[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Students are not sloppy enough  (Read 20795 times)

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
Students are not sloppy enough
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:43:43 AM »
I called out section 106 but I just wanted to hedge my arguement by saying that the student body as as hole isnt nearly as sloppy as they were (Sloppy is good).

The beer consumption since Fell, Stiglitz, Maloney, Josetti, and Kahle have left their throne at 224 row Z has left a great void in booze consumption at the games.  It is truly disheartening to me to not here the boo birds come out when they talk about the sportmanship message.

The Sucks Cheer has gone soft
"You Cant Read" hasnt been used against UC or L-Ville since 2003

Fell, Stiglitz, Josetti, Kahle, and Maloney still find the time to go to road games year in and year out and get so sloppy on the road that we end up eating pizza off sidewalks and get kicked out of hotels rooms.   

I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE STUDENT GROUP AT ANY ROAD GAMES IN THE PAST 3 YEARS!!!
PATHETIC!!!!!

Even during the lean times you would see a few student groups roaming about town during an away game getting sloppy and representing Marquette to the fullest!!!!

In fact this last week in Morgantown, Marquette upended the National Champs of Partying by being sloppier, drunker, stupider, and being bigger pretty boys than WVU students hence we scored a big upset!!

YOU STUDENTS NEED TO GET TO ROAD GAMES.
Go into Credit Card debt, sacrifice a mid-term, break up with your DSHA GF i dont care just get to the games or else MU fans will soon become what Duke fans are (Snotty, dont drink, nerds)

I worked the grounds crew at MU which starts at 6:am than go to my first two classes smelling like Garbage so I could raise money for MU road trips, I skipped a mid-term because of the final 4, I gained 50lbs over a basketball season o beer and fun-yons.

But that is sacrifice.

I CHALLENGE YOU STUDENTS TO GET SLOPPY AND GO TO ROAD GAMES
I AM A 26 YEAR OLD MARRIED LOSER WHO STILL ACTS LIKE I AM 8 BUT GOD DAMN  AM I PROUD OF IT

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Students are not sloppy enough
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:04:20 AM »
please tell me this is sarcasm. MU students were in full force at ND last year as well as DuhPaul.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:11 AM »
NateDogg... nothing but respect here.

I agree that the students have gone soft.  there are many times during the home game when students are sitting on their hands and biting their tongues.  it takes the kids in 106 to try and get them pumped up.  when i was in the student section, it didn't matter where we sat, we were rowdy, loud, devote, and usually fairly intoxicated fans.  i would give anything just hear a student yell "your mom works at IHOP" to an opposing player right before a free throw again.  students must not realize they are close enough to actually yell and be heard on the court.  you don't need to wait for male-leader instructions before opening your yappers to cheer.

oh yeah, and please keep the steal it steal it cheer going.

also, road games are where it's at.  Ive followed the team around in the final four run as well as out to NYC for the conference tourney.  you see some great places and meet some fun fans.  
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 08:13:43 AM »
please tell me this is sarcasm. MU students were in full force at ND last year as well as DuhPaul.

DePaul can barely be considered a "road game."

Nate, chill out. I'm sure there are plenty of kids going on trips to games. You are suffering from the syndrome experienced by many guys in their 20s who believe no one partied more, drank more, hooked up with more girls, got in more fights, and was generally as bad ass as they were when they were in college. This is their time. They can do what they want with it.
We Are Marquette

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:14:51 AM »
MU gimp ONE, you wish is my command.  ;D

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:17:33 AM »
Big ups Natedogg, couldn't agree more with everything you have said.  I have followed the team to as many places as I could.  The best of which may have been during the NCAA tourney, deciding to leave for Indianapolis at about 11:00 or 11:30 PM, waiting 3-4 hours to sober up enough to make the drive and then getting down there eary in the morning to get tickets for the upper upper decks and crashing in the bleachers there until the Illini and ND fans started pouring in.  After watching those two play, a friend and I parlayed $15 apiece into dead center court seats maybe 7 rows back for Novak's moneyball OT game against Missourri.  Upon calling our friends to find out where they ended up, they had managed to work their way into a box, and even brought back a big bowl of fried chicken for the car ride home.  In the words of Leroy Jenkins, "Least I got chicken".

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:23:56 AM »
C'mon Nate, we've got one of the best (if not THE best) home-court advantages in the Big East. Calm down.

I'm all for a rowdy student section, but rowdy does not equate to being classless dickwads, which is what you are advocating (and, according to your statements, what you were). Razzing other players can be done effectively without being petty. Cheering loudly can be done without being wasted. And being a hardcore fan can be done without being financially irresponsible.

In other words, be a fan, not a d-bag.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:34:50 AM »
C'mon Nate, we've got one of the best (if not THE best) home-court advantages in the Big East. Calm down.

