[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498539 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3875 on: October 03, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
A few thoughts ...

9. Before the 3-2 pitch to Gore in the 13th, A-Rod said the Cubs should have given Gore the take sign. If it was a strike, so be it, he'd be out. But A-Rod felt it wasn't worth taking the chance that such a terrible hitter would swing at Ball 4. I nodded in agreement. 5 seconds later ... Strike 3 on a ball almost in the dirt.

Even before A-Rod's comment, I said there can only be 2 things Maddon should signal. Either bunt (doesn't matter if there are two strikes as he will K on any pitch over the plate anyway). Or leave the bat on your shoulder.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3876 on: October 03, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
I'm kind of surprised that Ron Roenicke's name hasn't been brought up as a potential manager the last couple of years.  I thought he was pretty successful in Milwaukee and has a good reputation.

MarqKarp

• Starter
« Reply #3877 on: October 03, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »
Can anybody help me out?

A couple buddies from WI and I will be hanging out in the Twin Cities this weekend.   Anybody know of a Brewer friendly sports bar in the Twin Cities to catch Sunday's game?   I wouldn't ask, except that the Brewers game is the same time as the Viking game and makes harder to find a good place for Brewer Baseball.

Appreciate any advice.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3878 on: October 03, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »
Ring up BeeJay. He'll hook ya up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3879 on: October 03, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »

Some will call it reactionary, but I’m done with Maddon. I can’t think of the last time I was truly pleased or impressed with what he did. He was terrible in the 2017 playoffs too. He can drive Chili Davis out of town.

Even though I'm not a Cub fan, I don't think you could be more wrong.

This is ALL on Theo.

1) He spent Mega-$$$$$ for 2 very questionable pitchers who showed why there were so many questions on them.

2) He ignored the team's biggest need - hitters at the top of the lineup. He fell in love with Happ (who I think will be a good player), Almora (just a guy), and Russell (a poor man's Jordy Mercer). Cain was available to Theo. He could have gotten Yelich with a combo of the above players and maybe a minor leaguer. Instead, his off-season was a miserable failure.

He gave Joe nothing for the top of the lineup. He failed to recognize how important it is to have "dominant" arms in the pen.

Joe made some mistakes, but all managers do.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3880 on: October 03, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
When do teams have to announce their 25? Two preductions: Crew goes with 12 pitchers and Santana earns the last spot.

Thumbs up to the 40ish players that got us here. Freddy, Eric, Keon, etc.

EDITED:  Turns out the deadline for the WC game is day before, but deadline to set the DS roster is the morning of Game 1 (around 9:00a CT).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:52:31 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3881 on: October 03, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »
As a fan of the sport, I want to see Brewers vs. As more than any other series. Two new faces, small market teams, and two great bullpens.

As a Brewer fan living in Texas, I want to see Brewers vs. Astros so I can drive down for a game!

I am looking forward to #28, though a long shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3882 on: October 03, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »
I am looking forward to #28, though a long shot.

Kinda funny that the Yankee$ are flying under the radar.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3883 on: October 03, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
I'm kind of surprised that Ron Roenicke's name hasn't been brought up as a potential manager the last couple of years.  I thought he was pretty successful in Milwaukee and has a good reputation.
Because Mark F'ing Kotsay.
In CF
Over Carlos Gomez
In the NLCS

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3884 on: October 03, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »
Because Mark F'ing Kotsay.
In CF
Over Carlos Gomez
In the NLCS

Seriously?  Kotsay was .400 lifetime against Carpenter and went 1 for 2 with a HR and 2 BB's in that game.  Gomez was already splitting time with T-Plush at CF and was 0 for 5 in games 1 & 2.  If anything, not starting Kotsay in that game would have been managerial negligence.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3885 on: October 03, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
Seriously?  Kotsay was .400 lifetime against Carpenter and went 1 for 2 with a HR and 2 BB's in that game.  Gomez was already splitting time with T-Plush at CF and was 0 for 5 in games 1 & 2.  If anything, not starting Kotsay in that game would have been managerial negligence.
Disagree

You want his bat in the line-up? Ok.  In CF, a position he rarely had ever played, while declining in skills, while a gold glove caliber CF was available?  No.

And we can add starting Shaun Marcum, who's arm was falling off, for game 6.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:50:00 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3886 on: October 03, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »
Brewers v Yankees would be outstanding. 

Ludum habemus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3887 on: October 03, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
Brewers v Yankees would be outstanding.

In the fall of my senior year, 1981, the Brewers and Yankees met in a weird little series. The season was split into two "halves" because of a strike, and the leader at the time of the strike (in AL East, the Yankees) met the team with the best record for the remainder of the season after the resumption of play (Brewers). The winner of the series would go on to play in the ALCS.

