collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499273 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #4025 on: October 11, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »
Thoughts on the Brewers lineup choices? My take is that it's clearly a play at daring the Dodgers to play Puig, Peterson and Muncy against lefties (against whom they've been terrible) or play the inferior players (who are still above league average) in a platoon. Also sets up Chacin to be available in an elimination game 6 or 7

I very much like the idea of trotting Gio and Miley out there in games 1 & 2 and keeping Chacin in the pen until game 3.  Gio seems to be benefitting from a change in scenery and Miley has been stellar since coming off the DL.  If Brewers hold serve at home, Counsell must believe that Chacin vs Hill/Ryu gives them a better chance to steal game 3. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4026 on: October 11, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
I very much like the idea of trotting Gio and Miley out there in games 1 & 2 and keeping Chacin in the pen until game 3.  Gio seems to be benefitting from a change in scenery and Miley has been stellar since coming off the DL.  If Brewers hold serve at home, Counsell must believe that Chacin vs Hill/Ryu gives them a better chance to steal game 3.

I agree and like the pitching lineup.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4027 on: October 11, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
Pitching decisions definitely make sense. Starting with two lefties preserves maximum flexibility late in the series. You could bring Gio back late in the series in relief to try to get a couple of outs based on matchups, or to try to get the Dodgers to situationally pull Puig or Muncy. I do think that suggests the Brewers will carry at least one more pitcher though, which means that at least one of Schoop, Broxton or Santana gets left off.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4028 on: October 12, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
Brewers add Cedeno, drop Broxton from the NLCS roster. Everything else stays the same. No surprise that Cedeno gets added. I think leaving him off for the NLDS was the bigger surprise and had more to do with how the Rockies smashed lefties this year. Assuming the Brewers weren't going to carry 6 OFs again, Broxton was probably the most likely candidate to get left off - he and Granderson are a bit redundant and CC clearly values Granderson's experience. All six OFs played more than Schoop in the NLDS, though, so it'll be interesting to see what CC's plans for him are, given that Broxton is a useful defensive replacement and runner.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #4029 on: October 12, 2018, 01:18:07 PM »
Brewers add Cedeno, drop Broxton from the NLCS roster. Everything else stays the same. No surprise that Cedeno gets added. I think leaving him off for the NLDS was the bigger surprise and had more to do with how the Rockies smashed lefties this year. Assuming the Brewers weren't going to carry 6 OFs again, Broxton was probably the most likely candidate to get left off - he and Granderson are a bit redundant and CC clearly values Granderson's experience. All six OFs played more than Schoop in the NLDS, though, so it'll be interesting to see what CC's plans for him are, given that Broxton is a useful defensive replacement and runner.

I think Schoop could start a few games, maybe even tonight.  Shaw does not hit lefties well and the Dodgers are loaded with southpaws.  Plus Schoop can provide solid defense behind Gio and Miley, who aren't really big strikeout guys.  But, is Schoop better than Hernan Perez in the same role?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shaw used to clear a pitcher.  Pinch hit him against a righty reliever (Baez or Maeda) so that Roberts makes a change to a more hittable lefty.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #4030 on: October 12, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »
Unrelated to my earlier post, but I would LOVE to see some Freddy Peralta tonight.  Using Gio (ground-ball lefty) then switching to Freddy (strikeout righty) could be a devastating combo, without taxing either guy too much.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4031 on: October 12, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »
Unrelated to my earlier post, but I would LOVE to see some Freddy Peralta tonight.  Using Gio (ground-ball lefty) then switching to Freddy (strikeout righty) could be a devastating combo, without taxing either guy too much.

I think we'll see Woodruff in that roll before Freddy.  Freddy was great before there was a book out on him.  Teams have figured out if you leave the 93 MPH fast ball at the eyes alone he walks a ton of guys and gets himself into trouble.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4032 on: October 12, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
The tactical changes the two managers implement as they chase the platoon advantage is going to be fascinating. One thing that does give the Brewers advantage is that their bullpen isn't as platoon disadvantaged. Example: its true that Hader is much better against lefties than righties, but he's still well above league average against righties (in fact he's better against righties than anyone else in the pen). Another Example: Knebel has reverse splits against platoons this season. So how does Roberts react to Counsell's reactions and vice versa will be really interesting.

Having said all that, the Brewers have to plate runs, the Dodgers are going to score, the Brewers are going to need to win at least a couple of games 6-5, 7-6, etc.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4033 on: October 12, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
The tactical changes the two managers implement as they chase the platoon advantage is going to be fascinating. One thing that does give the Brewers advantage is that their bullpen isn't as platoon disadvantaged. Example: its true that Hader is much better against lefties than righties, but he's still well above league average against righties (in fact he's better against righties than anyone else in the pen). Another Example: Knebel has reverse splits against platoons this season. So how does Roberts react to Counsell's reactions and vice versa will be really interesting.

Having said all that, the Brewers have to plate runs, the Dodgers are going to score, the Brewers are going to need to win at least a couple of games 6-5, 7-6, etc.

