collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499239 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3750 on: September 30, 2018, 07:42:10 PM »
The Tigers have not been playing for draft position at any point this year.    They aren't good, but they haven't tanked.

I don't think players hardly ever tank - it's not in their DNA. Front offices do, though. Detroit was part of that group.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3751 on: September 30, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
Not that they roll over, but you manage a game differently if it is a must win vs a who cares.

As evidenced by repeatedly pitching right at Yelich. Tigers had a couple of good, timely hits on Fri/Sat but there was nothing strategic done to get a W

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3752 on: September 30, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3753 on: September 30, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
Quintana going for the Cubs tomorrow. 
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3754 on: September 30, 2018, 09:52:51 PM »
Where did you get that from?  I specifically mentioned White Sox and Tigers.  Both laid down like two bit hookers. As a fan, it would be great to see your division rivals to end the season versus two teams who folded six months ago.

I think the point was that it’s impossible for division rivals to match up on the last weekend of the regular season... not only are there 15 in each league, only 5 in the division.  Someone gets left out.  Someone has to play AL.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #3755 on: October 01, 2018, 03:50:17 AM »
Nothing like two day games on Monday. Thanks, MLB.

You can't really have a night game in this situation.  The loser of the game in LA has to fly, today, to either Chicago or Milwaukee for a game tomorrow.  Even if you start the game in LA at 5pm local time, it doesn't finish until (probably) 10:30pm central time, then the losing team has to get to the airport, fly, bus to hotel, etc.  That puts them at their final destination in the wee hours of the morning.  If you play the game in Chicago at night, then the west coast team has the same problem, waiting to see where to fly.  Maybe not ideal situation for fans who have to work, but it's the only way it can be done.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:51:48 AM by ChuckyChip »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3756 on: October 01, 2018, 07:07:23 AM »
You can't really have a night game in this situation.  The loser of the game in LA has to fly, today, to either Chicago or Milwaukee for a game tomorrow.  Even if you start the game in LA at 5pm local time, it doesn't finish until (probably) 10:30pm central time, then the losing team has to get to the airport, fly, bus to hotel, etc.  That puts them at their final destination in the wee hours of the morning.  If you play the game in Chicago at night, then the west coast team has the same problem, waiting to see where to fly.  Maybe not ideal situation for fans who have to work, but it's the only way it can be done.

Also ESPN doesn't want it running in MNF.  MLB could do some good by flipping the NL/AL wild card and playoff series starts, but TV contracts...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3757 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:14 AM »

This. The Cubs/Crew already have a distinct advantage over the losing west coast team because of the lack of any real travel.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3758 on: October 01, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »
I’m hoping Anderson is the starter and Chacin starts the next game. I don’t want to go with a bullpen game in the event we need to play tomorrow.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3759 on: October 01, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
I think the point was that it’s impossible for division rivals to match up on the last weekend of the regular season... not only are there 15 in each league, only 5 in the division.  Someone gets left out.  Someone has to play AL.

Again, we all get the point why. The discussion was how come the fan, who has invested themselves in 162+ games, gets a "Wisconsin Handshake" at the end of the year, playing teams who gave up months ago, with a craptacular playoff system, and the ridicululous jammed in travel for these short series to only accommodate TV.

We all know MLB isn't going to change it. But, it doesn't mean we (the fans) can't complain about their product and delivery. It's far from climatic.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3760 on: October 01, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »
I’m hoping Anderson is the starter and Chacin starts the next game. I don’t want to go with a bullpen game in the event we need to play tomorrow.

If the Brewers fall behind I hope all of the high leverage guys rest.  I think the 40 man roster still applies for game 163 so some burner arms should be available.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3761 on: October 01, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
Again, we all get the point why. The discussion was how come the fan, who has invested themselves in 162+ games, gets a "Wisconsin Handshake" at the end of the year, playing teams who gave up months ago, with a craptacular playoff system, and the ridicululous jammed in travel for these short series to only accommodate TV.

We all know MLB isn't going to change it. But, it doesn't mean we (the fans) can't complain about their product and delivery. It's far from climatic.

So what do you want? MLB to perfectly predict the season outcome?

Yankees vs Red Sox on the last weekend decided nothing.  It's easy to nitpick in hindsight about the Cubs and Brewers but it could have just as easily been as meaningless as Yankees vs Red Sox.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3762 on: October 01, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »

Chacin announced as the starter.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3763 on: October 01, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »

I never heard of a "Wisconsin Handshake," but the schedule is made up a year in advance.

If you want to complain about the playoff system, go ahead.  If you want to complain about travel, fine.  But complaining about matchups whose relevance are essentially a dice roll really discredits the rest of the argument.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3764 on: October 01, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »

What jammed up schedule are you talking about?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3765 on: October 01, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
If the Brewers fall behind I hope all of the high leverage guys rest.  I think the 40 man roster still applies for game 163 so some burner arms should be available.

40 man today, 25 tomorrow or Thursday

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3766 on: October 01, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »

Yankees vs Red Sox on the last weekend decided nothing.  It's easy to nitpick in hindsight about the Cubs and Brewers but it could have just as easily been as meaningless as Yankees vs Red Sox.

How many WS have the Cubs and Brewers won compared to the Yankees and Red Sox. When the the Yanks and Red Sox play it is never meaningless; unless you are a meaningless Cubs' or Brewers' fan.

I get it; this is a Cubs, Brewers and White Sox thread.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3767 on: October 01, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »
How many WS have the Cubs and Brewers won compared to the Yankees and Red Sox. When the the Yanks and Red Sox play it is never meaningless; unless you are a meaningless Cubs' or Brewers' fan.

I get it; this is a Cubs, Brewers and White Sox thread.

I meant meaningless as in the division was already decided and the Yankees were locked into #1 wildcard. You read way too much into my comment.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3768 on: October 01, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »

I want divisional teams to determine their fates.  Let's take 2013-2019.  The Cubs finished or will finish all 7 years against a division or at least a NL foe.  The Brewers were scheduled 3 out of 7 against a division foe to end and only once in from 2016-19.  So it can be done.

The Sox and the Tigers threw in the towel two years ago.  And if they didn't, who cares. From a fan's standpoint, I want to see teams go head to head at the end to see who wins.  This isn't rocket science.

As to jamming it in.  The reward for making the post-season after 162 games is to jan in tie breakers followed with crappy travel for two teams on a quick turnaround for one jammed in sudden death game.  You know what, cut down on the games against AA teams then. So much for the fans and players.

I know, you Intelligencia will say "so what, that's the rules".  Well, those rules making watching baseball near unbearable this time of year. It's simply a crappy product.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3769 on: October 01, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »
Cubs having lot of trouble selling tickets for this tiebreaker game. Secondary market flooded with tickets at half face value right now.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3770 on: October 01, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »
Cubs having lot of trouble selling tickets for this tiebreaker game. Secondary market flooded with tickets at half face value right now.

But hey, MNF won't be disrupted, hey?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3771 on: October 01, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »
It’s crazy on Stubhub right now, prices crashing by the minute. Bleacher seat now $20 (face $74). Was $35 lowest bleacher five minutes ago.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3772 on: October 01, 2018, 11:49:13 AM »

Cubs arent having trouble. they sold out minus standing room. Scalpers are the ones struggling.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3773 on: October 01, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
Cubs arent having trouble. they sold out minus standing room. Scalpers are the ones struggling.

The Cubs released 1500 seats at 9am on Ticketmaster, they didn't sell out.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3774 on: October 01, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »
The Cubs released 1500 seats at 9am on Ticketmaster, they didn't sell out.

Went on at 10am. Could only buy standing

feedback