[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Shaka on Thanasis' podcast by MarquetteMike1977
[June 14, 2024, 10:07:57 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by tower912
[June 14, 2024, 07:44:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Other Side Of Wojo's Ledger  (Read 7407 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
The Other Side Of Wojo's Ledger
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
We've had some lows with Wojo so far. But it's interesting how quickly some folks forgot about Nova.

No, that one win is not enough to justify anything. But if you're going to provide evidence for "firing" or being "anti-wojo", need to acknowledge both sides.

Here are my top positives:
1. Beating Bucky at Kohl with HE
2. Beating Villanova in Milwaukee
3. Making the tourney last year
4. Getting to see HE play his 1 year of college basketball
5. Offense - we have never had a better offense
6. Markus - Love watching him play
7. Stan's Jackets - Not really Wojo's doing but indirectly
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:15:52 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: The Other Side Of Wojo's Ledger
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
If our top positives are beating two teams who we used to beat all the time I think I'm a bit scared. (plus that Wisconsin team was just coming off an L to uwm right?)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:10:15 AM »
If our top positives are beating two teams who we used to beat all the time I think I'm a bit scared. (plus that Wisconsin team was just coming off an L to uwm right?)

Really horrible logic right here. Just god awful. Beating the number 1 team in the country is a BFD I don’t care if it’s grambling state that suddenly got that rank they’re still the number 1 team.

Beating a UW team that went on to the sweet 16 is a big deal, who cares if they were coming off a loss?

Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 11:11:25 AM »
Seeeping X last year was solid to
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
In 28 months we won't have to worry about individual teams we have beaten.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
In 28 months we won't have to worry about individual teams we have beaten.

Why? Is the program disbanding?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
Really horrible logic right here. Just god awful. Beating the number 1 team in the country is a BFD I don’t care if it’s grambling state that suddenly got that rank they’re still the number 1 team.

Beating a UW team that went on to the sweet 16 is a big deal, who cares if they were coming off a loss?

I think that right there more then anything else speaks to how far this program has fallen. Last year, beating #1 on your home floor seemed like it was David beating Goliath and a really big deal. I hate that feeling..I want the program at a point where it's the one being "hunted", where beating the #1 team on your home floor(or on theirs), is a big win, but not so big that it's floor rush worthy.

I want it to be one heavyweight vs another, exchanging blows. I long for those days.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
I think that right there more then anything else speaks to how far this program has fallen. Last year, beating #1 on your home floor seemed like it was David beating Goliath and a really big deal. I hate that feeling..I want the program at a point where it's the one being "hunted", where beating the #1 team on your home floor(or on theirs), is a big win, but not so big that it's floor rush worthy.

I want it to be one heavyweight vs another, exchanging blows. I long for those days.

Here’s a reality check for you Guru. It had happened once in this program’s history. You can worship Al all you want but the couple times he went against the no 1 team he failed. There was never a point in MU history where beating the no1 team was not going to be a big deal whether it was the crowder and DJO team losing against Cuse, Wade vs UK or any other instance of us being a “heavyweight” at that time.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »

If beating the #1 team in the regular season at home is a bfd than we have truly fallen farther then I thought. Yes it's a cool note and was fun at the time. But beating an individual team once in the regular season should not be a 4th year coaches highest achievement at a prestigious basketball program. Remember not to long ago when we had the longest current home win streak? Or being crowned the big East Champs? Those are actual big deals. Not an individual game that had minimal effect on the other team.

Oh and the badger team marquette beat was clearly not up to a sweet sixteen run at the time.

connie

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
I don't think there is any "fire Wojo" movement, except maybe at the outermost fringe of reality.  I think there is a growing "show us something more Wojo" contingent that is not bigger precisely because of the list, but frankly, other than #2, I don't know that anything on there is all that extraordinary or unreasonable for us to expect--at least from my perspective.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »
Here’s a reality check for you Guru. It had happened once in this program’s history. You can worship Al all you want but the couple times he went against the no 1 team he failed. There was never a point in MU history where beating the no1 team was not going to be a big deal whether it was the crowder and DJO team losing against Cuse, Wade vs UK or any other instance of us being a “heavyweight” at that time.

Actually al beat the number one team. He just didn't do it in the regular season.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
If beating the #1 team in the regular season at home is a bfd than we have truly fallen farther then I thought. Yes it's a cool note and was fun at the time. But beating an individual team once in the regular season should not be a 4th year coaches highest achievement at a prestigious basketball program. Remember not to long ago when we had the longest current home win streak? Or being crowned the big East Champs? Those are actual big deals. Not an individual game that had minimal effect on the other team.

