collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498888 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3575 on: September 26, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
You don't think there's a reason that "this stuff gets hung around the Cardinals neck a lot?"

I think we say Cardinals when we really mean LaRussa. He was just baseball's version of JayBee.

Matheny did it too, but he was just a brutally bad manager who worshipped LaRussa.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3576 on: September 26, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »
In light of this very valuable information,  I have changed my position and agree that the Cardinals are the bad guys and no other team would ever take part in nonsensical unwritten rules.

Only the sith deal in absolutes?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3577 on: September 26, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »
I think Benny was insinuating that the Cubs are going to end up playing the Cardinals in the Wild Card game

SMH.  Thanks for ruining it, ruiner.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #3578 on: September 26, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »
I realize that the MUScoop Cubs fans have gone into hiding from this thread ever since they *conveniently* realized that "Brewers fans bring out the worst in them" (it was just coincidental timing that this realization came right after the Brewers really tightened up the NL Central race by winning the series at Wrigley), so this will fall on deaf ears (until the Cubs beat either the Brewers or Cardinals in the NLDS), but yeesh are Joe Maddon's comments on the Russell situation disturbing.  He hasn't and won't read it and won't be swayed either way until an investigation is complete because anybody can write anything on the internet.

Keep it classy, Joe.

Some of us are still here.  I just tend not to post (not sure I've even posted in this thread yet).  Two things: 1) Yes, very disturbing.  Nothing else to really say.  I think baseball is handling it correctly. 

2) For those saying that this is "getting interesting" - The way the Cubs offense has looked this month, I'm not sure it's that interesting.  I think the Brewers and Cubs go into the weekend series tied (Brewers win today and Cubs split the next two with Pittsburgh) and I think the Brewers win the division by 1-2 games (sweep Detroit, Cubs win 1 or 2 against STL).  Cubs could host Colorado or LAD and be done by this time next week. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3579 on: September 26, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
Some of us are still here.  I just tend not to post (not sure I've even posted in this thread yet).  Two things: 1) Yes, very disturbing.  Nothing else to really say.  I think baseball is handling it correctly. 

2) For those saying that this is "getting interesting" - The way the Cubs offense has looked this month, I'm not sure it's that interesting.  I think the Brewers and Cubs go into the weekend series tied (Brewers win today and Cubs split the next two with Pittsburgh) and I think the Brewers win the division by 1-2 games (sweep Detroit, Cubs win 1 or 2 against STL).  Cubs could host Colorado or LAD and be done by this time next week.

I hope you're right on #2.  As a Brewers fan, it's tough to believe we will continue our success in the Playoffs until I see it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3580 on: September 26, 2018, 10:56:59 AM »
Sure, that's fair.  Though neither guy is there now.  But there are 29 other teams that do it, granted to different degrees, but everyone does it.

It's not a "nobody else does it thing" it's a "nobody has been as flagrant or as in your face about it" kind of thing. Maybe the Cardinals aren't doing it as much now, but if you've been an a-hole about it for 20 years previously you shouldn't be surprised when that reputation continues to haunt you.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3581 on: September 26, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »
I hope you're right on #2.  As a Brewers fan, it's tough to believe we will continue our success in the Playoffs until I see it.

On paper there isn't anything to say the Brewers can't continue it, especially as they would have homefield through out if they win the division. However, games aren't played on paper....they're played in television sets. Anywho, I think I'm most concerned about the team(especially pitching) getting tight in the playoffs because from manager on down we have little to no playoff experience. At some point that is going to matter.

Ideal scenario is win the division, Cubs lose to Rockies because I absolutely do not want to see the Cubs in the playoffs with their experience and Maddon at the helm. Though I will say, if the Brewers play a seven game series against the Cubs the Miller Park games will be awesome because I think Brewer fans will actually soak up those tickets instead of selling.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3582 on: September 26, 2018, 11:04:29 AM »
As a Brewers fan, it's tough to believe we will continue our success in the Playoffs until I see it.

I think I'm most concerned about the team(especially pitching) getting tight in the playoffs because from manager on down we have little to no playoff experience. At some point that is going to matter.

This team just doesn't feel like a great team, you know? I think Stearns, CC and the Crew are a little ahead of the curve on three true outcome baseball and the primacy of a strong bullpen over SPs, but my subjective lizard brain is just too slow to keep up/believe it when its the 5th inning and I'm on my third High Life.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3583 on: September 26, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »
I actually think the Brewers are very good, and that only the Dodgers might be a better team in the NL this season.  I think Stearns did an outstanding job of adding a number of very professional hitters who will grind out at bats and give you positive at bats even if they result in an out, which is what you need from your offense in the Postseason.  There will also be a number of good options off the bench to pinch hit late in games in the Playoffs.  And the bullpen is about as good as it gets, which in my opinion is more important than starters going into the Postseason.

Just mentally as a Brewers fan I have a hard time getting myself excited about the possibilities of even winning the division.  My mind just tells me, "Knowing the Brewers, they'll complete the sweep of the Cards, the Cubs will get swept by the Pirates, and then the Brewers will drop 2 of 3 at home to the Tigers."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3584 on: September 26, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »
I'm with you. Statistically and rationally, they're a legit contender. Its the combo of Brewers history, and that this team was put together so differently than the 2011 team that has made it harder for me to feel all in. That 2011 team had the top end SPs that psychologically legitimizes a contender - even if statistically, you're no worse off if you have a bullpen like MKE's.  Using the cobbled together rotation and leaning on the bullpen might be no worse a strategy, it just feels more hand to mouth.  And the lineup of the 2011 team was so homegrown, it + Tony Plush gave it a very "team of destiny" feel (shut up, dgies).   

