collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Students are not sloppy enough  (Read 19552 times)

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
Re: Students are not sloppy enough
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »
26??  Judging from the kids in the English 1 sections my sister taught last semester, the ACT must've got way easier since I took it.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »
And they even added a writing portion to it!!

bob

• Walk-On
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »
Marqptm,

You need a 26+ to even get looked at?????

29% of the class of 2010 has an ACT of 24 or below.

http://www.marquette.edu/student/ugrad/admissionprofile.shtml

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »
Marqptm,

You need a 26+ to even get looked at?????

29% of the class of 2010 has an ACT of 24 or below.

http://www.marquette.edu/student/ugrad/admissionprofile.shtml

I assume it depends on the College/Major.

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2008, 05:10:17 PM »
ACT scores overall are on the rise. The national average (aka 50th percentile) is now a 21. The Writing section is optional and has no effect on your cumulative score. However, at all universities, less weight is being placed on the numbers (GPA, ACT score) and more is being put on the subjective portion(essays, interviews).

Marquette's intro English classes suck. I was a fantastic English student but I refused to put any effort in because I hated that class so much.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 05:13:56 PM by Steak »

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2008, 05:25:36 PM »
Marquette's intro English classes suck. I was a fantastic English student but I refused to put any effort in because I hated that class so much.

Did you refuse to put any effort in to the extent of recycling old papers from high school that clearly do not fit the assignment or just not doing any work whatsoever or not knowing how to properly address an envelope?  I could go on with these types of stories.  I'm not completely sure what goes on in those classes (I tested out of them), but from what my sister told me about the curriculum, I'd have to agree with you that they suck.  And apparently, a few of the kids taking them, in all honesty, also suck.

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2008, 05:45:08 PM »
Oh, I did the assignments, but I half-assed them. I'm not even sure if I used half of my ass, maybe it was quarter-assed.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »
Tribby,

Are your shorts to tight?  You are a really harsh old nag.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2008, 12:45:16 PM »
YOU STUDENTS NEED TO GET TO ROAD GAMES.
Go into Credit Card debt, sacrifice a mid-term, break up with your DSHA GF i dont care just get to the games or else MU fans will soon become what Duke fans are (Snotty, dont drink, nerds)

I worked the grounds crew at MU which starts at 6:am than go to my first two classes smelling like Garbage so I could raise money for MU road trips, I skipped a mid-term because of the final 4, I gained 50lbs over a basketball season o beer and fun-yons.

But that is sacrifice.

I CHALLENGE YOU STUDENTS TO GET SLOPPY AND GO TO ROAD GAMES
I AM A 26 YEAR OLD MARRIED LOSER WHO STILL ACTS LIKE I AM 8 BUT GOD DAMN  AM I PROUD OF IT

While road games sound like a good time, I think very few students are dedicated enough to make the trips.  Chicago would be fine, but I wouldn't be willing to go into credit card debt, any significant part of my grades, or break up with the gf for a road game (though it might be a good idea as the previously discussed drunk girl in 106 was looking pretty hot yesterday. She must have waddled by where I was sitting 5 times to get another beer.  She must be trying to surpass that 50 lb "basketball season" weight gain because it looks like she's already about 30 lbs overweight. 

The games are entertainment and something to follow, but most students don't take it any further.  I can honestly say if we didn't have a basketball team or the team was always terrible I probably wouldn't have gone to MU.  But it's a feature of the school that made me want to come, and not worth sacrificing things that are more important to me to prove a point to someone.

I will agree that the student section isn't as crazy as it was even two years ago.  I don't know if it's just a change in student behavior, not having any home games that stir up the "underdog" mentality, or just a huge need for $1 beer night.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »
Tribby,

The irony of making an easy grammatical error while criticizing someone for paying "to" much attention to academics is wonderful. Thanks for making me chuckle.

threeofclubs

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »

That was all I heard freshman year. Made me really glad I APd out of them.