I'm all for a rowdy student section, but rowdy does not equate to being classless dickwads, which is what you are advocating (and, according to your statements, what you were). Razzing other players can be done effectively without being petty. Cheering loudly can be done without being wasted. And being a hardcore fan can be done without being financially irresponsible.

In other words, be a fan, not a d-bag.

i believe the spirit of the post was that some of the students aren't cheering loudly during home and away games, if i understood correct.  and when it comes to "razzing" opposing players, i don't feel there is any other way to do it other than do it other than being petty.  we need more "hey number ??, you prefer the company of men" and less "let's go defense." 

i do agree that you can be a hardcore fan without being financially irresponsible.  all my trips were done on a budget which allowed me to go on more trips.

let's start leaving the name D-Bag for people that really deserve it.  some people on here are throwing it out as a blanket term and i fear that it is starting to lose some meaning.  here is a quick tutorial... Coach K is a D-Bag along with people like Digger... please use that as a reference point when using the term.

thank you
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:39:51 AM »
Nate you are proving once again that you are still a pathetic POS. Keep up the good work with your hockey jersey.
But I like to throw handfuls...

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 09:56:15 AM »
Fell, Stiglitz, Josetti, Kahle, and Maloney.

Calls to mind Diener, Wade, Townsend, Merrit, and Robert Jackson.

Or not. 

Nate, good to know you've already sunken to nostalgic ramblings fit for a 60 year old.  Keep eating that sidewalk pizza. 

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Good God, Nate
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »
NateDoffMarq said: YOU STUDENTS NEED TO GET TO ROAD GAMES.
Go into Credit Card debt, sacrifice a mid-term, break up with your DSHA GF i dont care just get to the games or else MU fans will soon become what Duke fans are (Snotty, dont drink, nerds)

I worked the grounds crew at MU which starts at 6:am than go to my first two classes smelling like Garbage so I could raise money for MU road trips, I skipped a mid-term because of the final 4, I gained 50lbs over a basketball season o beer and fun-yons.

But that is sacrifice.

I CHALLENGE YOU STUDENTS TO GET SLOPPY AND GO TO ROAD GAMES
I AM A 26 YEAR OLD MARRIED LOSER WHO STILL ACTS LIKE I AM 8 BUT GOD DAMN  AM I PROUD OF IT

I hope that you realize how utterly pathetic your post is, and how borderline insane your rantings are getting.  You are proud of the fact that you skipped a mid-term, smelled like garbage, and gained fifty pounds (that would have been really hilarious to see on your 5'4" frame) to follow basketball, and if the students don't share this level of insanity with you, then they just are nerds who don't care?  Wow, you have sunk to a new low, which given your lack of height, is impressive.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
But Nate, more importantly, will this drop us one seed line or two?

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
I would just like to go on record and say that I was the one that brought the bowl of chicken back to the car.

And Strokin we didnt wait 3 hours to sober up to get on the road. I am pretty sure half of us were in the bag until we got into Indiana. Sleeping on a bleacher in the RCA dome will be remembered forever. But getting invited into a suite by an alumni and getting a bowl of chicken as a parting gift will always make me laugh.

I go to games, and I am not that far out of MU (class of 05) and I already see the difference. You know what the difference is?

Admissions, if I applied to Marquette today NO WAY I would get in, they are not letting in ACT 18 - 21s like myself anymore. Those are the guys that have fun. The kids getting into MU are too smart and too weenie. "Oh my god Johnny I cant possibly go to the basketball event today, I have a rather important History exam tomorrow morn"

Shink Shink Shink.
"Did you see how many beers That Guy in front of us drank at the game?"

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »
Admissions, if I applied to Marquette today NO WAY I would get in, they are not letting in ACT 18 - 21s like myself anymore. Those are the guys that have fun. The kids getting into MU are too smart and too weenie. "Oh my god Johnny I cant possibly go to the basketball event today, I have a rather important History exam tomorrow morn"

Shink Shink Shink.
Yes, improving the caliber of student is most definitely a bad thing for the school. Oh how I wish my alma mater had more morons and imbiciles. Screw academics!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 10:38:15 AM »

Totally agree. I should graduate in the Spring, and I know for a fact I would not get into Marquette with my ACT, and high school GPA. I honestly don't know how a lot of kids got in anyway, I guess they really liked the essay portion.

Tribby, I'm sure that That Guy doesn't mean it in those ways, but it entirely makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 01:25:38 PM by marqptm »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 10:42:29 AM »
You know what the difference is?

I agree with this 100%. That was one of my biggest frustrations about MU students, they acted like if they went to a midweek game their academic career would go to hell. Grades are important, but MU students now are obsessed with GPAs and don't realize the other parts of college their missing.