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3585 on: September 26, 2018, 11:22:01 AM »
Things are getting verrrrrry interesting.

After today's games, Brewers get a nice day off while Cubbies will again have to play a Pittsburgh team that has stoned their bats most of the season. Then, while Brewers finish with 3 vs Tigers, Cubbies have to contend with a desperate Cardinals team.

Verrrrrrry interesting.

The Cubs had every opportunity to put this to bed over the past month. Those two series against the Brewers coupled with crapping the bed against mediocre teams has killed their momentum. I'm expecting the AL champ to win the WS regardless, but they certainly aren't going into the playoffs with the look of a title contender.

But hey, the 2006 Cards won the World Series after a miserable September, so who knows?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3586 on: September 26, 2018, 11:23:22 AM »
I'm with you. Statistically and rationally, they're a legit contender. Its the combo of Brewers history, and that this team was put together so differently than the 2011 team that has made it harder for me to feel all in. That 2011 team had the top end SPs that psychologically legitimizes a contender - even if statistically, you're no worse off if you have a bullpen like MKE's.  Using the cobbled together rotation and leaning on the bullpen might be no worse a strategy, it just feels more hand to mouth.  And the lineup of the 2011 team was so homegrown, it + Tony Plush gave it a very "team of destiny" feel (shut up, dgies).   

I think the difference is that the bullpen approach requires a high level of faith that the manager can pull the right strings at the right time and the players can deliver. I'm not CC can't do that, but there is nothing to say that All-Star Break CC can't show up during the playoffs as opposed to May/September CC

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3587 on: September 26, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »
Anywho, I think I'm most concerned about the team(especially pitching) getting tight in the playoffs because from manager on down we have little to no playoff experience. At some point that is going to matter.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qvZtn5jwZ1Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qvZtn5jwZ1Y</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2FR5c8p1GCI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2FR5c8p1GCI</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BsdA1zzR0Ng" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BsdA1zzR0Ng</a>

https://www.mlb.com/news/craig-counsell-is-d-backs-unlikely-2001-hero/c-295719092
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:28:36 AM by Benny B »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3588 on: September 26, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qvZtn5jwZ1Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qvZtn5jwZ1Y</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2FR5c8p1GCI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2FR5c8p1GCI</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BsdA1zzR0Ng" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BsdA1zzR0Ng</a>

My bad, didn't realize he was calling his own number and managing the pen there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3589 on: September 26, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »
I think the difference is that the bullpen approach requires a high level of faith that the manager can pull the right strings at the right time and the players can deliver. I'm not CC can't do that, but there is nothing to say that All-Star Break CC can't show up during the playoffs as opposed to May/September CC

I think the first half of August CC was the bad CC.  September has been great.  The Brewers are 15-7 in September and have 10 of the last 11 series, including this series with the Cards.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3590 on: September 26, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
My bad, didn't realize he was calling his own number and managing the pen there.

Given, but he has postseason experience.  The guy went to Notre Dame, so he's obviously smarter than anyone else in MLB... one would presume he picked up a few things via observation at some point during an extensive post-season career.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:55:12 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3592 on: September 26, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
Let me just reiterate that no matter whether the Brewers (yes) or Cubs (no) win the division, it is a travesty that loser has a one game play-in to the real playoffs.

I freaking hate the 2nd wild card.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3593 on: September 26, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
Only the sith deal in absolutes?
Damn!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3594 on: September 26, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3595 on: September 26, 2018, 12:35:06 PM »
Let me just reiterate that no matter whether the Brewers (yes) or Cubs (no) win the division, it is a travesty that loser has a one game play-in to the real playoffs.

I freaking hate the 2nd wild card.

This.  Let's just take the Cards for example.  Haven't the Crew and Cubs demonstrated their superiority over 162?  The fact that they get a 'chance' to undo that is a dumb sideshow.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3596 on: September 26, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
This.  Let's just take the Cards for example.  Haven't the Crew and Cubs demonstrated their superiority over 162?  The fact that they get a 'chance' to undo that is a dumb sideshow.

It's called the playoffs.  Other sports have them too.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3597 on: September 26, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »

It's called the playoffs.  Other sports have them too.

Agreed. Ideally in my mind it would be a best of 3, but it was meant to keep more teams in the race longer. MLB has the smallest playoff field. It’s a bummer if the WC1 team loses, but as a fan of a team that rarely makes the playoffs, i appreciate bumping the odds of getting in up a bit.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3598 on: September 26, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »
Agreed. Ideally in my mind it would be a best of 3, but it was meant to keep more teams in the race longer. MLB has the smallest playoff field. It’s a bummer if the WC1 team loses, but as a fan of a team that rarely makes the playoffs, i appreciate bumping the odds of getting in up a bit.

That would be fine by me.  Look, we all discussed this a few pages back.  No need to rehash.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3599 on: September 26, 2018, 12:55:45 PM »
Best of 3 would be eminently more reasonable.  Of the three major sports (sorry, hockey), baseball by far has the most randomness in a single game.  To play a redicuously long season and then have one game out of 163 potentially knock out the team with the 2nd best record in the league is a crappy idea.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:58:29 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.