collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498931 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2018, 09:05:21 PM »
Not from what I’ve seen.

What have you seen?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »
I think we can safely trade Broxton, but I'm perfectly content to "make it work" with Braun and Santana on the roster to start the year. All it takes is an AJ Pollock type injury and you'll have suitors. Don't want to get too far into the year and stress your rotation into playing time they're not suited for, but a month or so won't kill anyone

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »
So long, Chief Wahoo.

The Cleveland Indians will stop using the Chief Wahoo logo on their uniforms beginning in 2019, according to Major League Baseball, which said the popular symbol was no longer appropriate for use on the field.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-logo.html

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »
So long, Chief Wahoo.

The Cleveland Indians will stop using the Chief Wahoo logo on their uniforms beginning in 2019, according to Major League Baseball, which said the popular symbol was no longer appropriate for use on the field.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-logo.html

"Consumers will still be able to purchase items with the logo on them at the team’s souvenir shops in the stadium and at retail outlets in the northern Ohio market, but those items will not be available for sale on M.L.B.’s website."

Hey we acknowledge this logo isn't appropriate.  But we can still profit off it right???

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »

"Consumers will still be able to purchase items with the logo on them at the team’s souvenir shops in the stadium and at retail outlets in the northern Ohio market, but those items will not be available for sale on M.L.B.’s website."

Hey we acknowledge this logo isn't appropriate.  But we can still profit off it right???

Baby steps?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »
Baby steps?

I know.  I know.

I still think they are missing a great opportunity to return the team to its historical roots.  Cleveland Spiders. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »
My understanding is if they don't use it in commerce, anyone could legally then take the logo and profit of it.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
From Ken Rosenthal below.  I maintain the only way the Brewers can add someone like an Archer or Fulmer is to complete wipe out their system and overpay.  I would think someone like Danny Salazar might be a more realistic trade target.

Milwaukee Brewers right fielder Domingo Santana hit 30 home runs and produced an .875 OPS last season. He is only 25, and under club control for the next four seasons. Yet, his trade value might not be all that it appears.

One rival executive dismissed Santana as a “bad defender,” while another said he is “not a winning player.” Any criticism of Santana’s defense is valid, based on the advanced metrics. But the assessment of Santana as “not a winning player” is probably too harsh. True, his strikeout rate rose in the final two months of last season, and, ideally, he would put more balls in the air. But Brewers people describe Santana as bright and mature, someone who wants to be good.

As I reported on Friday, the Brewers do not necessarily view Santana as the odd man out, believing he could team with Cain and Christian Yelich to form one of the best outfields in baseball. Center fielder Brett Phillips, under club control for the next six seasons, also could be the centerpiece of a trade for a starting pitcher.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
One rival executive dismissed Santana as a “bad defender,” while another said he is “not a winning player.” Any criticism of Santana’s defense is valid, based on the advanced metrics. But the assessment of Santana as “not a winning player” is probably too harsh. True, his strikeout rate rose in the final two months of last season, and, ideally, he would put more balls in the air. But Brewers people describe Santana as bright and mature, someone who wants to be good.

"not a winning player" lol

Sounds like something you'd state anonymously to lower his trade value for your team.

You won't get any disagreement from me or anyone else that he's a horrid defender, though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »
"not a winning player" lol

Sounds like something you'd state anonymously to lower his trade value for your team.

You won't get any disagreement from me or anyone else that he's a horrid defender, though.

Exactly.  Anybody reporting that his sources tell him a player, especially a baseball player, isn't a "winning player" doesn't have sources.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2018, 11:32:12 PM »
Exactly.  Anybody reporting that his sources tell him a player, especially a baseball player, isn't a "winning player" doesn't have sources.

Are you saying you don't believe Ken Rosenthal has MLB sources?  That would be pretty darn ignorant as he is widely regarded as the best connected and most reliable reporter in the MLB landscape.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:34 PM »
Are you saying you don't believe Ken Rosenthal has MLB sources?  That would be pretty darn ignorant as he is widely regarded as the best connected and most reliable reporter in the MLB landscape.