I was a big Yankees fan back then and the first two games of the series at County Stadium - which the Yankees won. The Brewers then won the twice at Yankee Stadium to force a fifth game (also in NY), which the Yankees won.

In Game 2, Lou Piniella and Reggie Jackson homered, Dave Righetti got the win, and Goose got the save. I remember going nuts when Reggie went yard, much to the chagrin of my Brewer-fan friends.

Haven't been a Yankee fan (or fan of any MLB team) since the mid-80s ... but rooting for the Crew now!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3888 on: October 03, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
Disagree

You want his bat in the line-up? Ok.  In CF, a position he rarely had ever played, while declining in skills, while a gold glove caliber CF was available?  No.

Gallardo and Carpenter were the starters for that game.  Gallardo was coming off a career season and a stellar NLDS performance and had very favorable groundout and line drive percentages such that even when the ball was aired to the outfield, the vast majority were lazy fly balls or HR's (i.e. CF range/defense irrelevant).

Carpenter, on the other hand, was having a middling season both overall and against the Brewers.  I don't want to speak for managerial decisions, but with Gallardo on the mound, you can't blame a manager for trading offense for defense in Game 3, especially after coming off a blowout loss at home in Game 2.

BTW: That picture is from Game 4... Kotsay started that game in RF and was replaced by Gomez for defense late.  Nevertheless, Brewers won that game, so doesn't really help your case against RR.

As far as Game 6, Marcum was clearly out of gas at the end of September (turns out he was hurt) and should have been shut down after Game 3 vs. Arizona... but what was the alternative at that point?  If Marcum was gassed, Narveson was DOA.  You could have thrown Gallardo back in there on 3 days' rest, but then you're bringing Randy Wolf back on 3 days' rest.

Listen, we were all more than nauseous going into Game 6 with Marcum on the mound (I had to give my tickets to my mother because I just couldn't bear to be there in person), but there was some solace that if Marcum could have pulled something out of his 6 or if the offense could pick him up, you had your ace on the mound in Game 7, at home.  It's one of those damned-if-you-do/don't situations where the manager is a genius if it works and a moron if it doesn't.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3889 on: October 03, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
Disagree

All that said, I really am enjoying debating the debacle of 2011 given the current situation... as optimistic as I was 24 hours ago, I'm 200% more optimistic now about the Crew marching through the NL.  Kershaw and Ryu be damned... Brewers are invincible simply on the basis that they have no necessary evils (a la Shaun Marcum and Mark Kotsay) on their current roster.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3890 on: October 03, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
Gallardo and Carpenter were the starters for that game.  Gallardo was coming off a career season and a stellar NLDS performance and had very favorable groundout and line drive percentages such that even when the ball was aired to the outfield, the vast majority were lazy fly balls or HR's (i.e. CF range/defense irrelevant).

Carpenter, on the other hand, was having a middling season both overall and against the Brewers.  I don't want to speak for managerial decisions, but with Gallardo on the mound, you can't blame a manager for trading offense for defense in Game 3, especially after coming off a blowout loss at home in Game 2.

BTW: That picture is from Game 4... Kotsay started that game in RF and was replaced by Gomez for defense late.  Nevertheless, Brewers won that game, so doesn't really help your case against RR.

As far as Game 6, Marcum was clearly out of gas at the end of September (turns out he was hurt) and should have been shut down after Game 3 vs. Arizona... but what was the alternative at that point?  If Marcum was gassed, Narveson was DOA.  You could have thrown Gallardo back in there on 3 days' rest, but then you're bringing Randy Wolf back on 3 days' rest.

Listen, we were all more than nauseous going into Game 6 with Marcum on the mound (I had to give my tickets to my mother because I just couldn't bear to be there in person), but there was some solace that if Marcum could have pulled something out of his 6 or if the offense could pick him up, you had your ace on the mound in Game 7, at home.  It's one of those damned-if-you-do/don't situations where the manager is a genius if it works and a moron if it doesn't.

I think the major issue was that EVERYONE knew that Marcum was going to suck.  And he did giving up four in the first.

That being said, I thought Roenicke did a good job with that team over his tenure.  I mean, freaking Bud Black got a second chance at being a manager after eight seasons of .477 ball and never making the playoffs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3891 on: October 03, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »
Even though I'm not a Cub fan, I don't think you could be more wrong.

This is ALL on Theo.

1) He spent Mega-$$$$$ for 2 very questionable pitchers who showed why there were so many questions on them.

2) He ignored the team's biggest need - hitters at the top of the lineup. He fell in love with Happ (who I think will be a good player), Almora (just a guy), and Russell (a poor man's Jordy Mercer). Cain was available to Theo. He could have gotten Yelich with a combo of the above players and maybe a minor leaguer. Instead, his off-season was a miserable failure.