Does worrying about academics make you a bad fan? I had some spotty attendance my first two years, but I certainly wasn't using my time to worry about grades. This year, I've only missed one game (counting men's and women's, break games too) and I got my best grades ever.

But Athletics pays for my ticket, so there's some limits to how sloppy cool I can be :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:33:11 PM by threeofclubs »

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2008, 04:32:44 PM »
ok, this whole thread is, if i may be a complete hypocrite by making one, a huge stupid assumption and stereotype.

I am one of the more fervent student fans of our bball program (that includes Men AND Women) of my friends and classmates (not saying out of the whole student body or anything!!), and right now I will do everything in my power to see the BEast games, either by TV or in person @ the BC.  And guess what? I'm carrying 19 credits of medicine this semester and it's not any walk in the park to learn medicine. Last year I was that girl still screaming at Nietzel during the godawful NCAA game when it was dim and grim; I have gone hoarse shouting at games and helped start cheers and brought the energy and excitement of MU bball to everyone in my life and i MAKE people hear about us.    and guess what? 3 of the last 4 years, I was in band, not drunk, just hyped up on hormones and caffeine I'm sure.  Yes, my way was paid to away games, but you know what, I made sure MU was well represented by heckling the players and cheering our games.  Maybe i'm not going to shout "F you ND" but you better believe I will get on the other team's case every chance I have.

it doesn't matter if you are straight A or a C gets degrees student, it doesn't matter if you are wet or dry as a Mormon, you can be a spectacular MU fan, so let's just stop acting like only imbeciles are good fans b/c that's just terrible logic.

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »
Did the band just try to one up all of us?

mcnaulty21

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2008, 01:14:43 AM »
please tell me this is sarcasm. MU students were in full force at ND last year as well as DuhPaul.
Yeah, we drove down in that huge snowstorm. Took almost 8 hours to get back it was so bad.
Even though we lost, it was the best game I've been to in my year and a half.
Warrior 'til I die

mcnaulty21

• Walk-On
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2008, 01:26:25 AM »
10 points will be awarded to marqptm for using the word "tits" to describe how awesome something is.
I thought I was one of the few people that actually said that.
haha,my roommate and I were just discussing how disappointing it is that so few people use that phrase.
Warrior 'til I die

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2008, 05:44:42 AM »

it doesn't matter if you are straight A or a C gets degrees student,

Or a "D gets degrees" student in the college of engineering  ;D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »

it doesn't matter if you are straight A or a C gets degrees student,

Or a "D gets degrees" student in the college of engineering  ;D

Uhhh... the College of Engineering demands a 'C' average or better in all coursework within the College of Engineering, and a 'C' average or better in the Marquette Core Curriculum classes to graduate.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2008, 09:11:26 AM »
10 points will be awarded to marqptm for using the word "tits" to describe how awesome something is.
I thought I was one of the few people that actually said that.
haha,my roommate and I were just discussing how disappointing it is that so few people use that phrase.

I too enjoy the use of the phrase tits. Been using it with friends since high school in the mid 1990s.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2008, 10:51:26 AM »
marqptm:
I said I could careless

I have said it before, it is my pet peeve, and no offense intended, but my one man fight to eradicate the illogical phrase must go on -------->
The phrase is "I could NOT care less"!  Please think about it.   

chapman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »
marqptm:
I said I could careless

I have said it before, it is my pet peeve, and no offense intended, but my one man fight to eradicate the illogical phrase must go on -------->
The phrase is "I could NOT care less"!  Please think about it.   

I guess it could make sense to say "I could care less".

State

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »
I agree that the current students are not true fans....

until you punch an elderly, chicago, sports reporter you are weak!!!  Drink up!!![color]

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »
Tribby,

The irony of making an easy grammatical error while criticizing someone for paying "to" much attention to academics is wonderful. Thanks for making me chuckle.

Nice Tribby.  My statement has less to do with your stance for academic excellence and more to do with your harsh, naggy tone.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
jlhiii/Tribby: take a chill pill or take it to PMs.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

feedback