collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scaled back and moved Athletic Performance Center  (Read 8376 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Scaled back and moved Athletic Performance Center
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »
The dome was for Amplo.

Right. And so was pushing up this timeline. Lax is a priority.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
No there is not a track under the bubble and remember that it is track and field, not just track, so all of the field events need a place to practice their events. Runners can run in the bubble or at the Pettit center, but that is still not ideal and doesn’t help all the events. Imagine the tennis team not having tennis courts or the basketball team not having a basketball court to practice on. Imagine not being able to have a place to have home competitions. Men’s and women’s Indoor and outdoor Track and field and cross country account for 6 of the counting sports at MU and they deserve to have what just about every division I school In the upper half of the country has, an indoor track. It is beyond Absurd.

Not to be flippant, but recently Marquette's track and field teams have done very well; on a comparative basis, they have done much better than almost every other varsity sport.  The women's teams have won the last four Big East championships - two in Indoor and two in Outdoor, and the men have were runners-up for Indoor and Outdoor in 2017.

Obviously, indoor facilities would be ideal, but at this point it does not appear to have affected recruiting or competitiveness. Like almost all other discretionary spending by a university, it will probably take a benefactor (or group of benefactors) with both the passion and the funding to make this happen.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »
Well obviously track and field isn’t as high a priority given the resources involved. It’s not as though it’s a revenue generator.

There is one sport that is a revenue generator at Marquette and that is men’s basketball, so I fail to see your point. Without track and cross county and the six counting sports Marquette could not be a division one program. Having an actual facility is a basic right for any team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »
There is one sport that is a revenue generator at Marquette and that is men’s basketball, so I fail to see your point. Without track and cross county and the six counting sports Marquette could not be a division one program. Having an actual facility is a basic right for any team.

It isn’t a “right” to have an indoor track. The facilities are fine.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »
Not to be flippant, but recently Marquette's track and field teams have done very well; on a comparative basis, they have done much better than almost every other varsity sport.  The women's teams have won the last four Big East championships - two in Indoor and two in Outdoor, and the men have were runners-up for Indoor and Outdoor in 2017.

Obviously, indoor facilities would be ideal, but at this point it does not appear to have affected recruiting or competitiveness. Like almost all other discretionary spending by a university, it will probably take a benefactor (or group of benefactors) with both the passion and the funding to make this happen.

So you’re position is because your team is successful anyway, why should we give you proper facilities to train in or give you an opportunity to host meets.  Do you know what it is like to travel every single  weekend. Do you know what issues they have to do deal with on a daily basis just to practice?  The coaches there are outstanding and they don’t complain and they figure out ways to prepare their team, but it is far from ideal and they deserve better.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »

It isn’t a “right” to have an indoor track. The facilities are fine.
. Agree to strongly disagree on this Statement. To have a sport and not have a facility for that team to practice in is an embarrassment for a division I school.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »
. Agree to strongly disagree on this Statement. To have a sport and not have a facility for that team to practice in is an embarrassment for a division I school.

They do have a practice facility, just not what you would like them to have.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 03:29:32 PM »
1980, what you are seemingly failing to acknowledge is that MU isn't attempting to build major D1 sports programs in the non-revs to compete with big state schools.  I agree that the dome was done for Coach Amplo in an attempt to make MU a big time destination school in the midwest for lacrosse.  Part of that strategy is to be a mechanism for recruiting east coast kids to campus.  Respectfully, MU simply isn't about to put big money into Track and Field.  Call us 'mid major' if you want.  If you're an All-American talent, you're simply not considering a mid-sized Catholic university located in the cold.  That athlete accepts a scholly from another school.  Fine by most of us.

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 04:02:08 PM »
1980, what you are seemingly failing to acknowledge is that MU isn't attempting to build major D1 sports programs in the non-revs to compete with big state schools.  I agree that the dome was done for Coach Amplo in an attempt to make MU a big time destination school in the midwest for lacrosse.  Part of that strategy is to be a mechanism for recruiting east coast kids to campus.  Respectfully, MU simply isn't about to put big money into Track and Field.  Call us 'mid major' if you want.  If you're an All-American talent, you're simply not considering a mid-sized Catholic university located in the cold.  That athlete accepts a scholly from another school.  Fine by most of us.
I realize I am a bit biased to track because it was my sport, but I am a huge fan of all sports at Marquette and the direction of the athletic department in recent years IS to make all of the sports competitive on a Big East and national level.  Marquette can and does attract talent from all over the country and having a proper indoor facility would only enhance the ability to recruit, due to our climate. 