He gave Joe nothing for the top of the lineup. He failed to recognize how important it is to have "dominant" arms in the pen.

Joe made some mistakes, but all managers do.

Its both.  I mean, this team still won 95 games.  They didn't have great depth, but its not horrible.  If they missed the playoffs, maybe.  But they had enough talent and pieces to win the division and see what you got in October.

Russell, scumbag behavior aside, is a Gold Glove caliber SS, that's why he's in there.  I figure you're trolling about Mercer, but come on.  Russell has a better OPS and is a better fielder, and he's still younger than when Mercer made his MLB debut, 4 seasons in.  But he's gone, so whatever.

I was not a Darvish fan, still am not, but he had been durable post-Tommy John, 30 starts, 200ish innings the last two years.  Consistency, not injury was the potential issue.  Cant bury that just yet.  But Chatwood is an unmitigated disaster, and thats on Theo.  As for the bullpen, he got Cishek, he got Morrow.  Again you dont expect the latter to miss as much time as he did.  When 2 of your 4 biggest pitching signings get hurt and 1 is a disaster, it can look like you didn't do enough.

But I do agree 100% about the top of the order.  They never replaced Dexter Fowler.  Happ and Almora are nothing more than 4th outfielders.  Love Schwarber, but its time to explore trading him to the AL where he belongs.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3892 on: October 03, 2018, 04:43:56 PM »
That sucked, but wait until next year!

Well, of course, but they will have to do without Addison for 40 games, unless he is able to appeal and get it reduced or....

or just go straight to rehab??

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24883798/chicago-cubs-shortstop-addison-russell-suspended-40-games-mlb

don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3893 on: October 03, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »
Brewers going with the out getters pitching rotation for game 1.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3894 on: October 03, 2018, 04:55:29 PM »
Brewers going with the out getters pitching rotation for game 1.

And Chachin is pitching on short rest for game 2, but won't go deep into the game.

I think it makes sense. 2/3 of the Crew's top pitchers are southpaws and Rockies devour lefthanders. Try to build a 2-0 lead, risk a lefty in game 3, and then probably do another bullpen game if it gets to 4.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3895 on: October 03, 2018, 05:06:20 PM »

Russell, scumbag behavior aside, is a Gold Glove caliber SS, that's why he's in there.  I figure you're trolling about Mercer, but come on.  Russell has a better OPS and is a better fielder, and he's still younger than when Mercer made his MLB debut, 4 seasons in.  But he's gone, so whatever.

I was not a Darvish fan, still am not, but he had been durable post-Tommy John, 30 starts, 200ish innings the last two years.  Consistency, not injury was the potential issue.  Cant bury that just yet.  But Chatwood is an unmitigated disaster, and thats on Theo.  As for the bullpen, he got Cishek, he got Morrow.  Again you dont expect the latter to miss as much time as he did.  When 2 of your 4 biggest pitching signings get hurt and 1 is a disaster, it can look like you didn't do enough.

Of course you expected Morrow to miss time as it was just a question of when, not if, he would get hurt. 30 IP is right in line with what he has been able to pitch for the last 5 years. Why would they expect different?Shoulda resigned Davis.

Don't understand why people think Russell is anything special.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3896 on: October 03, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »

Agree on Marcum.  The hope was he could miraculously pull something out of the hat, but he had proven over the six weeks that that was at best a pipe dream.  Virtually anyone would have been a better choice.

The picture I pulled was captioned as the fly ball from Jay that he missed, so if it was from a different game I'm sorry.  As write ups said afterwards, its a ball Morgan gets to, and one CarGo catches standing up.  But between him getting picked off 2nd and missing that fly ball, we were down 4-0 in a blink.

Kotsay was some weird talisman for Roenicke and he put the guy in a position to fail horribly. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3897 on: October 03, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »
Shoulda resigned Davis.

Don't understand why people think Russell is anything special.

Def wish they would have.

And cause he’s an All Star and Gold Glove caliber defender. I think Brandon Crawford is his conservative potential if healthy and out of trouble. Not untradeable, but not “just a guy”
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:28:41 PM by JWags85 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3898 on: October 04, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
Woodruff with the start. Crew goes with 11 pitchers, leaving most of the lefty guys in the clubhouse. Santana and Broxton get the nod. I gotta give Couns and Stearns credit. They studied the analytics because all 25 will play key roles these next handful.  Expect hockey line changes if they advance.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3899 on: October 04, 2018, 12:32:32 PM »
Kinda funny that the Yankee$ are flying under the radar.

The Red $ox, Cub$ and A$tro$ all have bigger payroll than the Yanks, not to mention the Met$.