Oh and the badger team marquette beat was clearly not up to a sweet sixteen run at the time.

You’re right it’s happened so many other times in our esteemed history we should treat it as no big deal. I was at MU from Lazar to Blue and at any point during that stretch beating the number 1 team would’ve been a big deal.

Have you ever actually taken a look at that Home streak? It honestly wasn’t that impressive. We didn’t exactly have the biggest teams in the house during it. Being big east champions is a big deal, did you expect it in year four of wojo when year 4 of crean and buzz didn’t have it?

So you can qualify any win by that logic? Hey the 2012-2013 team wasn’t playing their best ball when they lost to UWGB, should we go to their board and tell them that because of that their win isn’t a big deal?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
Actually al beat the number one team. He just didn't do it in the regular season.

Please tell me which game that was because the big records book on MU’s website disagrees.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
You’re right it’s happened so many other times in our esteemed history we should treat it as no big deal. I was at MU from Lazar to Blue and at any point during that stretch beating the number 1 team would’ve been a big deal.

Have you ever actually taken a look at that Home streak? It honestly wasn’t that impressive. We didn’t exactly have the biggest teams in the house during it. Being big east champions is a big deal, did you expect it in year four of wojo when year 4 of crean and buzz didn’t have it?

So you can qualify any win by that logic? Hey the 2012-2013 team wasn’t playing their best ball when they lost to UWGB, should we go to their board and tell them that because of that their win isn’t a big deal?

The win wasn't a big deal for Green Bay. Rofl.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »
The win wasn't a big deal for Green Bay. Rofl.

You’re right I mean I’m sure that team holds its head high because of the other major conference powerhouses they beat...
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
You’re right I mean I’m sure that team holds its head high because of the other major conference powerhouses they beat...

I'm positive they don't have a banner denoting the one time they beat marquette while they were on a cold streak. I'm also positive their coach didn't use it on his resume.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »
I'm positive they don't have a banner denoting the one time they beat marquette while they were on a cold streak. I'm also positive their coach didn't use it on his resume.

Do we have a banner about the nova win?

I’m confident Brian Wardle touted it as a major turning point for his program.

You find that win over the number one team Al had that every reporter who did a write up after the Nova game mysteriously forgot about.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
Do we have a banner about the nova win?

I’m confident Brian Wardle touted it as a major turning point for his program.

You find that win over the number one team Al had that every reporter who did a write up after the Nova game mysteriously forgot about.

Tom crean also beat the number 1

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2003/week/1/seasontype/3

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »

Tom crean also beat the number 1

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2003/week/1/seasontype/3

That’s not a regular season win. Even so you said Al did, now unless you think Crean’s first name was Al I’m thinking you can’t find proof for your statement.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 01:24:24 PM »
That’s not a regular season win. Even so you said Al did, now unless you think Crean’s first name was Al I’m thinking you can’t find proof for your statement.

Your right. I stated initially that it was the first regular season one. Not the first ever. Can you stop with this nonsense now?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »
Why? Is the program disbanding?

Because I believe we will have a number of NCAA Tournament wins between now and the 2nd week of April 2019.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
Your right. I stated initially that it was the first regular season one. Not the first ever. Can you stop with this nonsense now?

What nonsense? You called me out on my statement that Al hadn’t beaten the number one team and then haven’t provided any proof for it. Don’t call someone out when you’re wrong and not admit it.

Anyways I stand by my original statement that beating the number one team would always have been a big deal whether it was Buzz’s greatest years, Creans best years (which actually happened) or McGuire and every other coach with an ounce of success. We haven’t “fallen” to the point where that’s a big deal since we were never there in the first place.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:32 PM »
Bagpiping

Difference is, when Al was coach,  MU actually was the number one team that others wanted to beat. Not #1 a ton of weeks, but top ten for a decade. Beating #1 is a big deal regardless of coach and glad they did it last year. I would much prefer being the team others want to beat.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
Bagpiping

Difference is, when Al was coach,  MU actually was the number one team that others wanted to beat. Not #1 a ton of weeks, but top ten for a decade. Beating #1 is a big deal regardless of coach and glad they did it last year. I would much prefer being the team others want to beat.

I think we all do.  But the reality of the situation is that we're not there right now, and we have a ways to go to get there.  But firing out coach that is building something and starting from scratch isn't the way to do it.  If we miss the tournament this season and next, perhaps its time to start thinking about a change.  Right now?  Way too premature. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
Bagpiping

Only played 5 times as #1 ranked team.
Goal is National Championship

feedback