As a fan of all Marquette sports, I have enjoyed seeing improvements for other programs, such as the Al McGuire center for men's and women's basketball and volleyball, valley fields for both men's and women's soccer programs and outdoor track and field, the bubble that is helping several sports, including track & field.  I have enjoyed watching Marquette making a commitment to the LaCrosse programs. 

I was so disappointed and sad for the Wrestling program when it was discontinued.  And I will continue to be disappointed when the plans for the indoor track and field facility falls through once again and I am sure my fellow track alums feel the same way and of course, other alums are not going to feel as passionately about it.  However, to see some of the comments on here that appear to be against the track program having an actual facility for their sport is surprising to me.   

Over the years, Marquette track alums have donated large amounts of money to both athletics and Marquette in general.  Marcus Lemonis, a track alum and star of "The profit", has been a huge ambassador for Marquette.  When the Valley fields were built, track alums donated the most money and yet they were not giving stands for the facility and their long jump and triple jump pits were taken away several years ago to make room for locker rooms for other teams.  When the Al McGuire center was built it was originally going to be for all sports and an indoor track was discussed as part of the plans.  One of the largest donors to the Al was a track alum and he was very surprised and disappointed when the facility was scaled down to only include basketball and volleyball. 

I am passionate about Marquette, love MU basketball as much as anyone and want to see each all the sports be given the best opportunity to succeed.  I am disappointed that once again the indoor track is most likely not going to happen, but life moves on and I will continue to hope for an indoor facility for one of the most successful programs in the history of Marquette. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
That would be idiotic.  It's almost as far away from the center from campus as  the BC.  Also for all the other reasons it makes absolutely no sense to have an on-campus arena.

Would this "major benefactor" also be willing to underwrite all of the operating losses and maintenance costs for his arena into perpetuity?
If someone chooses to fund an arena, I am sure the University would give it strong consideration. That said, it does not appear that said benefactor is on the horizon.

Also it is worth noting, other Universities frequently use their on campus arenas for concerts etc. So the notion it would be sitting vacant is not completely a given.

My sense is if MU were to get into the top 50 in US News we would have a better chance at getting a benefactor.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
Benefactor no matta. Fundraisin’ yes matta, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »

Except for Wally.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
I realize I am a bit biased to track because it was my sport, but I am a huge fan of all sports at Marquette and the direction of the athletic department in recent years IS to make all of the sports competitive on a Big East and national level.  Marquette can and does attract talent from all over the country and having a proper indoor facility would only enhance the ability to recruit, due to our climate. 

As a fan of all Marquette sports, I have enjoyed seeing improvements for other programs, such as the Al McGuire center for men's and women's basketball and volleyball, valley fields for both men's and women's soccer programs and outdoor track and field, the bubble that is helping several sports, including track & field.  I have enjoyed watching Marquette making a commitment to the LaCrosse programs. 

I was so disappointed and sad for the Wrestling program when it was discontinued.  And I will continue to be disappointed when the plans for the indoor track and field facility falls through once again and I am sure my fellow track alums feel the same way and of course, other alums are not going to feel as passionately about it.  However, to see some of the comments on here that appear to be against the track program having an actual facility for their sport is surprising to me.   

Over the years, Marquette track alums have donated large amounts of money to both athletics and Marquette in general.  Marcus Lemonis, a track alum and star of "The profit", has been a huge ambassador for Marquette.  When the Valley fields were built, track alums donated the most money and yet they were not giving stands for the facility and their long jump and triple jump pits were taken away several years ago to make room for locker rooms for other teams.  When the Al McGuire center was built it was originally going to be for all sports and an indoor track was discussed as part of the plans.  One of the largest donors to the Al was a track alum and he was very surprised and disappointed when the facility was scaled down to only include basketball and volleyball. 

I am passionate about Marquette, love MU basketball as much as anyone and want to see each all the sports be given the best opportunity to succeed.  I am disappointed that once again the indoor track is most likely not going to happen, but life moves on and I will continue to hope for an indoor facility for one of the most successful programs in the history of Marquette.

Fair statement.  But let's admit that MU's facilities for anything will never look like Auburn's.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »
An on-campus arena that can also host concerts???? Cause there just aren't enough concert venues in Milwaukee, there are bands knocking the door demanding to play in Milwaukee but we have to turn them away because there is just no room at the inn?

MU got a 7 year lease at the Foxconn Center because that's all the Bucks would give them, not because there is some plan to build an arena but because that's all the leverage we had. An on-campus arena makes zero economic sense for MU.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 08:17:20 AM »
Exactly.  I mean, there is the new place, the Arena and then MU is going to build something?  All in the same geographic area? Gigantic waste of resources not only for MU, but for the entire community. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
An on-campus arena that can also host concerts???? Cause there just aren't enough concert venues in Milwaukee, there are bands knocking the door demanding to play in Milwaukee but we have to turn them away because there is just no room at the inn?