As far as the "sloppy" argument, I think it's BS. I did not miss a single game in four years, including breaks. I didn't drink at the games. I went to 4 away games last year including the 13 hour drive overnight for the Georgetown game. I'll be going with a group of non-sloppy '07 alums to Cincy this year.

If that makes me less of a fan, I guess I'll drop a seed or two on the fan line.

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »
If I applied today they would laugh at me.

I am by no means mad at MU for upping the standards. I am simply pointing out the fact that I dont know many kids from high school that got a 28+ on their ACT doing keg stands on the weekends. That is where the lack of sloppyness comes in that this thread is about.

Smart kids dont drink.

Average kids from the SS of Chicago like myself booze until they cant stand.

Average kids dont get into MU anymore.  EQUALS

Lack of sloppyness and drinking in the student section. EQUALS

Less "YOUR MOM WORKS AT IHOP" call outs.

And yes the players and refs can hear you when you sit that close. Just ask the guy we got in a fight with on East carolina (Gimp correct me if I am wrong on the team)

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »
You don't know many junior engineers then!!

But really, what ever happened to the smart guys that know how to have fun? I like to think I'm not the only one out there. It's all about balance and the frosh coming in don't understand that getting a 4.0 or 3.5 or w/e isn't everything.

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
You are correct there are smart guys out there that enjoy drinking too, im not saying ALL.

However its a lot harder to find then if you stroll down to the College of Communications, at least back in my hayday.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »
as long as the school continually gets harder to get into, that just makes my degree that i earned in May look that much better.

i have heard alot about how many times some of you blew off classes or exams to go to a game, but i have not yet heard from those same mouths how many times they have blown off work to travel to a game. Seems to me that this would be the natural progression of things. yes the school is getting harder to get into, unlike the pants of that drunk girl whose thong everyone could see, and this may be causing a different breed of student to go to the games. This is where i would think that you super fans who did travel all that far to go to games (funny how almost all of them were for the final four) would rise up and act like the super fans they feel that they are. if the students arent showing up and screaming at the players like you used to, then that only leaves room for you to cheer.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 10:53:45 AM »
Tell you what: You give me the choice between MU being ranked in the top 10 schools in the country in terms of academics or basketball, I'm going to choose academics, and it's not even close. I would hope that everyone else on this board would do the same, but I highly doubt that's the case. Kind of pathetic, really.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »
Tell you what: You give me the choice between MU being ranked in the top 10 schools in the country in terms of academics or basketball, I'm going to choose academics, and it's not even close. I would hope that everyone else on this board would do the same, but I highly doubt that's the case. Kind of pathetic, really.

After I graduate, my only connection with the university will be basketball. If I have children I doubt my kid will go to Marquette.

I would never brag to my friends that Marquette is a now a Top 20 university (it will never happen anyway). However, it will be awesome to brag about Marquette being the tits at basketball.

So, yes I'd rather have a Top 10 basketball team than a Top 20 university.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »
as long as the school continually gets harder to get into, that just makes my degree that i earned in May look that much better.

i have heard alot about how many times some of you blew off classes or exams to go to a game, but i have not yet heard from those same mouths how many times they have blown off work to travel to a game. Seems to me that this would be the natural progression of things. yes the school is getting harder to get into, unlike the pants of that drunk girl whose thong everyone could see, and this may be causing a different breed of student to go to the games. This is where i would think that you super fans who did travel all that far to go to games (funny how almost all of them were for the final four) would rise up and act like the super fans they feel that they are. if the students aren't showing up and screaming at the players like you used to, then that only leaves room for you to cheer.

ill field this one... for the year after i graduated i would cut out of work early to get in line since i was still using student tickets.  i took off 3 days to go out for the BE tourney.  i took the day off to go down to depaul and spend the day in chicago.  not to mention i took 2 1/2 hour lunches to watch the tourney games where Marquette plays during the day ala Maui first round.

i am no better than other dedicated fans.  just proving that the same kids that cut class for games still cut work for games.  for everyone that is going to jump all over me that i cheated my education and probably have a crappy job that allows me to cut, i can assure you that is not true.  i got the most of my education, finished with a decent GPA, despite a very rocky start, and still got a good job that allows me to pay $7 for a miller at the game.  i agree with jaybilaswho, the harder it gets the better my degree looks.  looks like ill just have to do the yelling for all the smart kids that aren't at the game.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 11:04:27 AM »

After I graduate, my only connection with the university will be basketball. If I have children I doubt my kid will go to Marquette.

I would never brag to my friends that Marquette is a now a Top 20 university (it will never happen anyway). However, it will be awesome to brag about Marquette being the tits at basketball.

So, yes I'd rather have a Top 10 basketball team than a Top 20 university.
That's a mind-boggling lack of perspective on what's actually important. But at least you're willing to admit you don't "get it."

That Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »
10 points will be awarded to marqptm for using the word "tits" to describe how awesome something is.

I thought I was one of the few people that actually said that.