On this subject? No. If you can’t find a better source than a guy saying a major player on one of, if not THE, surprise team in the MLB “isn’t a winning player” then you don’t have a source. It’s one of the dumbest statements about a player. Professional athletes don’t accidentally get to where they are.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2018, 11:47:31 PM »
On this subject? No. If you can’t find a better source than a guy saying a major player on one of, if not THE, surprise team in the MLB “isn’t a winning player” then you don’t have a source. It’s one of the dumbest statements about a player. Professional athletes don’t accidentally get to where they are.

So, what then, he made it up? 

I am not surprised at all a GM or scout would say something along those lines.  Others may disagree, but I can completely buy someone saying it. 

Heck the Brewers have cut Chris Carter and given away Kris Davis recently as all HR, high K, poor defense guys in the last few years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2018, 06:09:33 AM »
Until now, I never bothered looking at Domingo's advanced metrics. Maybe 'winning baseball player'is a stupid thing to say, but it isn't hard to see why the market maybe less than expected for him. He's the classic player most GM's are avoiding these days.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2018, 11:20:01 AM »
So, what then, he made it up? 

I am not surprised at all a GM or scout would say something along those lines.  Others may disagree, but I can completely buy someone saying it. 

Heck the Brewers have cut Chris Carter and given away Kris Davis recently as all HR, high K, poor defense guys in the last few years.

Comparing Santana (.278 last year) to Carter is a bit disingenuous. And I think most would agree that giving away Khris Davis, for his low average, is one of the few mistakes Stearns has made assessing his own talent.

For the record, I'm not contesting that a GM said that. I'm sure they did. It's just a stupid hear-say quote to publish when it's backed by absolutely nothing. This is like the anonymous quotes questioning how much someone loves football right before the draft.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2018, 12:21:53 PM »
For some GMs, a guy who "isn't a winning player" might simply mean that he's a guy who puts in a ton of time and effort into one aspect of the game (i.e. hitting) but may be less interested in putting in the effort to improve his game in other areas (i.e. fielding).

Santana is also a "Three True Outcomes" hitter. He finished 4th in the NL with 46.3% of his PA resulting in a walk, K or HR (47.7% for his career). I'm sure there are plenty of GMs who don't view guys like that as "winning players."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »
Comparing Santana (.278 last year) to Carter is a bit disingenuous. And I think most would agree that giving away Khris Davis, for his low average, is one of the few mistakes Stearns has made assessing his own talent.

For the record, I'm not contesting that a GM said that. I'm sure they did. It's just a stupid hear-say quote to publish when it's backed by absolutely nothing. This is like the anonymous quotes questioning how much someone loves football right before the draft.

Fair enough and I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison.   It was just more the style of player with a high K rate, hits dingers and is a defensive liability. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2018, 08:38:41 PM »
Milwaukee pulling a Nashville. I don't think this strategy has ever worked for any team that has tried it.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/brewers-try-to-keep-cubs-fans-out-of-miller-park-this-season-473426403.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2018, 10:09:03 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
Milwaukee pulling a Nashville. I don't think this strategy has ever worked for any team that has tried it.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/brewers-try-to-keep-cubs-fans-out-of-miller-park-this-season-473426403.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand

I'm more concerned about keeping Illinois drivers off our roads.  At least while I'm on the roads.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2018, 10:11:23 PM »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2018, 11:25:31 PM »
I'm more concerned about keeping Illinois drivers off our roads.  At least while I'm on the roads.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/costs-of-wisconsin-dui-drunk-driving-families-forced-into-advocacy/

Wisconsin drivers are the ones that should concern you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2018, 11:35:56 PM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/costs-of-wisconsin-dui-drunk-driving-families-forced-into-advocacy/

Wisconsin drivers are the ones that should concern you.

I'm concerned about drunk drivers from any state.

I'm concerned about Illinois drivers.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2018, 11:55:26 PM »
I'm concerned about drunk drivers from any state.

I'm concerned about Illinois drivers.

Dumb.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2018, 12:15:25 AM »
Dumb.

If wades wants to have a narrow, parochial view, he can, but it says more about him than drivers from Illinois.  Exceeding 55 can be quite scary for some.