If this was a straight booster that did this UNC and everyone else would be screaming eligibility problems as this smacks of paying Allen to return to Duke.

But because it's a teammate it's all good.

Yes.  It is all good. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
I'd be more worried if Besser wasn't an MU booster.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 07:16:59 AM »
I'd be more worried if Besser wasn't an MU booster.

He married one of Al's daughters (they divorced a long time ago).

In 1982 he was Al's Agent when there was talk that Al might coach the Bulls
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/03/24/sports/sports-people-bulls-shun-mcguire.html

He taught a class at MU law
https://www.slideshare.net/CharlesBesser/program-offerings-at-marquette-university-law-school

1987 story about his interesting past ...
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-04-14/business/8701280340_1_bekins-legal-fees-florida-firm

Bill Clinton pardoned him in 1999.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-01-07/news/0101070501_1_pardon-executive-clemency-illinois-men/2
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:18:36 AM by Yukon Cornelius »

feedback