MU got a 7 year lease at the Foxconn Center because that's all the Bucks would give them, not because there is some plan to build an arena but because that's all the leverage we had. An on-campus arena makes zero economic sense for MU.

Yep.  I think the Bucks started the negotiations at 3 years, absolutely appalling to MU's administration and BOT.  The relationship with Buck's ownership will never be anything more than cordial going forward.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »
Yep.  I think the Bucks started the negotiations at 3 years, absolutely appalling to MU's administration and BOT.  The relationship with Buck's ownership will never be anything more than cordial going forward.

At this point, cordial would be nice to have.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »

Incorrect, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
An on campus arena doesnt make sense now.

Work it so the Mecca closes the same day the theoretical on campus arena opens and it starts to make more sense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
The more I hear and think about this, the move to central campus, the more this makes sense. Academics married with Athletics and Aurora is a block away. It really unifies the three districts. Schroeder Field is there for expansion and Abbottsford can come tumbling down eventually.

That said, whether rumor or fantasy, MU’s Joyce Center on Michigan is not as crazy as one may think. I suspect 4never is hearing some of this in his cryptic comments.

The Admirals are in Year 2 of a eight year lease at the UWM Dump. Marquette signed a 7 year lease starting in 2018. MUs current master plan phase is expected to end in 5-6 years. And the Big East TV contract ends in seven years. MU also has had thoughts on adding hockey like Scholl’s ND. Hmmmm.

If anything, leaving this as an open-ended option provides leverage.  As is speculating about future uses such as an expansion of the convention center, even if they sound wild in 2017. I can tell you that Marquette is committed to expanding its athletic footprint.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
Yes MU opening a new arena with the Admirals makes sense if the Arena goes away.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2017, 12:02:55 PM »
Yes MU opening a new arena with the Admirals makes sense if the Arena goes away.

Yep.  Wintrust North (public-private). The Crumbling Panther Den comes down. The current Convention Center expanded north which connects the Bucks Arena, their Entertainment Plaza, the Bucks Bradley Center hotel, and the Brewery to the North with the MU Scoop Benny Dome and Wisconsin Ave to the South to unify Westown.  The Grand Redevelopment is already underway. All hotels and venues connected by skyways like Minneapolis.

Btw, the land for this is all under control of interested parties. The light rail phases run right through all this. This also connects four university campuses too. They couldn't blow up the Mecca before as the other teams had no where to play realistically (and politically). MU can split games between the two arenas like Nova does, and have the chance to play NCAA games at home.

#donedeal

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »
The more I hear and think about this, the move to central campus, the more this makes sense. Academics married with Athletics and Aurora is a block away. It really unifies the three districts. Schroeder Field is there for expansion and Abbottsford can come tumbling down eventually.

That said, whether rumor or fantasy, MU’s Joyce Center on Michigan is not as crazy as one may think. I suspect 4never is hearing some of this in his cryptic comments.

The Admirals are in Year 2 of a eight year lease at the UWM Dump. Marquette signed a 7 year lease starting in 2018. MUs current master plan phase is expected to end in 5-6 years. And the Big East TV contract ends in seven years. MU also has had thoughts on adding hockey like Scholl’s ND. Hmmmm.

If anything, leaving this as an open-ended option provides leverage.  As is speculating about future uses such as an expansion of the convention center, even if they sound wild in 2017. I can tell you that Marquette is committed to expanding its athletic footprint.

There are desires and then there is reality. I agree that MU is trying to move pieces to make this sort of thing possible, but it is highly unlikely.

Just from a timing perspective we are going to have to have an on-campus arena ready to go by the time the seven year lease is up, not after. Current Bucks leadership doesn't need us, we have no leverage. Bringing plans to have an on-campus arena doesn't add leverage, Bucks can just as soon tell us to go pound sand.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »
There are desires and then there is reality. I agree that MU is trying to move pieces to make this sort of thing possible, but it is highly unlikely.

Just from a timing perspective we are going to have to have an on-campus arena ready to go by the time the seven year lease is up, not after. Current Bucks leadership doesn't need us, we have no leverage. Bringing plans to have an on-campus arena doesn't add leverage, Bucks can just as soon tell us to go pound sand.

And lose an income stream in the process?  They didn’t make money telling people to pound sand. They made money by determining their price points.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
And lose an income stream in the process?  They didn’t make money telling people to pound sand. They made money by determining their price points.

This presumes that they think MU is a revenue stream they can't replace.

feedback