I think the Brewers should have gone with 25 pitchers. That way, the starter could have pitched the first inning and then the other 24 could have worked 1/3 of an inning each.

Sure, scoring might have been a bit of a challenge for the Brewers in that scenario, but the more relievers the merrier, right?!?!?!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4034 on: October 12, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
I think the Brewers should have gone with 25 pitchers. That way, the starter could have pitched the first inning and then the other 24 could have worked 1/3 of an inning each.

Sure, scoring might have been a bit of a challenge for the Brewers in that scenario, but the more relievers the merrier, right?!?!?!

So do you go Bugs Bunny at the 8 other positions, or do you simply use the umpire as a backstop?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4035 on: October 12, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
So do you go Bugs Bunny at the 8 other positions, or do you simply use the umpire as a backstop?
Ghost runners on offense for sure
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4036 on: October 12, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »
Woody giving me wood.

What the actual eff?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4037 on: October 12, 2018, 09:03:28 PM »
I was of the strong opinion three or four times already that CC was making the wrong move...and been completely wrong each time. 

Twelve outs to go.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4038 on: October 12, 2018, 09:04:32 PM »
Woody giving me wood.

What the actual eff?

Hate ta tink watt Hader gives ya, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4039 on: October 12, 2018, 09:14:47 PM »

Hate ta tink watt Hader gives ya, aina?

Hader didn’t take Kershaw deep down 1-0 out of the pen.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4040 on: October 12, 2018, 11:08:00 PM »
God these games are too long.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4041 on: October 12, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »
I don't understand letting Hader pitch 3 innings at all. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4042 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:15 PM »

Why wouldn’t they “let” him pitch 3 innings?

Thank God they DID “let” him pitch 3 innings. Crew loses if he only goes 2.

He rarely pitches just 1 inning and rarely pitches back to back nights. Travel day Sunday. He’s getting 2 days of rest. Ride him as long as you can.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4043 on: October 12, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
It’s fine. He hasn’t pitched for what...six days?  God this FS1 group is insufferable.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4044 on: October 12, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »
Why wouldn’t they “let” him pitch 3 innings?

Thank God they DID “let” him pitch 3 innings. Crew loses if he only goes 2.

He rarely pitches just 1 inning and rarely pitches back to back nights. Travel day Sunday. He’s getting 2 days of rest. Ride him as long as you can.

Yeah especially with Jeffress hitting a bump in the road.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4045 on: October 12, 2018, 11:34:15 PM »
It’s fine. He hasn’t pitched for what...six days?  God this FS1 group is insufferable.
David Ortiz is borderline unbearable

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4046 on: October 12, 2018, 11:59:35 PM »

Guess they thought this was a pretty big game. Guess you disagree.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4047 on: October 13, 2018, 07:53:25 AM »
I was at the game so didn't hear the commentary - was it really that bad?

Look, objectively you would have liked to be able to save Jeffress and/or Knebel in this one, so they have a point that they had to dig into the heart of our pen. But clearly Hader going multiple was part of the plan; otherwise there wasn't much reason to lift Woodruff for Santana, who only hit a 2 RBI single as opposed to a 3R HR. But all except Hader will be free tonight, and I'd expect them to try to get 4 out of Miley with 2-3 out of Burnes.

Should be a fun series, and if they can get Yelich and Cain rolling at the same time this postseason, they actually have a shot at this.

I'll say this - wow that Dodgers lineup never ends. Not one spot that you say, "Great, we can put in a lesser reliever against the bottom of the order". Every one of them has a .800 OPS and 25 HRs. It should be no surprise they finally found a way to break through

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4048 on: October 13, 2018, 08:14:44 AM »
They could even bring in Hader in to face a batter or two.  He has had plenty of rest and will have an off day Sunday.

Look it may not work due to the potency of LA's line-up, but that doesn't mean that Counsell over-managed his bullpen.  That was the essence of the studio's criticism. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4049 on: October 13, 2018, 08:25:36 AM »
I was at the game so didn't hear the commentary - was it really that bad?

Look, objectively you would have liked to be able to save Jeffress and/or Knebel in this one, so they have a point that they had to dig into the heart of our pen. But clearly Hader going multiple was part of the plan; otherwise there wasn't much reason to lift Woodruff for Santana, who only hit a 2 RBI single as opposed to a 3R HR. But all except Hader will be free tonight, and I'd expect them to try to get 4 out of Miley with 2-3 out of Burnes.

Should be a fun series, and if they can get Yelich and Cain rolling at the same time this postseason, they actually have a shot at this.

I'll say this - wow that Dodgers lineup never ends. Not one spot that you say, "Great, we can put in a lesser reliever against the bottom of the order". Every one of them has a .800 OPS and 25 HRs. It should be no surprise they finally found a way to break through

My biggest worry about Game 1 was our bullpen would be a bit rusty and it would cost us. That was big to get the win tonight. Other than the triple, it didn’t seem like anyone got hit hard. Jeffress had some bad luck. I’m glad we pitched our guys to shake some rust off and still come out with the win. They had a bunch of rest and Sunday is an off day.